IMDb > The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Page 1 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A young naive couple experience a modern Frankenstein.

Author: taysurfs from Seattle, United States
16 September 2005

Those who gave this gem a low score - Please! Crawl back in your cardboard life and stay there! This film bubbles with zest, wit, subtle humor, raw humor, strange scenes, great songs and a huge host of memorable characters. Most of the characters are drawn as sharply as if a straight razor...well, not straight...as if a razor had been used. Not intended for the super straight part of our culture, which is why it usually plays at midnight shows, but you'll notice that it's been playing steadily for 30 years now, especially along the American coasts, which is a better record that almost anything else you can think of (excluding Gome With The Wind in Atlanta, a single town). I even took my mother to one of the 15 or so theater viewings I've attended. She thought the dressed up audience was a little strange, but she found out why they were so enthusiastic and quite liked the show. It's just a time slip....

Better To Watch At Home!

Author: Gazzer-2 from USA
2 March 2001

A squeaky-clean young couple, Brad & Janet (Barry Bostwick & Susan Sarandon), get a flat tire on a late rainy night, and decide to stop off at a nearby castle to use the residents' phone and call for help. What they don't realise is that these are no ordinary residents: Dr. Frank N Furter (Tim Curry), with assistance from his servants Riff Raff (Richard O'Brien), Magenta (Patricia Quinn), and their ragtag bunch of fellow Transylvanians, has his own diabolical plans for the evening, set against a kick-butt rock 'n' roll music score....

Call me a twisted "Rocky Horror" fan, but I actually prefer to watch this cult classic movie-musical in the comfort of my own home, rather than going out to one of those midnight theatrical screenings that have made this 1975 film so popular. Oh, I'm sure there's great fun to be had at a midnight showing, but the fact is, you're not going to see or hear very much of the movie itself, what with the audience shouting & throwing stuff at the screen literally every two seconds (think of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" on speed), as well as the live cast performing in front of the movie screen! If you want to really *see and hear* "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as you would any other film, watch it on video first. Then, when you've got the movie firmly etched in your head, head out to the theater. But NOT before!

Having said that, this movie version of the hit stage musical written by Richard O'Brien (Riff Raff himself), is a ton of great, naughty fun. It wonderfully sends up B-movie sci-fi/horror flicks, with a playful, healthy dose of blatant sexual innuendo thrown in for good measure. Classic, memorable rock 'n' roll tunes written by O'Brien throughout, including "The Time Warp," "Sweet Transvestite," "Hot Patootie"....the list goes on and on. And, of course, you have a spectacular cast, led by Tim Curry, who IS the larger-than-life Dr. Frank N Furter, and a young, attractive Susan Sarandon, who simply lights up the screen as Janet. But everyone else, including Barry Bostwick, Meatloaf, Little Nell, Patricia Quinn, and Charles Gray all make excellent contributons, too.

I love "The Rocky Horror Picture Show": it's very funny, sexy, and brilliantly performed, with great rock 'n' roll music t'boot. But I, personally, still prefer to watch it at home, where I can see the film in peace & quiet without being yelled in my ear, getting soaked, or having rice & toast tossed all around me!

The Mother of All Cult Films

Author: mercuryix-1 from United States
14 September 2005

Or I should say, the Sweet Transvestite of all cult films!

To those who haven't seen Rocky Horror, don't bother reading reviews about it. It won't mean anything. Don't rent it on DVD which it recently came out on. It also won't mean anything, because it's missing the thing that gave it and the stage play that preceded it life... the audience. By definition, a cult film is meant to be seen by a group. Preferably, a large one.

I saw Rocky Horror 20-something years ago, and wound up playing "Brad" with the players next to the stage. Something I would normally never do. Why? The show's energy sucked me in. More accurately, the audience's energy sucked me in.

The show, with a revved-up audience, is almost like a dialogue between the movie and the people watching it. It celebrates sex, hedonism, even while playing out the danger, violence, and tragedy it can result in. It allows the audience of mostly young kids to exude and rejoice in their sexuality, whatever it is. And without ever taking their clothes off. I think that is the real appeal of the show. There's a joyousness, and a strange innocence, in throwing raunchy comments at the screen, watching the live performers on-stage act out the scenes in racy costumes, and sharing the energy anonymously in the dark with strangers.

