IMDb > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Page 15 of 77: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

You'd be nuts to not consider this one of the best films ever made.

Author: Joshua Warren from Norway
11 October 2009

What can I say it's a masterpiece. It's both funny and it strikes a vital point. As a matter of fact I don't really know how to explain the greatness of this film. i guess the main question is; how do you define insanity? And do we have the right to pretend we're any better? Or for that sake how can we claim to be able to cure mental disease when we have no clue how the brain works.

The movie starts with a minor criminal McMurphy (Jack Nicholsen) who pretends to be insane to avoid prison. But as he observes the patients, who by the way becomes his friends, he starts feeling sorry for them, and questioning the doctors means for "healing" them. Nurse Ratchet (Louise Fletcher), the woman who is supposed to help them, seem to stir up more problems than she fixes them. So he decides to rebel against the doctors and learn the patient how it is to live again and have some fun. Now to prevent myself from spoiling any of this movie I'll stop here.

Now of course Jack Nicholsen is not the only who should get credit for this movie, although he's performance is great. Christopher Lloyd as Taber and this film also introduces Brad Dourif in his first film role as Billy Bibbit. And the one character that holds this film together is Will Sampson as Chief the mute and deaf native American who is more than everyone suspects. i must say he was my favourite in this film.

So what is my verdict from this film, 10/10 of course. This film is brilliant, I can't recommend this film enough, go out and rent it, buy it or whatever, this movie is a must see for everyone.

An Absolute Masterpiece

Author: matus92 from Canada
7 September 2009

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is without doubt one of the best films ever made. The acting, the direction and the script are all top-notch making for an extremely enjoyable film.

This film features one of the best casts in cinematic history with Jack Nicholson, Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, Louise Fletcher, Will Sampson and Vincent Schiavelli; needless to say, all of their performances are fantastic. The story is captivating and there are plenty of emotional moments.

The movie likes to play with emotions a lot, which is part of why it so great. One moment you're laughing your ass off, and the next scene you are sitting on the edge of your seat in tension. Not many films/directors can do that.

All in all, everybody should see this movie because it is just.... well, good. You'll enjoy it throughout and then you will be blown away by the ending (one of the best endings ever, in my opinion).

Among only three films (the others being Pulp Fiction and Taxi Driver) that have satisfied both my entertainment-seeking and art-admiring desires enough to deserve a 10/10.

Urge for freedom

Author: Petri Pelkonen ( from Finland
2 September 2009

Randle Patrick Mcmurphy, who is serving a short sentence on a prison farm for statutory rape, is transferred to a mental institution.He doesn't get along with the tyrant-like nurse Ratchet.He knows he wants to get out of that place, to be free.He gets the other patients excited, as well.He befriends with a big Indian, who doesn't speak.Maybe he is his way to freedom.This is a great drama, that also has a lot of humor in it.DeVito's character is someone who brings a smile on your face.And when they go fishing on a boat after McMurphy (Nicholson) steals the bus.Many of the actors got actually seasick.The party scene, that brings a lot of trouble to Crother's character is a lot of laughs.And then the drama.The group session scenes are full of drama.Like when Bibbitt (Dourif) talks about his troubles.Or after the party, when he takes his own life because the nurse from hell threats to talk to his mother about him sleeping with that girl.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is directed by the Czech born director Milos Forman.The movie came from the novel (1962) by Ken Kesey, which I haven't read.Then there was a play version, and finally the movie came.The casting is perfect.Jack Nicholson does the role of the lifetime in the lead.Louise Fletcher, a perfect choice to play nurse Mildred "Big Nurse" Ratched.She represents the evil in the movie, but she doesn't see she's doing anything wrong.Will Sampson is huge and really great as Chief Bromden.We can thank Mel Lambert, who plays Harbor Master, for finding Will.His father happened to be an Indian agent.Dean R. Brooks, who plays Dr. John Spivey, was at the time the actual head of the Oregon State Hospital.Harding is playd by the amazing William Redfield.A tragic thing about this actor.He was diagnosed with leukemia during shooting by Dr. Brooks.He told he'd have about 18 months to live, and about 18 months later he died.Yet he stayed in the picture until the very end.The marvelous Scatman Crothers portrays Turkle the janitor.He got the part with the help from his friend, Jack Nicholson.The music done by Jack Nitzche is really beautiful and haunting.There was a musical saw and crystal glass involved.I've seen the movie a couple of times in the past.Now I saw it on DVD, where you could also listen to the commentary track by director Forman and producers Michael Douglas and Saul Zaentz.Michael's father Kirk Douglas, who was in the play actually possessed the movie rights for a long time before his son started the project.This is a true masterpiece that works on so many levels.In the movie we have this R.P. McMurphy, who plants the seed in these other patients, the seed of freedom.He is free, in the end, he has lobotomy done to him, but he's freed by the Chief, who suffocates him with the pillow and says: Let's go.

