IMDb > Criminally Insane (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Criminally Insane

Criminally Insane More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

My heart is just fine as long as my brain is not exposed to this movie.

Author: jwvongoethe1800 from Netherlands
23 May 2014

The first time I have heard of this title was in an review by The cinema snob. Judging from his review, I saw how bad this movie was. I than looked for the full movie. And OH MY GOD WAS THIS MOVIE BAD.

I will now explain the story. You see that this review has no spoiler warning, because you can tell the plot in just one line: An obese mental patient who kills everyone who is standing between her and the fridge. That's the entire story in a nutshell, there are some other things like the characters and the ending that I won't tell you (you can watch the cinema snob's review if you want to know that).

The "effects" on the blood are just cheap. The actors (if you can call them) don't look at the person they are talking to, and the music is driving me Criminally Insane.

This is an Z grade movie, so I am not surprised by the fact that this movie sucks, but I have to admit that this movie is hilarious, because of how bad it was. AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!!! (especially the sequel)

250 pounds of maniacal fury!

Author: DorothyGrimm from United States
8 July 2007

It is difficult to put into words how I feel about this grainy, drive-in classic. I know it is bad, yet, somehow, I cannot stop repeatedly watching it because it is just so entertaining. Here's the set up: Ethel, a 250 pound mental patient is released into the custody of her grandmother, provided that she returns for tri-weekly shock treatments, gains employment, and tries to lose weight. Unfortunately, Ethel only intends on sitting around the house, cramming as much food down her gullet as possible. When granny discovers the costs of feeding Ethel, she decides to take control and lock up the food. What does Ethel do?- stab her own grandma in the back. Next she kills a grocery delivery boy for trying to collect her past due bill, and both bodies end up locked away in granny's bedroom. The trouble begins when Ethel's prostitute sister, Rosalie shows up, moving in and soon inviting her vain, abusive boyfriend, neither of them being able to handle the smell of rotting flesh that is beginning to spread throughout the house.(Believing grandma is has gone on a trip Rosalie comments, "It smells awful. Grandma must have s*** all over her bed before she left!")Ethel must bump off all who either come between her and her food, or discover her secret, and her attempts to get rid of the bodies all fail. We last see the gluttonous lady attempting to eat her problems away, and as she gnaws on a hand the film cuts off right at the 60 minute point. Reasons to tune in? It's worth a million laughs, and I guarantee you've never seen anything else like it. When it comes to 60 minute movies, you could do a lot worse.

Goofy 70s Splatter Oddity...

Author: EVOL666 from St. John's Abortion Clinic
24 January 2007

I'll be the first to admit that CRIMINALLY INSANE (aka CRAZY FAT ETHEL) is not a great film by any stretch. I also have the feeling that this film will be a like-it-or-hate-it experience for most viewers. If you dig super-cheap zero budget H.G. Lewis-type films, then this one will probably amuse you. If not, then steer clear.

Ethel is an ex-psychiatric patient who is released from the mental hospital and returns to the care of her grandmother. Ethel is also a big fat pig who eats everything in sight. When gradma locks up the cupboard, fattie freaks and stabs her up. She "hides" the body by locking it in grandma's bedroom. In her quest for nutritional satisfaction, Ethel also murders the local grocery delivery boy when he demands $80 for past grocery bills and Ethel can only find $4.50. Next we're introduced to Ethel's whore sister, Rosalie, who brings tricks to the house to earn some bread. Eventually both Rosalie and her boyfriend are dispatched when they begin to notice the strange smell emanating from grandma's room. As the bodies stack up, and Ethel's means of obtaining nourishment dwindle, a cop enters the picture when the disappearances cause suspicion - and we're treated to the inevitable cannibalistic conclusion...

CRIMINALLY INSANE is not high art. It's barely even a coherent film. But honestly, there are so many (unintentional?) laugh-out-loud moments that I gotta say I really enjoyed it. The short, one-hour run-time didn't hurt things either. Some of the dialog is so ridiculous that you can't help but laugh - especially as Rosalie's boyfriend's excuse for beating her is because "you need a good beating every now and then - all women do, especially you", at which point they jump into a vigorous sex-session. Scenes like that just can't be denied. There's a pretty good outlay of the red-stuff, unfortunately it looks like melted red crayons and the kill-scenes are edited ridiculously. Again, if you dig super cheezy, super cheap camp/cult films, then you'll probably get a kick out of this one...8/10 (for the "fun" factor alone...)

