IMDb > Act of Vengeance (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Act of Vengeance More at IMDbPro »

above-average feminist rape-revenge exploitation

Author: eegah-3 (eegah@hotmail.com) from Minneapolis, MN
10 October 2000

This film is most notorious for the portrayal of its rapist. He wears a janitor-like jumpsuit like Michael Meyers in Halloween (except it's bright orange) and wears a hockey mask like Jason in Friday the 13th 3-9. Did this nasty little flick influence both of those horror classics? The most bizarre part is that the rapist makes his victims sing Jingle Bells as they are raped. The actresses play their parts well considering the material, but I would have preferred to see more scenes of the women turning the table on male scum like when they beat up a pimp. Not recommended for first dates.

Part "TV Movie-Of-The-Week" - Part Sleazy Exploiter...

Author: EVOL666 from St. John's Abortion Clinic
11 December 2007

RAPE SQUAD is an odd-ball of an exploit film - it's shot to look like your typical made-for-TV movie, but contains all the sleaze elements that are common amongst the more notable exploit films.

The plot revolves around a hockey-masked serial-rapist who spouts of silly one-liners and makes his victims sing "Jingle Bells" as he bones them. A group of victims that all meet up to try to ID the rapist at a police line-up decide that the cops aren't taking a serious enough interest in their case, and decide to start a women's group to support and help rape victims. Along the way, hockey-mask surveils the women and in their attempts to try to smoke him out - Mr. Rapist devises his own plan to trap the "Rape Squad" so he can have a final bit of fun with them all collectively...

Honestly - RAPE SQUAD isn't nearly as sleazy or graphic as many of the more well-known rape/revenge films - but it's a solid entry in the genre. It's entertaining enough to keep interest and there's just enough sleaze to still appeal to the exploit fans out there. Not my favorite of the genre - but a "fun" piece nonetheless...7/10

The Jingle Bells Rapist Will Win Your Heart

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
6 December 2007

How about that. My first movie with the word "Rape" in the title and it's not Japanese! Unfortunately the Japanese are still the winners when it comes down to movies with the "Rape" in the title. But hell, this was still a nice effort.

Story focuses on a group of women who refer to themselves as The Rape Squad. Guess what they all have in common? Wrong! They've all been raped by the same guy! Jeez, how can you be so off? They all love the black guy from the Mod Squad....? Wow, awful guess. Anyways, they've all been raped by the same Hockey Mask, Orange Jumpsuit wearing rapist who loves the song Jingle Bells. Now they've joined forces and they're about to show these pushy men what real women can do! Rape Squad was a decent enough flick. There are many rape and revenge flicks out there that are much better, but this is definitely one to check out if you're a big fan of the genre. Checking out the Rapist alone is reason enough. It's tough to beat a confident, smooth talking rapist who dresses up like Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees combined. And the coolest thing is, this predates both of those movies by a couple years. Oh and he sings Jingle Bells. Whoever was writing this flick had their creative juices flowing big time. The movie suffers from a few lulls when the girls are just chit-chatting....but you gotta admit, it's realistic. And I was hoping for the movie to be a little more graphic, especially the ending, but hell, the movie entertained me enough. So yeah, if you're into rape/revenge films, give this baby a shot. 6.5 outta 10.

This movies DOES have its cake and eat it too

Author: lazarillo from Denver, Colorado and Santiago, Chile
16 April 2011

This is an interesting movie. On one hand, it is a completely earnest. TV-movie style flick about a group of women who have all been victimized by the "Jingle Bell rapist" and ban together to fight against piggish male behavior in general and eventually take on their hockey-masked, Christmas-caroling assailant. Of course, the women are also sexy as hell, frequently undressed, and ALWAYS under-dressed, which supposedly compromises the feminist message. Why? I'd reckon 100 percent of heterosexual men like to see sexy, undressed women, while maybe 2 percent (a lot of whom are already in prison) really want to see ANY woman violently raped (and I'm not talking about one of those ridiculous Japanese "rape" scenarios here). So for 98 percent of men there is no contradiction here. Many present-day filmmakers feel they need bow down to the altar of man-hating "feminists" like Andrea Dworkin who conflate any expression of male heterosexuality with rape, but I thank god 70's filmmakers didn't. And as for female viewers, are they only allowed to relate to rape victims if they are unattractive, butch lesbians who dress like Lizzie Borden on a cold day?

