IMDb > "Starsky and Hutch" Pilot (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Starsky and Hutch" Pilot (1975)

1 of 92 Episodes | Next »

The pilot to the greatest buddy show ever on television!

Author: hutchnstarsk from USA
12 July 2003

Although, the pilot isn't quite what the show would evolve into, once it was a series, it does demonstrate the remarkable chemistry between the two stars, David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser, which is probably the most memorable legacy about the show itself. The two portrayed an incredible friendship on-screen, shared a unique friendship off-screen, one that remains to this day. The pilot shows the two young police officers, working together, trusting in only each other...the beginning of a portrayal of friendship that has yet to be matched or surpass onscreen.

It's full of excitement and male bonding.

Author: Hippiesetter99 from United States
11 May 2005

This isn't any 70's cop show. It really shows how two very macho men can become the best of friends. Both Starsky and Hutch have the looks and the attitude to bring the "bad guys down". They display a great comfort in what they do. Starsky seems to be the innocent one, he's always out to have fun while doing his job. Glaser does a great job with the part. Hutch on the other hand usually is making sure Starsky is OK. Soul also does a wonderful job with the character of Hutch. There are some great episodes when you can really feel how much they care for one another and they would do anything for the other one. Both really show there emotion when they feel their pal is in trouble. The "Starsky Mobile" which is an awesome car to use in the show adds more excitement(with the burn-outs).

I'm making this comment as a 16 yr old girl who loves the 70's and appreciates a great friendship.

Cool, an all-time favourite

Author: Gary Jordan from Saltaire, England
18 July 2004

I was a teenager when "Starsky and Hutch" first came on TV. It made a great impression on me at the time and remains one of my all-time favourite shows. Having recently revisited the series with its release on DVD, I can see it has dated a little but is still very watchable... and they say you should never go back for fear of disappointment. In my opinion, it is the closest thing to "Dirty Harry" that US TV had at the time; and probably since. Soul and Glazer still rock and Dave and Ken are still cool, while Starsky's Red Torino remains the dream car for the forty-something teenager. Hutch's frequently overlooked motor was a tan-coloured 1973 Ford Galaxie 500 4-door sedan, if anyone was wondering. Thought not!

70's & 80's are gone...Not if I can help it.

Author: (sean.littletribefilms@btinternet.com) from London England
14 December 2000

This show rocked! Fast cars, people going over bonnets, paper blown down a side street. And the clothes. 70's ruled. TV now stinks of a smelly bin that was raided by a 90's producer who just finished film school. The characters cared, the camera was observing not interrupting, and the plot was simple, but effective. David Soul, Paul M.Glazer had style, grace, and a good sense of humour. As a film producer myself, I hope I can bring some of this old school back to the modern world. Enough said.

old-school TV series still rule

Author: Roger-Francis Chatelain (rogersfrancis@hotmail.com) from New York
21 April 1999

"Starsky and Hutch" is a very enjoyable TV series with its lovable characters and funny plots.

Two of the best cops in the city, played by Paul Michael Glaser (Det. Dave Starsky) and David Soul (Det. Ken "Hutch" Hutchinson) fight the crime and try to restore peace and quietness in the streets. Bernie Hamilton (Capt. Harold Dobey) and Antonia Fargas (Huggy) are among the other principal talents. The former plays the part of a never-happy-kind-of-guy police captain and Fargas is the cool street guy which is always willing to give good tips. Those tips eventually lead to the arrest of criminals.

"Starsky and Hutch" might seem dated and freaky nowadays, nonetheless, it stays, in my opinion, one of the greatest cop series of all time.

Surprisingly tough for a TV pilot

Author: frankfob from California
27 December 2004

As previously mentioned, this is a surprisingly gritty, dark and violent pilot for what would become one of the most popular TV shows of the '70s. While the series itself eventually evolved into (or degenerated into, depending on your point of view) a somewhat corny buddy-buddy show, you sure couldn't tell by this pilot. A couple is shot down on the streets of L.A. in a seemingly random killing, but the two detectives investigating the shooting discover that the couple was murdered by mistake--the actual targets were the detectives themselves. The pair then have to use all their wiles, skills and contacts in the city's seedy criminal underground to find out who is trying to kill them, and why. Soul and Glaser work extremely well together and play off each other as though they'd been doing it all their lives, the supporting cast is first-rate, the writing is sharp and clever, and it's very tightly directed by Barry Shear. It has exciting car chases, taut action scenes, some welcome humor, and the great chemistry between Soul and Glazer. A worthy effort from producer Aaron Spelling.

