IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carrie

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 49: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

"Carrie White burns in Hell!"

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
8 July 2002

"Carrie" is surely one of the best horror movies of the 70's.It is filled with great acting,suspense and maturity.Younger horror fans who expect fast action and lots of gore will be disappointed,but if you're a real horror fan you can't miss it.The score by Pino Donaggio is fabulous and still gives me creeps!A must see-possibly the best De Palma's flick ever made(although "Sisters" and "Dressed to Kill" come close).

The last word on high school

Author: Nigel St. Buggering from Seattle, WA
1 August 2000

If you're looking for the definitive statement on the experience of high school and being a teenager, forget about "The Breakfast Club". "Carrie" goes deeper and more effectively into the subject than any shallow John Hughes treatment could ever hope to.

Of course, it's all served up with a large dose of allegory. Regrettably, few of us ever had the capacity for revenge that Carrie White does. But the truth is here: the mindless cruelty of fellow students, the first attempts to establish independence from parents. This horror film has more reality to it than any ten "realistic" teen films.

Additionally, it's in this early DePalma film that we first see his obsession with Hitchcock take shape. Much of the camera work and editing is reminiscent of "Psycho". Even the music score, though credited to a composer as original, is easily recognizable as a cobbling-together of Bernard Herman's "Psycho" score, particularly the music from the shower scene, which is used whenever Carrie's power manifests itself.

The ending is legendary by now, and makes "Carrie" one of the

most imitated films ever made, though few imitators have done their version with so much style and intelligence.

A terrifying tale of revenge that holds attention all the way...

Author: Donald J. Lamb from Philadelphia, PA
10 March 1999

Stephen King's short novel CARRIE, was a decent book, not exactly scary, not really well-written. Brian De Palma's CARRIE is an exercise in terror. You can look past the religious symbolism thrown at you whenever Piper Laurie is on-sceen (she was up for a best supporting Oscar) Just when you think you have it bad, you see a brutally mis-treated Carrie White. Her mother is a religious zealot, tossing her in a closet to pray. She is mauled at school by the immature (and grossly out-dated) teens in the picture. Ah, but she has a gift: telekinesis! Perfect for an ordinary plain Jane tortured by all and everyone around her. Horror is not a word I think of when describing the film. How about fiery intensity and terror. This girl lives in a private hell.

Which provides this De Palma classic with a clear and concise context. Carrie can explode at will and knowing this, we are held in a captive state. Also, her mother is probably the most terrifying figure we see. She is a sick, depraved woman who treats Carrie like a miscarriage. The mother knows, however, that her daughter has this gift, so she can be somewhat controlled.

The acting is a bit dated, true, with the exception of the scenes between Spacek and Laurie. (Spacek was also nominated for an Oscar as Carrie) You almost feel like you have stumbled upon a lifestyle you should not be seeing. Piper Laurie is nasty and demented as Mrs. White. This film also has the distinction of being John Travolta's first feature. Vinnie Barbarino goes to the evil heartland. Amy Irving is forgettable and just so happens to be the only star from the original appearing in the upcoming 'sequel'. Watch Spacek and Laurie at work. The prom scene needs no explanation by now. I was reminded of Hitchcock's REBECCA, when Judith Anderson sets Olivier's estate on fire. This, like most of De Palma's work, stands on its own, with a little help from the master.

A truly, deeply, cynical film. A classic for millenia.

Author: kennethcarino from Ireland
7 July 2015

Carrie is a classic horror film that will be remembered for millenia. It is a moving coming-of-age drama-or thriller-or horror. In any case it is about a shy, sweet girl played by Sissy Spacek who inhabits in a cruel world. Her mother is a religious zealot who abuses her whenever she thinks Carrie committed a sin and her high school peers shun her. Many viewers will find the film not scary at all but it is not meant to make your guts jump out. No, it's a metaphorical tale of growing up and a deeply cynical one too which you will find at the end of the film.