Deserves recognition for the effort.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
13 August 2006

I don't know if I should call this a cult classic but something for sure it's obscure guilty pleasure status.

Priscila Alden steals the show as the mentally unstable Ethel. The woman will do anything for her food! Heck, she even kills her granny in a painfully (literally) scene. She finishes anyone that gets on her way. She's criminally insane because she's released from a mental institution sooner than expected and she demonstrates she's not ready for society! The direction is cheap, cheap but with a heart. The director focuses all the time on Ethel's behavior and at some point you can say that character development was intended. The score is disturbing on it's own way. There's an orchestra in the likes of "Friday the 13th". It worked for the movie's "intense" scenes.

My problem with "Criminally Insane" are the poor dialogs. Ethel's one liners in almost all death scenes is terrible. The rest of the dialogs between her and the rest of the cast are really bad. The low production values need to be recognized because it seems that the producers' intention was to create a serious B-Horror movie.

I recommend "Criminally Insane" for people who can stand a (short) period of boredom with the usual but few must-see scenes. If you don't enjoy the greatness of a B-movie, then avoid this like the plague. If you like to watch extremely low budget movies with zero production values but that try too hard, give this movie a chance.

A great little diversion to watch with a group of buddies.

Author: Cowman (cowman777@hotmail.com) from The Mitten State, USA
26 June 2001

"She's 250 pounds of maniacal fury!" boasts the video box, referring of course to the main character Ethel Janowski (later known in sequels as "Crazy Fat Ethel"). Ethel has just been released from a mental asylum and is taken under the wing of her grandmother. When granny tries to encourage weight loss on her mammoth granddaughter, she is met with a good ol' fashioned stab in the back. From this point on, Ethel makes use of various stabbing implements to kill anyone who gets in the way of her or her food. Filled to the brim with plot holes and continuity errors, this wonderfully awful film will keep you entertained throughout the duration of it's unusually short running time. The editing is the worst I have ever seen, and the soundtrack consists solely of random notes being tooted on various woodwind instruments. Also, be sure to listen for the racist overtones in much of the dialogue. While this is a horrendously dreadful example of filmmaking, you'll have so much fun watching it and laughing at it that you just might want to see its three sequels... I know I do!

Good Badness #7: Criminally fat and ugly

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
3 December 2009

This attempt at film-making was really too much. This really is Trash with a capital "T". It also carries a simple lesson in life: Never put an overly fat, retarded woman (who's one desire in life is to eat constantly) on a diet. Because she'll go berserk and slaughter everyone coming in reach of her chubby claws. That's the plot of this film, and I can't exactly say it makes up for an exciting viewing. Just imagine an enormous piece of woman performing various actions like killing a victim, dragging bodies up and down the stairs, moving her butt out of the sofa to answer the door, etc. I mean, it takes ages for her to get anything done, so that should warn you about the movie's pace. I imagine the only thing she can really do in the blink of an eye, is eating a pie.

A horrible piece of awful rubbish. Acting that reaches new, unimaginable depths. Be on the look-out for George "Buck" Flower (with no beard) as a detective. As soon as he opens his mouth, you'll be convinced that the man couldn't act his way one inch into a scene even if his life depended on it. The "gory killings" totally fail to have any upsetting effect, as they are so ineptly staged and the blood is clearly some red paint they threw around on the set and smeared some victims with. People just keep showing up at her doorstep (including her slutty sister, who doesn't look like anything remotely "sexy" either), and the fat trollop just keeps on killing everybody while stuffing herself with food. She just piles the bodies up in bedrooms, stinking up the whole place. Anybody who smells anything? Wack & slash, and the poor bastards die too.

Surprisingly, while this film can't move any slower to its "shocking" denouement (which you can see coming from the moment Fat Ethel makes her first kill), I didn't really get bored sitting through this piece of excrement. I never thought a steaming pile of celluloid turd could actually be this fascinating. And no matter how you look at it, once you've seen it, you won't forget it. If you think you can handle a fine example of bad taste in film-making, then this is the film for you. One of the ugliest films I've seen in a long time. Take this as a compliment or a warning; you be the judge.

