IMDb > "Starsky and Hutch" (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Starsky and Hutch"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Starsky and Hutch" More at IMDbPro »

Not just about screeching tires

Author: WhKnight2002 from USA
4 January 2003

And thank goodness for that. Starsky and Hutch could've been like every other cop show out there, all about fists and bad guys, tough street talk and that car, but it wasn't. What makes Starsky and Hutch unique among cop shows, even today, was the relationship between the two partners. I know that isn't and wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and there are a lot of people who malign the show for the alleged homosexual overtones, but it was the friendship that has drawn me back over all these years. What Starsky and Hutch had was a relationship that spanned all situations...from the crises (The Fix, Shootout, A Coffin for Starsky, et al.) to the everyday humor and good-natured bantering that showed how their closeness and enjoyment of one another. Call me sentimental, but the clothes, the car, the talk, all are somewhat laughable today...but a friendship like that is rare, as well as special, and never goes out of style.

Simply the best, better than all the rest!

Author: manipool from Los Angeles
4 December 2000

How can I begin to describe one of the best buddy/cop shows on the air in the Seventies? I looked forward to each episode and hated it when I had to miss it for some reason. The chemistry between David Soul and Paul M. Glaser was superb, with each man giving to his character that special something that can't be duplicated. The blond and the cute, the dark and the handsome, one a thinker, the other a doer, one quiet, one a little bit loud, but both very appealing....Did their best work in a red and white Torino. The show was at it's best when the powers that be let them do their own thing, at it's worst when it tried to comply with those who wanted it to be something it was not...it was not a show about social workers. It was a show about two cops and two men who cared about each other. It was at its greatest when it found the humor of life after all the chaos of the evenings episode. It was and is truly one of its kind. I loved it and cherish it as one of my favorite childhood shows. Thank you Paul and David!!

One of the top 3 TV shows.

Author: tucsonazinusa (tucsonazinusa@yahoo.com)
25 July 2004

Along with "All in the Family" and "Seinfeld", "Starsky & Hutch" was among the best shows ever on the air. From 1975-1979 I had only missed the last episode because it had been moved from 9 to 10 pm, one hour past my curfew. I did however throw a tantrum and in the morning was given my first lesson on repairing drywall. Unfortunately in my anger, I had thrown the Gran Torino model I had made through the wall. Now 29 years later, I find myself forgetting phone numbers and names...but for some strange reason, I never forgot the S&H plate number, 537-ONN...SCARY. I was so happy to hear about the movie, but when I found out that they were replaced by Wilson and Stiller, I was sick. That is moronic. However, nothing was as moronic as the film. I read that Glaser & Soul had a 5 minute cameo...but I suppose for those who liked the movie and thought it was funny, they may be too young to tell time. The cameo didn't last more than a minute and it was all unlaughable comedy. The original TV show was a mixture with actors who actually have talent and chemistry. Stick to the original and don't waste a dime on renting the movie. Get the DVD collection. I have it and it is amazing. There is also a Starsky and Hutch game for 9.99-19.99. It is so much fun, and it has the original huggy's voice for the narrator, Antonio Fargas. I hope that one day before long, I will turn on the TV and David Soul will get his wish, Starsky & Hutch will once again ride the TV airwaves for a final tribute.

The best Starsky and Hutch was......

