IMDb > Ape (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

BullDada Galore

Author: jocephicus from United States
15 December 2005

Well, I just had the good fortune to see this movie on the big screen in glorious 3D(although my 3d glasses kept falling off of my regular glasses) and must say that all of the previous posts(with exception of the person who gave it like 9 stars) just did not get this movie and never will. Yes it is bad, terribly bad. Yes the acting sucks etc. Did this detract from my enjoyment of the film? Not a whit. I can imagine that in 2d on a TV the charm could be significantly diminished but in its original 3d glory this is not to "B" missed . I cant fathom all of the bad posts from folks who claim to like this genre of movies. I mean look at the godzilla movies that were coming out at this time frame, pure cheese! Yet I love them just the same! If your idea of a giant monster movie is the Hollywood godzilla or the peter jackson king kong then by all means please skip this. If on the other hand you wish peter jackson would take his next million dollars and sink it into a remake of meet the feebles then you might get a few chuckles out of this movie.

Excellent if made for comedy, Pathetic if anything else.

Author: Nick Zbu from Michigan
13 July 2000

APE is a truly strange hybrid: my best guess is that it was an Korean Monster Film that got bought by an American Filming Crew who spent a weekend getting background shots and shot all the giant ape footage in their backyard.

From the first great line in the film in which a mildly depressed actor utters the most deadpan expression of shock to stock footage of a cow that becomes an obviously fake battery-operated toy in faraway shots this film is a laugh riot. The cherry on top of this cake is that 'Joanna Von Savant' of the title is really Joanna Kerns from TV's Growing Pains. Apparently the 1980s weren't a good time for her, between being fondled by a fake ape in a ripoff of a Dino Laurentis film or a TV mom to a bunch of stupid kids that go to a school that calls their sports team "Hooters."

In short, don't watch APE. Experience it and hope to God someone's future film career depended on this.

Yeah a Giant ape

Author: KevinTurner from Maine
7 April 2005

If I could put a zero down for a number I would for this film. I am a King Kong fan and I have seen every King Kong even Kong vs Godzilla so naturally I was attracted to the movie cover of APE. So like an idiot I read the back of the box and say to myself "It sounds good" drop ten bucks for it and take it home. I slide it in the VCR and about 5 minutes into the film I turn it off. I couldn't watch the rest of until I had seen a brain doctor to tell me everything was OK. Well about three months later I decided to try and watch it. Its probably one of the worst films ever made. I believe its in the book of worst films ever made actually. Some reasons why the movie is horrible, the ape doesn't make any noises what so ever, he disco dancers why being shot with burning arrow's, flips off the camera, wears sneakers, and throws some nice sliders with rocks. I cant even think about this move any more its depressing. O out of 10.

King Kong's Korean kousin flips off Army

Author: huemannus from United States
8 July 2007

It's the same old story. King Kong's Korean kousin takes time off from stomping toy houses and wrestling rubber sharks and snakes to abduct a scantily clad starlet on a movie set. His intentions are totally misunderstood when he carts her away to his mountain hideaway. However, her screams soon turn to, "be gentle with me, big guy", and another giant ape and hot babe romance is born.

Her honeymoon with the big guy is soon broken up by jealous boyfriend, who steals her back, only to hear, "there was something oddly appealing about the way he held me". Can puny human boyfriend ever compete with a 36 foot ape's appealing grip?

Saddened by the loss of his girl, KKKk takes a hike to Seoul, Korea to see if he can get her back. Not one for polite inquiry, his peeping tom act and rude rooftop razing finally yields his prize blond babe and once again she gets to enjoy an appealing hairy paw ride. The local army brass takes issue with his ill manners, unleashing its most potent weapon, interminable phone conversations designed to bore everyone to death.

In the final battle royale, toy tanks fire their bottle rockets and a squad of infantry bravely charges forward, brandishing their rifle muzzles at the sensitive big guy, who responds with volleys of Styrofoam boulders hurled down sagging wires to smash and somehow blow up toy tanks with lethal 3-D efficiency.

Wrapping it up, the misunderstood big guy succumbs to a hail of fireworks and his babe goes on to make a movie in which she uses him for a rug.

Movie highlights: In the midst of fierce battle our nubby carpeted giant ape takes the time to smugly flip off a tormenting helicopter that crashes into a cliff.

Hilarious Korean Monster Film

Author: Flak_Magnet from United States
10 September 2009

This is a great bad movie and many of the scenes are hilarious. If you'd enjoy watching a 60-sec slow-motion scene where a guy in a gorilla costume wrestles an obviously dead shark, thrashing it around and pretending to be in the throes of death, look no further. This whole movie is full of great scenes like that, and if it weren't for an overly drawn out love story subplot, "A.P.E." would be a 5-star unintentional comedy. You get a little bit of everything in this South Korean flick: "Godzilla"-style miniature sets, toy model animals and people, remote control helicopters, firework explosions, and of course, a guy in a gorilla suit. The plot is not important, really, and the film gets right down to brass tacks after about 2-min of backstory. Just know that there is a 35-ft tall ape, and he is going to rampage Korea. Throw in an American actress (Joanna Kerns, of "Growing Pains" fame), her reporter boyfriend, and a pair of Army officers bent on killing the beast, and you have "A.P.E." The direction and editing are sometimes stunningly inept, resulting in several great "WTF moments," including my favorite when a character is hanging off the outside door of a moving jeep, for seemingly no reason. Anyhow, I could go on forever with this one. As far as bad movies go, "A.P.E." is a definite keeper. You are going to get laughs out of this one.

