Superb Giallo

Author: Destro51 (Destro51@aol.com) from Vermont, USA
16 August 2001

This is a fine example of the giallo genre. It contains everything you would expect from an Italian horror film like this: Interesting characters, convoluted plot, brutal violence and a fair amount of suspense. The plot, too, is great and is worthy of ol' Hitchcock himself. It begins when giallo regular George Hilton catches a killer in the act of disposing a body. George then blackmails the killer into murdering his wife, all of which goes smoothly. However, the twist comes when a couple of freewheeling kids steal the killer's car with the wife's body in the trunk. The killer chases the kids to the beach and then the bloody fun starts.

As mentioned before, the plot and the many twists it takes, makes this giallo entry a standout in the genre. Then there is the great and creepy performance by Michael Antoine as the mysterious killer ( why was this guy only in two movies?). Most gialli have an unidentified, faceless killer with a secret plan as their antagonist but this movie does just the opposite and benefits from it. The only thing that bothered me about this film was the hideously ugly house George Hilton and his wife lived in, which seemed to made entirely out of yellow plastic. Oh well, I can forgive it because, afterall, the movie, like most gialli, was made in the seventies. Overall, a highly recommended giallo that has everything you could want from this type of movie and more.

Impressive

Author: lazarillo from Denver, Colorado and Santiago, Chile
15 May 2004

I wasn't expecting much from this early effort by Italian rip-off artist and Argento/Bava-worshipper "Lewis Coates" (aka Luigi Cozzi), but I was pleasantly surprised. Like most Italian product of the era it has great music and cinematography, but it is also impressively edited, well-paced, suspenseful, and most amazing of all, has a plot that more or less makes sense (something almost unheard of in the Italian suspense genre). And what a great collection of European b-movie talent. La deliciosa 70's Spanish actress Cristina Galbo is the very appealing female lead, and most of the rest of the cast is made up of great Italian character actors as you've always seen them before: George Hilton as suave schemer who has his rich wife murdered, Michael Antoine as the truly creepy and sadistic killer, and Femi Benussi as the dumb, blonde, and badly-dubbed sexpot who winds up completely naked minutes after first appearing on screen and dead by the end. The only downside to this movie is the lousy full-screen transfer and atrocious English dubbing. Maybe Anchor Bay or somebody will one day rescue this film from gray-market oblivion and give it the wide-screen, subtitled release it deserves.

Underseen

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
30 January 2005

- Mainardi (George Hilton) would like to see his wife dead. By chance, he stumbles upon a killer as he is disposing of his latest victim. Mainardi hires the man to do away with his wife. The killer is able to gain access to the house and soon enough the wife is dead. He carries her body to his car and places it in the trunk. He goes back into the house to clean-up. But, when the killer returns to his car, he discovers it has been stolen by a joy riding couple. Unfortunately for the beach bound couple, they know nothing of the body in the trunk or the killer who is hot on their trail.

- There is no mystery as to the killer's identity. We know who he is two minutes into the movie. Some may complain about the drawn out "chase" sequence, but it only adds to the tension. The time is taken to get to know the couple. So, when the killer finally catches up with them, these scenes are even more shocking because we actually know and care about the victims. I found these scenes of violence particularly disturbing. The long chase is necessary to build to this moment.

- Unlike many of the films in the giallo subgenre, The Killer Must Kill Again actually has a plot that makes sense and is easy to follow. Cozzi abandons most of the tricks associated with this kind of movie. There are no characters introduced in the final moments of the movie or last minute flashbacks that make some gialli so frustrating. The straight forward style of story telling is a nice change of pace for fans of the subgenre.

- The entire cast is wonderful. Antoine Saint-John makes a superb killer. He has one of the most menacing looks I've ever seen. George Hilton is his usual smarmy self. And the couple, particularly the innocent Cristina Galbo, are very believable as sympathetic pair of car thieves.

- The new DVD from Mondo Macabro is a real treat. Image and sound are better than I expected for an almost unknown movie from 1975. They've also loaded the disc with some very nice features, including extensive interview sessions will Cozzi and a commentary with Cozzi. I am very happy with this purchase.

Giallo-lite

Author: Justin Stokes from Cleburne, TX
11 August 2010

Mr. Mainardi (Euro fave, George Hilton) accidentally witnesses a man (Michel Antoine) dumping a body. Rather than report the crime to the police, Mainardi blackmails him into murdering his wealthy wife, Norma. Things go smoothly, but before the killer can dispose of Norma's body, a delinquent couple steals the car which has the corpse stashed in the trunk. The maniac begins tracking them down as the two are completely oblivious to what they've gotten themselves into.

