IMDb > The Land That Time Forgot (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Very Enjoyable Despite The Flaws

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
29 December 2005

When I was a young boy of eight years old I saw this at my my local cinema . In those days it cost 15 pence ( A fair amount of money for an eight year old child ) to get in . I actually saw it two or three times which eat up my pocket money bit I certainly thought it was money well spent since in those days I enjoyed war films and monster films . Yesterday morning Channel 4 broadcast it at 6 am which seems a ridiculous time to broadcast anything never mind a fondly remembered fantasy adventure movie but I looked forward to seeing it again if only to see how well it stands up as entertainment today . Would my cherished memories be hurt ? Do I have nice memories about THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT simply down to nostalgia ?

To be honest I think the answer is a resounding no . Right from the opening title sequence where Douglas Gamley's score sums up the downbeat feature of the story we the audience are treated to a fantasy adventure that is a little bit different . You could point out the first half of the movie is somewhat repetitive as the Germans and Brits get one over on one another but in amongst all this is some serious debate on wartime morality , allied civilian ships carrying weapons of war for example which shows no one has a monopoly on self righteousness when the battle lines are drawn and the theories of Nietzsche are also touched upon . What'd you mean this is a childish film ?

No doubt the people who watched this at the cinema on its release where more interested in prehistoric monsters than 19th century philosophy and it's not till half way through that the U-boat reaches the ancient island of Caprona which is inhabited by rubber dinosaurs and troglodytes . Yeah okay the monsters especially the pterodactyls are not very convincing but I've seen worse . It's also interesting to that this part of the movie replaces Nietzsche with Darwinisnm and I don't know if it's deliberate but this concept fits in perfectly well with the sequel THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT . How many times have you seen a sequel that almost contradicts the original movie ? This makes THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT something of a stand out movie alongside the very pessimistic final act

I fail to see how anyone can actively dislike this movie . I agree that the special effects are far from brilliant but look beyond the FX and you'll see a very intelligent piece of fantasy adventure . The very fact that it has a sense of wonder and a truly haunting ending sets it apart from many other movies of its ilk like WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS and AT THE EARTHS CORE and nostalgia or not I certainly enjoyed seeing it again

Sense of wonder is at home in Caprona

Author: unbrokenmetal from Hamburg, Germany
1 February 2003

I saw this movie as a kid in the late 70s at the cinema and loved those dinosaurs. I have now watched the restored version (91 min. instead of 78 min.) on DVD and still love those dinosaurs. There are few movies that I still enjoy as much as I did a quarter of a century ago, so this obviously must have something `classic' about it, though it's hard to put the finger on it. Maybe it's just the naïve charm that was lost when computer FX spoiled fun to a certain degree in Jurassic Park and later on. No actor is a candidate for the Academy Award here, the monsters look about as deadly as your daughter's puppets, but nonetheless – more sense of wonder in the forgotten land of Caprona than anywhere else.

Jurassic Lark

Author: Bishop-11 from UK
26 July 2000

Fun dinosaur movie with a solid British cast headed by suitably lantern-jawed Doug McClure.

Respected SF author Michael Moorcock adds a dash of intelligence to what might have been just another Sunday matinee pot-boiler, and the downbeat ending (slightly different to the book) is a change from the norm. The decision to turn the U-Boat captain from the stereotypical dastardly Hun in the original book to a philosophical man of science is also a good one.

The submarine is suitably claustrophobic and the jungle suitably clammy, just a shame that some of the dinosaurs couldn't have looked a little more than just as if they'd been borrowed from episode of "Doctor Who". Fans of which should be suitably impressed by future 'Master' Anthony Ainley's nasty performance as the treacherous German first officer Dietz.

"Auf weidersehn, Mr Tyler!"

Hang on. This is better than today's dinosaur films.

Author: G.Spider
18 June 1999

The survivors of a doomed World War 1 ship manage to board and take over the German submarine which sunk them. After a lot of disputing, the sub becomes lost and before long the enigmatic island of Caprona is sighted. Due to desperately low supplies the two crews, who call an uneasy truce, are forced to land the sub and find themselves in a world where prehistoric animals still live.

This is a well-made and highly entertaining film. Doug McClure makes a good hero and the other characters are also interesting and believable, the story is well-paced and the music is suitably atmospheric. The special effects are not always as good as they might be (the giant pterodactyl and the plesiosaur that gets shot at look decidedly fake). But the film is a classic and I certainly found it a lot more memorable and enjoyable than any of the recent dinosaur films.

A film we have forgot?