Oh, it just gets worse and worse!

Author: annamaurya_80 from Bowling Green, Ohio
31 March 2002

You know, you just can't beat a movie like "A*P*E" for a good time. And By good time, I mean this movie "s*u*c*k*s." Well, no. It isn't bad as in "never see this movie" bad, it's bad as in "good for a laugh and nothing more" bad. The best part has to be when A*P*E flips off the camera. Wow! I never knew apes really did that! I'm sorry if this doesn't help you as a reader and potential viewer, but I just had to vent a little. Have a nice day, otherwise.

Infamous battering ram scene...windup toy cow...

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
22 March 2003

....don't forget these great parts too! Wow what a BAD flick, I agree w/ about everything the rest said here. Poopoo f/x, Gorilla-gram level suit, acting of the 5th graders school play level, the infamous Balsa Battering ram scene, the breakdancing, flipping the bird APE, the Korean guy putting his gun right Past the camera lense not ONCE but TWICE (same footage), toy tanks that don't move, bad shark fight...oh it's truly THAT bad.

By all means check this out if you have a penchant for MSTK type stuff. It's as bad as they all say, if not worse.

* for the battering ram scene. What audacity.

May God destroy those whom have created this abomination

Author: KevinTurner from Maine
6 December 2002

This video is probably the worst film ever made. I have a feeling that the director and script writer wanted to make the worst film of all time.If that is the case they did it. Now a 36 foot ape that is in Korea. It kills jaws,flicks off a helichopter,does the disco,and gets killed by annoying soldiers that stick thier gun barrel right next to the lens of the camera all with out making a noise mind you. I think the ape doesn't have a voice box or tongue.It's seriously the worst film ever. I have this film at my house and i paid $10 for it about 13 years agon when i was 5 cuase i liked king kong and stuff right so i thought hey looks good. when I got home and put it in i couldn't watch more then 5 minutes of it. A 5 year old i tell you couldn't satnd it Barney is better this peice of poo.

This movie is just plain awful!

Author: warlorde from OKC, OK
14 May 2002

I must confess to liking giant monster movies, but this film is really just plain awful! Bad special effects, even worse acting, silly premise. By the way that big snake would be considered a monster! Anyway painful as it was I made it through to the end. I chuckled a few times while watching this mess, just not believing what I'm seeing or hearing.

1 out of 10, for bad movies beware 5 out of 10. Suffer with me.

"I never thought I'd be getting jealous of a 36 foot ape."

Author: utgard14 from USA
2 April 2014

Truly awful King Kong rip-off that is so bad you have to see it to believe it. The ape, said to be thirty-six feet tall, is just some guy in a cheap gorilla suit that the filmmakers got at a costume shop or a yard sale. This isn't even a full body ape suit. It's got sleeves with gloves. There are several instances where you can see the skin of the guy's wrists as he moves his arms about. That's the level of quality we're talking here. That's how few *beeps* this movie gives. He's filmed mostly from the chest up. When they do try to show you some scale for the ape's size, they do it with cheap stuff like toy boats and crummy miniature buildings. The ape also moves in slow motion throughout the movie. Let me be clear: they didn't slow down the film. The "actor" in the ape suit just moved really slowly to emulate slow motion! Like a kid playing make believe.

The cast is especially bad. This is the film debut of Joanna Kerns, the mom from "Growing Pains." Her screams will haunt me for weeks. So unbelievably shrill. Be prepared to turn your volume down. Laughably, at one point while in the palm of the ape's hand, Kerns stops screaming and says "Be gentle with me, big guy." She returns to screaming almost immediately. Bizarre! Kerns has a romantic subplot with a very '70s-looking guy named Rod Arrants. They kiss a lot. Pretty much every time they are in the same scene, Arrants is all over her. Long-time character actor Alex Nicol plays a foul-mouthed Army Colonel here. I have to believe his performance is intended to be funny. It makes no sense any other way. Bruce MacRae is listed as responsible for the music. He should have been arrested and charged with assault. The score is relentless and will make your ears bleed.

As the helicopters approach the ape, he stands there and makes these wild gestures with his arms. For the life of me, it looks a lot like he's dancing. Was the guy in the ape suit inebriated? Very likely. Further evidence of this is the scene where the ape flips off the Army. Yeah. The guy in the ape suit was loaded for sure. It's so terrible. There are lots of pointless scenes. Such as when the ape pulls a snake off of a tree and throws it -- hitting the camera! This goes nowhere. It just cuts away to another scene and when it returns to the ape he's moved on to something else. The only reason I'm giving this a 2 instead of a 1 is because of the unintended comedy. It's one of the worst movies ever made.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]