IMDb > A Girl Named Sooner (1975) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Girl Named Sooner (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Where is this jewel nowadays, huh?

Author: jessfink (jessfink@aol.com) from NYC
20 May 2002

My sister and I remember watching this incredible telefilm when it came out, and for years afterwards. We were heartbroken when they stopped airing it regularly. It is an outstanding story of a poor, uncared-for young girl and what happens to her. It is stunningly acted, and incredibly moving. Some images are still with me to this day. The sight of Cloris Leachman, unrecognizable, playing this loathsome woman, unkempt, her bosom sagging (with rice!) was so shocking to me as a 7-year old that I have been unable to see her any other way since then, in anything, and Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein" is totally ruined for me. There is a scene where Sooner, in an attempt to make friends, does something shocking, and thinking about it 20 years after last having seen this, I am still getting upset and a lump is forming in my throat. It was also available as a book, and I read my paperback copy of it until it fell apart.

This is a terrific thing to watch as a family. It sure will make your children realize how lucky they are, but more, how much you love them, because you won't be able to stop hugging and kissing them when this is over.

Wonderful movie in a country setting

Author: williambrow9 from United States
19 March 2007

I am from Switzerland County where this movie was filmed. Sooner lived with the old woman on a hill in a small town called Bennington. The Hill was called Schuel Hill. Bennington was around six miles from Vevay. That is where Sooner lived with the married couple who had no children. The school that Sooner attended in the movie is called the old gym and is still used today for basketball games and carnivals. My sister in law was an extra in this film. She was a little girl on the playground. It is wonderful to watch a movie and to be familiar with the surroundings. This is a very touching film. You will laugh and cry while watching it.

I cannot forget this movie!

Author: nancysparkle from Massachusetts
7 September 2005

I saw this movie back in the 70's, and like the other reviewer, I will never forget the scene where Sooner wants to be accepted by the other girls. For years I have thought of this movie, and particularly that scene, and even wished I never saw it, because the scene haunted me! Yet it was so beautifully done! It is a heartbreaking, yet terribly understandable, scene. I continually check the TV guide to see if it is on again. I'm surprised that it has not shown up in the video stores, or on IMDb. Cloris Leachman is amazing, as is the little girl. I read that the girl never made another movie. I wonder why..... I would love to find this movie on DVD. I will never forget this movie. I'd like to see it again. I hope others who have seen the movie will advocate for a DVD!

Good family movie

Author: thomandybish from Weaverville, NC
3 April 2001

Despite having been about four at the time I saw this movie, I still remember it. Set around the depression, it involves Sooner, a neglected child raised by a backwards, crazy old woman. Sooner is given to a couple to raise, and the drama comes from seeing this formerly isolated and ignorant little girl learn about love and family. Chloris Leachman deserved an Emmy as her portrayal of the wagon-driving, wily old woman--I can still remember her screeching at the people who want to take Sooner from her. The movie has a sort-of WALTONS feel to it, and that's not a bad thing at all. Too bad somebody hasn't released this on video; I think many people would love it.

Unforgettable Movie

Author: eacobb from United States
11 February 2005

When I think back to my childhood, this movie stands out above all others. It first aired when I was 8 yrs old. I watched it every opportunity I had after that. The teasing Sooner encountered, esp the crow scene, connected with my own life experience of being teased endlessly.

The wonderment of Sooner at the fair also stands out in my mind. These scenes were so well shot that I remember feeling like I was see through Sooner's eyes and feeling her wonderment.

I wish this movie was available in video so that I could share it with my daughter.