The live show with the original actors must have been electrifying. Plays always have more energy than films because of the immediacy of the live actors, and the energy must have been even more intense. I'll always regret not having the chance to have seen it.

The movie itself has been described too many times for me to give a synopsis. I will however say that it is really a collage of feelings, ranging from fear, trepidation, excitement, lust, joyous sexual fulfillment, more lust, tragedy, and a strange sadness at the end. Basically, all the emotions that make life worth living, in an hour and a half. However, the visceral enjoyment of this film, and the emotions it brings, will only be experienced with a large, highly energized audience. If you get a chance, and if you can get your reserved ego out of the way, go to a midnight showing in your area when you know there's going to be a big showing. Don't go expecting a logical, coherent storyline. Its about experience, not narrative. You'll get an experience that you've been missing your whole life. At the end, there is a message here, hidden under all the seemingly blissful hedonism. It takes a long time for it to become clear, however.

I wonder if O'Brian, its creator, was clever enough to have put it there all along?

By the way, there is no nudity or actual sex in the entire movie. For a movie with its reputation, that's pretty amazing. Compared to the slasher/gore fests passing themselves off as film these days, the movie is strangely quaint and innocent. But then, that's what true enjoyment of sensuality should be.

For a cult film, 10 out of 10 stars. It doesn't get any better than this as cult films go.

dammit Janet!

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
19 October 2003

Moving on from the riotous cult stage show which was born in a small studio theatre in the early 70s, this movie version is a well-cast, outrageous romp showcasing the absurdity and sci-fi obsession of Richard O'Brien's inventive musical.

The small cast - the wonderful Tim Curry as Frank 'n Furter (the sweet transvestite from transsexual Transylvania'); Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon as the odd science students Brad and Janet; Patricia Quinn as Magenta ('a domestic'); Little Nell as Columbia ('a groupie'), Jonathan Adams as Dr Scott; Meat Loaf as Eddie; Richard O'Brien himself as the handyman Riff Raff; Peter Hinwood as the muscle man Rocky, created by Frank in a spoof on Frankenstein; and Charles Gray having a great time as the Criminologist - are all really good, and the songs are terrific, from the madness of 'The Timewarp' and 'Sweet Transvestite', to the ethereal 'There's a Light' and 'I'm Going Home', by way of the rocky 'Whatever Happened To Saturday Night?' and the film-reference heavy 'Science Fiction Double Feature'.

Great, great fun and the floor show sequence in particular, showcasing Frank's obsession with Fay Wray and the RKO cheapies, is exceptional, with its statues in basques and its huge swimming pool. Trash, yes, but classy trash, and most enjoyable.

Science Fiction Double Feature!

Author: mdm-11 from United States
22 May 2005

We-e-e-elcome to the Late Night Double Feature Picture Show! This Cult-Classic mixes elements of "Bride of Frankenstein" with "Forbidden Planet", "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and other classic Horror Flicks. This is a brilliantly conceived original, unsurpassed by any similar effort.

The heroes, a newly engaged young couple, are stranded with car trouble on a rainy night, looking to use the phone at the "Frankenfurter Mansion". They are in for a turbulent ride! There are some great song & dance numbers here, most noteworthy the "Time Warp" and the numbers involving "Eddie" (played by a then unknown Meatloaf). Tim Curry is delicious as the bisexual satyr-like Frankenfurter, who sees his young visitors as fair game for seduction.

The action is fast paced with one thrill after another. It's quite understandable that some fans have watched this film every Saturday at Midnight for the past 30 years. Get a bag of rice, toast, a squirt-gun, surgical gloves, etc, and have yourself a Rocky Horror Picture Show Party!

You'd better believe that Susan Sarandon can sing!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
23 September 2005

Well, everybody knows that "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is probably the ultimate cult classic; at this point, "RHPS" isn't even really a cult movie anymore, due to its prominence. The plot (or whatever it is) of course has Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon) and Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) going to a castle run by the bizarre Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry), a "transvestite from transsexual Transylvania". Mostly, the movie seems like a big excuse to be weird, and they do just that to great effect. And who ever would have guessed that Susan Sarandon, now known for serious roles, could do such a cool job singing? So, was "RHPS" trying to tell us anything? Who cares? It's just so neat that you just have to sit back and enjoy. And enjoy you will, even if you think that nothing good came out of the '70s (I, for one, don't hold that opinion).