Author: band98 from United States
29 March 2005

First I want to make clear that I have nothing against Stiller or Phillips but no way did they pull off Starsky and Hutch.Two of the sexiest men on t.v. in the 70's! Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul had a aura about them that no one has ever come close to. I loved the episodes where David Soul was allowed to sing. Melt your heart away!!! And Paul Michael Glaser was always there beside his friend and partner. A true friend indeed!! Yes, it was only a television show but that kind of connection is rare. The two men knew how to make the script work and put a bit of themselves in it. Some of what we watched every week was them not Starsky or Hutch but Paul and David. I was 10 when the show first aired but it was the only show my dad would allow me to break my bed time curfew and watch. When it went off the air I cried. I can remember every show like it was yesterday. Two of my favorite episodes were "Kill Starsky" where Starsky almost died. I cried so hard that my dad had to turn away from the program, Silly huh!! And the other was "Ice storm" where Hutch is juiced up because he would tell a drug lord where a girl was. I was so angry I am yelling at the screen. " You better watch out Starsky is gonna kick your butt if you hurt Hutch!!" My dad thought I was nuts!!!I used to have the biggest crush on David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser. I still find them very handsome. Now that the series is on DVD through Netflix and Blockbuster online, I have rented them 6 times and now my sons are fans. I miss the show tremendously. The cameo that Paul and David got in the 2004 film was an insult I thought, because it was those two men who paved the way for Stiller and Phillips to get their shot at it. I wish both David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser all the best because they earned it. Paul, I am deeply sorry for the loss of your wife and daughter and wish you all the best. They didn't die in vain! The work Elizabeth did for aids research is an awesome thing and she has saved many people because of it. I know March 25th was your birthday and I hope it was a happy and healthy one. God Bless You!!! David, I hope you are in good health and don't stop singing. I loved to listen to you sing on the show and hope you have gotten everything you wanted out of life. April Smith

Reliving The Past, Starsky and Hutch Season One

Author: mrjazzy2002 from United States
4 October 2010

Watching archived episodes of Starsky and Hutch on hulutv has been a real treat lately, especially since I was a regular viewer when the original series started in 1975.

I noticed that producer/director/writer Michael Mann, ala Miami Vice, wrote the first 4 episodes on Season 1.

The episodes had good plots, a variety of fine character actors that played some of the bad guys, foxy girls, funky music background, an original opening theme written by Lalo Schifrin and many other elements that contributed it the show's success.

Fans of the show will always remember Starsky's leather jacket that must have been worn by an ace WW11 fighter pilot and passed down from generation until he probably found it cheap at the local thrift store and Hutch's plaid shirts, khaki pants, the shoulder holsters that held those 6 shooter cannon revolvers, the 2 cars and of course their sometimes pimp but harmless snitch Huggy Bear.

I miss shows in today's TV cable world that's sporting almost 500 channels like the old days of dramatic, sometimes comedic cop shows like S&H. I really had no desire to see the recent movie.

Watching episodes through the online link is really bringing back some memories of decades past.

Season 5: Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda!!!

Author: doherty-elle from United Kingdom
16 March 2007

As a second-generation fan I discovered this TV Gem from repeats in the mid-nineties. I've just finished watched the final series and you can't help but think that a fifth season would have rounded it off rather nicely, 'Sweet Revenge' intentionally leaves the door wide open for the fifth series but with it's cancellation we'll never know what becomes of our favourite duo; does Starsky return to work? do they quit, get their happy ending in the shape of happy love affairs that's not doomed for once - what?!

The dynamic of Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul as the loyal, live-wired cops has hardly ever been equalled: Glaser brings passion and humour - not to mention the sexy strut and a smile to die for - into Dave Starsky. While David Soul brings humility and quiet strength into Ken Hutchinson, together they really are quite something. Then you have the coolest sidekick on '70's TV Huggy Bear played by Antonio Fargas though acquiring odd clothes he usually hogged the best lines! The second and third season is really when Starsky & Hutch is at it's finest: whether it goofing around in Las Vegas or on an exotic island, the stories are gripping in one minute then sensitive and serious in the next. My particular favourites are 'Murder on Playboy Island', Starsky's Lady, 'A Body worth Guarding', 'Murder at Sea' and 'Gillian'

First Season is slow but has some memorable episodes, the fourth is very gritty, realist and uneven at times. Showcasing the actors' restlessness. But episodes like Targets without a badge and of course Sweet Revenge proved that the show still had some sparkle left, pity really......

Best TV show EVER!