The original Professionals

Author: haseeb uddin ahmad (rajiaahmad) from blackburn, england
5 May 2003

This pilot for the successful TV series is a dark, gritty thriller which begins with a young couple being blown away in their car by two assassins. LA's toughest cops Dave Starsky and Ken 'Hutch' Hutchinson are called onto the scene, believing that they were the intended victims, so they roam the seedy streets, looking for answers. They then realise that there are bad guys on both sides of the law. Compared to the series, this TV movie is considerably more serious. Although Starsky has several witty lines and the chemistry between him and Hutch is apparent, people are gunned down in cold blood and the two heroes trust no one but themselves. Soul and Glaser are good and the action sequences are raw and exciting, featuring a downtown car chase, a punch-up inside a gangster's mansion and the climactic chase/gunfight. S & H are the guys who clearly paved the way for the likes of Bodie & Doyle and Crockett & Tubbs, with their humorous banter and crimefighting antics. The first 2 seasons of S & H were pretty tough and violent, until they were told to tone it down and it became more corny.

good whodunnit

Author: torino from Ontario Canada
11 May 1999

this is the pilot for the t.v series Starsky and Hutch. it has a great story as the detectives search for the two hit men hired to kill them. best line in movie has Starsky asking Hutch "who are we suposed to trust?" Hutch replies "me and thee".these two guys really care about each other,which is what made the following series so great.

Cult TV is born!

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
16 July 2002

When a car just like Starsky's is the target of a hit, the police suspect that the target was really Starsky and Hutch. The two cops decide to stay on the street and try to find out who wants them dead and why. However their informants tell them a much deeper tale.

The pilot for the original show doesn't have the cool music but it does have everything else that gave birth to the cult TV show. The plot isn't exactly going to set the world on fire but it is passable. However it does allow plenty of chance for Starsky to crack wise, Hutch to look good for the ladies, Huggy Bear to be cool and Dobey to shout and be gruff.

The action is very basic but is still fun – however it's hard to ascertain how good it would be if it wasn't already a cult classic. Soul is good and was always my mum's favourite – however I always preferred Glaser as the witty Starsky (and it was his car!). it's hard to imagine the world without Huggy Bear – and Fargas is still making a living off that one role all these years later!

Overall it's not as good as the TV show itself but this pilot has much in common with it and is well worth a watch – if only for the car, the jokes and those terrible cardigans.

Enjoyable but the fact it was made a series based on this surprises me a bit...

Author: MartinHafer from Bradenton, Florida
23 February 2017

Before I talk about this pilot movie for "Starsky and Hutch", I have an important confession....I have never seen the ensuing TV series. Yep, I was certainly old enough to watch it...just never did. However, my curiosity was piqued because this movie was an installment of "The ABC Movie of the Week"...and I've watched several dozen of these movies recently on YouTube. However, this pilot was not on YouTube (probably for copyright reasons), so I saw it on the first disc for the TV series...and it's available through Netflix.

The show begins with two tough assassins killing a young couple making out in a cool looking red and white Ford Torino. Why is the car important? It's the spitting image of Starsky's car and the cops immediately wonder if the murderers were actually trying to kill Starsky (Paul Michael Glaser) and Hutch (David Soul). Through the course of most of the film, the two detectives look for their would- be murderer...until they realize that the killings and motivations weren't exactly what they first thought.

This is a reasonably good cop film made for television...but never once did it scream out "This is so good it MUST become a TV series"! In the case of "The Six Million Dollar Man", the pilot movies clearly DID and were very unique and compelling. This film, on the other hand was good...but not great. Worth seeing but nothing particularly memorable.

By the way, when the two assassins are in their hotel room, I did enjoy seeing one of them (Richard Lynch) reading "The Age of Voltaire"...a very large and cerebral sort of book. This guy was no dummy and proves just how far in life you can go if you exercise your mind. Sadly, in a scene soon after this, you see the guy shoot at Hutch and the nearby car explodes...which was pretty stupid (and next to impossible).