IMDb > The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Flåklypa Grand Prix

The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix More at IMDbPro »Flåklypa Grand Prix (original title)

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A Norwegian classic

Author: anonymous from norway
8 June 1999

Most Norwegian film is not very good, to be fair. Even most Norwegians hate Norwegian film. Flåklypa is one of the very few standouts. We all love this film. The story of the humble Reodor Felgen and his friends have captured the imagination of Norwegians for three generations now, and I`m sure it will continue to do so. The humour appeals to both kids and adults, but the it will probably be lost on foreigners. The animation is superb and they have managed to give the characters life and a distinct personality. In a way it is some sort of a forerunner to Wallace and Grommit, but sadly without the international appeal. Anyway we Norwegians will continue to pat ourselves on our back and say that it is the best animated film ever made, whatever Disney may come up with.

One of the best for all, even for foreigners

Author: anonymous from Norway
17 March 1999

One of the best made puppet feature length films in the world. One has to understand it is the first feature length animated film ever made in Norway, and it's way back in 1975. Actually, when I saw it first time about two years ago in Norway, I didn't even speak Norwegian, but the characters acted so well and the storyboard was so tight and good, I had no problem fellowing the story and even catch some basic humor there. Anybody knoticed how detailed the animation and the set were? Of course, the very Norwegian humor I can't really understand and don't see why it's funny, but there are so many of good universial humor to enjoy it by a foreigner. Different from typical Disney musical animation, it has more mature humor and an original story, and NO SINGING! It's the kind of family film for both kids and the adults, and not get bored by it easily. Caprino is a genius, and too bad he didn't make another feature film. I know it would be hard to match such quality work and animation in even nowadays. I recommend it to every one. It's nice to know there are something more than Disney in the world, and it's even better.

PS.I would think probably Disney was behind of 'hard to find a video copy of Grand prix' in the States.

Excellent!

Author: Andreas Høistad from Norway, Tynset
1 February 1999

This is probably one of the best films ever made in Norway! It contains great dialog and effects. If you come from outside of Norway and yet haven't seen it, I will recommend Flåklypa! I'm sure that the translation is bad, but it's still worth seeing!

my all-time favorite family movie!

Author: Neo Wannabe from Lørenskog, Norway
22 June 2002

I love this movie, like most norwegians. Still after all these years watching this movie again and again I still can barely believe it's norwegian! It's just TOO good to be true! Without a doubt one the greatest animated movies in the international history of movies! Too bad it contains so many internal references to norwegian characters and surroundings as these jokes then will be somewhat lost to foreigners, but there's still lots and lots left. This also has my favorite movie-line ever: "Jasså, døk sitt og glor?" :) (it looses a lot when translated)

It was sooo sad when Ivo Caprino died, who created this. Maybe, just maybe his son will be crazy enough to make a sequel 30 years later??? I wish!

Best Norwegian Film You'll Ever See!

Author: monca_bang_ from Norway
10 June 2000

Trust me. This is a rare exception from the traditions of Norwegian filmmaking. It's, or well, it SHOULD be a well known fact that Norway does not know how to make movies, with a few exceptions. But Flåklypa Grand Prix is a classic Norwegian film, not just for kids, but for everyone. It has all the charm in the world, and it's Norway in an eggshell... I don't know how foreigners will/have responded to it, or if they even understood the movie, but for Norwegians... this movie is as good as they come.

Best animation EVER!

Author: Terkel Christensen (terkel@dbmail.dk) from Denmark
25 December 2009

This is an almost 35 years old stop-motion doll/model film. In my opinion, it has NEVER been, and will never be surpassed! Sure, better techniques has evolved, but this film is a true masterpiece! The humour is (at least for us scandinavians) brilliant, and still holds up to this day. There are way too many epic moments to describe here, but one comes closer to my heart than others: When "Il Tempo Gigante" starts at the final race, it lays down some serious rubber on the asphalt. The asphalt then curdles up as serpentines behind the cars wheels! I was so freaked over this scene in 1976 (danish release), that it will stay in my mind forever! I find myself just waiting for this scene, every time I view this film! I've "only" seen this film some 30 times - and I *LOVE* it even more from time to time - and I'm 47 now...

"Il Tempo Gigante" was later made as a full-size, driveable car (!), which I saw at a danish car-exhibition. It was GINORMOUS! (22 ft., or 6,7 meters long!) What a treat. (Google it!)

I even own two copies of the PC-game! (Yes, it exists - and is every bit as entertaining as the film...)

My only regret in this review is, that 10 is the highest vote - I'd gladly give 11...

I urge you to watch this film, if you never have yet!

Remember when this was made.

Author: taskoghe from Norway
27 December 2007

When I look at the comments, remember that this is a puppet movie from 1975! In a way it's a parody on rural Norway the way it was over 30 years ago! Today Norway, like the rest of the world, is so very different. Multicultural and far less innocent. I think that explains why so many people from my generation loves this movie. It's a testament from a less complicated past, besides the fact, of course, that it holds precious childhood memories.

If this had been a more widely known movie internationally, I can already imagine that Muslims would have had several issues with it. After all, we now live in a paranoid and censor happy world.

A car race and a story as you have never seen it before!

Author: barflyer from Norway
22 November 2007

This film is unique, you won't ever see anything like it. The animation technique is patented, the characters are original and lively and all scenes are extremely carefully and detailed modeled. The movie is soaked with atmosphere and you can just lean back and enjoy it as you become familiar with each of the different personalities in the film. The exciting car race is wonderfully animated with plenty of details. Having been made 35 years ago this movie is still a winner as the environment it is happening in is kind of timeless, and the animation dolls are just as timeless.

This film is a must see! ...and it's very suitable for kids as well.

Timeless classic!

Author: naterstad from Norway
23 December 2006

Today I watched this movie, as Norwegian television always show this movie as a part of the Christmas"cavalcade" every year.

I was amazed. Simply amazed. I've watched this movie MANY times, as all Norwegians have, but still, the genius of it all never seize to amaze me! The characters, the dialog and the story are simply brilliant! I watched this movie along with my sister (13), and my brother (27), and myself (21). All of us laughed so hard, so many times, even though we saw the movie on different levels.

I kinda feel bad that this movie is based on Norwegian archetypes, so it's impossible to non-Norwegians to comprehend everything that is going on, but on the other hand, that may be what makes this film so good, - that it's based on stereotypes, and the Norwegian "bygdetulling" (a combination of rube and village idiot, so to speak).

It makes me truly proud, and actually brings a tear to my eye seeing all the positive comments on this board! RIP Kjell Aukrust and Ivo Caprino, we will never see the likes of their genius ever again!

*adds to the praise*

Author: Katja Isaksen from Oslo, Norway
8 June 2003

I was reading through the comments, and I really couldn't find one negative one! Not even the American who said it was nothing special didn't say it was bad... I guess it's not your typical US type humour, but that absolutely not a bad thing. Jokes don't have to slap you in the face to be funny. I think this is a good example of Norwegian humour, a bit dry and silent and playing on details. That's probably why people see it again and again. And again. And... You get the point.

It's true what they say, this is a classic here in Norway and I doubt anyone can grow up here without seeing it a few times. I know I'm going to tape it when they show it for Christmas and take it back to England with me. (I study there) Just too bad I can't really show it to anyone there.

One last thing: Disney, eat your heart out!!

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]