IMDb > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Page 5 of 80: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

(In)sane

Author: Artur Machado from Portugal
4 September 2017

Excellent drama with some comedy. All the actors are phenomenal in their interpretations, without any flaws! McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) claims insanity to not go to jail and is admitted to a psychiatric hospital. His vivacity and nonconformity spread to the ward's other patients, who are under the supervision of the oppressive and manipulative nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher). The conflict of mentalities becomes inevitable, because the nurse does not admit even 'the middle ground' nor a small concession such as letting the patients see a baseball game. As the days pass, the conflict begins to escalate, and in the end, of course, reaches dramatic proportions.

This film can be analyzed by several prisms: literally for what it is, a beautiful and dramatic story very plausible and that could very well happen in reality, demonstrating well that the abuse of power is never beneficial however well intentioned. Looking more deeply, it is also one of the best allegories on the subject 'individual vs system', demonstrating that however noble the individual is in his intentions, mind and soul, always ends up under the yoke of the tyranny of the system. And it is clear that the system (whatever it is) is always run by despots who are often unaware of it (that they are tyrants), an inevitability of any hierarchical structure. A movie for the ages to appreciate and ponder on.

Recommended

Author: Ashwini Kumar from India
19 August 2017

That was a great movie of all the time. Their story was perfect and nicely performed. All played an excellent role.I start crying at the scene that a healthy man converted into insane one. I liked the very last scene when Indian follows the same scene that his friend imagined. It takes me to land on their own. Thanks to IMDb and their users. Thanks a lot!

Mind blowing reality check

Author: laneylixxdixhost from Pensacola, Florida
24 June 2017

I was left speechless at the end of this intense thrill ride through the eyes of the "mentally challenged". Inside the walls of a hospital, this story plays out through very multi-dimensional characters you just can't help, but to love. But the ending... Let's just say, probably top 2 best movies of my entire life. Left me soul-searching.

Finally have seen it the third time!

Author: Renlei from Hunan, China
14 June 2017

The bad nurse who treats the mentally unstable without humanity was existing in reality. Not only the doctors or nurses in hospital, but also everyone within our society should show some mercy to the unfortunate people sometimes. People are very confusing when facing to themselves. We need to give each others some courage to go along life.

A marvel of contemporary filmmaking!!!

Author: Laurent Foucher (Laurent_Foucher) from France
8 May 2017

This film is one of the classic movies of the 1970s, thanks in no small measure to the talents of director Milos Forman. It was Nicholson's first Oscar win and this remains, in many ways, his signature performance. I enjoyed the picture because it is an action romance, worked out in wonderfully inventive detail and presented with mesmeric immediacy by one of the screen's most resourceful directors.

utter crap compared to the book

Author: cellocolin
28 February 2017

Misses the point on virtually everything from Kesey's masterpiece, casting decisions are awful (Jack Nicholson is completely 1 dimensional), sluggishly boring attempt at redoing a book that will never work as a good movie.

This amateurishly simple movie turns One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest from an exploration on the nature of the mind & sanity into just a loudmouth guy goofing off in a hospital. v bad

My personal all-time favorite movie.

Author: Cijfer
23 February 2017

If you haven't already seen this movie, I would HIGHLY suggest that you do. When I first watched this movie, it grabbed my attention from the very first shot of the car slowly approaching into frame to the very last with Chief running to freedom. As soon as it introduces the group of patients playing cards together you instantly fall in love with them, with the amount of charisma and chemistry they have between them, it makes it hard not too. The first and second act of the movie was so uplifting and just puts a smile on your face the entire time your watching. But once the third act starts, it has completely different feel. It goes from uplifting, light-hearted, and fun. To tragic, hostile, and gains an air of melancholy around it. But this movie portrays both styles so well and puts them together so effortlessly, that it becomes that more effective when viewing. If you ever do watch this movie, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Great gem that never gets old

Author: shotgun12810 from Canada
2 August 2016

This is one of the few movies that hasn't and will never age with time. An all time classic. Jack Nicholson is stellar as always but in this role in particular, he just knocks it out of the park.You can recognize some early faces of major celebrities such as Christopher Lloyd and Danny Devito. I've heard that the movie differs from the book but knowing the changes I think it still works. I don't really care about the Oscars but thank god this one got recognized back then, it would have been a crime to not prize this movie. Another thing I can say about this movie is it's subtlety. The main character isn't exactly an hero and the "antagonist" can't quite be categorized as a villain. It's up to your interpretation. I thought that was a nice to this masterpiece.

No words

Author: CriticGirl91 from India
18 April 2016

This is the one of those movie I want to write about and forget. Not because it is a bad film bit because it is painfully beautiful. And whenever I think about this story, something inside me shivers.

I have nothing much to add to the above review except the ten stars that it deserves in its total. I can only say that this is a film that is above and beyond an excellent script, rich performances and a beautiful narrative. The film is soul by itself. One that connects with you and stays with you. It's not simply to be watched but to be experienced.

I watches this film as a student of psychology as this film is frequently mentioned across psychology books. It does provide deep insight into the real world application of psychiatric systems. It is an eye opener. This film can actually be converted to a compulsory exercise to arouse empathy in students, and why students but in people across the globe. If this film can't arouse your emotions, nothing can.

One of the greatest of all time

Author: Hussain Alkhaja from United States
14 November 2015

One of the best movies of all time. I've never seen so many well played characters in just a one movie. Each actor did more than a great job. I did not doubt that any of these isn't a crazy person! not for a SINGLE moment!

Jack Nicholson's performance was something else. Definitely deserved his Oscar achievement!

Louise Fletcher's performance was as great and spectacular as Jack's! I'm absolutely going to watch more movies of her after seeing this performance from her!

The worst thing of this great movie is the ending. I really hoped to have a more detailed ending than seeing Murphy die like that! I would have loved to see more scenes of him struggling with the Docs and trying to defend him self. Five of six minutes of that can never hurt nobody, i guess! but that ending isn't a bad one at all, actually, it was a very good one!