IMDb > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Page 20 of 80: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

Analizing the movie

Author: jc_yoshi_06 from United States
26 November 2007

Many people who want to cheat the system fail in succeeding, for example Randal Mc Murphy, from the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest", tries to pass as a mentally ill patient but only ends with his death. As many movies have symbols that a reader can connect to, moral values are shown to make a movie meaningful ass well the movie can also have two characters which personalities stand out, and show a theme embraced by the actors, thus, creating a classic that will be shown to future generations for its values shown in the movie. From birth many parents teach their children moral values: Do not steal, no profanity, and always tell the truth, these are a few examples that can be used and remembered into shaping child's mind, later on creating a good citizen. As well as the opposite, some may not have had the chance to have a parental figure in their life so they can grow up emotionless and can end up a psychotic killer or a murderer(like Mc Murphy). In the movie, Mc Murphy lies his way through life and throughout his jail sentence and the mental ward showing how he only thinks about himself and always tries to beat the judicial system. As the lies continue to spread, Mc Murphy also manipulates the other patients and takes away their "treats" a manipulation that Nurse Ratched observes. Throughout the movie his behavior changes slightly as he shares the happiness of being free with his fellow friends from the mental ward. As moral values have been lost for Mc Murphy, the nurse Ratched has built a mental ward from values that create a friendly atmosphere and a place where communication is widely accepted. Nurse Ratched is the type of person who believes that all people are good or have good in them, and if they are mislead by vices or bad habits she can help them to a better path. As a nurturer, she takes care and lookouts for all the patients in the ward, even Mc Murphy. In the movie Nurse Ratched is viewed as the supreme authority, a figure that Mc Murphy is attracted to but at the same time despises a figure that Mc Murphy always tries to cheat and lie to. Mc Murphy can be viewed as the common thief, one who breaks all the rules, a rebel, a person who defies the authority and at the same time tries to cheat the justice system. A type of person who always looks for the easy way out, a person who through his behavior makes him always ends up with conflict with the authorities; he is also, in my opinion, a person who many people want to be but have a fear of being that person. Due to moral values and how society views these "rebels" the type of behavior Mc Murphy shows is repressed in us. His behavior makes him have an assault-battery-rape convict that makes him find an alternate choice to finishing his jail sentence. His behavior then changes to a caring friend, a friend who the whole ward admires, an admiration that made the Chief (the mute) talk. With these new friendships he puts all his attention on the Chief; he is the only person that understands Mc Murphy and also wants to be free from the ward, the medicine, and especially the other patients. The theme is based on how cheating the system can never happen without worse consequences happening. An act that punishes the person who tries to beat or cheat the system, for example, Mc Murphy, his jail sentence was actually made longer because his stay in the mental ward would be for life. As he finally understood how his plan fell apart he did not use his judgment but instead went on an impulse to flee from the ward. A thought that Mc Murphy could not stand, a thought that made him make foolish decisions to jeopardize his plan of escape. As time comes and goes, the moral values that have been shown throughout the movie will forever stay with me. The lesson learned here can make me choose between learning from Mc Murphy's mistake or learning the hard way and ending up dead from the foolish choice of trying to beat the system. The characters created an environment that in an odd way I related to them by showing how Mc Murphy is part of me that is trapped inside held by a conscience and high moral values that were thought to me.

over all critique of the movie!

Author: shahmeer khan from United States
26 November 2007

I have seen many movies in my life, and have many favorites while others are less enjoyable. Some movies are made purely for entertainment, and some actually send out messages. In the movie, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the main character, Randal Patrick McMurphy, does enough in the movie that could be taken as a lesson.

