IMDb > Bound for Glory (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bound for Glory

Bound for Glory More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

This film was made for you and me

Author: raydavies
30 October 2001

One can go into this film from several different angles, and be rewarded at every turn. You like history? Bound For Glory's depiction of Depression Era life is both accurate and eye-opening. You like music? The perspective gained on one of our nation's greatest songwriters is delightful in a way every man can appreciate. You like against-the-odds stories of rugged individualism? Hope you're hungry. The pace may be criticized as slow, but works in emphasizing the dreariness and despair needed to understand the motivations and emotions that lead to Woody Guthrie's greatness. The deliberate storytelling also reminds one of the manner in which Kurosawa might weave a fable. Which reminds me, David Carradine's performance is inspired. Great film any way you look at it.

Excellent. Carradine does a GREAT job. Music outstanding.

Author: dennis.coury from san antonio, texas
4 August 2000

Found the movie to be "real". Did a great job of showing how things were at the time. Carradine & Cox did an outstanding job. Really enjoyed the music. Feel that this movie has certainly been overlooked during the years. A real QUALITY film.

My brief review of the film

Author: sol- from Perth, Australia
11 November 2005

An unusual film, it starts by depicting the harsh life that many had to live during the Depression era, but then about halfway through it takes a sharp turn to become a biography of a musician. This change is rather jarring, as it comes unexpected. It manages to paint the glumness and the poverty of the Depression era so well that the sudden change in story direction just about violates what has gone before. In fairness, it does give us an idea of what the protagonist went through and what motivated his career, but is there not too much time spent on it? There is relatively little in the way of story until the music side enters in. It is quite meandering, and full of characters that have no importance later on, there is cause to wonder whether it could have been compressed down. For the adventure genre that the film best fits into, it is also relatively unexciting. The film is rather awkwardly put together, and it could do with a few events removed, but there are still a lot of good points to it. The cinematography won the film an Academy Award, as did the adapted music soundtrack, and both these elements are good. Haskell Wexler has chosen some interesting angles to shoot the film from, and the songs are fitted into the material quite well. Overall it is a good film, but a difficult one too. It takes patience to get through, but there are some good things in the end.

Outstanding! An accurate glimpse at life in tougher times.

Author: headhunter46 from Madison, Wisconsin, USA
28 October 2004

This movie will give the open-minded viewer a look at what life in America was like in the 1930's. I fear younger viewers who expect to have cars blowing up and a hero who can defeat a half dozen opponents at once will be disappointed. David Carradine turns in his best performance of all that I have seen. As others have mentioned the cinematography is fantastic. This movie is for those viewers who can appreciate that many have struggled and suffered to bring this country to the point where some can be bored by a movie of this caliber. To appreciate what we now have one must sit through the "boring" parts to see how badly people lived during this time in the USA. The movie does move slowly at times but that is how slowly the lives of people moved in that time period. They had little or no work, didn't always know where their next meal would come from.

VERY MINOR SPOILER The movie portrays Woody in his struggle to bring respect and equity to those who toiled and were abused. There are still those who do not believe that conditions like this once existed in this country. I doubt they would believe it if they watched the movie. I rate this movie 8 of 10 for the harsh portrayal of a time many are not aware of, the convincing acting of Carradine, and the cinematography.

High apple pie in the sky: this film isn't a lie!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 May 2006

In one of his many masterpieces throughout the '70s, Hal Ashby tells the story of Woody Guthrie (David Carradine) during the folk singer's Depression-era travels, and how he got politicized. We see the plight of working families moving to California, and everything such. One of the best scenes is when a rich family picks up Woody. While they talk about their wealth and stuff, Woody says something that I'm probably not allowed to write here.

All in all, this is a magnificent look into one man's life, and into history in general. If only one thing's for certain, it's that Woody Guthrie will remain an important part of Americana. A great movie. Also starring Ronny Cox and Melinda Dillon.