Thought provoking, disturbing and entertaining

Author: John Schofield from England
28 July 2009

This film could be shown in another 35 years time and I would still regard it as timeless. To me the whole atmosphere in the institution is depressing and the expression I could use to describe it is the line 'waiting for god'. Every time you think that the regime might take a hit whereby some beneficial change might come along the doors close and almost absorb the positivity. There are some wonderfully funny scenes and some really sad ones. The whole is a roller-coaster of emotions but with the one umbrella like feeling pervading the film which is one of no hope. No one person is going to rock the boat for any length of time therefore the inmates eventually die after having had no reasonable quality of life. However I would recommend that anybody watch it because it is a very good film and like a lot of other good films it makes you think.

What a story!

Author: bay6 from India
30 May 2009

I've never been moved more before watching any other movie as much I was by this one. I somehow felt this movie is above Shawshank Redemption. It's not just the story. You have to watch this movie to know what this man, Jack Nicholson is capable of. You won't forget McMurphy after this. And the performance of Nurse Ratched brings you to a point when McMurphy does what you yourself would have wanted to do too.

I felt that was the biggest realization watching the movie.

I recommend this one without the slightest doubt that you would feel exactly the way I felt.

Brilliant Movie And Performance

Author: CandidlyCandid ( from uk
26 March 2009

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is quite possibly one of the best movies ever made due to its stunning, emotionally catching performance by Jack Nicholson and excellent directing by one Milos Forman. Apart from those two strong contenders, the movie is backed-up by a fantastic supporting cast, who all played their role to perfection. Can you ask for anything better? Great directory, great acting, oh yea, lets add on; great ending. Surely One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest has one of the most memorable endings in film history, its truly touching and emotional. All around, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is surely one of the finest movies ever made (Easily the best of the 70s), and without a doubt deserved all the five Oscars they won. A stand-out that won't be forgotten, never.

amazing film!

Author: andy-rocker from United Kingdom
24 January 2009

When i saw this film it actually amazed me. It wasn't just a film of one genre but encompassed many emotions and different film genres. It had moments of laugh out loud humor and intense, serious moments. The acting was impeccable and i can see why it won 5 academy awards. A film that can move you in so many different forms and emotions has got to be an excellent film.

You came away from the film feeling changed in a way. The ending is pretty sad yet it starts of humorous and you feel genuine hatred towards the nurse yet also sympathy. In fact you have contrasting emotions for many of the characters.

An intelligent perspective of chaos, order, institutionalisation ,and freedom...

Author: Varun B. ( from Trinidad and Tobago
20 October 2008

There's a good reason why this film ranks so high on IMDb's top 250 (as I am writing this, it is comfortably in the top 10): this movie appeals to a wide range of audiences without seeming pretentious or over-the-top (save perhaps for one scene which I will not discuss here for the sake of the potential viewer).

