IMDb > "Family" (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Family"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Family" More at IMDbPro »

I'd like to see it again

Author: mgross-2 from Los Angeles, California
17 July 2000

Having just finished watching Homefront again on TVLand, it occurred to me that Family would be an ideal show for them to run. It has everything a successful show should have -- excellent story line, terrific cast and acting and great family appeal. There are very few shows on today that can compare to all that Family has to offer.

May I suggest that anyone interested, please contact TVLand and see if we can persuade them to run this series as they did Homefront.

An hour with the Lawrences made for TV time well spent

Author: jeffmedia from Rochester, NY
23 August 2005

I first caught this show in re-runs on Lifetime and WOR 9 from New York in the late 80's, and I taped as many episodes as I could manage. I greatly admire the production values and story lines this frequently mawkish, yet unflinchingly progressive piece of late 70's serial TV "dramedy" had to offer in virtually every episode of it's four-year run. All of the key players were exceptional actors, and made for riveting television that has been largely taken for granted. With so much bunk arriving weekly on DVD, Columbia/TrisStar should really pick up the ball on this project and start compiling a comprehensive DVD collection while Sada Thompson and the rest of the crew are still with us, and can offer insightful reminiscence on a long-overdue and much-needed addition to the growing list of good and bad television shows available on DVD.

One of the very best TV dramas of all time

Author: from Costa Rica
24 June 2006

As a young adult in the mid 1970's to early 1980's, I greatly enjoyed watching all original episodes of this TV show. This series is of the highest artistic quality and adheres to the highest standards. The screenplay pauses long enough to flesh out each of its characters in depth, allowing the viewer to feel deeply for the characters. The show makes you feel great sympathy for the daily existential struggle of ordinary people in their search for love and purpose in their lives. This series is one of those rare works of art that is intelligent, smart, insightful, and life-affirming. It is a beautiful story, an emotionally moving experience that that helps make the world a little better place. I am hoping that all original episodes of 'Family' will be issued on DVD soon --- I would very much like to watch this series all over again.

"I felt this show was totally realistic..."

Author: nelson_l from Summerville, GA
5 September 2000

"I felt this show was totally realistic. This program ran in the mid-seventies during the time that my wife and I were still newly married. This may have had an impact on why I feel toward the show like I do. However, I felt then as now, having grown up in a family myself, this has been the most realistically portrayed drama of an average family that I can remember seeing. I thoroughly enjoyed the program and only have good memories of it!"

A Classic Family Drama

Author: kh98021 from United States
13 August 2001

Producer Edward Zwick, along with Marshall Herskovitz, went on to produce "thirtysomething" "Relativity" "My So-Called Life" and "Once and Again." Sada Thompson, Gary Frank, and Kristy McNichol all won Emmys for their work on this series. Many veteran and up-and-coming performers made guest appearances on this series: Mildred Natwick, Tommy Lee Jones, Doris Roberts, James Woods, Elizabeth Ashley, Pat Crowley, Sheree North, David Dukes, Blair Brown, Brooke Adams, Linda Lavin, Kim Darby, William Daniels, Leirf Garrett, Annie Potts, Charlotte Rae, Shelley Long, Mare Winningham, Steve Guttenberg, Michael Biehn, Ted Danson, Stephanie Zimbalist, Michael J. Fox, and Henry Fonda (in the 1979 episode "thanksgiving" directed by Joanne Woodward). TRIVIA: James Broderick (Doug Lawrenece) is the father of actor Matthew Broderick; John Rubenstein (Jeff Maitland) wrote the theme from "Family" and is the son of pianist Arthur Rubenstein.

Bring back the hit show "Family"

Author: (ctgal69678@aol.com) from Columbus, Ohio
10 February 2002

This was a great wholesome show for all ages. Even though it took place in the 70's, the issues and problems that the family members faced are still relevant today. I have contacted TV Land about bringing it back but received no response. Are there any other stations that would be willing to show it again in syndication ?

One of the finest TV dramas.

Author: bocaproduction from United States
21 April 2006

"Family" was consistently entertaining and insightful television, in the wasteland that was late 70's television programming.

It dealt with sensitive issues in a thoughtful manner without proselytizing or being maudlin.

I had the good fortune of beginning my television career by being a fan of "Family." A new resident of the neighborhood, I hung-out during the filming of exterior shots at the location of the "Lawrence" home in South Pasadena, during "Family's" final season. That same summer, in 1979, I went to work for the production company, Spelling-Goldberg Productions. Watching "Family" shoot was magic.

The series hearkened-back to an era even earlier than the late 70's...it kind of had a sixties feel to it, an earlier, simpler, and kinder period among American families. However, unlike the family dramas that filmed during the sixties, "Family" was far more realistic and believable.

Clearly, the break-out star of "Family" was young Kristy McNichol who stole nearly every scene she was in.

"Family" is long overdue to be offered in a DVD collection, and I hope all four seasons will soon be available in a video collection.

Thanks for the memories.

Gary L. Myers

I'm happy I'm not crazy

Author: gwenny3080 from Flint, Michigan USA
16 February 2006

So for many years, I remembered a show I use to watch as a small child (I was born in 1980). For the life of me, I remembered only the theme song, the word "Family" in the title, and Kristy McNichol being in the cast. The show was on (in syndication) WSMH TV 66 here around 84-86. I owe thanks to VH1 for recently running the 100 famous teen stars in which Ms. McNichol and this wonderful show were mentioned. I am happy to know that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me and that this show really existed. I loved this show as a child and my family use to watch it together. It was a great time back then, when family actually did things as a family. I remembered eating dinner and finishing up just in time to watch this show. They (TVLand) need to bring this back so that my nieces and nephews can enjoy this classic also.

Good show...

Author: cbtemple from Rome, GA
6 November 2003

This show was great. I started watching it on the Nostalgia Network but now that network is nostalgia itself. The Pasadena setting was perfect for this family. In LA but off in a more quiet, normal and realistic location. Everything about this show is 70's and that adds to its coolness. Bellbottoms everywhere and the people in them with such problems!!!!!

Great show...but whatever happened to...?

Author: astrojet from United States
13 June 2005

Does anyone have the inside scoop on why Elayne Heilveil, the actress who played Nancy during the first six "mini series" episodes, was replaced by Meredith Baxter-Birney? Turns out it was a great move, as Meredith was far easier on the eyes and played the role beautifully, but I've always been curious. Also of note, Meredith only appeared in about every other episode...was that the producers' desire to depict her as having moved away from the family, or was it something in Meredith's contract? This show reflected my family so closely as I was about Buddy's age. The first two seasons (three, if you count the first six as a season) were fabulous. I guess you could say it jumped the shark with the addition of Quinn Cummings. I've noticed the house used for the exterior shots has appeared in several TV commercials lately.