IMDb > Bugs Bunny Superstar (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bugs Bunny Superstar More at IMDbPro »

very, very good

Author: KDWms from Pocono Summit, PA
5 April 2003

I'm surprised to read so few comments about Bugs Bunny, Superstar. So I'll chime in. Besides, it'll give me som'in' positive to say. They're all here - not just Bugs. This nine-cartoon compilation also features Elmer Fudd, Tweety, Silvester, Henry-the-Chicken-Hawk, Foghorn Leghorn, Porky, Daffy. It's kind of a "Best of." I thought that it was very, very good. There is some narration by Orson Welles and the difficult-to-pull-off segue from cartoon to cartoon is filled by interesting home-movie-type, black-and-white glimpses of how it was where the comics were created - the people behind the characters - the artists, the musicians, the voice (singular - Mel Blanc). But imagine this: I didn't hear the word "computer" during the entire film! This is one of the few videos that I would actually buy - I could watch it over and over. Must be the kid in me. Speaking of kids, I'll bet there's generations of 'em, the majority of whom have seen Bugs, Elmer, Porky, Daffy, Tweety, Sylvester. But I'll also bet that the majority of CURRENT cartoons are NOT known from generation to generation. Might that be a testament to how deservingly enduring these Looney Toons are?

Very low budget but fun

Author: preppy-3 from United States
19 November 2003

Documentary on the creators of Looney Tunes and how they created the various characters. Intespersed are some great cartoons--6 Bugs Bunny ones, a Tweety Bird one, a Foghorn Leghorn one and a Porky Pig and Daffy one.

The documentary is narrated by Orson Welles (!!!!). It might have seemed like a good idea but his deep, heavy voice and total inability to tell a joke correctly really dampens it. There are some interesting little tidbits about Looney Tunes--how they were originally made just for adults and how there was a big outcry when people realized Tweety Bird was naked (!!!). But the real reason to see this are the cartoons. They're in great shape in strong, bright colors. Also they show ones that don't usually appear at other retrospectives--I only recognized 2 of the Bugs Bunny ones. All of them are great but "Carny Concereto" and "Rhapsody Rabbit" are exceptional.

Ignore the docu stuff and concentrate on the cartoons. Lots of fun!

The Life and Times of Bugs Bunny.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
25 July 2003

A documentary feature-styled production that tells the story of Bugs Bunny, the world's most-beloved cartoon character. The entire group of Warner Bros. cartoons are the focus here as original animators, consultants and technical advisers are all interviewed and archive footage is displayed. Golden-voiced Orson Welles narrates and live-action film splits time with original cartoon shorts. Easily the best compilation from the Warner Bros. and their animation department. An interesting and absorbing history to a part of the cinema that many take for granted. 4 stars out of 5.

A great must-see for all fans of the famous toon characters!

Author: Dylan Cuffy (dcjc) from Waterbury, CT
25 April 2003

A great movie documentary telling of the early days of the Warner Brothers toon studios (think of "Termite Terrace" as you watch), along with nine great toon shorts the family will love for a long time to come.

This movie should be watched for on Showtime (or any of its other channels). Too bad it's not on video now--it should be taped!

I must agree, it's a family film that indeed shall be grater than any others that will proclaim so in future.

So long live BUGS...long live the MERRIE MELODIES...and LONG LIVE THE LOONEY TUNES!!

An agreeable 10\10 effort from the United Artists team.

"Confidentially...just between you and me...I AM A RABBIT!"

Author: gridoon
20 October 2002

This compilation features priceless archival footage from the WB animation artists' working and living conditions, and nine entertaining, timeless cartoon shorts. Although it eventually wears you out a little (I think those cartoons look better if taken in smaller doses), it is a much better choice for family viewing than many, many other films that claim to serve the same purpose. Long live Bugs! (***)

This bring back those Saturday morning memories!!

Author: Nolan Price from Shawnee, OK
27 February 1999

I am 34 years old and I watched this movie for the first time today with my two boys. It has been a long time since I have laughed this hard at a show. The boys thought I was just as funny because I would tell them about my childhood days while we watched. Family entertainment and quality time together...you cannot beat it!

it sort of fit in with "Happy Days"

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 June 2007

When I was five, I first saw the documentary "Bugs Bunny Superstar" and my parents made me a tape of it; unfortunately, we accidentally taped over the end. Now that I've seen the whole thing again - and that I'm old enough to understand what it shows - I can accurately comment on it.

It starts with a disembodied voice (actually Orson Welles narrating) showing photographs of the places representing the greatest minds: the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids, the Parthenon, the Coliseum, the Eiffel Tower, the White House (well, not currently), Termite Terrace...wait a minute, Termite Terrace? Yes, Termite Terrace. For the uninformed, it's the back-lot on the Warner Bros. studios where they created the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons. So begins a cinematic trip down Memory Lane.

