IMDb > Death Race 2000 (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Death Race 2000

Death Race 2000 More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A true classic

Author: raypdaley182 from Coventry
17 May 2002

Every time I see this film I can never remember if I've seen it all until the end of the race. Then I recall that Carradine is in the car and the girl gets shot.

This is a ride across America with it's tongue well and truly buried in it's cheek.

Some sex appeal with lady drivers and navigators, some nudity also, not unwelcome either!

It's nice to know this film was honoured by Frankensteins car appearing in the game Carmageddon.

Watch it and enjoy it.

Campy fun -- not to be taken too seriously

Author: TelevisionJunkie from Texas
12 May 2002

When I was in school, my best friend saw this on TV and just raved about this flick where mowing down women, children and elderly people in your car got you tons of points in this game.... He never said who was in it, though I heard the title endlessly, but I was never able to track down the video. Years later (and two days ago) I was looking through a stack of cheaply-packaged Canadian-released DVDs for $5, and there was Stallone's mug staring at me, the only copy on the shelf. When I realized Stallone was in it, I wasn't sure what to expect (not a huge fan), and moments into the flick, I still wasn't sure what to expect....

It's obvious from the start that this wasn't aimed at the mainstream public, and I soon realized why when I saw Roger Corman's name and a few people that were in "Rock and Roll High School." What I soon realized was that it's 80-some minutes of cartoonish nonsense, complete with the ultimate cartoonish-actor, Stallone (who was perfect for the role). Very over-the-top with tongue planted firmly in cheek, I really can't understand why I've never been able to find this. Everyone in the film seemed to be in on the joke and played it to campy perfection (with the exception of Carradine, who seemed a little wooden compared to everyone else -- though he was effective). The low-budget special effects are above average, many made realistic through the aid of quick-editing. And the story is so outlandish that it was the perfect premise for a film!

Only two complaints. First, the film was too short. You rarely find movies that run less than 90 mins, and when you do, it seems like there should me more. Second, for the lack of sex scenes, there was too much nudity. Not that I'm against nudity, but it seemed rather pointless that all the contestants were lined up in the buff getting massaged (and though he appeared to be nude, it was one of the few times you didn't even get to see Sly's butt -- not that I'm complaining there -- he's shown it too much). Actually, one final complaint -- avoid the "Digital Multimedia Limited" DVD release with Sly on the cover as the picture quality leaves something to be desired. Now I have to find the sequel....

Total trash classic.

Author: chinadrum from new york, usa
8 May 2001

The movie is totally trashy, but if you are a cult classic fan it is the same stuff you have grown to know and love. You can just sit down on any day, pop in the movie, and just laugh at the bad effects, quirky acting, and twisted plot. Seeing Stalone in his pre-Rocky fame is quite the amusing bit on its own. Just go out, pick up the movie and get ready to either laugh or ask "what the hell?"

Black humour!

Author: Knox_King from Sweden
11 February 2000

For anyone enjoying Monthy Python movies, this is it. Nothing is serious, looks good or is edifying. It's just a long sarcastic movie where you don't know if you should laugh or turn off the VCR!

A tasty slice of low-budget, high-octane black humour!

Author: steelz from Somerset, England
31 January 2000

In the future, five contestants speed across America to get the fastest time and the highest number of human casualties. What originally sounds like a sick joke, is in fact a tasty slice of low-budget, high-octane black humour! The acting is all equally corny, sometimes unintentionally so, but it never detracts from the fun. This film is so original, so unbelievable and so enjoyable that you have to see it before you DIE!

Pure, unadulterated cheese!

Author: jrabbit-2 from San Diego, CA
26 July 1999

This is not a film you watch for it's own sake. This is a cheese-fest, suitable for sitting around with 10 of your closest friends, shouting commentary and throwing popcorn at the screen. It wallows in it's own silliness. MST3K fans should own this flick.

The original Natural Born Killer

Author: Hans from Toronto
14 July 1999

Oliver Stone must have been thinking of this film when he concocted Natural Born Killers. The overwhelming theme of the media's glorification of violence is present in both. Now, I don't really like NBK, but I love Death Race. The sheer campiness of watching Frankenstein run down hapless citizens, and Machine Gun Joe mowing down crowd members with a tommy gun is a delight. The ending is wholly satisfying, and unlike NBK, you can LAUGH at this violence, while still picking up a positive moral message--REAL VIOLENCE SHOULD NOT BE GLORIFIED!

Pretty darn nutty!

Author: Doug Galecawitz ( from Lisle, IL
13 May 1999

Death Race 2000 isn't a good movie but it sure is good entertainment. It's premise has got to be one of the most twisted in movie history. A competition of drivers in really cool cars who's sole purpose is to run people over for points. The gore could have been a little funnier if a few of the kills had been all splattery. Not as many people get run over as I had hoped when renting it. Sylvester Stallone plays his most hilarious character ever, a mob racing guy who shoots at spectators who boo him with a tommy gun. There's also a Nazi guy and a dumb racing commentator who is annoying. Plus enough female nudity to keep attention from wandering in between the racing/bloodbath scenes. Love the hand grenade. Eight out of ten. Could be made even better.

A Hyperadrenalinized Cartoon Come To Life

Author: ferbs54 from United States
25 October 2007

Wow, this is one of the wildest movies that I've seen in a long time! "Death Race 2000" (actually made 25 years earlier than that) deals with a transcontinental auto race between five drivers; a race in which points are scored for mowing down pedestrians (babies and seniors being worth the most points, for some reason), and which is constantly being attacked and sabotaged by revolutionaries who want to stop the violence. The five drivers involved are Frankenstein (David Carradine), who's had so many crack-ups that most of his limbs are now artificial; Machine Gun Joe Viterbo (Sylvester Stallone, on the cusp of "Rocky" fame, and absolutely priceless in this early role); Western cowgirl Calamity Jane (Mary Woronov); Nazi fraulein Mathilda the Hun (cult fave Roberta Collins); and the effeminate Nero the Hero (Martin Kove). Anyway, director Paul Bartel and producer Roger Corman have here created one of the most purely entertaining drive-in crowd pleasers ever. The picture is like a hyperadrenalinized cartoon come to life; one of the more profitable films, too, for Corman's New World production company. The film is excellent, satirical sci-fi, taking sharp digs at America's penchant for violent sport, and throws off bright ideas, clever one-liners, outrageous situations and surprising plot twists like a Catherine wheel shooting off sparks. It may also feature the highest-velocity, most visceral racing stunts until "The Road Warrior"'s advent in 1981. You'll certainly remember this film the next time you take the car out for a spin. But just remember also that in today's American society, running over granny will NOT score you 100 points!

Corman Classic

Author: Rathko from Los Angeles
28 April 2007

Another cheap and cheerful outing from the unbelievably prolific House of Corman (IMDB credits him as producer on no less than 380 films!) 'Death Race 2000' is full of hilariously under-cranked race scenes, terrible dialogue, performances so over-the-top as to raise suspicions of pharmaceutical abuse, special effects that Tom Savini would have been ashamed of as a teenager experimenting in his garage, cheap sets, and bargain-basement costumes. And yet it all seems to work, thanks to Corman and Bartel, who manage to infuse everything they touch, however close it gets to exploitation, with an infectious charm and innocence that's just plain fun to watch. It's of equal interest to experience such a vivid time capsule of mid-seventies counter-culture politics. But despite all the veiled references to Vietnam, Watergate, government corruption and public apathy, any real satirical power is lost beneath the weight of such broad, slapstick comedy.