IMDb > Smile (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Smile

Smile More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This is one of the great undiscovered comedies of all time.

Author: alexcams from Canada
18 December 2006

Twenty-five years after this film about the Young America Miss contest was filmed in Santa Rosa, California, the fates sent me to that lovely town on business. During lunch in a local restaurant, I did an impression of one of the film's lines: "What does Santa Rosa think about that?" and half a dozen heads turned to stare at me in shock and anger. If a single line from a movie can still upset the local power structure of a self-satisfied town a quarter-century later, it must be doing something right. In fact, writer Jerry Belson, director Michael Ritchie and a great cast of veteran or young actors did about everything right. Funny, insightful and true. What more can a smart viewer want from a movie?

'70s satire

Author: blanche-2 from United States
6 November 2009

All the beauty contestants have to "Smile" in this 1975 film written by Jerry Belson and directed by Michael Ritchie. It's a take-off on pageants and American values in the '70s. It stars Barbara Feldon, Bruce Dern, Michael Kidd, and Nicholas Pryor, while featuring some familiar young faces as contestants: Melanie Griffith, Colleen Camp, and Annette O'Toole.

Feldon is the ever-chipper but icy "Young American Miss" who has no use for her drunken husband (Pryor) and devotes herself to the pageant; she's terrific, as is Bruce Dern as a used car salesman, the main judge of the pageant who has an enterprising son with a Polaroid camera. Best of all is Michael Kidd as the choreographer. Kidd started out as a ballet dancer, moved to Broadway, and finally Hollywood where he danced, acted, and choreographed, later adding directing to his list of talents. Here, he gives a wonderful performance as a choreographer whose cynicism and toughness hides a heart of gold.

There are too many vignettes among the contestants to describe - the talent competition that consists of packing a suitcase, the flaming baton; the rehearsals with the orchestra are hilarious, as is the contestant looking for her butter churn.

The film hits just the right note between satire/comedy and drama. Beauty contestants haven't changed much; they all want to help people, and being brought up without a father is a distinct advantage. Boys are still horny. And never has any of this been presented in a more of a light, amusing way than in "Smile."

great comedic commentary on American culture

Author: Robert D. Ruplenas
5 July 2009

When this film first came out thirty-four years ago (which seems impossible) the college crowd I hung with absolutely loved it. I was delighted to see it come up on one of the cable movie channels recently and after watching it again after lo these many years I am delighted to be able to report that its wittily insightful commentary has lost none of its edge or relevance. The flick really does deserve a place in whatever Hall of Fame is dedicated to commentary on American culture. It really is a comedy, but it has just enough raw edges to give it some genuine bite. The pacing is handled very well, and we are able to develop a genuine interest in many of the characters. The movie never descends to grossness or imbecility, although - given the subject matter, a regional beauty competition - the opportunities are plentiful. Bruce Dern's character is wonderfully drawn; it would be so easy to portray him as a dolt, but he is shown as a sincerely well-meant guy, which is what makes his subtly characterized thoughtfulness at the end of the movie so effective. Interesting to see Melanie Griffith - at the age of 18! - in one of her earliest credited performances. My favorite character is Michael Kidd, the choreographer; cynical, bitter, yet a true professional, he seems the only one in the flick that really cares about the girls, yet he has no illusions about himself. There are just so many wonderful moments in this film - thanks to a brilliant script and great direction - that it deserves a place as a minor classic of Americana.

Everything that's wrong with America, in under two hours

Author: marcslope from New York, NY
4 August 2008

Extremely smart little satire that uses a state beauty pageant as a microcosm for a stinging look at American values, with hypocrisy rampant and greed triumphant. Writer Jerry Belson delineates his characters very carefully, so that we know whom to side with and whom to despise, and the nearly no-name cast portrays them brilliantly. Talented Joan Prather is the contestant we most identify with, decent, but slowly being corrupted as the urge to win overtakes her, and Michael Kidd is the semi-big-time choreographer who at first seems callous and unlikable but turns out to be merely seeing, and telling, it like it is. There's some too-easy comedy as we view the contestants' terrible talent competition entries, but at the end we've seen a remarkably thorough put-down of American values circa 1975. (Maybe it didn't get more attention because its utter honesty and accuracy about the American way of winning, a pet theme of the director's, made people uncomfortable.) The final scene, in the police car, is just a perfect wrap-up.

You need to see this film

Author: hamletta from Nashvegas
5 August 2007

My fellow commenters have done a lovely job of summing up the wonderfulness of this movie.

But I don't think enough has been said about Maria O'Brien.

She is the daughter of the late, great Edmond O'Brien, and she is off-the-hook funny in this movie.

I knew her "whackamolehthip" was laying it on thick, and I'm just a gringa with a good accent. And then she drops the accent when talking to the stage manager: "I need red and green gels for my entrance...."

"Applause, applause, applause...."

Maria O'Brien is brilliant.

She should be as famous as her father never was.

Enjoyable Comedy

Author: consortpinguin from NH -- the First primary State
1 July 2001

"Smile" is a perfect satire of our human penchant for joining clubs and organizations. Set against the "Miss Teen California" Pageant, this film parodies the pettiness, power plays, and self-importance of the contest's organizers.

At the time, I had just joined the Jaycees and I roared with laughter at all the "Jaycee types" I saw. Bruce Dern, the enthusiastic but dense Jaycee President "Big Bob Friedlander" sets the tone of the festivities. Barbara Feldon as chairwoman Brenda DiCarlo runs a taut ship, but is none too bright. In fact her husband, Andy, is literally driven to drink and runs away from the "exhausted rooster" ceremony rather than kiss a dead chicken. Big Bob's son, "Little Bob" and his friends get caught running a business of taking pictures of the girls dressing rooms through the windows.

