IMDb > Death Race 2000 (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Death Race 2000

Death Race 2000 More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

An above average film starring Sylvester Stallone

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
17 January 2017

In a dystopian future, a cross country automobile race requires contestants to run down innocent pedestrians to gain points that are tallied based on each kill's brutality. This is an 1h and 20 minutes parody that doesn't take it self seriously starring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone, to be honest i did liked the fact that the film wasn't serious and went back and forth killing people that was the fun part but the overall concept especially for a 1975 film was pretty dumb and cheesy especially Stallone in this film is kinda on and off for me he has some good moments but he is not the Sly we loved from Rocky he treats everyone badly and he can't control his nerves and basically hits women for like the half of this movie, Carradine is really forgettable as Frankenstein and probably miscasted and the way that Stallone gets killed is easily one of the worst death scenes in history of Cinema but overall you really need to see this just for the laughs and just to see how dumb it truly is.

Race with the Devil

Author: sol- from Perth, Australia
7 January 2017

Set in the near future, this action comedy focuses on a televised automobile race in which drivers are rewarded for killing pedestrians while racing between the USA east and west coasts. Delightfully offbeat as this premise is, things get even more interesting as it is revealed that the race is government sanctioned and that the US President has used the race, preying on America's bloodlust, to boost popularity and win multiple elections in a wildly distorted, post-economic crisis political landscape. This is a film that can be enjoyed all social commentary aside though. The racecars are a wonder to behold, bearing teeth and horns to look animalistic, the action scenes are memorable and bits and pieces of the film are kooky in the best possible way: nurses wheeling out senior citizens to be run over in a euthanasia cleanse; resistance fighters sabotaging the races with fake tunnels, landmines and bombs disguised as babies (!). Lead actor David Carradine has a very interesting character too; nicknamed Frankenstein, he has supposedly undergone significant facial scarring and constant body part replacements as a result of all his crashes over the years, but this is soon revealed to be a rouse to dupe his supporters into believing him to be superhuman. The supporting performances are unfortunately wildly uneven and the film overstays its welcome by around five minutes with an inappropriate upbeat conclusion, but for the most part, it is an encapsulating ride throughout its economic eighty minute runtime. For a low budget project, it boasts some nifty futuristic sets too.

Cheese alert.

Author: carbuff
11 May 2015

This cheesy, campy, dystopian sci-fi, '70s flick walks all over "The Hunger Games," and it was probably made for a small fraction of the catering budget of that modern and mediocre derivative work--correct the dollars for inflation and the comparison would be even more stark.

Just enjoy it for the classic camp it is, the car action, the biting social commentary, the early Sylvester Stallone role (which doesn't seem much different from his later roles in either scope or ability), and the occasional topless women.

If nothing else, look at it this way, it's half as long as "The Hunger Games" and twice as good.

1970's B-movie At It's Finest

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
5 February 2015

As I continue to work my way through the filmography of Sly Stallone in order, today I sat down to watch "Death Race 2000"

To start, I would like to remind everyone that this is, in fact, a B movie. For those of you who aren't quite sure what that means, I'll offer you this definition from Wikipedia: A B movie is a low-budget commercial motion picture.

In a sense, the "B movie" genre just about refers to any film that might not be entirely mainstream or have a decent budget. They're usually OK/watchable but offer little in terms of screenplay or acting, "Death Race 2000" falls into that category, and it has been praised by many as one of the more entertaining B movies ever made.

This is a 70's B-movie at its best. Corny, cheesy, a lot of violence, a lot of nudity, cheaply shot with some awful dialogue and performances, but amazingly watchable and likable.

Plot In A Paragraph: Set in a future (fifteen years ago) the ultimate sporting event is The Deathrace. Contestants get score points for running people down as they race across the country. The sport has crazed fans who sacrifice themselves to the drivers. An anti government agency is out to bring an end to The Deathrace.

Sly gets second billing behind David Carredine, and neither give inspiring performances (one of acts, one sleep walks through his role) and share one of the worst fights scenes I have ever seen (Thankfully Sly got a lot better by the time "Rocky" was made a short year later) Martin Kove shares the screen with Sly again as fellow racer 'Nero The Hero' Simone Griffeth is probably the best actor of the lot as Annie, and is also gorgeous, as is Louisa Moritz.

Sly doesn't do much other than scream and shout a lot, but it kind of works, and he does a few things in this flick you don't see Sly do often in his movies.