Deservedly, one of the few films to sweep the 'Big 5' awards at the Oscars, namely Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Nicholson), Best Actress, and Best Screenplay (Adapted). The film itself is worthy of all the accolades won; it sends the viewer on an immensely gripping psychological ride, with one of the best and most widely discussed endings you are likely to see in a Motion Picture. This was in fact, the very film that catapulted the legendary Milos Forman to stardom (he would later follow this up with the highly successful AMADEUS). The direction is simply superb as is the writing, and it is evident that Forman knew exactly what he wanted from the offset.

Jack Nicholson wins his first Oscar in one of the best roles ever portrayed on film. The viewer will constantly question his state of mind relative to the other patients, and to the persons who society deem as 'mentally fit'. It is worth noting that Nicholson was only Forman's third choice for the lead role, after Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando. Maybe the Fates conspired that Nicholson would eventually get the nod, as it is now difficult to imagine either of the aforementioned topping Nicholson's performance.

Louise Fletcher is equally brilliant, and the interaction and conflict between these two key personalities is one of the main selling points of this feature. The viewer will question intensely the ultimate motives of Fletcher's character, and this has made for one of the more interesting character studies of all time. Not to be forgotten is Brad Dourif who, in his debut performance, deservedly garnered an Oscar nomination. Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd also have small roles which they perform admirably well, but all this was before they really became famous. In fact, all the actors portraying patients do convincingly well in their portrayals of a wide variety of common mental illnesses, and the casting in this film was simply genius.

For the entire running time of ~125 minutes the viewer is captivated, leading up to, during, and well beyond the ending, which is not quite cathartic but will no doubt impinge upon cerebral impulses rather than visceral. Personally, just considering the first 100 minutes or so, I would have simply stated that the film was quite GOOD; it is the ultimate conclusion that propels this film from good to GREAT; perhaps one of the best of all time. This film,like many great ones, stays with the viewer long after the end credits begin to roll.

Arguably, the movie may not have aged well since many of the practices in the medical discipline of mental health have improved drastically since the late 70s. However, I find this does very little to upset or throw off the open-minded viewer.

I am not surprised by this film's inclusion in the Top 10 since, as stated earlier, it has a very wide appeal, not unlike THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. Honestly, this film should not be missed, even if you have to watch it on one of the classic networks with commercials and censorship (Heaven forbid!).

This film warrants 4 stars (out of 4). 9/10. Highly recommended. Should just about enter my top 100 at 99 or so.

Funny but still touching movie about how raw Human race can be.

Author: viktor-borlin from Sweden
20 October 2008

I've seen a lot of movies. And by a lot I mean A lot. Never have I felt like i did when watching One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Kind of late commenting it now but this movie is one of a kind. I am a big fan of Sci-fi, Star Wars, The Matrix etc. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest Is the best movie EVER made. If you haven't seen you probably know something about it. When you start watch you understand from the beginning that this movie ain't going to have a "happy" ending. I laugh when jokes are made but i also feel sad because I can guess from what i've heard and by what I see what's going to happen. And finally it does.

Don't just walk around and think for yourself that someday, someday I am going to take the time and watch it. Just do IT, NOW! I wont write about the story, you either find it out by yourself or just don't mind knowing. You just don't need to know.

//Viktor from Sweden

"This is a dime...when you break it in half, you don't get 2 get sh*t"

Author: Bozo
24 February 2008

This is a very unforgettable movie. THe story of some mental patients at in institution in the 50's. Sounds awfully simple, but let me tell you it is much more than that. Jack Nicholson gives what I consider his best performance ever as Randle Patrick McMurphy, the most rebellious, independent thinking patient ever seen. All of the characters were excellent and unforgettable, and wonderfully played. Not a single actor can be called out for any flaws. The whole movie you root for McMurphy to defeat Nurse Ratched, and in many parts he succeeds and further annoys her. Danny DeVito gives the high point of his career here also, before falling down the acting chain into lame comedies and dramas and whatnot. Brad Dourif gives his least evil performance I have ever seen as the young Billy Bibbit. Everything about this movie was great, no remake can ever compete with this cinematic art (and I never use terms like that unless I feel its 100% true). I give this a 10/10 and if you were smart, you'd watch this.