In one of the less ethical aspects of the pageant, the Jaycees wait until their choreographer has taught the girls a dance number using a runway out into the audience. Suddenly the Jaycees take away the runway to accommodate "the golden circle" of $150 seats. As the choreographer tries the number without the runway, one of the girls falls. Putting the honest choreographer in a moral bind of money vs. safety, the Jaycees only put the runway back in by forcing him to deduct the cost of the "golden circle" tickets from his fee.

This film is a lot of laughs, starting at the very beginning, when one of the local pageant winners presents as her "talent" a demonstration of how to pack your suitcase. During the credits, as she runs to the plane to the pageant, her suitcase flies open, spilling everything all overt he place. The contestants steal the show. Some of the "talent" is singing, and, well, none of them have ever won a Grammy. Shortly after Maria ingratiates her way into Barbara Feldon's favor, her "talent" of flinging lighted batons ends in disaster as a few of the other contestants chuckle conspiratorially.

I didn't quit the Jaycees, but I certainly had many laughs at the meetings! In short, a great comedy! I recommend it highly and give it an "8."

Smile

Author: merlin-jones from Berkeley, Ca.
5 December 2011

SMILE hits home as it was filmed in the summer of 1974 when I graduated from high school, in Sonoma County, where Santa Rosa is. It is an accurate representation of Santa Rosa, 1974. I know many of the people in it, and my friends white 62 Chevy Impala is used. I can point out to many faces in the audience during the pageant, including an old high school history teacher. For me now it is a ghost town movie, as the current Santa Rosa has grown 3 times the size. The town you see in the film has been developed out of existence, and now seems like a dream. SMILE is based on the Junior Miss Pageant, which use to be held at The Veteran's Memorial, where the filmed pageant takes place. Mark Ritchie coached the paid actors well, as I could believe they were like local folks acting out as Santa Rosans. As a Cultural Anthropology study Smile is a gem. It is a time capsule to 1970's Santa Rosa. Another film to see is Hitchcock's Shadow Of A Doubt. It too takes place in Santa Rosa around 1942, and has many points of location gone by the time Smile was filmed. Thorton Wilder wrote the Hitchcock screenplay for Santa Rosa, as he saw it as the best example of a American small town. The same can be said about Smile, but now Santa Rosa is an edge city.

Drop Dead Gorgeous of the 70's

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
4 October 2004

A great film for those who have ever been, or have though of being involved with a pageant. The up's and down's of the pageant take center stage as this comedy deals with the roles that everyone has. The judges, contestants, family members, local residents, and even the horny teenagers in the area are all represented. Bruce Dern stars as the main judge of the pageant. Although it mostly his story the movie tells, his friends and the girls he judges have stories that are told. The very young and very beautiful Melanie Griffith co-stars as the eye candy of the pageant. She is the 'poster' of the film if not the main attraction. Having a small role, she ends up playing a bigger role than her characters allows her to have. Overall, the movie becomes a black comedy as the pageant progresses. In the end, some learn a valuable lesson while others just try to look pretty.

A comment on the pop culture of the 1970's

Author: sdave7596 from United States
20 March 2011

"Smile" released in 1975, is director Michael Ritchie's commentary on the absurdity of beauty pageants. The movie takes place in Santa Rosa, as it is time for the "Junior Miss" California beauty pageant. Bruce Dern is spot-on as an RV salesman by day, and one of the judges of the contest by night. Interesting, he takes his part as a judge very seriously. Barabara Feldon plays a former Junior Miss, and she is at times hilarious as she is so intense and regimented about guiding the young contestants through the grueling competition. However, she has problems at home, including an alcoholic husband (Michael Kidd) who also seems to be on the verge of an emotional breakdown. Dern has a horny teen-age son (Eric Shea) who gets caught taking pictures through the windows of the girls changing their clothing, and then is sent to a psychiatrist as punishment! There is a bizarre initiation ceremony that Dern and Kidd attend, with the men dressed up in KKK attire. It has to be seen to be believed! Everything about this film reeks of the 1970's, from the famous "smile" pictures that were everywhere, to one of the contestants doing an imitation of the famous "Ernestine" the telephone operator, made famous by Lily Tomlin. For those of us who came of age in this decade (as I did) it was all so familiar and hilarious. The film is obviously a satire, poking fun at 1970's middle America. It was showing us who we were, warts and all. Look for a young Annette O'Toole and Melanie Griffith as two of the contestants, and all of the young ladies playing the beauty pageant contestants are quite good. The casting of this film is excellent. So check this out -- particularly if you remember this decade with the fondness, or maybe some groans too.

Will put a Smile on your face.

Author: brefane from United States
6 October 2007

Near perfect, sharply observed satire on beauty pageants will put a smile on your face and keep it there. Smile is one of the best American comedies of its era, and along with 1972's The Candidate, it may be Michael Ritchie's best film. The acting, writing, editing, and casting are superb, and Smile is consistently entertaining and funny. The dialog and the characters are believable, and the entire cast is flawless. Bruce Dern has never been more sympathetic or likable, and Barbara Feldon has never been seen to better advantage. Annette O'Toole, Maria O'Brien, Joan Prather, and Melanie Griffith standout among the contestants, and Eric Shea and Michael Kidd head a pitch perfect supporting cast. Smile is satire that is neither mean nor condescending and the pageant sequence in Little Miss Sunshine could have been inspired by Smile. Smile compares favorably with some of Alexander Payne's (Citizen Ruth, Election) and Jonathan Demme's(Citizens Band, Melvin and Howard) comedies. Don't miss an opportunity to Smile.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]