Surprisingly Enjoyable

Author: Eric Curto from USA
25 June 2013

I recently watched this film off of Netflix since its about to be taken off and was surprisingly satisfied as to what I had seen. The film is one of those films that takes on a humorous tone, while against a controversial possibility to happening. While the film was made in the 70's as a look into what the Year 2000 would be like, it still looks great. I found myself wondering if this was made by Stanley Kubrick, lots of long angled shot and bright empty areas. One scene in particular reminded of The Shining & A Clockwork Orange, when Carradine's Frankenstein and his navigator Annie are first alone together, the scene has a presence as strong as the actors and that is what Kubrick was known for, making the scenes jump out as much as the characters. The film has lots of funny moments and each character feels like a live action cartoon character, especially when Martin Kove(of the Karate Kid films)and Sylvester Stallone(of Rocky & Rambo fame). David Carradine plays the Evil Kanieval of the film, known as Frankenstein, this is due to many of his body parts being fake, due to many horrific accidents due to the races. He does an excellent job at playing in the role, a role he'll briefly reprise in the Jason Statham Remake/sequel/prequel. He's also looked at as a sort of unique character, wearing a special out to amplify his look. We get a bit of back story on him, but not too much, as the films focus is definitely on the hit & run races. Sylvester Stallone, plays "Machine Gun" Joe, his main rival throughout the picture, he plays the role in an adolescent way, focused primarily on Frankenstein, because he wants to be #1 and doesn't feel like he is appreciated. He certainly we are made to hate him, as he is way out there, even as far as smacking around his navigator. The females of the film are strong(except the navigator to Machine Gun Joe)and have there own personalities, but I wanna focus primarily on the two leads and the idea of the film. The films plot about legalized Hit & Run sporting events is again seen in the Schwarzenegger film "The Running Man" but instead of hit & run, its a battle royal of sorts criminals. The driving stunts and the circumstances of some of the hit & runs are performed well and hilariously. Stallone & Carradine perform their own driving stunts, making for better scenes and less cuts to stunt men. I have yet to see the remake and the prequels to that, its weird cause while the director of those films stated his film was a prequel to this, all other evidence says its a sequel. Anyway, I've written enough and definitely recommend this, for the formats and editions, I'd say get the recent Shout Factory Blu-Ray or DVD editions as they have some great features.

Cartoon or comic-book like

Author: oscar-35 from working in Movieland
12 March 2013

*Spoiler/plot- Death Race 2000, 1975. It's the future, the world's governments have gone global with the US president living outside the continental US. He organizes and promotes a road race from the east to the west coast once a year. There are five themed race teams of drivers and navigators with specialized cars for the race. The racers are judged on speed, time trails and get extra points for the traffic fatalities they accomplish along the way. The anti-global patriot forces try to disrupt the race for their political agenda.

*Special Stars- David Carradine, Simone Griffeth, Sylvester Stallone, Fred Grandy, Don Steele.

*Theme- Watch your back and stay out of the race and the road.

*Trivia/location/goofs- Large stretches of Camarillo farm roads and desert roads are used in this film. Templin Highway north of Castiac CA is a major filming location. Watch for continuity problems with hair styles and costumes.

*Emotion- Some extremely cartoon or comic-book like main characters performing in a arcade game plot premise.Very low budget and look to this sci-fi classic. It's well worth seeing at least once for the nostalgia of the 70's in this cinema form.

My Review Of "Death Race 2000"

Author: ASouthernHorrorFan from United States
2 October 2012

1975's "Death Race 2000" heralded in my most celebrated guilty pleasure. The total futuristic gore fest dystopia bloodbath films. There are others that should garner more love but for me "Death Race 2000" left the most scarring and fantastical impression. The film gives us a future of cross country racing like no race before. The hit and run becomes a celebrated pass time to appease the masses and bring down the population totals. Points are accumulated and tallied based on pedestrian qualities such as status in society, innocence, health, and all that range between. Things that make our real society focus on proper road edicate are distorted into a festival of cruel brutality. It makes this vision of an unsettled future bizarre and fascinating all while forcing us to question our sensibilities of what is acceptable in society.

David Carradine's character is cold and calculative while maintaining his humanity. While most driver's in the movie go for the easy scoring targets he goes for the higher scoring overlooked targets. This makes his character a more likable representation of a Death Racer. This film kept me captivated as a kid with it's cruelty and psychotic transformation of what I considered society consisted of. A set of rules and moralities that allowed for a safe and orderly existence. This movie threw all that out the window and there was no real reason for it other than society had become filled with blood thirsty madmen held high by corporate/government power and influence. The film took everything about the world as we knew it and threw it into the fire to listen to the sizzling of a fired carcass. To this day this movie runs through my mind as I slow for a red light while some one crosses the street. Even entering a hospital or shopping center parking lot brings images of altered metallic beasts souped up with claws and knives of steel jutting from every available point rushing through the car park wiping out those who where to slow to make it inside or into their cars.

"Death Race 2000" is a total exploitation of violence and lawlessness that brings the gore. The dialog is minimal and the kills are gruesome. It is a fun ride into an apocalyptic hell where hero's are madmen in hot rods of horror. A great film that is easy to watch, filled with death and brutality. There is even a message about being too content with societal standards. For me this was the movie that made me fall in love with futuristic flicks about a near apocalyptic world where anything goes. Truly one of my most indulged guilty pleasures.