Like a rolling stone

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
3 August 2008

"I've seen lots of funny men in this world. Some will rob you with a six-gun and some will rob you with a fountain pen" – Woody Guthrie

Set during the Great Depression, Hal Ashby's "Bound for Glory" follows folk singer Woody Guthrie as he evolves from a lowly sign painter in Texas to a popular radio singer in California. Guthrie's cross-country journey was itself commonplace during the Dust Bowl years. This decades long period saw dust storms and droughts ravaging the American panhandle, conditions which led to an exodus of farmers, most of whom lost their land and travelled West, eventually settling in California, where they were ruthlessly exploited by land barons who pitted worker against worker.

Like most of Ashby's lead characters, Woody's thus a non-conformist with a strong sense of moral outrage. Ashby paints him as a wandering artist, hopping from town to town, riding trains, hitching rides, meeting folk and developing his conscience. It's not long before his songs become weapons; a means to rally men against social injustice.

And so as the film progresses, Woody begins to inspire people to unionise and organise (against farm barons and landlords) and morphs into a kind of romantic anarchist-socialist figure who lives to fight and loves to sing.

Like John Ford's "Grapes of Wrath", "Bound for Glory's" view of the Great Depression mixes inappropriately cosy postcard images with gut wrenching hardship. Families struggle to make ends meet, food is scarce and jobs are few. But where Ashby and Ford differ most is in the latter's sense of optimism; things will be better, if only we keep singing. If only we keep chanting, our guitars in hand. Ashy, you sense, is a bit more pessimistic. Understandable, considering the era in which he was active.

The title of Ashby's 1979 film, "Being There", was perhaps inspired by German philosopher Martin Heidegger's magnum opus "Being and Time". In his book, Heidegger coined the term "Dasein" or "Being there", which referred to existence in the most minimal sense. By using the expression "Being There", Heidegger called attention to the fact that a human being cannot be taken into account except as a being existing in the middle of a larger "fabric". To be human is to be fixed, embedded and immersed in the physical, literal, tangible day to day. But Heidegger believed that certain people could escape this fabric, or perhaps be more attuned to it via a heightened self reflexivity, thought most were too preoccupied to do so.

In "Being There", Ashby had actor Peter Sellers essentially play a brain damaged child called Chance. Depending upon one's reading of the film, Chance's innocence either represented a kind of perceptual freedom which allowed him to unknowingly see beyond the delusive forms that mask everyday reality, or the exact opposite, Chance a figure of "chance", of lawless, nonsensical irrationality. Regardless, "Bound for Glory's" Guthrie is obviously intended to be juxtaposed with Chance. Gutherie's a simple man with few possessions and few ties. But while others are on their hands and knees, working and toiling in the dirt, Woody stands upright and sees the world both as it is, and in terms of possibilities instead of limitations. Whever someone tries to force their frameworks upon him, Woody rejects them (marriage, family, job, class, money etc) and goes in search of better paths. These path may not be visible, or indeed even exist, but what matters most is that Woody inspires others to join him on his search.

8.5/10 - Though Ashby fails to delve deeply into Guthrie's life, preferring to reduce him to an archetypal "wandering artist" character, this is nevertheless a fine, era defining film, and features some stunning cinematography by the legendary Haskell Wexler. Worth two viewings.

Carradine was Outstanding

Author: whpratt1 from United States
26 April 2007

Enjoyed this film from beginning to the very end because it was so down to earth and told a great story about Woody Guthrie played by David Carradine. Woody Guthrie left his Texas home and headed for California and along the way he experienced riding the railroad in a box car and even on top of them from town to town and was beaten up by the railroad workers. Woody meets up with some very poor people who were trying to make a living by picking crops in the fields for penny's a day and children deprived of food and shelter. Ronny Cox,(Ozark Bule) meets up the Woody and they play music for a radio station and at the same time try to get a union established for the working people on the farms. David Carradine did a great job of acting and this is a very outstanding picture to view more than once. Enjoy

Well done but not for everyone.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
9 July 2013

"Bound for Glory" is a dramatization of the early career of Woody Guthrie--particularly his wanderings around the country and the establishment of his career as a folk singer. However, the film does NOT cover his later years and his affliction with Huntington's.

