IMDb > Last Stop on the Night Train (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
L'ultimo treno della notte

Last Stop on the Night Train More at IMDbPro »L'ultimo treno della notte (original title)

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

a "Last House" wannabe that falls short

Author: matoolz2
12 December 2002

I am in the process of collecting all the "video nasties" and I picked this one up a week or so ago. I watched it today and was disappointed overall. When it was released in the US it was called "Last House on the Left 2" and is in fact the Italian version of "Last House" but is not nearly as visually brutal. It takes place on a train going from Germany to Italy during Christmas and other then that it tries to follow the "Last House" script almost to the letter. When I say that it is not visually as brutal as "Last House" I mean that there is more innuendo then actual gore. In fact there is virtually no gore in this film and unlike "Last House" there is no nudity. The two thugs are no where near as sadistic as David Hess and his gang were in "Last House" and even display remorse when they kill the first girl. It is definitely worth a watch but don`t expect much if you`re looking for something brutal and gory.

Dark, but not particularly nasty

Author: lastliberal from United States
18 November 2008

This was a very dark film, with nefarious happenings as the countryside swept by. I really expected more from one of the infamous video nasties that was banned in Britain. It was released uncut this year.

They needn't have bothered as there are only two objectionable scenes in the whole film. They are pretty bad - a rape by a stranger (Franco Fabrizi), and a murder with a knife as a phallus.

The scum that performed the night train terror were Flavio Bucci from Suspira, and Gianfranco De Grassi, with help from Macha Méril from Deep Red.

Director Aldo Lado set a good mood and I was intrigued with his contrast with what was going on and the celebration at home. It was a holiday movie, after all, as one name is Xmas Massacre.

Five-time Oscar nominee Ennio Morricone did the score.

Watching this, as good as it was, one cannot but help thinking that there was so much more that could have been done to make this a true video nasty.

Takes too much influence from Last House on the Left, and doesn't do well with it

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
19 June 2006

You'll probably never see a review of this film that doesn't make reference to Wes Craven's classic 'The Last House on the Left', and there's a good reason for that; as this film has basically the exact (and I mean EXACT) same plot, only instead of a couple of young girls being raped, beaten and humiliated in the woods, they're raped, beaten and humiliated on board a train. Of course, I knew that this was the case before I began watching the film; but I was honestly expecting the two to differ a lot more than they actually do. I do sometimes wonder about my mental health when I purposefully track down and enjoy films like this one and The House on the Edge of the Park; films that are famous purely for relentless violence, but I can rest easy with this one as it really isn't all that enjoyable. The plot follows a couple of young women that decide to take a train ride in celebration of the holidays. However, their bad luck is in when it turns out that a trio of lunatics have also decided to ride the train that day; and the meeting between the two parties is pleasurable for one side only!

The main problem with this film is the fact that the first hour is unbelievably dull and there isn't a lot going on in the way of plot or violence. The early scenes set up the movie - but they go on too long, and the film even descends into political discussion on several occasions - and I may be on my own here, but that's not what I want from an exploitation flick. What I do want from an exploitation flick is violence, and the film doesn't completely deliver on that front either. There are unpleasant scenes aplenty in the final third, but one sequence aside; they're not all that shocking. The saving grace of Night Train Murders is director Aldo Lado's attention to detail. He makes good use of his mobile setting, and the train always seems a claustrophobic and unpleasant place to be. Ennio Morricone's score isn't one of his best, and merely goes along with the common exploitation beat. Anyone who has seen The Last House on the Left will know how it all ends, but it fails to pack a punch because the characters are so hard to care for, and Lado doesn't manage to make the audience really hate the villains. Overall, this film isn't very good; but there are a few positives, and exploitation completists may get a kick out of it.

Last House on the Left was a better rip-off of Virgin Spring

Author: Johann from United States
4 April 2006

Anyone who has seen Last House on the Left doesn't need to bother with this film. LHOTL was taken (admittedly) from Ingmar Bergman's film Virgin Spring.

The plot in that film was an old Swedish folk legend about a girl who is raped and killed by three highwaymen. The highwaymen then end up having to stay at the girl's parents' place. The parents notice that one of the murderers has a personal effect of their daughter's, and the father enacts his revenge on them for the murder.

Night Train Murders was taken from LHOTL (so they're both really ripping off the Swedes). LHOTL does it much better and keeps it relatively artistic. I didn't like this film that much. Here, they keep the two girl formula used in Last House, but has them traveling on a night train from Munich to Italy to visit one girl's parents for Christmas. The killers are two street thugs and a sadistic woman that they hook up with on the train. The girls switch trains in Austria and so do these folks. If you've seen Virgin Spring or Last House, you know what will happen.