Author: Bifrostedflake from United Kingdom
7 May 2007

I first saw this film when I was a child, it had always stuck out in my mind and I was lucky enough to see it again recently.

Although the effects are not spectacular, they aren't terrible. In fact they are pretty good considering the era.

The characters are well written and likable, the dialogue is not over-complicated with technical terms but remains clever and enjoyable to follow.

A real empathy is established for the characters who find themselves in a seemingly fantastic but dangerous situation.

All in all I find the film enjoyable for anyone to watch and recommend it highly.

Great vision, god awful F/X

Author: The Ebullient One from terra
1 June 2002

This was actually a pretty good movie, capturing a sense of adventure and travel that's almost forgotten from modern story telling, what with all the political correctness and marketing hype we have today.

Edgar Rice Burrough's story is modernized somewhat for World War One, but still has that nineteenth century feel when people really believed they could find forgotten lands just off the map.

What almost kills it, however, is the sock puppet "dinosaurs" that were pretty poor even for 1975. (Someone should have placed a call in to Ray Harryhausen.) Despite the best efforts to create a vast world, the switches between real footage and fake backdrops or animated diroamas is jarring. This movie almost cries out for a George Lucas style redoing, since with modern CGI effects and the same story/character footage this could be a very presentable film.

great B-Movie

Author: mulveymeister from Ireland
21 February 2009

This has everything for a budding boy to enjoy. There's monsters, the struggle against evil, a submarine and the stunningly beautiful Susan Penhaligon. I was lucky enough to see this when it came out and it enthralled me. I still watch it on television when I can, with fond memories. It is not aging well. CFXs have left it looking quite poor in places. However, for a B-Movie it is very well done. The acting, storyline, direction and editing are all well controlled. I agree that a remake may be justified, as long as the inherent innocence of it all is not lost.

It is good family fun which will keep boys glued for an afternoon. And Susan is as beautiful as ever :-)

Fun monster film.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
11 March 2006

The Land that Time Forgot starts during World War 1 on June 3rd 1916 when a German U-Boat sinks a British passenger ship, a small group of survivors from the ship headed up by Bowen Tyler (Doug McClure, who was apparently a replacement for Stuart Whitman) & Captain Bradley (Keith Barron) storm the U-Boat when it surfaces & manage to capture it. The radio is damaged beyond repair & the compass has been sabotaged so they effectively travel blind, the British & Germans strike an uneasy truce & decide to work together. However they are running low on fresh water, food & fuel so when they reach the mythical land of Caprona they must stop to try & find supplies. Unfortunately for them it appears time has stood still on Caprona & they are confronted by various man-eating dinosaurs & primitive tribes of cavemen. Can they find a suitable fuel source for the boat? Will they survive attacks from the local wildlife & indigenous population? Can the Germans behave themselves for once & keep their word? Watch it to find out...

This British American co-production was directed by Kevin Connor & was the first of four 'lost world' type films made by Connor, the direct sequel to this The People that Time Forgot (1977) plus the two similar themed films At the Earth's Core (1976) & Warlords of Atlantis (1978). I must admit I like them all with Warlords of Atlantis probably being my overall favourite. The script by James Cawthorn & Michael Moorcrock is based on the novel of the same name by Edgar Rice Burroughs & certainly moves along at a fair pace, it's never boring or dull, it's entertaining & good fun if you like these type's of films. It starts out like a war film & it takes a good 30 odd minutes before it gets to Caprona, having said that the scenes on the boat are pretty good, tense & well done. It is a bit on the predictable side although the ending surprised me a bit as it's not a particularly happy one. The Land that Time Forgot is good, clean, fun monster filled entertainment, what more do you want?

Director Connor does a good job & the film has a nice feel to it, I don't think he knew how to shoot special effect scenes though. The monsters look pretty bad especially if they have to interact with an actor, just check the Pterodactyl out as it just glides through the air like a paper plane & doesn't flap it's wings once! Having said that I thought they looked alright for the most part & the filmmakers probably did the best they could on a low budget, at least they tried & you can't blame them for that.

Techncially the film is very good, some of the dodgy special effects excluded. The Spanish Canary Islands locations look nice, the cinematography is good, the production design is OK & as a whole it's generally well made. The acting is alright, Susan Penhaligon is the obligatory female love interest & she's cute enough I suppose.

The Land that Time Forgot is a good solid monster film that I think makes for great undemanding entertainment & that's what films are all about right? If you like the other similar films by Connor then you'll definitely like this but if you didn't then I'd stay away & watch something else instead.