This Beautiful Story Will Tug At Your Heart And Make You Cry

Author: marianna1776 (marianna1776@hotmail.com) from Huxley, Iowa
5 August 2004

A Girl Named Sooner is a beautiful story that will absolutely tug at your heart, and make you cry.This is a rare quality film that shines like a bright gorgeous star.I cannot say enough about this movie!I saw this movie way back in 1975, and I cried and cried.It was almost painful to watch a young innocent child trying so hard to find her place in the tough world.I was totally absorbed in this story from the very first scene to the very last scene.The young actress that played the young Sooner was enchanting, she was dazzling! Lee Remick was superb as the lady who tried to take care of Sooner.Richard Crenna was perfect as the concerned and loving husband.I found myself resenting the lady in the story that was played by Lee Remick, because the part was played so well,and so brilliantly by her.Cloris Leachman as the rather eccentric older caretaker of the little girl was top notch. Cloris Leachman is such a wonderful actress with great range.I am so glad that I am able to see this movie every now and then.I have this movie gem in my film library.I give this story a very high recommendation for entire families to sit down and watch.It does not get any better than A Girl Named Sooner!

Wonderful Movie!

Author: wendyc30120 from United States
21 April 2007

Hi. I saw this when I was around 8 years old ,and it has always stuck with me. I love touching movies. I just wanted to let anyone interested in purchasing it. I just purchased a copy at only classic movies dot com for $23.95. Cloris Leachman was wonderful and Lee Remick ,and Richard Crenna are wonderful actors too. Cloris just really stood out to me when I was that age. This movie just made me cry. Something that is a rarity in movies this day and time. Susan Deer was just a little doll,and I still remember those sad haunted eyes. I have often wondered what happened to her. I know Lee and Richard are dead now. Just a wonderful movie for anyone wanting their heartstrings pulled. I can't wait until my copy arrives. Please let me know if you get yours.

This is a tender, heart-rending movie. Should be a classic

Author: jenmanpak from United States
2 March 2006

Sooner is a girl raised in isolation by a crazy old woman. She has never known love, affection, or manners. After being given to a kind, loving, childless couple, Sooner goes to school for the first time and makes friends for the first time. Through the support of a loving teacher, Sooner realizes that though she is ignorant, she can learn. The most poignant part of the movie for me was the part with Sooner's pet. She had cared for and learned to love a bird (a pigeon, I think). To realize the capacity for which she loves this bird makes what she does so much more pathetic. The bird can't fly (kind of representative of Sooner's own emotional disabilities). One day in the front yard, Sooner's "friends" start throwing tiny pebbles at the bird to try and make it fly. It becomes a real stoning in which Sooner eventually takes part. The bird subsequently dies, with stones covering it. The foster mother comes running out yelling and screaming as the kids scatter. Sooner looks sadly at her bird and realizes what she's done, only to make her feel worse is her foster mother yelling. Well, she runs back to the hills and the parents go find her, eventually adopting her. It's a beautiful story. I've seen it once and will never forget it.

I loved this movie when i was younger

Author: kpurplepanda from United States
2 November 2010

OMG. I have been wanting to see this movie again for some time now! I remembered i had recorded (yes VCR)it once when it came on cable but on the newer machines the sound wasn't not audible :-( so i just threw it out. I cant wait to watch this with my 9yr old who by the way, absolutely LOVES SHirley Temple! SO glad to see i'm not the only one pining over this movie! Great ones these days are so few and far between! I agree with Lisa about Leachman. She was great in that roll of "Mam." I am sad to see there is no picture of the lil girl here on IMDb i would like to see what she looks like nowadays. I have no idea if she became a famous actress or appeared in other parts. I'm sure she did because she also, was great in her roll as "Sooner"

The bird stoning scene will haunt you forever...

Author: dryan612 from United States
9 July 2010

This film has the strongest, most heartbreakingly poignant, disturbing scene ever.

The little girl in trying to make friends opens up and shares her pet bird with some children she wants to to make friends with. The children unimpressed say: "make it fly". To make it fly they start throwing stones at it. The children in group mentality continuously throw stones at the bird with the little girl joining in.

The climax happens when the mother comes out and sees what is happening and yells at the children who all run away. The little girl then realizes what happened seeing the dead misshapen body of her bird. The mother yells at her and she can only run as well.

The scene is so painful and memorable because everyone has a memory when they wanted to make a friend they open themselves up and share something special to them. The potential friend unimpressed that you don't seem so special and distorts the situation for their own amusement. In trying to win your friend over you might join in riduculing what was special. And when it is over the other person just leaves you with what you thought was special but now is just broken and ruined.