IMDb > The Kansas City Massacre (1975) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Kansas City Massacre (TV) More at IMDbPro »

The Shadow correction

Author: lcalabraro from United States
4 February 2009

Correction on the Shadow being an incorrect inclusion to the episode.

According to my research the following should be noted to the person from France:

The Shadow debuted on July 31, 1930, as the mysterious narrator of the Street & Smith radio program Detective Story Hour.[3] After gaining popularity among the show's listeners, the narrator became the star of The Shadow Magazine on April 1, 1931; a pulp series created and primarily written by the prolific Gibson.

It then went on to fame and fortune in serials, movies, etc. for years to come. And it also included a stint by Orson Welles as "The Shadow". Many of his episodes are available on cassettes, records and CD's from many sources.

Worth kicking' back and watching

Author: mcquesten from France
19 October 2006

Entertaining gangster movie for those who strictly want entertainment. Accuracy and believability is another matter. I doubt seriously that Melvin Purvis was on such a personal friendly basis with Pretty Boy Floyd as depicted in this film. I realize this was a TV movie and probably didn't have all the clout and money backing as a major film might have had, but the major players were good in their roles and all in all would hold the interest of the audience. I noted that an old radio show, The Shadow, was featured as the background of one of the hideout scenes. This was a boo boo on somebody's part because this was supposed to be in 1933 and the Shadow made it's debut in 1940. Sorry guys!

Interesting Book to Read about the Story

Author: woodway77 from Kirkland, Washington
8 September 2006

I have not seen this production, but I have recently finished a book which details the events surrounding the "massacre", which took place at Kansas City's Union Station railroad depot. The book is called "The Union Station Massacre" by UMKC journalism professor Robert Unger. The book is a fascinating read of how the FBI, which prior to this incident was an unarmed and ineffective detective bureau, transformed into a nation-wide powerhouse of crime fighting. Any history buffs who want to learn more about the events would be well-served by this volume. It isn't generally available in many public libraries, but academic collections will probably have it, and it is usually available by loan.