Cult classic awesomeness

Author: Terrell Howell (KnightsofNi11) from United States
25 July 2012

Legendary B-movie producer Roger Corman was obviously doing something right back in the day because of the acclaimed cult status that many of his films possess today. One such film is Death Race 2000, a story about a dystopian future where the most popular national sport is a deadly race where racers travel across the country, running down innocent pedestrians in order to score points.It's essentially R-rated Wacky Races. It probably sounds sick... and that's because it is. Death Race 2000 is a dark satirical comedy that may seem silly and vulgar on the outside, but it's perverse genius on the inside.

This film takes place over the course of one of the annual races, and right from the start we are thrown face first into this topsy turvy future where mutilation and violence are now the highest forms of entertainment. The film moves fast and wastes no time in developing its hilariously bizarre story. The film boasts a colorful cast of characters that include the racers, their navigators, the race officials who are all hilariously quirky, and also a group of rebels who add a layer of conflict to the film. The various perspectives from which we watch this race unfold make this a very entertaining film. The whole ridiculous premise just makes it awesome and a disturbingly fun film to watch.

You'll be surprised to learn just how much is going on in this film when you watch it. There's so much more to it than meets the eye, even if it succeeds the most at just being a gratuitously goofy ride. There are plenty of people who will see this film as obscene and stupid, with no point and no center. Those naysayers likely have little grasp on satire or dark comedy, because that is what Death Race 2000 is all about. It's plenty messed up, and plenty disturbing, but in the silliest and most entertaining way possible. This film is ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome.

Low budget as a Roger Corman production can be.

Author: mazec666 from The Lone Star State of Mind
10 July 2012

Paul Bartel's (EATING RAOUL) first film for New World Pictures is a campy, smörgåsbord of over-the-top violence, political commentary and dark comedy. Not meant to be an ultra-serious film with award-winning performances and quality production values. But then again, I'm a sucker for anything that's unusually amazing.

The year is 2000, but not the actual 2000. It is a future where morals and ethics are tossed aside in favor of the annual three-day Transcontinental Death Race from New York City to New Los Angeles. The drivers of the competition are earning high points for running over innocent spectators and pedestrians. But this year, things are going to be very different.

The legendary half man/half machine racer Frankenstein (as portrayed by the late David Carradine) is back behind the wheel with a diabolical revenge and a lovely blonde mechanic (Simone Griffeth) on his side. Meanwhile, a diverse group of crazy drivers are vying to beat Frankenstein to the finish line: the hotheaded thug "Machine Gun" Joe Viterbo (pre-ROCKY Sylvester Stallone), icy cowgirl Calamity Jane (Mary Woronov), tough-as-nails Matilda the Hun (Roberta Collins) and flamboyant Nero the Hero (Martin Kove).

Running at an unbelievably short 78 minutes, the film contains some awesomely nice racing cars, including Frankenstein's reptilian-inspired turbo charger, which is not a bad-looking car by the way. The racer's costumes are tacky as hell indeed, and I dare you not to laugh at Carradine's S&M leather cat suit.

DEATH RACE 2000 is just as low budget as a Roger Corman production can be. I'm dead serious.

Fascination For Sex And Violence

Author: Desertman84 from United States
31 October 2011

Cult hero Paul Bartel directed this low-budget satire in which America's passion for cars, violence, and sporting events are finally brought together in one convenient package.Death Race 2000 is a cult action film that stars David Carradine, Simone Griffeth and Sylvester Stallone. The film takes place in a dystopian American society in the year 2000, where the murderous Transcontinental Road Race has become a form of national entertainment. The screenplay is based on the short story The Racer by Ib Melchior.

In the not-so-distant future or year 2000, the United States has become a totalitarian regime overseen by the charming but sinister Mr. President, who, in order to satisfy the masses' need for entertainment has created a new national sport -- the Death Race, a nationwide road rally in which the winner is not determined by who finishes first, but by who scores the most points along the way by running over hapless pedestrians. Aspiring champions Machine Gun Joe Viterbo, Calamity Jane , Nero the Hero, and Matilda the Hun are all looking to take the top honors away from Frankenstein,a half-man/half-machine who has been built to be the best racer on Earth and can outrun and outkill anyone on the circuit. However, not everyone likes the Death Race, and revolutionary leader Thomasina Paine wants to sabotage the event in the name of restoring democracy; her plan is to foil Frankenstein's expected victory by smuggling her daughter Annie into Frankenstein's race car as his navigator.

The movie about the story about a road race in the not-too-distant future for which the drivers are given points for running down pedestrians becomes an elaborate and telling fantasy about our peculiar taste and love for violence as telling tales of our choices in popular entertainment.It also shows of what things will become of our movies the years after Death Race 2000 was shown back in 1975.Aside from violence,the nudity featured in this film also proves that provide the viewer's satisfaction for sex as well.Overall,this movie tries to become a prelude of what things will become in the movies.