In the beginning of the movie, Randal starts out in jail for his assault-batter-rape sentence, where he is required to work in the prison farm. After spending a while on his term, he becomes tired of working there, and decides to make people believe he has a mental illness. He is sent to a psychiatric center where he thinks he will remain comfortable, and makes many friends, while serving his term. While no one's allowed to leave the center, he takes all of his newly acquired friends and decides to go out for an enjoyable day fishing. Due to his actions, he was judged by the head of the center and prison. The head nurse, Mildred Ratched, convinces others to let him stay and have McMurphy stay to get therapeutic aid, only because after a few weeks of being evaluated, he was caught as the center knew he was pretending to be ill. McMurphy changes the atmosphere of the center only to realize that he was better off at the prison farm. Every time McMurphy messes up, he goes through the pain of electro shock therapy. From all of his friends there was one, The Chief, who gained his trust and respect since he too was fooling the staff. Later on, when McMurphy decided to break out of the center, he threw a party, where all the patients were drinking and doing everything they were not suppose to. The next morning one of the patient was found in bed with a woman, and from the fear from his mother finding out, he committed suicide. when McMurphy learned about the incident, he attempted to kill nurse Ratched by choking her. He was taken to the shock therapy room, where he had gone through so much pain, he had turned into a human vegetable, and his body was dragged back to his room. Chief could not witness him in his current state, he believed McMurphy had no choice, and it was to reduce his suffering and was better this way so he covered his face with a pillow and killed him, because he believed McMurphy . Chief then used McMurphy's idea to escape the center, that both had decided to do together.

McMurphy was better off at the prison, then at the center, where his lie had taken his life. McMurphy's plan was great, his down fall was, that he slacked off to much. He wanted to have fun, before getting out, which cost him his life.Chief played his cards right, and no one suspected a thing from him, and he got away with it. It is better to go through and serve the time for your guilt, then try to get out of it through a lie. McMurphy lost everything while trying to beat the system, but the system beat him. No matter what in the end, a person will still go through punishment one way or another.

One of the best movies i've seen :)

Author: aorta from United States
26 November 2007

In One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Randall Patrick McMurphy, is sentenced to a short prison term for statutory rape. Believing he has found a way to cheat the system McMurphy feigns insanity in order to be transferred to a mental institution. Here, he expects to spend the rest of his sentence in relative comfort far away from the work farm he was sentenced to. Instead, McMurphy willingly signs his life away to what he has been fighting against his entire life, established authority. McMurphy's open defiance against authority, in this case head nurse Ratched, becomes a vicious self destructive cycle.McMurphy's condescending attitude towards the ward's policies attracts negative attention and only inspires nurse Ratched to "help him". This help would eventually lead to his lobotomy, thus killing his fighting spirit.

The chief of the tribe

Author: SakowskyBrothers from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
30 August 2007

This movie is one of the most remarkable movies to ever be made. Spectacular performances by Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Danny DeVito, and basically just every single person in the cast. This was probably the greatest cast for a movie ever assembled in terms of work the actors needed to perform in order to make the movie truly believable. The difficulty of creating such a variant cast gave the movie its perfection.

The last ten minutes of the film were true triumph. I won't go so far to say that it was the best ending of all time but it sure did have a very nice finishing touch. The movie assembled a good view of the 1950s medical scene with a twist of character and plot to give it Hollywood appeal.

Lobotomy was a very serious procedure which had became barbaric later after the introduction of Thorazine in the late 50s. The procedure itself had attained a poor reputation and eventually had ceased by the early 70s basically during the same time as the release of this movie in 1975. This movie didn't necessarily push the abandoning of the procedure but rather sported as a great piece of cinema and history of the medical society.

Enough of the history facts though, I must get back to saying how spectacular the acting was. Jack Nicholsons best performance ever to say the least puts the butter back in the popcorn only to shine strong with the power the film has conveyed. Not only was it Jack Nicholsons best it was also Milos Forman best directorial performance who's known for other well known movies like Man on the Moon, Amadeus, The People vs Larry Flynt.

In end this film has become the chief in our little tribe of a landmark films and nothing more can be said other then it was a unforgettable classic.

An ultimately powerful, tragic, and terrific movie.

Author: filmviewer64 from United States
14 August 2007

I will not hesitate in saying that "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is one of the most powerful and emotionally provoking movies in existence. It is something that truly cannot be ignored. While I will am sure that I have not even come close to seeing all of the great movies in existence, as of right now "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is indeed one of the most entertaining, moving, and brilliant movies that I have ever seen.

