IMDb > Death Race 2000 (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Death Race 2000

Death Race 2000 More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Classic super-kitsch

Author: TravisD-2 from Tulsa, OK
28 August 2000

Death Race 2000 mixes 70s fashion with fast cars, cult heroes, and hit & runs. Who knew it could be so much fun? The friction between Carradine & Stallone never really gets interesting, but the supporting cast supplies more than enough compensation. Personally, I would have loved to see Mary Woronov (as Calamity Jane) a lot more. It carries a message against the public's thirst for violence, but along the way, the movie also makes a lot of great jokes (like euthanasia day). A great movie to show at a party.

A TASTY SUGARCOATED TREAT!

Author: bronco21x (bronco21x@hotmail.com) from Olympia, WA
1 June 2000

This movie is a slice of sweet cherry pie for those of us still humping the "American Dream". It is full of graphic violence and pointless nudity to satifsfy any hunger. As i watched this fluffy deer frolick, i thought to myself... self, this is a grand movie on any scale that should be viewed by all ages in public schools from coast to coast. I think we can all learn a little something from this juicy morsel of life. Before I saw this movie, i was nothing. I just existed, nothing more then a statistic walking the streets. But because of this movie, i am a new creation. Now i am going to college and am going to study astrophysics -the study of human flesh hitting the concrete- when before i saw DEATH RACE 2000, i was a druggy whore for the 2nd Avenue Posse. Also, Sylvester Stallones best performance. -***

This movie rocks!!!

Author: Jeff from San Diego, CA
5 August 1999

This is perhaps one of the greatest cheese movies of all time. From the "blood" that resembles orange paint to the seemingly out-of-place music, this is a classic in my book. Although it has been difficult to find, once found, it is an instant classic. Excellent Movie!

Nice Sci-fi action fun

Author: BrMike from South Fl
29 March 1999

Very odd and bizarre movie set in the year 2000 where it's not just how fast you drive but how many people you run over! Hit and run's not a felony it's the national sport. Sylvester Stallone stars in his pre-Rocky days. Some pretty bad acting in this movie matched with loads of violence and gore. But in a movie like this what do you expect. With that said and out of the way I actually liked it. The characters are also pretty cool with names like Frankenstein, Machine Gun Joe, and Calamity Jane.

The Ultimate Cult-Classic!

Author: Mike17 from Indiana
9 August 1998

Roger Corman's New World Pictures released this top-of-the-line low-budget cult film about a race where the drivers acquire points by running down pedestrians. Everything that a good low-budget movie should have is included: non-stop action, skilled direction by trash master Paul Bartel, graphic violence, nudity, campy dialog & performances, & the presence of cult diva Mary Woronov. Also included are David Carradine & a pre-Rocky Sylvester Stallone. This has been re-released recently as part of the "Roger Corman Classics" series on his New Horizons Home Video company. It contains a short interview with Corman, conducted by Leonard Maltin, about the film. A must-see!

Flattens all the Remakes!!!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
2 June 2015

When Roger Corman and his crew set out to make a movie, you weren't always guaranteed a good time. However, with DEATH RACE 2000, you'll be happily rewarded. Here is, perhaps, the best "death match" movie ever made! In the not-too-distant future, a cross-country auto race is held once a year. Participating drivers are given the opportunity to run over unwitting citizens. And score points based upon their age, race, social status, and so forth. In this year's current race, there's the ever-popular Frankenstein (David Carradine), Machine Gun Joe Viterbo (Sylvester Stallone), Calamity Jane (Mary Woronov), Matilda the Hun (Roberta Collins), and Nero the Hero (Martin Kove). Who will win? Who will die? Watch and enjoy! And flatten all the remakes along the way!!!

An interesting, but failed, attempt at social satire

Author: brchthethird from United States
14 November 2014

Roger Corman is known for making ultra-low-budget, B-grade (or lower) motion pictures that have lots of violence and nudity. DEATH RACE 2000 is no different in that regard. Personally, I haven't seen any other Roger Corman pictures besides this one, but if this is any indication of what they're usually like than I'll just stop here. I know that this film was limited by its low budget, but it still failed to entertain me with what it did have. There was some attempt at social satire, but it was all surface and supported by some of the worst acting I've ever seen. David Carradine is given top billing (as he is the main character), but I thought that Sylvester Stallone's limited, one-note performance was more fun to watch. Overall, the film fails at social satire and only makes up for it a little bit with some decent racing sequences (considering the budget).