Before I bought and watched "The Killer Must Kill Again", Luigi Cozzi wasn't a director I had been particularly fond of. Being the sucker for gialli that I am, I decided to take a chance on this one when the DVD hit. While this isn't in the upper tier of Italian horror, it did prove to me that Cozzi is quite capable of doing something above substandard sleaze and cheese.

This is actually a quality film, though I fail to see how it has found itself classified as a giallo. We know who the killer if from the get-go, though he is never named. There is no mystery here unless you wonder what led to his initial murder which Mainardi stumbles upon. I have to say that it reminded me of Hitchcock's classic suspense pictures more than it did any giallo. "Dial M for Murder" definitely came to mind at first, but then it went off in it's own direction. On the other hand, as is usually the case in the giallo sub-genre, virtually none of the characters are totally innocent. The protagonists steal a car and $150, plus they lie constantly. I also thought it was amusing how Luca is romancing this girl, only to help another girl on the side of a road and then do her in the stolen car. Sometimes you just have to get any wherever you can! My main issue with the film is that after the car is stolen, it gets bogged down and doesn't really pick up again until the killer finds the couple. This portion could have been spiced up a bit.

The killer himself is actually a pretty intimidating fellow, what with Michel Antoine's reptilian facial features and large build, but he definitely has a lot of hell in this movie. Things just never seem to go right for him. As the greedy blackmailer, George Hilton is convincingly suave, even with the weird sideburns. These two make for a fine pair of villains.

Cozzi's direction is solid, and there are only a few small doses of the cheese that would dominate many of his later films. He employs some nifty camera tricks that he surely picked up from Argento. I also liked how he had the two very different sex scenes playing out seamlessly at the same time. In fact, that mean-spirited rape is the only real bit of nastiness on display here. Again, not the norm for a giallo, but the lack of it certainly doesn't hurt the film any.

Overall, this is a fine piece of work from a man who I originally had pegged as another Bruno Mattei. Any fan of the gialli sub-genre should be pleased, even if it isn't a giallo in the truest sense of the word. While the pacing goes off the rails at one point and the climax feels a tad anti-climatic, it's not enough to ruin things.

Striking compelling thriller

Author: fertilecelluloid from Mountains of Madness
23 October 2005

Most giallos are scarlet whodunits's, but Luigi Cozzi reveals his killer (Antoine Saint-John) two minutes in and directs our attention to a business relationship struck between the killer and a sleazy ladies' man (George Hilton).

Despite breaking a golden rule of the genre, "The Killer Must Kill Again" is a fresh, kinetic thriller with uneven performances (the women), terrific cinematography and striking set pieces.

Antoine Saint-John is positively electric as the arrogant psychopath and rivets our attention to the screen.

For a change, the storyline is relatively linear and free of the usual clutter. The violence is bloody and smoothly directed, and Cozzi demonstrates a real flair for atmosphere.

Certainly not as operatic as an Argento or as sleazy as a Polselli, it is, nevertheless, compelling celluloid and a million miles away from inept Cozzi trash such as "Star Crash" and "Contamination".

Far superior to typical formulaic Hollywood thrillers of recent years

Author: czarnobog from United States
2 February 2006

This is a very well-done thriller. A bit bloodier and nastier than Hitchcock's work, but very close in tone and production value. In fact, the editing was very precise, apparently tightly storyboarded, which was Hitchcock's method.

The locations are few but perfect. The "ugly yellow house" described in another review was actually very cool; the yellow walls appear to be painted with expensive Dutch enamel. Typical bold and imaginative Italian design.

The costumes are subtle, simple, but equally effective. Cristina Galdo in her soft jeans and innocent blouse is an incredibly alluring and convincing virgin. Michel Antoine, the killer, is tall and angular, with a James Woodsian countenance, cool and sinister in chic black pants and turtleneck.

The DVD is nicely done. Great sound and picture, and extras worth checking out.

If you like thrillers, definitely go for this one. Even if you have a hard time with foreign films, you will find this one palatable, with very smooth dubbing, an attractive and capable cast, and a solid, unpredictable storyline, delivered by a master director.

Solid, if unspectacular, thriller

Author: Red-Barracuda from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
27 August 2012

Luigi Cozzi was assistant director on Dario Argento's Four Flies on Grey Velvet, so he had a bit of experience working on a thriller. The Killer Must Kill Again is the first time he got a chance to direct one for himself.