In the beginning of this movie we are given an outside view of the mental hospital that will serve as the main setting of the movie. After the introductory credits we are give a look inside the hospital, and we are then introduced to a whole new community, the patients in the ward. Soon after we are given an introduction to the character that will truly start off the entire movie, Randall Patrick McMurphy.

Jack Nicholsons performance as McMurphy is without a doubt not only one of Nicholsons greatest performances, but one of the greatest performances of all time. McMurphy is a fairly sane criminal in the movie who is jailed for charges of assault and statutory rape. Pleading insanity, McMurphy hopes to serve out his jail sentence with comfort inside of a mental ward. What Nicholson brings to McMurphy is the ultimate anti-authority character, with a sly pranksters sense and someone who will try to change the environment around him, probably by causing trouble. What is McMurphy trying to change and rebel against? It all lies within the mental hospital.

Inside the mental hospital resides a slew of mental patients, headed by the ever-controlling Nurse Ratched. Here lies even more great performances, particularly the one of Nurse Ratched, who is played by Louise Fletcher. She is a woman who enjoys being in control, mainly because she believes that what she does is what is best for her patients. Mentioning the patients, they are among the most memorable characters in cinema history. Whether it be the stuttering Billy Bibbit(portrayed by Brad Dourif) or the seemingly intelligent Harding (played by William Redfield), each of the patients that the movie focuses on are wonderfully crafted by the actors who portray them.

Among these patients McMurphy tries to stir a rebellion against the dominating Nurse Ratched, though that is where I will stop in my description of the movie. I will say, though, that this movie shows just how important acting is in the movie, and this movie features some of the best.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is one of the most compelling, shocking, and perhaps tragic movies that I have ever seen, and, to top it off, one of the greatest.

One of the Last Anti-Establishment Films of the 1970s

Author: evanston_dad from United States
8 August 2007

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is about the triumph of the human spirit, but it's depressing as hell.

Jack Nicholson gave the last of his great performances before he started playing parodies of himself, and Louise Fletcher plays one of the screen's greatest villains, the only role this forgotten actress was really ever known for. Their battle of wills in a mental institution symbolizes the battle of humanity against oppressive authoritarianism, and if Nicholson's character happens to lose this particular battle, the movie implies, humanity is determined to win the war.

Looked at now in historical context, this film was one of the last gasps of anti-establishment film making. Vietnam was ending, American political corruption was starting to fade into memory, and the boom years of the 1980s were not far away. "Cuckoo's Nest" stands as one of the supreme examples of what made 1970s film making great.

Grade: A+

This is one cuckoo's nest you're going to want to take the time to visit.

Author: johnnyboyz from Hampshire, England
7 August 2007

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is not just a good film for fun and entertainment; for people watching it for its funny script and great Nicholson performance, but it's also a great film as it contains numerous clever conventions and tricks that really help you zone in on the situation and ultimately, put you there in the film with everyone else.

Although set in a mental institution, I never really got the feeling the bulk of these people were, indeed, 'crazy'. The group that we are presented with seemed fine, just a little socially inept perhaps apart from the character of Martini (De Vito) whom was a little odd. I first had this suspicion when I saw them all playing cards with one another to reasonable success although McMurphy's (Nicholson) expertise in card playing later on only emphasises the incorrectness from earlier on. Martini's so pleased to be finally playing cards correctly that he just keeps exclaiming: hit me, hit me, hit me. This idea of having a comic and often dramatic film set inside one of these places makes for pure gold.

This brings me onto the character of McMurphy. Obviously the audience watching this film aren't as crazy and (hopefully) aren't as socially inept as the characters we focus on in this film so that means we're going to relate to him the most as he's the most like us although some may swerve more to Billy (Dourif). Although brilliantly acted by Nicholson, he is further emphasised through the fact he's not wearing plain white like the rest of the inmates, meaning he stands out. McMurphy's reactions to what was going on, especially during the group therapy sessions, also stood out as they were pretty much my reactions also! I was smirking and looking confused at what was happening; McMurphy even gets restless with these people, something we all would feel after a while in that situation.

