IMDb > Baby Blue Marine (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Baby Blue Marine More at IMDbPro »

Underrated Movie

Author: Ken Hower from Granite Bay, CA
7 July 2006

I was actually around 13 years old camping near the McCloud River, near Shasta when this movie was being filmed. My family was paid to leave our campsite for the afternoon, when they filmed Vincent floating down the river. A little trivia...the scene where they pulled him out, was actually where he started his float down the river. And if the stunt man missed the netting, there was 20 foot waterfall about 1/4 mile down farther.

Anyway...I watched it at the time, and didn't get it. It wasn't until years later when I saw the movie and actually understood the meaning of it. It's pretty powerful movie and certainly a fine job by Jan at such a young age. His movie career never really took off as expected, but of course he later found success on TV. I wish this movie was available, cause I would love to see it again.

A Time Lost Forever

Author: BachlorinParadise from United States
18 August 2006

Just saw Baby Blue Marine again after 30 years. I still find it a pleasant and romantic film which catches a time which has been lost forever. The innocence and purity of a time now long gone, is truthfully captured in this small film. The acting is above average and Richard Gere's brief appearance as a shell-shocked Raider Marine war hero, holds a keen interest for any film buff or Gere fan. Jan-Micheal Vincent is in his prime and looks and acts like the "All-American" boy. The late Bruno Kirby (who was billed as B.Kirby, Jr.) has a meaty role as "Pop", a peace-loving, Marine Corp reject, dreaming of getting back home to his wife. If you're looking for sex, drugs, or rock and roll, this movie is not for you. If you're looking for action and adventure, the same applies. However, if you want to recapture a time in America of innocence, honor, romance, and love, then Baby Blue Marine is a movie for you.

Gere gets the goods though.

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
5 August 2004

Made in the mid 70s when it looked like Jan Michael Vincent might translate into a romantic male lead, this thoughtful and sensitive film just slipped into nowhere instead, along with his prospects. Richard Gere seen in a minor role as a marine in a lounge somewhere, seemed to overtake JMV from this film and go into Mr Goodbar, Gigolo and Sexy leading man stardom. Like BUSTER AND BILLIE also marred by the VIGILANTE FORCE and WHITE LINE FEVER type violence, BABY BLUE MARINE is actually a charming romantic drama and quite an acting suprise for any viewer who believes JMV is an action star of the time.

The theme of "Innocents" touched me then and still does!

Author: greyfalk from North Carolina
24 July 2002

I first saw this film in 1980 and it touched a cord which reminded me of a more innocent time. The opening narrative, music and paintings by Norman Rockwell set the tone for me. You either love the movie or hate it. Jan Michael Vincent was at his all time best and portrayed Cpl Marion Hedgepeth in a most innocent and touching way. This movie is at the top of my all time favorites, a shame it isn't available on DVD or VHS anymore. The ending was also wonderful. John Hancock did a marvelous job of capturing the essence of the time.

A delightful film

Author: (buono@snowhill.com) from Daleville, Alabama
12 October 2000

I first saw this film while stationed in Germany, and I especially enjoyed the scenery, music, and the plot. The timeless standard, "I'll be seeing you", added greatly to the mood. A very imaginative, and sensitive kind of movie for all to enjoy.

You look like a Marine to me

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
2 August 2006

**SPOILERS** Beautifully photographed slice of life home-front WWII love story with Norman Rockwell paintings in the beginning and end of the movie about how a "war hero" is not just someone who kills for his country but is also someone who thinks for himself and isn't corrupted by the war propaganda that's constantly drummed into his head. Washing out of the Marine Corps Marion "Hedg" Hedgepeth, Jan Michael-Vincent,is kicked out of boot-camp, after five weeks, and forced to put on a Baby Blue Marine uniform that shows that he just didn't have it to make the Corps. Humilitated and scorned wherever he went as he's going home to St. Louis and terrified what his family, whom his dad was in the Marine Corps in WWI, would think of him in that he couldn't "Cut the Mustard" as a US Marine.

Hedg stopping in a bar and finds sitting next to him is a Marine member of the fearless and deadly Marine Raiders Richard Gere whom a admiring Hedge buys a beer. Making conversation with Richard Hedge is shocked to find out that not only is he being sent back to the Pacific Theater after all the battles he fought in, and combat medals he got, but the totally gray hair and mid-thirty looking Richard is going to be 21 next month! That's what being in the Marine Corps and WWII did to him! Buying Hedge a number of drinks Richard takes the drunk Baby Blue outside and knocks him out taking his Baby Blues and leaves his impressive US Marine uniform with some money in it for Hedge to ware.