Have you ever seen a movie that is well made and you are supposed to enjoy it but you didn't? That's my experience with "Bound for Glory". While I could see it was a fine film and David Carradine did a fine job, I found my attention wandering throughout. Part of it is because the film is VERY deliberately paced (i.e., slow). Part of it is because I just don't happen to care much about the subject matter. This is sad, I know, as I am a retired history teacher and I should love seeing the dust bowl and the history of Woody Guthrie but I still didn't. Part of it is because Guthrie was a pretty selfish guy (leaving his family and just going on the road for months or years at a time with little regard for them). Regardless, I just didn't enjoy the experience. Well done but I had a devil of a time with "Bound for Glory"... But, I am NOT saying it's a bad film or that you shouldn't see it--it's just that I was not bowled over by it like nearly all the other reviewers.

This Is the Story Of The Great Depression

Author: eliotstein (eliotstein@yahoo.com) from Burbank, CA
9 June 2010

"Bound For Glory" is a great deal more than the story of Woody Guthrie. It is a virtual experience of living through the Great Depression.

This is the ultimate historical-based re-creation of life in America in the 1930s. From the unemployment to the box car hopping, dust storms, soup kitchens, migrant workers and their union organizing, the film takes you into the eye of the Great Depression hurricane that devastated life in America.

It provides a first-person perspective as the story builds upon the life of folk music legend Woody Guthrie.

Teachers from 5th grade through college can use this as a valuable instructional tool, and not even have to worry about any bad language or erotic scenes.

Where "Grapes of Wrath" was once used as Hollywood's contribution to showing the Great Depression, "Bound For Glory" surpasses it with a compelling storyline that keeps you riveted, production design and sets that are as stimulating as they are accurate, and superb acting and cinematography.

If you somehow missed this film because most of the attention that year was going to "Rocky," "Network," "All the President's Men" and "Taxi Driver," find out for yourself why this was the "other" film nominated for Best Picture.

You Can't Scare Me, I'm Sticking to the Union

Author: Jay Raskin from Orlando, United States
5 July 2008

This was one of the first biographies of a music star. Woody Guthrie was also the most famous communist in American history. This made just doing the movie an act of extreme courage on the part of everybody involved.

The movie is as much about the depression in the 1930's as it is about Guthrie. Evoking the atmosphere of the 1930's Midwestern United States is what the movie does best. "Bonnie and Clyde" is really the only other movie that succeeds as well as this one.

When I saw it thirty-two years ago, I thought it was beautiful, but politically tepid, downplaying much of the politics of Guthrie and the period. It seemed to also show Guthrie as inarticulate, rash, self-destructive, egocentric and foolish.

Looking at it now, the cinematography is not great, some of it is quite grainy. It is fine, but not brilliant.

More importantly, I appreciate now that it does not romanticize Guthrie. No doubt in the coming century, he will become an icon like Che Guevara. One gets a vision of a real flawed and down-to-earth person and not a white-washed myth in Carradine's brooding portrayal. It hurts the drama, but that is something I think Guthrie would have appreciated.

Some have noted that David Carradine never did anything better. This is true. Still, he has worked steadily as an actor, now with over 200 movie and television roles. He is in no less than ten movies this year. If you include over 120 episodes of his two Kung Fu television series, he has been in as many productions as his legendary father, John Carradine (339). It is ironic that his father was best known for his role in "Grapes of Wrath" and he will be best known for his role in "Bound for Glory,"

Altogether this is a beautiful, laid-back, easy-going version of the Woody Guthrie story. One expects that soon, in the future, a much more passionate version will appear.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]