Author: Debfearn from Derbyshire, England
14 June 2004

I am 14 years old and Starsky and Hutch is my favourite show ever! It is simply FANTASTIC! I love it. Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul have amazing chemistry and are superb actors. The friendship between Starsky and Hutch is wonderful as well and makes the show much more enjoyable to watch.I don't think there has ever been a show before or since which shows such a special and unique friendship- it is what separates it from other cop shows-Starsky and Hutch is NOT about the car,or the guns etc...in the end, it is all about the friendship.

Wonderful other characters- Huggy Bear, Dobey etc make it even better and pull the show together. Other older shows have got old fashioned or the acting is poor, but Starsky and Hutch is, I would say, a million times better than TV shows on telly now. I am hoping that they do the re-union with Paul and David- and so are hundreds and hundreds of other fans! Starsky and Hutch rule forever!

Delirium

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
8 July 2007

David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser were fabulous as the perennial bachelors who took on an unorthodox approach to solving San Francisco's most heinous crimes!! Drugs were a big part of this show, it depicted the drawbacks to using drugs and illustrated the delirium that they put many destitute walks of life into! Paul Michael Glaser was sensational as the totally guy's guy detective!! His personality went beyond likable, his role as Starsky was a big component in making this series extremely entertaining!! David Soul was excellent as well, as the all American detective Hutch, he definitely sparked an identifiability with the television viewer!! The rest of the cast was realistically portrayed in keeping with the time (the 1970's) that this show aired!! The '2005 movie was more of a satire of the original series, and was amusing more than anything else!! As a kid, I liked "Starsky and Hutch" a lot and I am glad that it was a big part of my childhood television viewing!! I give it a thumbs up!!

With a makeup artist called Shotgun Britton, how could it fail?

Author: winstonfg from Belgium
16 December 2006

The best cop show of the 70's and, with the exception of Kojak and the Rockford Files, a jewel in a sea of studio-cloned crap. First with the much-copied clichés of gruff captain and streetwise, all-knowing snitch, it had pace, pathos and, of course, the Striped Tomato.

Until the Hill Street Blues ushered in a new style of cop show for the eighties, Starsky and Hutch was the defining show of my teens and a rollicking, unashamed express-ride through the polyestered, bell-bottomed decade with two likable cops who are also best friends and plenty of short-skirted, tight-jeaned girls. It also had the great sense not to outlive its popularity.

We all had favourites (mine was Starsky) and we all tried to be as cool as Huggy Bear (brilliantly played by Antonio Fargas)...and failed miserably.

It has definitely dated down the years, but I have a copy on DVD and still take it out now and again for a chuckle at what we used to look like.

The show that launched a genre. Commemorating "Starsky and Hutch" on its 40th anniversary

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
31 December 2015

Before "Miami Vice". Before "Cagney and Lacey". Before "Lethal Weapon". Before "Tenspeed and Brownshoe". Before "48 Hours". And before "Hardcastle and McCormick" there was the one cop show the defined it's own character and launched the cop show genre as we know it today. That television show was "Starsky & Hutch". The series became one of the biggest hits at ABC producing 92 episodes during its four seasons on the air running from September 10,1975 until May 15, 1979. Created by William Blinn and Produced by the team of Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg(along with Joesph T. Naar and Adrian Samish) under their production company Spelling-Goldberg Productions for the ABC Television Network. Spelling-Goldberg productions were behind an array of great shows that they produced ranging from "The Rookies", and "SWAT" to name a few.

Interesting points about this show. "Starsky & Hutch" premiered as a pilot 90-minute movie that aired as the "ABC Movie of the Week" on April 30, 1975. It was a smash hit and so successful that the network gave the greenlight for this as a weekly series on September 10, 1975. So successful that it was nominated the Golden Globe in 1976 for Best Television Series and won the People's Choice Award in 1976 as Overall Favorite Television Program(tied with another ABC show "Welcome Back Kotter that same year). The series starred David Soul(coming off another TV-series "Here Come The Brides",and "Owen Marshall:Counselor At Law")and Paul Michael-Glaser(a former daytime serial actor who crossed over in theatrical films starring in the Oscar nominated "Fiddler on the Roof",and his guest star appearances on television series like "Kojak", "Cannon","The Streets of San Francisco","The Rockford Files",and "Toma")as undercover detectives who work for the Los Angeles Police Department under the supervision watch of Captain Dobey(Bernie Hamilton). The informant was the street-wise/educated sidekick Huggy Bear(Antonio Fargas) who know what crimes were committed before Starsky and Hutch and even Captain Dobey solve them. There cases ranged from police corruption to murders, rapists, cults, bank robbers, and whatever else was creeping in the streets of modern day Los Angeles in the mid-1970's. This was a series that was action-packed bringing in big time guest stars with superb acting,superb direction and excellent production values.