Good Badness? Yes, very much, if only for its aka title being "Crazy Fat Ethel". 2/10 and 8/10

Super Bad

Author: Tromafreak from Tallahassee, Florida
2 July 2008

Oh my God!! That was awesome!! I thought I had seen all the great ones. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a mess this bad, except maybe in Ray Steckler's Chooper, but wow, I mean wow!! Where have you been all my life? Criminally insane is about an enormous ogre named Ethel, Ethel has just been released from an asylum. Ethel is criminally insane, her grandma takes her in, only for Ethel to eat all her bacon, eggs & nilla wafers. If that wasn't enough, then the ungrateful Ethel kills poor grandma for attempting to set some eating restrictions for financial reasons. Ogres really do make crummy granddaughters. Now, this is Crazy fat Ethels house, one problem, no more food, so now Ethel orders some groceries, problem solved, I'm afraid not, bad movie fans, she's $75.50 short. Solution? Order the food anyway, kill the delivery boy, then inhale groceries as quick as ogrely possible. Now, problem solved :) Money for food will no longer be an issue, since Rosalie, Ethel's sister has offered to pay some rent after inviting herself to stay. In a shocking turn of events, as it would turn out, Rosalie is not an ogre, she is only a hooker, nonetheless, her face still makes me uncomfortable. Problem!! Ethel stuck grandma and delivery boy in grandma's room & their corpses are starting to stink up the whole house, Rosalie & her beau/pimp who also recently moved in are starting to notice. Solution? Kill them both, All they did was snort coke & make out anyway, not a very appealing thing to watch while inhaling yum yums. Now, problem solved :) Ethel has now, really gone off the deep end, the weird mini montage that includes Ethel chopping up a doll, makes that quite obvious. Unfortunately Ethel's problems are still piling up, not only is there some cop breathing down Ethel's neck about a missing delivery boy, but the stink from all the corpses are even getting to her now. Solution? Chop up the corpses, and throw them off a cliff--no, wait!! That's stupid. Why not just eat them? Genius!! Ethel now kills 2 birds with one stone by dining on her victims. Now, problem sol--oh, I forgot the cop :(

I have read everyones reviews for part 2 and have a pretty good idea of what I'm in for, oh yeah, I still have every intention of buying it (soon), I mean how bad could it be, right?. I give Criminally insane zero stars, because you don't give movies like this stars, Criminally Insane is beyond the stars. Would you give stars to a horrible train wreck? No, you just stare, and be grateful it's only 61 minutes long.

Original and Sequel

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
12 March 2008

Criminally Insane (1975)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

The title pretty much sums up this incredibly bizarre, politically incorrect exploitation film that fans should really eat up. 300 pound plus Ethyl gets out of an insane asylum but she's outraged that people want her to go on a diet so she starts killing anyone who gets between her and food. Running just over 60-minutes this film is technically pretty bad but the outrageous subject matter makes for a very fun movie in the same vein of a John Waters film. There's plenty of violence and fake blood to make you giggle, although the "joke" of an obese person killing gets old after the thirty-minute mark.

Criminally Insane 2 (1987)

BOMB (out of 4)

Incredibly horror film that ranks as one of the worst ever made. Like many "sequels" of the 80s, this here takes about forty-minutes worth of footage from the first film and adds 20-minutes worth of new footage, which was all shot on a camcorder. Even the opening and closing credits were lifted from the first film!!!

Nothing interesting here

Author: VDOdrone from Alabama
24 July 1999

Being a huge fan of horror films, I systematically go through a video store's horror selections checking out all of the films. This is an occasion when I should have left the movie on the shelf. The gore in this movie is extremely fake, and the blood doesn't look even close to being real. The acting, well, there is no acting. The film looks like the cast got together the night before to briefly look over their scripts. The only horror movie that I've seen that parallels this one is Appointment with Fear. Both are equally horrible movies that should have never been released.

Criminally Insane (1975) *

Author: JoeKarlosi from U.S.A.
29 August 2006

Ha Ha Ha... Also known under the much funnier title of "Crazy Fat Ethel" (or some similar variant), this is a pretty bad sleaze film about a psychotic obese woman of little tolerance who bludgeons anyone who gets in her way by trying to tell her what to do with her life (like stopping eating like a fat gluttonous pig for one thing). She then piles up her ever-mounting corpse collection in a spare room and has to keep buying air freshener to hide the odor! As if all this wasn't bad enough, the acting and directing are all terrible, yet fans of such exploitation crud may get a chuckle.

* out of ****