The story begins with a man witnessing a mysterious killer disposing of a body by a river. Instead of reporting him to the police, he blackmails him into murdering his wife so that he can cash in the insurance. All goes to plan until a couple of joy riders steal the car where the wife's body is stashed. The killer then pursues these unfortunate delinquents who know nothing of the hidden body.

This one benefits from a good cast. Giallo regular George Hilton plays the husband and he is once again convincing as a very shady character. Alessio Orano (Lisa and the Devil) impresses as one of the joy riders. But best of all is Antoine Saint-John as 'the killer'. He is very intense and is impressively creepy in this role. The very fact that, unlike regular gialli, the killer's identity is known from the start is an active advantage here as Saint-John's sinister look could not have been exploited if the murderer was a mystery presence. In fairness, the very fact that there is no mystery in this film at all makes me question if it truly is a giallo in the first place. My feeling is that it isn't, although it shares many of the conventions of the genre such as a cast of unsympathetic characters, some brutal violence and a stylish look.

Because of the lack of a mystery this one has to depend on other things to keep it interesting. It isn't always successful though and the story does lack a bit of excitement at times. There is a decent set up developed at the beginning and there is some effective tension towards the end but it does meander a bit in the middle. Still, it's well made and acted and is certainly a solid film overall.

S10 Reviews: The Killer Must Kill Again (1975)

Author: suspiria10 from The Void
4 July 2005

Giorgio Mainardi is a man at odds with his wife. When his wife threatens to cut him off from her back account he searches for a way to get back. While sitting in his car contemplating things Giorgio sees a man pull his red VW up to the river and push it in (along with the body of a woman). Mainardi hatches a scheme while in cahoots with the killer to rip himself of his wife and grab all her cash. All, as you may guess goes horribly wrong.

The overall storyline is quite compelling. There were several instances where I thought to myself that I had not seen that particular wrinkle before. But sadly there was not enough action for my taste. The cinematography and acting were very good but the "road" scenes just weighed the movement down. "Killer" is an average giallo who scores for some interesting "wrinkles".

Weak middle, but otherwise solid

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
31 May 2013

"The Dark Is Death's Friend" has been classified as a giallo in some circles, though it really isn't, despite being Italian and involving murders. It's actually one of those movies where the "perfect" murder is planned, but things soon go wrong. I often find those movies very entertaining, because they get me wondering what I would do if I were unlucky to be stuck in the situation. Anyway, this is a pretty good example of one of those movies... for the most part. To be specific, the opening thirty or so minutes are well done, setting things up well and being quite captivating. Unfortunately, the middle thirty minutes of the movie is extremely slow and uneventful, with most of it being completely disposable. Fortunately, the last thirty minutes get going again, being suspenseful and creepy, and ending on a good note. Special kudos needs to go to Antoine Saint-John, who plays the nameless creepy killer - it's quite a good performance. The boring middle part of the movie stops this movie from being a classic, but if you wait to watch the movie when you are in a patient mood, you should find it worth your time overall.

Murderous Games with a Twist!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
11 December 2012

The Italian-produced crime thriller "The Killer Must Kill Again" is an interesting, off-beat twist on the giallo murder mystery, except we know the identity of the murderer from the outset. Indeed, "Contamination" helmer Luigi Cozzi planned it that way and even says so on the informative commentary track. Spaghetti western stalwart George Hilton stars as Giorgio Mainardi who survives off the wealth of his sexy babe wife and decides to kill her after she threatens to pull for money from his fingertips. One evening afterward Giorgio catches a cold-blooded killer dumping the body of a dead girl in the harbor in her VW Beetle. This is pretty eerie stuff. Giorgio confronts the killer and helps him light his cigarette with a zippo style lighter with the initials D and A on it. According to Cozzi, the D and the A stand for his mentor Dario Argento. Anyway, the killer (Antoine Saint-John of "Duck You Sucker") allows Giorgio to blackmail him into killing his wife. Giorgio tells his wife that an associate will visit her one evening while he is gone. Sounds suspicious? Of course, it is. The killer arrives and kills the wife and stuffs her corpse in the trunk of his car. However, while he is cleaning up some loose ends, a young couple show up and steal the killer's car because the keys are dangling in the ignition. Meanwhile, the police contact Giorgio and the police inspector (Eduardo Fajardo of "The Mercenary") gives him the third degree. Anyway, the young couple cruise off to the beach and wind up breaking in and spending time in a villa on the beach, until they discover to their chagrin that the place belongs to the killer. This splendidly lensed murder melodrama has an unforgettable ending.