The show had a excellent premise in its first couple of seasons(Micheal Mann wrote and directed the first four episodes for Season 1)with some big time directors ranging from George McCowan, Earl Bellamy, Don Weis, to Sutton Roley, Jack Starrett, Fernando Lamas, Barry Shear, Leo Penn, Dick Moder, Michael Schultz, and Ivan Dixon. Even Paul Michael-Glaser and David Soul were behind the camera for various episodes. Big time writers from William Blinn, Michael Fisher, Rick Edelstein, Ron Friedman, to Edward J. Lakso, Robert I. Holt, James Schmerer, Amanda J. Green, to Jackson Gillis, Mann Rubin, Jeff Kanter, Dan Ullman, and Sidney Ellis. Not to mention Paul Michael-Glaser who also wrote an episode for the series.

Not to mention the guest stars ranging from Suzanne Somers, Alex Rocco, Frank Converse, Stephen McNally, Janet Margolin, Lynda Carter, Will Geer, Joan Blondell, Roger E. Mosley, Ron Moody, George Dzundza, Carl Betz, Albert Paulsen, Karen Valentine, Val Avery, John Ritter, Morgan Woodward, Malachi Throne, Kim Cattrall, Gary Lockwood, Samantha Eggar, Don Gordon, Philip Michael-Thomas, Yvonne Craig, Calvin Lockhart, Scatman Crothers, Bill Duke, Edward James-Olmos, Al White and many more.

Several good episodes do stand out from this series that included the series premiered pilot episode "Savage Sunday"(Season 1, Episode 1). The best episodes included "The Set-Up",Parts 1 and 2(Season 2, Episodes 16 and 17); "The Fix"(Season 1, Episode 5); "The Plague",Parts 1 & 2(Season 3, Episodes 8 and 9); "The Hostages"(Season 1, Episode 15); "Death Rides"(Season 1, Episode 3); "Starsky and Hutch are Guilty"(Season 2, Episode 25); "A Coffin For Starsky"(Season 1, Episode 21); "Targets With A Badge",Parts 1 & 2(Season 4, Episodes 18 and 19); "The Trap"(Season 3, Episode 15); "The Shootout"(Season 1, Episode 14); "The Bloodbath" (Season 2, Episode 14); "Hutchinson For Murder One"(Season 3, Episode 18); "Satan's Witches"(Season 3, Episode 16); "The Committee"(Season 2, Episode 21); "The Trap"(Season 3, Episode 15); "Death In A Different Place"(Season 3, Episode 5); "The Hostages"(Season 1, Episode 15);and the final episode of the series "Sweet Revenge"(Season 4, Episode 22). The worst episodes of "Starsky and Hutch"...."Murder At Sea",Parts 1 & 2(Season 2, Episodes 3 and 4); "Huggy Bear and the Turkey"(Season 2, Episode 20); "Ballad For A Blue Lady"(Season 4,Episode 14); "The Golden Angel(Season 4, Episode 15);and "The Bounty Hunter"(Season 1,Episode 22).

ABC kept moving the show around in different time slots to find its audience which was very successful during its entire four year-run with Season 1 on Wednesday nights for the 1975-1976 season. The next season it moved to Saturday nights for the next two seasons. The final season saw the show moved again to Tuesday nights until its cancellation in 1979. The show that eventually replaced "Starsky & Hutch" after four seasons was another Aaron Spelling produced series...the short-lived science fiction/drama "The Lazarus Syndrome" that lasted one season.