As soon as Hedge puts on Richard's uniform, that fits him perfectly, he's confronted by this big drunken US paratrooper who calls himself Cement-Head wanting to have a fist fight with the Marine Raider. Hedge doing everything he can to avoid trouble is forced by Cement-Head to belt him, after he himself cracked two beer bottle over his cement-head, to get himself warmed up for the big bout between Marine,Hedge, and Paratrooper, Cement-Head. Hedge incredibly floors the big cement headed buffoon knocking him out cold with one punch! "I guess the trick is not hitting him in on top of his head" a stunned Hedge tell his, Cement-Heads, fellow G.I's.

Hitch-hiking to this small town of Bidwell Hedge notices this US Military internment camp for Japanese-Americans who are there because their considered a threat to US security. It's later in the movie that Hedge shows everyone what a real hero he is, not who the people in the town think he is, by risking his life to save one of the hated "Japs" who mindlessly together with two of his friends escaped from the interment camp, where the hell did they think they were going anyway? Hedge risked his life by saving the scared to death Japanese-American from drowning in the dangerous rapids outside the town. Hedge in his actions taught the people of Bidwell that not all "Japs", even those who are American citizens, are bad and treacherous banzai screaming suicidal kamikazes like they were thought by the newspapers magazines and movies at the time to think that they were.

Hedge strikes up a conversation with the very cute and pretty waitress at the local diner Rose Hudkins, Glynnis O'Connor,who's just crazy about him that even Hedge at first thinks that it's his uniform not him that impressed her. Later when Hedge admits to Rose that he's not what she and her parents think,A US Marine Raider,that he is Rose had by then gotten to know the sweet and caring washed-out marine so well that it didn't matter to her at all what he was supposed to be, a Marine a Paratrooper or a Post Office worker, it was what was inside his heart that really counted.

The film has a number of touching and beautiful scenes in it between Hedge and Rose that shows how movies used to be made years ago without all the sex and profanity that we see and hear in movies today that involved two people in love with each other.

The way the film accurately, not phony baloney, shows the true feelings of average Americans, back then in 1943, about the war in general and Japanese in particular couldn't have been done in more authentic and accurate as well as good taste. "Baby Blur Marine" does it's best not to be too politically correct in not showing the hero's or leading actors and actresses in the film having the same feelings and ideas back then during WWII as most people have now, which would have come across as phony as a three dollar bill, to those people watching the film who lived during those historic and momentous times when the film was to take place.

My review does contain a Spoiler. It may also have a resolution for the final scene - you decide

Author: mark ortega from USA
18 August 2015

While attempting to post this review my computer bumped me out so I'm not sure if it got posted. Here's my second attempt - I apologize if it get's posted twice. My review:

I had seen parts of this movie previously on the GET TV Network. Fortunately, I caught the last half of it today. The ending was really confusing and I couldn't take my mind off of it. It was like something was missing just before the final scene.

I went to YouTube and viewed some scenes to fill in the first part of the movie. I also read several reviews online. I think I get the overall plot. After a lot of thought, I came up with a resolution for the final scene that at least works for me.

I believe Marion dies as a result of his being accidentally shot in an earlier scene. If correct, the last scene of the movie is a dream scene showing what could have been. It was a scene that was repeated thousands of times at the war's end in towns all across the country.

I think there are several tips pointing to such a scenario: First, the final scene changes into a portrait (frozen in time), with hopeful thoughts left up to each individual viewer. Second, the song, "I'll be seeing you" begins to play in the background. This song, though written pre-WII, became an anthem for those serving - see reference below. Personally, this song has always had a melancholy mood to it in my mind. Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of all the men who didn't return from WWII. The song's lyrics do seem to indicate this (or to at least to a lost love). Finally, recall that Marion urgently twice asks Rose to, "Tell them about me", as if he knows he wouldn't be able to do it himself.

I hope I have the opportunity to watch the whole movie some time. I enjoyed going back in time to see how things used to be, and to see how people of the day thought about things. If there ever was a time of innocence in America, this movie caught a piece of it. I really enjoyed it.

RE: Wikipedia.org: I'll Be Seeing You: The musical theme has emotional power, and was much loved during World War II, when it became an anthem for those serving overseas (both British and American soldiers).

Intriguing 70's film with Jan Michael Vincent...