The movie consists of an interview with animator Bob Clampett explaining how they created Bugs, Daffy, Porky, etc. When I was really young, even though I saw the caricatures of Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre and Edward G. Robinson - plus the scenes from "The Jazz Singer" and "It Happened One Night" - I couldn't interpret anything from them, but of course now I can. It was especially neat to hear about the typical days in Termite Terrace; it all sounded really fun! But of course, the best parts are the nine classic cartoons included in the movie to affirm what Clampett says. All released before 1948, they give one a true sense of old-time cinema (especially with Bugs Bunny at the Oscars). As it is, this documentary's 1975 release brings to mind the '50s nostalgia that had swept the country, as displayed by "Happy Days". While the stuff portrayed here is pre-'50s, it still makes one nostalgic for the old times. You're sure to have a real hare-raising time! There's also an interview with Friz Freleng, some footage of Mel Blanc, while Elmer, Sylvester, Tweety, and Foghorn also appear in the cartoons.

One more thing. When MGM released "Bugs Bunny Superstar" on video in 1988, they also released the video collections "BUGS!" (whose cover showed Bugs holding an Oscar), "DAFFY!" (showing Daffy wearing sunglasses), "PORKY!" (showing Porky driving a fancy car), and "ELMER!" (showing Elmer sitting in a director's chair). In keeping with the documentary, they all contained cartoons released before or during 1948 (e.g., "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid", "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery", "Baby Bottleneck" and "Good Night, Elmer"). I wonder why MGM released them onto video.

Iconic

Author: Alice Liddel (-darragh@excite.com) from dublin, ireland
8 August 2000

This superb compilation, appropriately narrated by another American cultural giant, Orson Welles, features the best of the 1940s Looney Tunes output, not just Bugs, but Sylvester, Tweetie, Daffy, Porky and Foghorn: 'What's Cookin' Doc', 'A Wild Hare', 'A Corny Concerto', 'Rhapsody Rabbit', 'I Saw A Putty Tat', 'Walky Talky Hawky', 'My Favorite Duck', 'Hair Raising Hare' and ''Old Grey Hare' (see my individual reviews).

As a piece of cultural history, this semi-documentary is inadequate - there is no attempt to explain the subversiveness of these irreverent, flippant, violent, beautiful cartoons in the context of Disney-dominating ick-animation and gloomy, propaganda-laden World War Two - to which many of these cartoons tacitly refer, revealing complicated truths other 'real' films couldn't dare, such as the barbaric effect fighting barbarians can have on 'our' side; there is no analysis of the glorious pretention-pricking of both Hollywood and high culture, or Bugs' androgynous proteanism, or how the cartoons retained a level of fresh invention while seemingly locked in repetitive formulae; of the powerful psychoanalytic premisses of each short, in which a wild, elusive, lawless animal stands in for our stifled desires, especially as World War Two gives on to the post-war world of Joe McCarthy and chums.

Rather, the in-between nostalgic bits celebrate harmless anecdote and japery, putting animation on its proper, neutered level. The cartoons themselves triumphantly bely such a project.

There's a "Special Feature" included on . . .

Author: Hot 888 Mama from Jacksonville, FL
4 August 2016

. . . Disc 2 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volume 4, called BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR, PART 2. Apparently, Warner Bros. lacked the imagination to recognize that many people would eventually find Disc 2 slipped into a plain, generic holder, by itself, to be purchased for a quarter at a garage sale. This would pose no problem for a legitimate product from a self-respecting firm. On-screen information would enlighten viewers regarding where to find Part 1 of SUPERSTAR, and any other parts in existence. Since Part 2 includes five complete Looney Tunes (RHAPSODY RABBIT, WALKY TALKY HAWKY, MY FAVORITE DUCK, HARE-RAISING HARE, and THE OLD GREY HARE)--the second and third of which have NOTHING to do with Bugs Bunny, the supposed "superstar" of the overall title--SUPERSTAR would need at least 218 parts to include ALL 1,090 Classic Looney Tunes acknowledged by Wikipedia. As for the connective tissue squeezed between these five SUPERSTAR Toons, it's as rotten as a week-old swamp corpse (like that ones the Olympic water athletes have to swim, row, paddle, and sail through this week in Rio). Speaking of which, one-time Hollywood notable Orson Welles provides 50 words or so of highly perishable narration here.

More than half an hour of this 48-minute piece . . .

Author: Edgar Allan Pooh from The Gutters of Baltimore
11 June 2016

. . . (labeled as BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR: PART ONE on disc one of Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 4, with NO clue from Warner Bros. as to where to find PART TWO) is given over to four Merrie Melodies cartoons, and Bugs does NOT appear at all in the last half of the third animated short, while the cotton-tailed "Superstar" is entirely AWOL for the final offering. The initial example used here--WHAT'S COOKIN,' DOC?--is a spoof of the 1944 Oscars, including a cartoon-within-a-cartoon (LITTLE HIAWATHA). That makes THE WILD HARE the only typical Bugs Bunny fare included among this quartet of shorts, as Bugs only participates in the opening act ("Tales of the Vienna Woods") during A CORNY CONCERTO. The Sylvester and Tweety I TAW A PUTTY TAT Capper seems haphazardly tacked on. Orson Welles appears to be narrating SUPERSTAR from a state halfway between comatose and Rigor Mortis, so this is definitely NOT Bugs Bunny's Finest Hour. However, viewers do learn that America's favorite hare's ubiquitous carrot comes thanks to Clark Gable's vegetable munching in the 1934 Best Picture, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.