IMDb > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Page 5 of 72: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Superb !!!!

Author: Majid-Hamid from Malaysia
30 October 2008

A super powerful movie!! Worthy to be in the top 10 movie in history!! This definitely the greatest performance ever by jack Nicholson, and he Had won an Oscar for it...he really deserves it!! Great cast and strong Performance by other actors and actress especially brad dourif and Christopher Lloyd had level up the movie!!! Brad dourif won an Oscar.. He really deserves it as the best supporting actor of the year!! This Movie won best picture of the year too!! It is truly amazing!!I am very X 9999 impressed with this movie!!!This is one of the greatest movie in History!!!

Perfect and superb!!!!

Don't miss it!!

Watch it !!!!!

10/10**** :)

Not Kesey, But Still Well-Crafted

Author: Josh (darkjosh333@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, CA
27 November 2000

Milos Forman's film may not be entirely true to Ken Kesey's novel, but it is still, in its own right, an inspiring, well-crafted, emotional and intelligent telling of the choice to conform or rebel.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest stars Jack Nicholson as Randal McMurphy, a prisoner who decides he'd have a better time serving out his sentence in a mental ward, but ultimately ends up enlivening the patients there and showing them the beauty of life.

Jack Nicholson's performance as McMurphy is deservedly Oscar-winning, inspiring, and is surely one of the best of his career. As the naive Billy Bibbit, Brad Douriff is impressive and touching in his film debut. Louise Fletcher does well as Nurse Ratched, even though she doesn't really compare to the tough-as-nails Big Nurse as written of by Kesey. She is more than up to the performance, however, and is effective as the ice-cold Ratched.

A truly inspiration film with fantastic performances, terrific scenes, and a double-edged, satisfying ending.

9 out of 10

Fans of novel should lighten up

Author: hmmm...boy from Norwich, Engalnd
24 November 2000

This film should be thought of as a re-imagining of the book. It may be different to the novel, but so what. The film is a good film, a separate entity to the book. When a director adapts a book to the big screen, a better film is made when they're not working within the boundaries of someone elses perception, after all, whats the point of having a carbon copy of the book on screen? Jack Nicholson is nearly always great, and it has some great impacts when its shifting from scene to scene, funny then depressing, a microcosm of emotions, a clasic film, I loved it

A wonderful film

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
6 March 2009

Before I discuss this exceptional film, I need to point out that there is a lot of truth to this film if you are looking for what it was like in psychiatric hospitals in the 1950s and into the 60s. The hellish practices and dehumanization was definitely true of many facilities during this era. However, today, many of the horrific abuses are no longer relevant. So, while some will point to this film as proof that psychiatry in general is evil personified (such as the Scientologists), for the most part, this isn't the case today. Shock treatment is rarely done today and when it is, it's nothing like it is portrayed in the film and it actually has therapeutic value when all else fails. Lobotomies are also thankfully a thing of the past. So, while debating the pros and cons of hospitalization and medications is reasonable today, don't assume the film is in any way like psychiatric institutions today--many of which have been closed or severely reduced in size as well as the length of stay of the average patient.

The film begins with a cocky sociopathic criminal, McMurphy (Jack Nicholson), being sent to a psychiatric hospital from prison. It seems McMurphy thinks that by "playing crazy" he'll have an easier time and shorter stay in a hospital instead of prison. However, over time, he comes to see that a mental hospital is a pretty sick place--particularly when it comes to the crazy staff who run the place. McMurphy responds to this system by constantly fighting it and trying to subvert their needless rules and control. Some of this is very funny (such as the fishing trip) and you can understand why he would fight the oppressive ways of the hospital. In the end, however, the system ultimately crushes him like so many others. The conclusion is certainly something you won't forget!

Although Jack Nicholson was great in the film as were the rest of the ensemble cast, the star in the film was Louise Fletcher. She played the coldest and most awful nurse in the history of film. Her tough performance truly made the film. Otherwise, if she hadn't been so utterly devoid of humanity, the film just wouldn't have worked. Oddly, the film's producers had a hard time accepting her for the job--and she was the last one cast in the film.

Exceptional in every way--the writing, acting and direction. The only reservation I have regards the misuse of the film by anti-psychiatry groups. However, I am glad the film was made as the abuses of the industry need to be understood and not forgotten.

One of my best

Author: serhat derenoglu (serhatderenoglu@gmail.com) from Turkey
2 June 2015

As Jiddu Krishnamurti said; "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

In my humble opinion 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' is an analogy of a brilliant, uncontrollable, free mind trapped in a sick society where being different is the deadliest sin. The society (insane asylum) orders you to conform and if you resist to conform you will be eliminated one way or another..