Still a respectable B-budget adventure

Author: C.K. Dexter Haven from BC
2 August 2006

I loved this movie as a kid. Can't recall how many times I watched it on the late show in my early teens, but it was more than a few. I hadn't seen it since about 1982 and was pleased TCM ran it recently, so I recorded it and watched it last night.

The scenes came back to me by rote though I definitely needed the refresher after all these years. Seeing it now at 40, it of course has become a little more quaint in the wake of the Jurassic Park series, but it still held my interest as it WAS a very good effort in 1975 with limited resources at bringing to the screen an intelligent Sci/fi adventure with old fashioned heroics reminiscent of King Kong etc.

The script, though certainly not as good as it could have been, stays true to itself, and even though the SFX at times look primitive (they still kick the snot out of the FX in Logan's Run}, the story is poorly paced after the U-Boat reaches Caprona, and the Neanderthals and the obligatory volcanic eruption are more than forced, the film never becomes kitschy or laughable, or outright uninteresting like dozens of other films like this made on the cheap. My only wish is it would have been a bit longer and included more thoughtful dialogue about nature and evolution and survival to give the story and characters more depth. And Ray Harryhausen could have done much more with the dinosaurs in the technical department.

As far as leading men go, Doug McClure is good in this and will always get my sympathy as that likable, two fisted action star who had the misfortune of looking too much like Lee Marvin and sounding too much like Glenn Ford to ever get the kind of roles he deserved in bigger pictures. He was good in these Kevin Connor adventure flicks in the 70's, and is eternally one of my favorite actors as a result.

Lots of details about the U-Boat and what not are probably inaccurate, and the story itself is more than too similar to Verne's Mysterious Island with shades of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but overall, while I wouldn't call it great or even good, it is definitely worth a look and still a nifty little piece of entertainment for the budget it had. Surprising a remake hasn't appeared in this age of CGI. Could be a dandy. Are you listening, Peter Jackson?

Adventure yarn with some spectacular scenarios and pretty fierce monsters

Author: ma-cortes
10 July 2010

Fantastic and amusing adventures full of monsters in lost continent by Kevin Connor and based on a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs . At the beginning of the film , during World War I , a German submarine sinks a Brit boat and takes the survivors on board. The submarine takes them to the unknown land of Antartica called Caprona . At the sub are reunited the U-boat German captain (John McEnery) piloting his ship along with Owen Tyler (Doug McClure) and Lisa (Susan Penhaligon) , among others . The group takes a wrong turn and descend over a barren land and meet some primitive men , Neardentals and prehistoric animals . They have to deal with numerous risks, dangers, endure torrential landslide, shakesands, volcano, cavemen warriors, dinosaurs and discover a lost tribe .

This engaging adaptation is a special version of the Edgar Rice Burroughs adventure yarn . There are rip-roaring action, spirit of adventure, derring-do, thrills, and results to be quite entertaining. It's a brief fun with average special effects , passable set decoration , functional art direction and none use of computer generator. This fantasy picture packs thrills, action, weird monsters, lively pace and fantastic scenarios . The monsters are the real stars of this production and its chief attribute. The tale is silly and laughable but the effects and action are quite well. Among the most spectacular of its visuals there are a Pterodactilus roaring menacingly towards the camera, a little tableau comprising attack of a giant monsters and the colorful backgrounds of the lost land . Some monsters are clumsily made but movie is OK . Highlights of the adventure includes a roller-coaster trip towards unknown land in South America , and appearance of prehistoric reptile such as Pterodactilus, Stegosaurius, and Tiranosaurious . In addition the final scenes where appears breathtaking volcanic eruptions and thunderous explosions . Some illogical parts in the argument are more than compensated for the excitement provided by Roger Dicken's monsters, though sometimes are a little bit cheesy. Filmed in glimmer cinematography by Alan Hume on location in Santa Cruz De La Palma , Tenerife(Canary Islands) and Shepperton studios , Surrey England . Adequate and stirring musical score by Douglas Gamley. This one turns out to be an acceptable collaboration between producers Milton Subotsky , Max Rosemberg and director Kevin Connor who also made in similar style : ¨All the Earth's core(76)¨, ¨Warlord of Atlantis(1978)¨, mostly starred by Doug McClure and with Dicken as the monster-maker. It's followed by ¨People that time forgot¨ in which an expedition undergoing a trip in search for Tyler (Doug McClure) who has been missing in that region for many years . The film will appeal to kids who swallow whole and sit convulsed in their armchair.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]