It seems to try to keep the shock value up, but doesn't deliver highly on the watchability. The first half is rather boring (it tries to set up what is going on, but is really more trouble than it's worth). Granted, there is some sadism, sex and violence, but it's not that shocking or really necessary. Last House was considered to be very shocking when it came out. This film seemed to be playing off of that success and throw in some more shocking things. This formula didn't make it good, or even enjoyable. It seems like they were just shocking to be shocking.

Don't waste your time.

Depressing and Unoriginal "Last House on the Left"-Clone from the usually gifted Aldo Lado

Author: Bensch from Salzburg, Austria
10 March 2010

Director Aldo Lado is doubtlessly best known for his beautiful and eerie Gialli "La Corta Notte Delle Bambole Di Vetro" ("Short Night of the Glass Dolls" / "Malastrana", 1971) and "Chi L'ha Vista Morire?" ("Who Saw Her Die?" / "The Child", 1972). And rightly so, as "L'Ultimo Treno Della Notte" ("The Night Train Murders", 1975) isn't nearly as good nor as elegant as the man's Gialli. A blatant rip-off of Wes Craven's Exploitation classic "The Last House on the Left" of 1972 (which itself is a remake of Ingmar Bergmann's 1960 film "The Virgin Spring"), "The Night Train Murders" bears no surprises, and only few elements that make it worthwhile, other than a score by Ennio Morricone. "The Last House on the Left" spawned a variety of (mostly Italian) rip-offs in the following years, including Ruggero Deodato's ultra-nasty "House on the Edge of the Park" (1980), and one must sadly say that this is one of the less interesting ones. Personally, I have never been the biggest fan of Craven's film, but it is doubtlessly a milestone that was disturbing, genuinely shocking and unforgettable once one has seen it. This film has no originality, and while it has the potential to shock and disturb, it only does so in a depressing manner.

***Warning! BIG SPOILERS!!!*** Lado simply takes the story of Craven's film and transfers it into a train. Laura (Martina Berti) and Margaret (Irene Miracle) are going by train from Munich to Verona in order to spend the Christmas holiday with Laura's family. Two lowlife scumbags and a perverted bitch (played by Macha Méril, who is best known for her role in Argento's "Profondo Rosso" from the same year) begin to harass the two girls, later rape them. Later they accidentally kill one of the girls in a sadistic game, the other girl throws herself out of the window of the running train and dies. As it happens, fate then leads the three scumbags to the house of Laura's parents, and her dad his eager to take bloody revenge for his little girl...

No surprises here, just an exact copy of the plot of "The Last House on the Left", only that it isn't as effective and the ending is very lame. At least in Craven's film we saw all the scumbags wiped out by the parents, whereas in this film, the crazed female culprit, probably the worst of the pack, is still breathing by the film's end. Now that's what I call depressing: Having to see the poor girls tormented and killed first, and then not even having the opportunity to see all those responsible die agonizing deaths - this kinda makes you feel cheated as a viewer.

"The Night Train Murders" is very sadistic, but actually pretty tame in its actual depiction of gore and sleaze compared to other films of the kind. Even though i obviously didn't like this film, I have to say that it does have some good aspects. The performances are above average for a low-budget exploitation feature, particularly the beautiful Macha Méril, whose face every Italo-Horror fan will recognize from Argento's "Profondo Rosso", is wonderfully diabolical in the role of the perverted bitch she plays. The score by Ennio Morricone is good, of course, and there is one sequence that, even though depressing, goes beyond the plot of "Last House on the Left" and therefore can be applauded for its uncompromising character: The sequence in which a spectator, instead of helping the girls or calling for help happily joins their rapists once invited. Though unpleasant to watch, this scene uncompromisingly visualizes the rotten character of so many 'square' people who are always happy to do evil things, as long as they are not likely to get caught.

Still, "The Night Train Murders" is a disappointment in my eyes. The film's utterly depressing character isn't necessarily a flaw, in my opinion. I tend to love depressing, shocking and disturbing Exploitation films. This one just has no originality, and in the end it just leaves a feeling of emptiness, since the revenge part is not properly completed. Not recommended.

A shoddy, boring ripoff.