Also, watching McMurphy's relationship and friendship build up with the character of the Chief (Sampson) is just as fun as it is fascinating. There's this huge, native American who's supposedly dumb and deaf yet McMurphy gives him all the time in the world to try and develop him. The basketball game scene is particularly memorable in its hilarity and the way in which it shows Chief engaging and succeeding in what it is he's been told to do. Remember: we think he's dumb and deaf.

Another piece of clever film-making is the Chief himself. In a way, I think the Chief is perhaps supposed to represent the audience in the sense that if the audience was a character, they'd be the Chief. He doesn't talk or do much (similar to what an audience does when they watch a film), he helps McMurphy out when he gets involved in a fight with a guard (Whilst I was watching, was praying someone intervened and it just happened to be Chief) and we even see things from his point of view (the only time it happens in the film) as McMurphy winks at him to show he's OK. So this is very much putting the audience in the film as one of the characters; of course this is played with later on when certain things are revealed and regarding whether or not people escape: I find it very symbolic who does and who doesn't.

In conclusion, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is just one of those films that is funny, engaging, entertaining and is actually a very smart film considering what I think it does regarding all the characters and everything. This twinned with the character of Nurse Ratched (Fletcher) who I stress isn't so much as evil as she is doing her job, still looms every now and again threatening privileges. I am not surprised this film won so many Oscar's as it would still do today – a great and very memorable film.

Intriguing, brilliant and funny- why this film is one of the greatest cinematic achievements

Author: Alex da Silva from United Kingdom
26 July 2007

Nichilson gives it his all, in this hard hitting, gripping emotional drama set within a mental institute. Winner of 5 academy awards- Best actor in a leading role, Best actress in a leading role, Best Director, Best picture and Best screenplay. And this has only ever been achieved twice. The other being The Silence Of The Lambs in 1991. After reading some reviews on the internet about this much acclaimed film, i sat down with my three brothers and watched one of the greatest films in living film memory. After watching the film i couldn't believe how great and sad it was, funny and compelling in all ways. And i could definitely understand why people cried, because it is emotional. The characters who do have mental disabilities all make you understand how hard and frustrating it is.

The end was very very sad and hard hitting. Milos Forman has done an exceptional job in creating the atmosphere and situations the people in the film face.

To summarise my view, One flew over the Cuckoos nest is stupendous and brilliant, cunning and sad, funny and clever. This can't be mist by anyone.

You all crazy?

Author: radu_ancuta from Romania
1 July 2007

This film was a total surprise for me as I became more reserved with much applauded older movies (like Citizen Kane and Zorba the Greek) which did not really live up to the expectation.

The acting of Jack N. is absolutely superb; the story unfolds slowly and builds up the necessary tension until the last minute. The continuous blending of the crazy and normal worlds is so well done that in the end I was no longer sure which was which. This is a serious drama but every now and then there are genuine hilarious moments, of which a few are simply brilliant.

It's a film worth re-watching periodically. For me it means an opportunity to reflect on our "normal" society/lives and fight prejudice of any kind.

Nnnnot as good as the book

Author: diordna from United Kingdom
22 June 2007

There are a fair few people who commented on this film that don't understand the ending. This is understandable, as when you watch the film the only conclusion you can make is that the chief is putting McMurphy out of his misery. This is not the intention I perceived the book to mean, but this is a review of the film.

In all, this is a rather empty film. There isn't a lot of subtle change in the characters, which is a shame, as the more obvious changes leave the audience feeling confused (due to the lack of noticeable time lapse). This film also leaves questions unanswered, such as McMurphy's initial bet that he could break the big nurse within a week, and the doctor's love of fishing. There was also too much concentration on the board group, who really didn't do anything, and not enough development put into the Chief, the narrator of the whole story (originally).

The character of Billy was the only emotional input into the film and maybe Harding's anger. The directors choice of condensing the story so a number of major events happen at once was questionable, but it worked well overall.

My advice is not to judge the story based on the film. It really doesn't do the book justice and I recommend it to everyone.