I will not spoil anything but I will just say how the film starts and it starts off in the girl's locker room. The camera pans along the misty room and we see the girls gossiping, chattering and dressing up. The camera finally focused on to Carrie who was showering. This scene is very sensitive, sensual, emotive only made possible by the synergy of music and cinemotgraphy establishing Carrie as a sweet and innocent girl whom we should sympathize. As she showers, blood flows down down her feet and shocked as she had never had period, or known, menstruation before. It is a premonition of things to come. It is the cinematography (the lighting and lenses) and the music which are the key elements that made Carrie such an effective film that it is thanks to Brian De Palma's direction. In particular, the music is used to build up and accumulate the tension especially before and during the infamous prom scene. I, being a film buff, I could see Brian De Palma took pages from film making textbooks by emulating German Expressionist movies for lighting to create horror and Citizen Kane and 2001: A Sace Oddysey for using music as an alternative to tell the story.

The cast in the movie is excellent and they all have great played their roles really well. Of course the star of the show is Sissy Spacek and she balanced her role well by not being a typical vulnerable, damsel-in- distress and yet you will feel truly sympathetic towards her. As one reviewer said, she did not need to cry for you to feel sorry for her. The mother, played by Piper Laurie is a class A religious lunatic whom you would feel absolute contempt for abusing her own daughter. Similarly, Carrie's peers abuses her and you would feel so angry that you would want to take a dig at their faces with your fist. Now, if the above emotions are what most people felt, it means the cast have been really good with their role. As a matter of fact Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were nominated for their roles.

Before concluding the review, I would like to offer some analysis of the movie to tie the review with my summary. The film Carrie is indeed a coming-of-age story but not your standard one. It is not even a standard horror film which may put off some people expecting jump scares and monsters. No it is far more mature and smart. It is a deeply, deeply, deeply metaphorical tale of cynicism and the world. Carrie is growing up and she is not prepared for the real world. She is your typical teenager (not considering the telekinesis) torn apart by pressure from the twisted idealism of her mother who do not teach her properly about the world and from the cruelty of her school colleagues. Only her gym teacher Miss Collins and Sue Snell showed genuine care.

Overall, the I love Carrie and it has universal themes and message very relatable to all of us who went through the troubling teenage years and to those still in their teens. I don't see any bad points other than it is not a conventional horror which some people complained. Nevertheless, Carrie is a memorable and a classic horror film.

Great 70s horror film, even better than Exorcist!!!

Author: Anthony Garcia from Houston, TX, USA
20 May 2008

Oh I totally love this film!! I even drove 20 miles to buy it on DVD. I haven't watch the DVD yet, but I did saw the film on A&E Channel. De Palma, did a great job in directing this film. So totally a novel put into film. I got so fascinated with this movie that I have to keep on looking up for more references about it (even the cast) on the internet. Sissy Spacek's performance is outstanding!! I totally give her thumbs up! I like the way how Amy Irving portrays Sue Snell, oh shes so hot!! Especially in the end where she was dressed in white and visiting Carrie's burnt lot with the flowers, shes looks so pretty! Everything in this film was well-written. If I was living in the 70s and someone ask me which horror film I like, I say "Carrie"! I haven't seen The Rage: Carrie 2 yet, but I will and review it later. Anyway, good film! Highly recommended!

Tragic

Author: ajstyled (femileo@gmail.com) from United Kingdom
16 June 2007

I've heard about this film a long time but I've just seen it fully for the first time on film 4 and I must say the ending seen when the girl with flowers went to Carrie's burnt house to pay her tribute was the scariest seen. I think she was suffering from trauma of the whole incidence. The film is quite tragic cos the characters died and the only one that survived was traumatized. Overall I think there are several elements in this film that made it scary and horror but I don't think I'll ever watch the film again. The whole religious package made it more scary and the stabbing of her mom kinda looks like the crucifixion in a way.

Revenge, sweet revenge

Author: Cristian from Colombia
26 December 2006

I remember films adaptations of Stephen King stories like the crazy man in "The Shining", the famous evil clown that represents the fear of the kids in "It" and the most gorgeous "fan" that all writer wants have in "Misery" and all are good. But don't has, like that Cole Porter song "thing" that "Carrie" have.

