IMDb > Wedding Trough (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wedding Trough More at IMDbPro »Vase de noces (original title)

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

One of the Most Vial Movies Created

Author: chrisjoy from United States
5 November 2007

This 'film' has to be one of the most sordid films every produced. For people to even suggest that Olof_kmek's comment was useful has either never seen this movie, or has no idea what this film is about. This film has nothing to do with love, but pure sadistic acts of bestiality, coprophagia, murder, and suicide.

The film has a very incoherent plot structure, and is difficult to describe chronologically due to several strange and often random scenes interweaved into the overall story. Such displays consist of the farmer fastening doll heads to pigeons, cutting off the head of a chicken, and collecting strange materials in jars. A farmer, who may be the last person on Earth, lives on a rural farm in Belgium, and falls in love with his huge sow. After bonding with her in several strange ways, such as rolling in manure with her, he finally decides to culminate the relationship. After which, the sow gives birth to human/pig hybrids, whom the farmer immediately tries to bond with. He tries to feed them all, but they all try to leave to be with their mother. Jealous, the farmer hangs all of them. When she discovers that her children are dead, the sow runs away in grief and falls into a mud pit, where she drowns. The farmer begins to look for his love, and when he finds her, he becomes overcome in sadness. He drags the sow out of the hole and buries her back at the farm, and subsequently tries burying himself along with her. When this fails, he decides that his life is also over, and begins destroying every important aspect of his life, including the strange jars that he collects throughout the film. After his breakdown, he oddly begins making tea out of his feces and urine, which he consumes wholeheartedly, and immediately becomes sick. Finally, he hangs himself off a ladder, which is the last image of the film.

Homophobia in the Closet

Author: mrdonleone from belgium
18 December 2009

this movie is a perfect example of how a work of art can be misunderstood. when I read all the comments about 'Vase de noces', I was shocked. how can something so beautiful as this movie be misinterpreted? because that's all it is: interpretations. this movie is, because it has got no dialog, one big interpretation. so let's give mine by repeating it's only my interpretation: this movie is about homophobia, even though I only understood its message at the end of the picture. everything became clear to me: obviously, the protagonist is a farmer boy with mental problems, probably caused by something like, perhaps, childhood terrorism, it isn't mentioned in the movie (no dialog, remember?), but it's clear to say this teenage boy has got real problems. because he lives all alone in a farm with his animals, nobody helps him to fur fill his needs. and he has got some weird needs, but only (I interpret) because he lives alone, he's homosexual and no man in around (and no woman either) to help him get off his sexual desires. luckily for the poor kid, there are his animals. they help him go on with his life, by giving free sexual encounters and giving him the possibility to kill whenever he's upset. please, do not forget, I do not give away anything about this movie, there are shocks with thousands in this one I won't tell a thing about. but what I found so interesting, is that the boy has got some issues, he's a bit like the Amon Goeth character in 'Schindler's List', very interesting. he hurts himself, he loves himself, he wants to do good, he fails by being the opposite. how will this character study develop? to know this, you must see this art house movie, pure genius. and the thing about it all, is its hidden message, which I thought was that we must stop hating homosexuals and welcome them in society to avoid situations like the one portrayed in 'Vase de noces', one of the best films I've ever seen.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]