Although R.P. McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) cant win, at least he tries. "But I tried, didn't I? Goddamnit, at least I did that."

This is an extraordinarily brilliant and impressive film for all beautiful free minds.

No One Else Could've Been the Lead Except Nicholson

Author: Derek Swartz from United States
26 May 2015

*SPOILERS* "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." One did indeed. Starring in a role as though he was born for it, this prison film chronicles Randle McMurphy (Nicholson), an always-smiling maniac who helps his fellow inmates discover how life can really be lived within penitentiary walls. However, he also shows them life outside of it. He has the time of his life before meeting his fatal demise.

Randle is sent to the prison on multiple charges but soon lives life against the rules and getting others to do so with him. He both breaks out of the prison and creates a riot in it. He is extremely crazy but Nicholson plays the role seemingly without acting at all. He performs the part with such ease that it is believable to think that he is McMurphy.

In my opinion, these are some of the standout scenes that make this film truly great. Randle and the Chief sitting on the bench chewing Juicy Fruit is priceless. The scene in which Randle finds out that all of his fellow inmates are at the prison due to their own will is mesmerizing. The near-end scene in which Chief smothers the lobotomized Randle is purely sad. And finally, the scene in which Chief escapes by throwing that sink through the window gives even the viewer a sense of freedom.

The film is enticing from beginning to end. It is an emotional joyride that will truly make you feel for its characters. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" would not be complete without Nicholson and its supporting cast, and is one of the greatest prison movies of all time.

2015

Author: muro-imp
20 May 2015

The film is very violent. Effect on the psyche and Jack Nicholson simply delicious!!!!!!!!!!!10/10 Picture - primarily benefit the actors and their game - deservedly received the highest critical acclaim. First of all, it should be noted mastery of actors who have played major roles. Vincent Canby called the game of Jack Nicholson's "brilliant", noting that the actor while not quite pulls the blanket, giving colleagues on stage opportunity. Oliver Parker said about Nicholson's character as one of the best "real" characters in the history of cinema, comparing it with Marlon Brando in 'Streetcar' Desire ''

Great Movie!

Author: lmadigan-31175 from United States
8 May 2015

I love this movie. I really liked the book too. In my opinion, the movie did a good job sticking to the content of the book. In some cases, they even use direct quotes. The actors did a superb job of portraying the characters who are all in a mental institution. Jack Nicolson is especially good as the lead character.I am a Psychology major so, I guess I could be biased toward a movie and book that take a look at the mental health care system and point out what is wrong with it. I will say that some of the content could be disturbing to those who have not read the book or are not familiar with mental illness. I feel that the movie can be enjoyed by everyone. It is funny, heartwarming, thought provoking, and has its serious moments. I would recommend this movie to anyone who has read the book, has an interest in the mental health field, or who is in the mood to laugh, cry, and think.

"Crazy" Good

Author: Chris Kuhn from United States
21 April 2015

I heard nothing but good things about this movie and I finally understand why. Absolutely PERFECT!! Jack is flawless as per usual and I enjoyed the supporting roles of A-list actors such as Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd. The film flows in such a way that it seems to submerse you in the mental institution portrayed in the film and at certain points makes you feel a little "nuts" yourself. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the film has very little or perhaps no musical score at all from what I was able to tell. I especially like movies with no score because it makes you pay attention and listen to the dialog even more in my opinion. Overall, I recommend this movie to absolutely anyone. Definitely worthy of the countless "10 out of 10" reviews.

A masterpiece both uplifting and disheartening

Author: Brian Berta from United States
17 April 2015

This is a very interesting and creative movie with emotion and power. It's about a man named Randle McMurphy who goes to a mental institution. Then it shows his many battles with Nurse Ratched. Nurse Ratched is an obstructionist and nasty character who everyone in the institution hates. Her attitude annoys people greatly even though she barely shows any emotion. Louise Fletcher did a great performance but Jack Nicholson is the one who steals the show. In my opinion, his acting was perfect. He was perfect in timing and character perception. The cinematography was excellent and the haunting score is also equally amazing. The ending takes a dramatic turn making it highly tragic but it shows a great deal of power and emotion and that is what makes it so great as a film. 4 decades later, it still holds up great and it's just as entertaining and moving as it was back in 1975. This is one of the 3 movies in history to receive all 5 top Oscars (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Screenplay). This is also the most deserving film to receive those awards.