Author: robespierre9 from Colorado
19 July 2008

This is an interesting, hard to find movie from the early 70's starring Jan Michael Vincent as a young man who doesn't make the cut as a marine. Dressed in 'baby blue' outfits to humiliate them as they are sent home, the failed recruits are sent packing. Vincent stops at a bar and runs into a very young Richard Gere who has just returned from a tour in the Pacific as a hard-core Marine 'Raider'. Gere's character is already jaded and contemplating desertion, and he takes advantage of Vincent's innocence, stealing his 'baby blue' uniform after getting him drunk and beating him in an alleyway. Vincent's character, whose name is Marion, takes Gere's outfit and is suddenly transformed into a Marine 'Raider'. Marion hitch-hikes his way into Wyoming and stops at a little Norman Rockwell-like little town. In the local café he meets Rose Hudkins, who immediately catches his eye. Staying with Hudkins parents, Marion attracts all sorts of attention from the towns folks. Mr Hudkins suspects Marion and wonders how a Marine 'Raider' could still be so innocent. The story also brings up the Japanese Internment Camps, as the towns folks go 'hunting' 3 escapees. Marion is shot accidentally during this hunt. But there's still a happy ending, which befuddled me a bit. I would have preferred a little more drama! Anyway, this captures JMV at the peak of his 70's performances. BUSTER AND BILLIE, BABY BLUE MARINE and WHITE LINE FEVER in the mid-70's were amazingly good JMV performances. He was both an action star and a heart-throb all at the same time!!! He made a lot of quality movies during his career, and continued to do so up into the mid 80's with the great TV show Airwolf. He does a very good job in this as 'Hedge', quietly observing the way people treat him (in his uniform) as he travels across the country. He must have performed some of the stunt work as well- there is a harrowing river scene at the end of the movie-and it looks like he's the guy getting tossed down the river to me! But really, at the height of his popularity, this movie could have done so much more with JMV's talent and his looks. Innocence can only be so interesting. Evil, as explored in "Buster and Billie", is much more dramatic! Anyway, Glynnis O'Connor is delightful as Rose. The whole look of the movie is like a Norman Rockwell painting. The outdoor scenes are gorgeous - must have been filmed in Canada.

This movie was a wonderful but underrated love story

Author: daydriver2010 from Las Vegas Nevada USA
11 December 2012

The first time I saw this film I was working as the projectionist of the multi-plex theater where it first opened in 1976. It played for two or more weeks and did good business. I must have checked my watch and looked out at the same few scenes a hundred times. The actors were so talented and the scenery so real as if it was a real 1944 town. I am 60 now and just saw it again on cable. I was about 23 or 4 when it was released. It has been hard for me to understand why Jan Michael Vincent never became a huge box office star like DeNiro or Warren Beaty. I didn't like his TV series "Airwolf" He was so talented but his feature-length movies just were swept under the rug so to speak. I guess some make it while some don't. If you see this playing on cable or in a DVD discount bin watch it un-cut by commercials. Have some tissues nearby.

Too Many Threads, Great Acting In the Minor Roles (Spoliers)

Author: ewleeds (ewleeds@gmail.com) from LEEDS
22 January 2016

The opening was okay, the Marine Sergeant Michael Conrad, was convincing, the squad of rookie Marines were not, a wasted 20 opening minutes, I must have blinked because I never saw the star booted out of the Marines and what for was never mentioned. The next major scene was strange beyond belief, this is the bar scene with the guy wearing a full Marines outfit (Richard Gere) and our hero Jan Michael Vincent, wearing an odd looking blue suit carrying no hand luggage but intending to cross the US to 'see the country'. Then outside the same bar Gere the Marine steals Vincent crazy Joe blue suit, with Gere exchanging it for a full Marine Uniform, all crisp and new with hero's medals and combat badges. Explain that to your mother age 68. In this small role Richard Gere looked creepy, I thought he was a male prostitute but have read "he was deserting the Marines". Vincent puts the Marines suit on and looks a million dollars in it, walking away from the bar he passes the alleged hard man in the street who wanted to fight a Marine. Him. And off course Vincent knocks this guy out with a punch only Rocky Marciano could throw. That was one scene that should have been cut. We then have the hitchhiking scenes, the Sheriff Dana Elcar who gave our hero a lift came across as a professional star actor, he was (he should have had an Oscar tattooed on his forehead after this film) so should the 5 leading villagers in this alleged Bidwell Township, including and especially the Norwegian looking guy who had lost his son in WW2, and the bereaved mother at the fairground. In the Bidwell café the film at last then took off with the arrival of Rosie the waitress, Glynnis O'Conner. We then watched the pretend Rosie the waitress family saving this load of %^%$£$ film, apart from her role nothing gelled and nothing was convincing. The star of this film was Glynne O'Conner, and the townsfolk who all went on to having great careers. There wasa guy sneaking about Bruno Kirby, whose role should have been cut. I loved viewing the 3 huge snow capped mountains in the outdoors backdrop (a great set for a Climb every mountain scene with Rosie playing a young Von Trapp singer heading for Nashville, this scenery had shades of Alan Ladds film, Shane here. This film would have worked better with the straight forward simple story of a failed Marine, an honest to God guy who tried hard to join the Marines and failed, a man who was now down on his luck, drifting across America seeking work (Grapes of Wrath echos wantedhere) and a man adopted by the townsfolk. Even the film title was crazy, it should have been "The Cowardly Hero". Barely watchable on a cold wet day in Downtown England.