Classic drive-in B-movie fun.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
27 April 2014

In a dystopian near-future, The United Provinces (as America is now known) is ruled by a despotic president who has developed a bloodthirsty 'opiate for the masses': Death Race, a televised transcontinental car race in which the drivers collect points by killing pedestrians. As the five cold-blooded contestants battle it out on the open roads between New York and New Los Angeles, a group of political activists attempt to bring an end to the event by any means necessary.

Don't be put off by the crappy opening title graphics that look like they've been rendered in colouring crayon by a ten year old: produced by movie legend Roger Corman and directed by Paul 'Eating Raoul' Bartel, Death Race 2000 is a thoroughly entertaining cult classic that no fan of drive-in/exploitation cinema should pass on. A masterclass in how to make the absolute most of a minimal budget, this fast-paced film packs a surprising amount into its tight 80 minute runtime: outrageous graphic violence, imaginative design (the customised vehicles and crazy characters looking like something out of a seriously warped Wacky Racers cartoon), wanton sleaze and nudity, clever political satire, cruel black humour, and loads of bonkers high-speed race action (the likes of which would influence George Miller on his hugely successful Mad Max movies).

The film also benefits from an excellent cast: David Carradine, the perfect choice to play surly race champion Frankenstein (I came face-to-face with the actor a couple of times and he was just as unapproachable in real life); a young Sly Stallone as Frankenstein's main rival, uncouth hoodlum Machine Gun Joe Viterbo; sexy Simone Griffeth, as Frank's navigator Annie, whose stunning looks and figure would make it hard for me to keep my eyes on the road; cult favourite Mary Woronov as sassy driver Calamity Jane; and Martin 'Karate Kid' Kove, as Nero the Hero, the terrorist's first victim. With a cool line-up like that, a good time is almost guaranteed.

Nostalgic, easy and not as bad as one might expect it to be

Author: mrlemming-1 from Minsk, Belarus
7 November 2006

The only thing that brought me up to watching this movie 30 years after the release was the rumor (and I'm not sure whether this is true or not) that the Carmageddon video game I used to play as a kid was based around the movie...

Frankly speaking, I didn't expect nothing but a loads of violence with no reasons behind it (cause that's what the game used to be)... In fact, it turned out to go behind just being brutal for being brutal... Surely, this won't rate among the all time classics - but it certainly is a way better than most of the blockbusters coming out this days (maybe just because it is old and I love those oldie interpretations of the "not so distant future")...

A truly spectacular, a bit nostalgic (young Stallone, mind you) and reasonably short movie for some easy-watching... I deserves a stable 7 out of 10 but I'll give it an 8 just because it turned out to be a way better than I originally expected it to be...

High entertainment value, small time acting and special effects.

Author: oneblip (dibhala@aol.com) from United States
18 January 2006

Just when I thought I'd never see another movie that was so bad it was good, I decided to purchase Death Race 2000. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie's wicked sense of humor. It takes place over a period of one race where the main objective is to make it from one side of the country to the other. Points are given for running over pedestrians, especially those that are either infant or elderly. Costumed freaks are the bread and butter. You'll see: Superheroes, Cowboys, Nazis, and Capone like gangsters. And the cars they drive don't get any better, they include: A reptile themed car, A car that has two tommy guns on each side of its headlights and a gigantic hunting knife in the middle of its bumper, and a bull themed car with horns on its bumper. The film truly doesn't take itself seriously and that is a good thing because it certainly adds to the enjoyment. The sound effects are that of only the finest Flintstones cartoon, and the special effects usually consist of poor matte paintings. It's nice to see Stallone and Carradine in some early roles, before either struck it big. Particularly Carradine, who is horrible in this movie. It just comes to show you that some bad actors don't stay bad. I can't say Stallone got much better than he is in this movie, it's typical fair for him to shoot a gun or have a fist fight. So if you and a couple of friends want to play a fun drinking game. And you have a craving for the worst fist fight ever on film, Death Race 2000 is sick comedic fun for every one. The special effects are so bad that even small children would laugh. I give Death Race 6 stars simply because it's fun to watch, in a really sick way.