Author: universal_monster from United States
4 May 2007

Oh yeah baby, another terrible and overrated Italian exploitation film that deserves cult status about as much as "Elmo: The Movie." This one is an almost exact clone of Wes Craven's "Last House on the Left," which itself copied Ingmar Bergman's "The Virgin Spring." So what's to say about a copy of a copy? It turns out, not much. Two young women (one played by Irene Miracle from Argento's "Infero") are heading home for the holidays on a late night train. Two obnoxious punks (one played by Flavio Bucci from Argento's "Suspiria") and an equally sick upper class female (played by Macha Meril of Argento's "Deep Red") harass, humiliate, rape and ultimately murder both. The female goes back to her normal everyday life, while the punks end up at the home of one of the murdered girls. The parents find out what happened and get their revenge. After a painfully boring, terribly written first third, this has a brutal and tasteless middle, and caps it all off with an ineffective "revenge" finale that has absolutely no impact whatever and only succeed at being boring and insignificant. This film completely lacks suspense and really is just a third-rate knock-off of material done far better elsewhere. And what strikes me as funny is the number of people claiming this movie is "subtle." If you consider a girl being stabbed in the vagina and then a camera shot of the knife sticking out of her crotch to be "subtle," then you need to pick up a dictionary and look up what "subtle" means.

There are a ton of Dario Argento movie vets are the cast. Other then the three I already mentioned, there's also Gianfranco De Grassi (who appeared in the Argento-produced "The Church"), Enrico Maria Salerno ("Bird With the Crystal Plumage"), Giovanni Di Benedetto ("Four Flies on Grey Velvet" and others) and Dalila Di Lazzaro ("Phenomena").

My advice: Skip this trash!

Don't believe the hype

Author: hohumdedum2 from United States
16 November 2004

I believe this is the Euro equivalent of Last House on the Left, though no where near as brutal. In my opinion, and I'm sure other's too, the "shocking scenes" are not as gut-wrenching as Last House on the Left. The story is believable, as is Last House, but only to a certain point. The overall problem lies in the adaptation of the story. It seems as though something was lost in translation. Not much bloodletting either in comparison to Last House. The ending was sort of a let down also, and that makes for an unsatisfying view. Only recommended for those who are into the genre and want to view an obscure film, otherwise, avoid. 4 out of 10.

Crappy exploitation flick cheap knockoff of Last House on the Left

Author: MovieCriticMarvelfan from california
18 August 2005

We'll it seems during the 70's a lot of films tried to hope on the revenge you raped my daughters bandwagon. The "Night Train Murders" is no exception and like some of the others, it's a very cheap and pathetic attempt. It really is an unmemorable flick.

The overall picture that takes place on the train is too grainy and dark too watch. The acting I would call average. The girls in this movie, we'll you feel sorry for them but they don't deliver any surprises in this. Like "Last House on the Left" and other flicks, you know their going to die. They actually do have a chance to escape and there's even some bumbly old geezer that catches the disgraceful pedophiles in action but he does nothing, in fact he tries to join in!!!!

This is bad sleaze as you can tell, Meanwhile one of the daughter's dad is a doctor who claims that he isn't " a violent man". LOL!!! We'll that is about to change when her the bad news of his daughter's death.

Even the revenge scenes are a bit unsatisfying, and the movie is probably a bit wee too long It's like Aldo Lado forgot he was still filming a movie and forgot about the running time.

There's even a crappy theme song because supposedly it's Christmas , man really terrible film.

Anyhow the movie is not that great , I would almost say it's below average, but if have some time to kill and what to spend it watching a "Last House" knockoff with worse acting, and worse effects give it a look.

Well intended, but painfully bad "revenge"-rip off...

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
11 June 2004

Well, I was planning to provide this review with the title "Last Train on the Left" but that seems to be a pretty obvious choice. Nighttrain Murders tries to pick in on the success of Wes Craven's milestone as close as possible. They even managed to find a main villain resembling David Hess, who played the merciless bastard in Craven's film. The film means well and all but, it just lacks the budget, talent and inspiration to become of any importance. The entire first hour (in which two girls travel to Italy by train, in order to celebrate the Holiday season) completely lacks suspenseles or depth and it seems to be endless. Eventually, the girls are being humiliated and tortured by two madmen and a nympho-bitch. From then on, everything goes rather quickly and, before you know it, the father of one of the girls already avenged the death of his daughter. Totally "Last House on the Left" in other words...only less fascinating and only half as disturbing. Although it looks like a sleazy Italian production, the film hasn't got much violence or bloodshed in it. One scene is pretty disgusting to watch and you'll recognize which one I mean immediately. Besides that, it's nothing more but a waste of a terrific musical score by Ennio Morricone. Avoid! Unless your a fan of rare cult stuff of course.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]