The plot is about a girl who have a bad mother, who don't have friends, who have bad classmates, who have a power. That power is the telekinesis ... and she is a good girl, but... "Carrie" is not a regular movie, there is blood but not like a regular movie. The film, based in the first novel by Stephen King, was directed by Brian De Palma. I have not seen more movies of this director, i want get "The Phantom of the Paradise", but "Carrie" make me know that Brian De Palma is a good director. With the touching music of Pino Donaggio, "Carrie" makes me scream ... but, like the film, is not that regular scream. Is a scream that becomes from my body. The movie makes you chills a lot ... besides has an impressive cast like Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, Nancy Allen and Beety Buckley.

Please, if you have not see yet, don't let anyone tell you about anything more of the plot ...when you see it, you know why.

"Carrie"... you've got that thing...

*Sorry for the mistakes ... well, if there any

Excellent horrorfest which raises above every attempt to imitate...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
10 December 2006

1st watched 12/10/2006 - 9 out of 10(Dir- Brian DePalma): Excellent horrorfest which raises above every attempt to imitate that followed. Brian DePalma does an excellent job of building up the suspense leading up to the prom thru slow motion, split camera effects, music, brilliant close-up shots and excellent direction even when you know what the final outcome is going to be. This movie started a series of Stephen King efforts brought to the big screen but for me the real star was the director. No other modern director could have done what DePalma did with this material, in my opinion. The movie is about an oppressed young girl, played by Sissy Spacek, who is made fun of because of her inability to fit in with those around her. Most of the problem is because of her bible-toting overbearing mother who chooses to close her eyes to the real world and blame everything on sin and the devil. Carrie, as she is known in the movie, in the meantime is starting to discover her telekinetic powers and is physically becoming a woman as well(which is seen by all in the famous shower scene that opens the movie). A few folks at her school are on her side and try to bring something positive in her life by hooking her up on a date to the prom. The problem is that others are scheming to setup a disaster but are unaware of Carrie's abilities to take revenge upon them. The rest of the movie, I'm going to leave up to you to see. Again, DePalma masterfully hooks us thru excellent characterizations, story and build-up in what I consider one of the best movies of this kind ever made.

Well-Deserved Classic

Author: tfrizz7 from Sherman Oaks, California
6 November 2004

I think that "Carrie" is deservedly a classic not only in the horror genre, but also in cinema. Before, you jump on me, let me say that I do not feel it is one of the best films of all time- I just think that the elements all came together very well.

The heartbreaking opening scene, with the haunting score that appears throughout, immediately show us that Carrie is one of those that is doomed to be an outsider for life. This theme is consistent as Carrie encounters every character from the sympathetic and caring Miss Collins to the downright wicked Chris Hargensen. This film is driven by characters who we either love, hate and feel so-so for ( Tommy Ross )- which makes us invest our emotions into it. We see that Carrie is tragic and we feel for her because she goes through so much, both at home with mother and at school with her tomentors. We're happy for her when things seem to go right for the first time. The slow-motion sequence after she is named Prom Queen is just as delightful for us because she finally has gotten a taste of what it means to be noticed and cared for. Again, we become invested emotionally in this story.

Then, the world collapses. Carrie realizes that all of this has been yet another joke- of the cruelest kind. And she's had enough. Suddenly, the anger builds and reminds us of her gift- which because of the way the story has been written, we forgot about for a while. But now, we are terrified. Because we've all wanted to lash out and hurt those who have hurt us. And now she has the chance to totally destroy everyone that has hurt her for so long. We don't necessarily approve of her actions- we just watch in horror.

And finally, as she returns home, seeking nothing more than some love and care and warmth, she is met with hatred and anger- making her the tragic figure again.

As kids, we all have moments where others are cruel. And for us, "Carrie" is a reminder of that pain and the terrible thoughts we have had. That's why it is a horror story to us. That... and Brian DePalma is a genius.

YUM!

Author: Nightwane from Bucharest, Romania
7 January 2003

this film is one of those films that kinda gives you shivers...Sissy Spacek was great in this movie. She portrayed Carrie very-very-very well. Although not a 100% horror movie, "Carrie" has a lot of MOM-TERROR in it. i'd kill myself instantly if i had Margaret White as my mom! All-in-all, "Carrie" is one of the most disturbing films ever made.