Great fun and hilarious, I'll always love it!

Author: ItWasGreatWhenItAllBegan from United States
18 September 2005

The Rocky Horror Picture Show isn't a film for everyone. You need a sense of humor to enjoy, I would say, and must have an open mind.

Back in the 70s I used to see this film almost every weekend with my buddies. It was a blast! The audience participation is so energetic! Dressing up was also something I loved doing (I'd dress as Magenta!) The film is hilarious and the lines delivered are priceless. Kudos to Richard O'Brien for writing such a good script! And the actors were simply amazing!! A first role for many of the stars. Tim Curry stands out as Dr. Frank-N-Furter, 'the sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania', a role he will always be famous and remembered for. He is so hilarious, delivers his lines perfectly and, if I do say so myself, he is quite magnetizing! Susan Sarandon performs great as Janet Weiss and has a very nice singing voice. Barry Bostwick's character, Brad, is simply lovable! Patricia Quinn and Little Nell are 2 beautiful women playing 2 beautiful characters who are also very entertaining! Charles Gray and Jonathan Adams are also a great addition to the film.

Another major plus of this film is the singing and the dancing! Catchy songs and thrilling dance numbers drew me to this film the most! So see it at home, see it in the theater, but just make sure you see it and get ready to have ultimate fun with what is, in my opinion, the best movie out there!!

Let's do The Time Warp Again!

Author: Adriane Simo (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
17 August 1999

Oh, come on admit it: we all love this movie and have gone to see it in the theatre. I have only seen it live once, but it was something that I won't soon forget. I still love watching it at home and practice the singing! Tim Curry, Susan and Barry are all hilarious, and the songs will be forever imbedded into your brain. "Damn it Janet, I love you."

A gem of a musical that started as a smash play in London, then scored a phenomenal success on the midnight "cult movie" circuit…

Author: Righty-Sock (robertfrangie@hotmail.com) from Mexico
7 October 2008

A middle-class young couple, motoring in the country on their wedding night, have car trouble in front of a huge mansion… Wanting to use the phone, the two approach the house and go in just as its master, Dr. Frank N. Furter, is leading an experiment… His newly made creature, the body-beautiful Rocky, is ready to be unveiled, and the innocent couple is caught up in this strange household filled with the doctor's campy, exotically dressed admirers… Both the wife and the husband are seduced by this garter-belted "scientist."

The film's first half is fast and funny, with virtually every song a memorable one… But the second half tries to do too much and the film loses much of its potency… Nevertheless, the adorable characters make this a delightful entertainment…

Yes, it really is the greatest cult-film of all-time.

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
25 December 2005

It's fairly easy to see why "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" became such a huge cult-favorite so quickly... So huge even that the fans went to screenings all dressed up like drag-queens, singing along with the songs and waving around cigarette lighters. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" simply is a tremendously inspiring movie and it's almost impossible not to start swinging yourself when the legendary songs such as "The Time Warp" and "Touch Me" are being sung by the vivid cast. The screenplay is adapted from Richard O'Brien (who also co-stars) play and it still comes across as very wit and all-knowing in its humor. There's spoofing and referring to everything from Universal and RKO-Pictures horror movies over typically 50's science-fiction to Hammer horror and the filming locations & set pieces are leftovers from other classic genre titles. The story is ridiculously simple and merely just introduces a young couple whose car breaks down near a ominous dark castle. When they go there for help, they're sucked into the eccentric world of transvestite Dr. Frank 'N Furter and his bizarre collection of servants and friends. The frenzied doctor created himself a muscled and blond-haired toy-boy and he's in the middle of presenting his creation when Brad and Janet (a great early role for Susan Sarandon) stumble in. The lines and song lyrics are often hilarious and far from politically correct and the lingerie costumes are quite nifty. All the acting performances are terrific but immensely divergent, since Tim Curry's Frank 'N Furter is extremely grotesque whereas Charles Gray's narrating character is straight-faced.

Page 1 of 48:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]