IMDb > That Lucky Touch (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

That Lucky Touch More at IMDbPro »

It's really not that bad.

Author: Ffolkes-3
18 October 1999

I guess that the film wasn't so popular but I may be wrong. The fact is that many people have dislike to "That Lucky Touch" because it's not an action movie (as many of viewers had thought before watching this) but very light and "likeable" romantic comedy featuring Roger Moore, Susannah York, Shelley Winters and Lee J. Cobb.

The plot of the film isn't complexed. Arms dealer, Michael Scott (Roger Moore) prepares weapon transport for NATO. The whole operation is of course top secret, but one very inquisitive journalist, Julia Richardson (Susannah York) discovers what's going on and accidentally gets to know Michael. The problem begins when they fall in love with each other ...

Anyway, I suggest you watch "That Lucky Touch" and that's not only because of a fantastic performance given by Lee J. Cobb, and real good-looking pair Moore-York (they both had played together before in Peter Hunt's "Gold" (1974)) but also because it's a good "lonely-Friday-night" movie and Christopher Miles' gentle direction will make you feel relaxed.

Outdated at best; unwatchable at worst

Author: sgw555 from Toronto, Canada
20 March 2005

Perhaps when it came out, this movie could be watched as a light-hearted romantic comedy, but 30 years later, it's hard to buy a story about an international arms dealer selling automatic weapons to Saudis - and the 'spunky' feminist investigative reporter who loves to hate him - as a 'comedy', let alone a 'lighthearted' one.

The movie is marketed as an 'international adventure with Roger Moore', so you think you're getting a James Bond-type film with lots of action; instead, what you get is a slow-moving, heavy-footed piece of cheese - Swiss cheese, in fact, given the number of plot holes.

Moore plays arms dealer Scott, who finds himself living next door to an investigative journalist (played by Susanna York) in Brussels. He's in town to sell some hard-core weapons to the US military; she's in town to cover war games. I think he is supposed to be a charming-but-insincere international playboy, while she is supposed to be a highly principled feminist (!) just trying to get ahead in a man's world.

Unfortunately, the whole thing never really gets past the level of farce: it's just one stereotype after another. Her portrayal of 'feminism', for example, seems to consist entirely of shrieking about how terrible men are and storming off in a huff. And we never actually see her doing any 'reporting' at all, unless putting a piece of paper in a typewriter just before getting distracted by something (a phone call, a daydream) counts as 'reporting'.

Now this kind of stereotyped farce works fine when you've got lots of action, a fast-moving plot, evil villains, stylish art directing, great music, etc. But this movie hasn't got any of that. On top of which, the supporting actors don't seem to know whether they are in a comedy, a drama, or an action film.

Bottom line: Only for die-hard fans of Roger Moore or British films set in European countries during the 1965-75 period.

Author: sibisi73 from United Kingdom
31 January 2002

Teaming York and Moore together again a year after 'Gold' must've seemed like a good idea at the time, but the people behind this film certainly didn't have 'that lucky touch' (ho ho).

This is a lame comedy, that veers from sentimentality to farce and goes all over the place in between. It is, at times very funny, but for the most part it is just dull. The performances go some way to saving it, but frankly it would've been a much better (and much funnier) film if the two lead characters had just got on together and left us to watch Lee J Cobb and Shelley Winters, who are both wonderful.

Fun, enjoyable movie

Author: TinTin-6 from Belgium
17 September 2000

I was about 14 year old when my cousin told me he had seen a movie with my favorite actor, Roger Moore, set in Belgium. I would have believed him if he hadn't added that the end of the film was set in the castle of Rumbeke, the village my grand parents lived. That sounded just way to unreal. But he was right. 'That Lucky Touch' which was first going to be called 'Heaven save us from our friends' was shot entirely in Belgium (most of it in Brussels) and it's climax was shot in the forest of the castle of Rumbeke. I like this film. Living in the states, it gives me a warm feeling each time I see it. It makes me feel like being home again. My favorite scene is the one in which Roger Moore and Suzanne York are sitting in a cozy pub on the famous grand place in Brussels. Moore tells York that he wants to show her what Belgians do in the early morning hours ... they eat onion soup!?!?!? Hmm, what movies can teach you about your own national traditions.....