IMDb > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Page 7 of 76: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Review

Author: lease03 from United States
2 May 2010

McMurphy as played by Jack Nicholson believes that by feigning mental illness, it will enable him to serve out his time in a mental institution rather than the hard time behind prison walls. McMurphy's view of freedom comes in the form of the perceived lazy days of a mental institution rather than back breaking work at the labor camp.

Upon his initial arrival, it is evident that he believes himself to be superior to the other patients at the hospital and of sound mind. This is noted by his harsh criticism of the patients as well as his desire to wear street clothes as opposed to the patient uniform worn by everyone else. As McMurphy later learns. most of the patients were there voluntarily: Martini (Danny Divito), Sefelt (William Duell) and Bancini (Josep Elic). McMurphy finds this notion incredulous and wondering why they would choose to stay rather than have their freedom.

Like the movie Girl, Interrupted; there seems to be a strong character that has a profound effect on those around them in the institution. At times this influence can be a good thing like when McMurphy befriends the Chief and teaches him to play basketball thus building his self esteem. There are times when this can be a bad thing, like when McMurphy lending Billy Bibbit his girlfriend to experience an evening woman thinking that it will help heal him. In the end it is this act that causes him great guilt and remorse as bestowed onto him by Nurse Ratched and he decides that taking his own life in the end would be less painful than having to confront his mother over his actions.

Nurse Ratched as portrayed by Louise Fletcher plays a straight laced nurse seemingly out for the best interest of all of her patients but in the end it is her desire for strict order and discipline that motivates her. While she is in a constant struggle for mind-share over the patients with McMurphy, she can't help but to get some amount of personal satisfaction when the treatment of McMurphy is escalated based on his outbursts.

In the end, McMurphy creates many chances to escape himself but like the others seems to find more comfort in the group than outside the walls. What he believed to be freedom and his eventual idea of escape was the very setting that killed him in the end gaining him the ultimate freedom.

One of the greatest of all time

Author: Hussain Alkhaja from United States
14 November 2015

One of the best movies of all time. I've never seen so many well played characters in just a one movie. Each actor did more than a great job. I did not doubt that any of these isn't a crazy person! not for a SINGLE moment!

Jack Nicholson's performance was something else. Definitely deserved his Oscar achievement!

Louise Fletcher's performance was as great and spectacular as Jack's! I'm absolutely going to watch more movies of her after seeing this performance from her!

The worst thing of this great movie is the ending. I really hoped to have a more detailed ending than seeing Murphy die like that! I would have loved to see more scenes of him struggling with the Docs and trying to defend him self. Five of six minutes of that can never hurt nobody, i guess! but that ending isn't a bad one at all, actually, it was a very good one!

An Impeccably Made Film about Repression by Authorities

Author: souplipton from Canada
9 November 2015

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a 1975 drama film by Milos Forman about the inmates in a mental institution and their struggles against the nurse in charge.

The film portrays the impact of the arrival of a new patient at the ward of a mental institution run with an iron fist by authoritarian Nurse Ratchet. Ratchet maintains control over all aspects of the patient's lives by whatever means necessary, intimidation, humiliation, and rigged competitions being common techniques. A rebel attempting to escape the labour of a short prison sentence, RP McMurphy finds the patients being oppressed by the authorities in the institution. Being an anti-establishment type, he continuously butts heads with Nurse Ratchet, and the struggle for the autonomy of the patients escalates.

The film is shot in a clear, straightforward, and compelling manner, eschewing complicated cinematography for clarity and simplicity. This manner of filming allows the characters to be the focus of the scenes, and the actors take full advantage of this. Nicholson and Fletcher are perfect in their roles, and their scenes together make for some of the best drama in film.

An excellent story whose style accentuates the strengths of the film, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is not to be missed.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Author: jytwright from United States
9 November 2015

This movie was such an amazing story, plot, theme and group of actors I have ever seen. To have some of the greatest actors in our generation in one movie was genius and it was even more amazing that they were all at the start of their great iconic careers. I would watch this movie every time it came on television and I own the movie on DVD myself. Jack Nicholson did an amazing at acting the way he did and every actor gave a me the feeling that the character they played was actually them in real life. I had lots of emotions in this movie and it allowed me to see how messed up the system of mental hospitals were during that time period. The best part to me was the end because it was a very unexpected way to end the movie and it upset to be honest, but I still overall loved the movie!

his smile is eternal

Author: Mohamed mustafa Mohamed from Iraq, babylon
27 October 2015

as usual jack nailed it as he is well known for his mental roles. think this movie is his type.it shows you how the worst places on earth can show the best of us.for me i think the Indian giant(will Sampson) played a main and an emotional role in the plot.i liked Danny Devitto and the other pricks they did well. i wont write much since the movie is ranked #15 in IMDb and won 5 Oscars. Milos Forman on the other side ,i cant even imagine how he perfected his masterpiece.i mean AMADEUS will keep him one of the great directors in the world. he has this magic when it comes to something touching the deepest points in the human being.

A Powerful Protest, and a Tragedy of the Failed System

Author: tjgoalie13 from United States
21 October 2015

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a social protest film that attacked the social stereotypes and tragic failures of the mental health system. The film pulls no punches and is often hard to watch, but is so powerful in it's message that it remains a classic film of the 1970's. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a complex film, about complex people misidentified as simple. Much like other modern protest films One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest applies to one societal problem, but can transcend its subject matter and represent more modern problems, making it truly timeless.

Many films have approached the community aspect of human life, some attacking it some defending it, this film seems to do both at the same time. The film contains a major paradox, both criticizing those who shun people from society for their differences, while showing that community is part of the human way of life, and that even society's rejects need community. Most of the shots throughout the film are medium or close ups, which most likely represents what a close group the patients are. It's both tragic, brilliant, and heartwarming to see how a group of neglected and forgotten people can band together, when society turns its back on them.

The most impressive aspect of the film is the treatment of the characters, which is most likely a representation of the time it came out. Many of the characters in this film are connected by the fact that they have mental health issues, and they are rejects, but the characters are all distinctly different characters, and not just stereotypes. The treatment of the characters is impressive in it's own right, because today critics would probably say that the film is insensitive, it's humor is occasionally a little crude, but it's the exact opposite, the characters are treated as normal human beings, which is the most equal way to treat any character in any film.

The movie contains a very angry message pointed at the methods of treatment for the mentally ill, and is an extremely powerful, albeit a little hard to watch, because of it. Simply put as the film progresses we see all of these characters, go through the horrific treatment they were subjected to, all the while following one main character, Randle. By the end of the film the main character is a vehicle for the message being sent, as the story takes Randall, a broken man, and breaks him permanently. By the end the audience should realize that they have watched a film, exemplifying the tragedy of the failing system.

In conclusion One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a powerful, social protest film that uses great characters to send it's message. Beautifully acted, tragic, and infinitely complex, its message transcends its subject matter and represent a tragedy of the system's ineptitude. It's also one of the few movies that can tackle such a tough subject with care, respect, and finesse, it's just in general a great film.

An exiting story about madness that comes from where we least expect it.

Author: rodrigo-30187 from Los Angeles
29 September 2015

The story Goes about the Main character McMurphy accepting his new life in the hospital, and nurse Ratched plays the antagonist, despite her role being the good guy and McMurphy being the bad guy. This isn't a story about Anti hero, but Rather about how far do people push each other until something serious happens. Both McMurphy and Nurse Ratched push each other like a competitive game, and it the end it hurt them and innocent victims who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The acting was great, and the stakes they held were reasonable, they had a realistic view on the environment that they were in. I read the book too, but despite the book having much better detail, the movie did great, it told the story well.

Favorite Movie

Author: michaelerhardw
29 August 2015

I think this movie has the saddest but best ending that I've seen in any movie. I think the ending is what makes this sometimes funny, sometimes very sad masterpiece what it is. After I watched OFOTCN I re-watched the end 10 times because I loved it so much.

Thats not the only thing I love about this movie, I think Jack Nicholson gave one of the best performances I've ever seen. And Louise Fletcher did a great job as Nurse Ratched. She really makes you hate her which not everyone can pull off. Not only are those two Oscar winning performances really good, but the rest of the cast is amazing. Danny DeVito is very funny at some parts and Christopher Lloyd does a great job at getting angry and convincing us he's mentally ill. Those are the 2 more well known supporting cast, but everyone is awesome. Everybody in this movie is too good that I don't have enough room to write about all of them. Hands down my favorite movie.

Seemingly overrated

Author: Sexy Scientist
9 August 2015

What a sh*t piece of a movie... No characters except the lead character are believable. It seems that the story, oh pardon, there is no story,the scenes are written only considering one character and all other characters are woven around him. And when I say him, it reminds me that this movie is very disgraceful to the women. The head nurse Ratched is shown pure evil and oppressive to the patients from the starting till the end. There is no development of her character. Then, there is Cindy, who is in the movie just to be the arm candy of McMurphy. I could handle this much sh*t, but then she slept with Billy just because McMurphy said so. Writers, please write believable characters. Okay, the crazy ones' characters are unexplainable and non-relatable, but Cindy, why there is no character development of hers? The only good thing about this movie is the acting of Jack Nicolson. Even he could do a lot better.

Disappointing

Author: omneneci from United Kingdom
25 June 2015

The movie is OK; however there is lot of the book that is left out. After reading the novel i had great expectations for many of the characters that then left me disappointed. However, the acting is pretty good and the main point of the novel is still seen throughout.

At the risk of coming across as a hipster, to anyone who hasn't read the book this film is great. i definitely recommend it to anyone interested in mental health and how it was dealt with in years gone by.

I personally don't agree with how the movie ends. The novels depiction of chief Bromden killing McMurphy was heart wrenching and really leaves an impact. The movie does not really show how difficult the others on the ward felt about Mcmurphys lobotomy.