There are some ridiculous scenes (I know I always meet with MY vigilante gang while sitting naked in a hot tub). The end where the gang goes to a deserted zoo to confront the "Jingle Bell rapist" without the one woman who knows karate is pretty dumb. But this movie is also much more believable than most rape-revenge films in that the women don't immediately and easily turn into remorseless fighting/killing machines. Nothing is less believable than the modern-day "butt-kicking babe" stereotype where a 105lb. fashion model takes on guys three times her size just because she knows karate (and, of course, these big guys never do).

The gang here is led by Joanne Harris, who played the young girl who successfully seduces Clint Eastwood in "The Beguiled". I've seen Filipino actress Jennifer Lee in various films. Perennial cheesecake actresses Connie Strickland and Anneka DiLorenzo were both in the similar (but more misogynistic) "The Centerfold Girls". This movie is basically a much more naked and violent version of "Charlie's Angels". But, hey, there's nothing wrong with that. . .

Feminist rape and revenge film.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
30 September 2010

A rapist hidden behind hockey mask is on the loose.He forces his female victims to sing Jingle Bells during rape.A group of five women learn martial arts and team up to stop his dirty deeds."Act of Venegance" aka "The Rape Squad" has the special place in my heart,because it was along with Wes Craven's "Last House on the Left" the first rape and revenge flick I have ever seen.It's an odd and strangely unsettling thriller with sleaze and misogynistic violence.The script is lurid as it condemns the act of rape and sides with its victims but also presents those acts in an over-the-top and exploitative style.A must-see for exploitation fans.8 out of 10.

Rape/Revenge Movie good but not great

Author: jameswilliams784 from United States
27 November 2011

I thought this movie would be a good movie to watch. It has a couple of my favorite actors in Jo Ann Harris and Peter Brown, and I liked the idea behind the movie - rape victims getting together and trying to capture their rapist. However, I believe the film concentrates too much on the Rape Scenes, showing the Rapes once or twice would have been more than enough. And I absolutely hated them using Jingle Bells during the Rape Scenes.

This movie could have been made as a made for TV movie without the nudity and I think most people would have called it an OK movie. For me, there is way too much nudity and the acting is not very good. You get no idea why this guy is raping these women and that would be fine if the movie did not spend a considerable amount of time with him on the screen committing these attacks. For me this movie was OK, but not great.

Revenge, driven beyond it's extremity

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
19 August 2014

Better known as the more suited Rape Squad, here's a really nasty rape movie that hits you where it hurts, you women will be craving revenge. Here's another great example of these well made seventies hits, courtesy of American Pictures whoever, where the villain, is super nasty and twice as smart than the women, he brutally rapes. Oh yeah, the sick f..k also like his victims to sing fifteen bars of Jingle bells, his sexual turn on. This movie really tells the way the rape situation is, where honestly I've never be more effected or impressed by a rape film, this is a golden oldie to track down, truly. The latest victim Eve (Jo Ann Harris) who honestly has a dickhead of a boyfriend (a younger Steve Kanaly, before leaving his mark in Dallas) form a vigilante anti rape squad, who as our sicko describes, consists of "five young lovelies", one who's painful ordeal has turned her off men completely. These score of women, avenge their new friend's rape, from a club owner, in a scene you've gotta see, where his privates take a bit of a scalding. Rape Squad, I really liked with it's different plot of story, I really found it a tight compact drama, as the girl's hapless situations, after trying many attempts to overthrow this dangerously smart psycho, where one girl pays the ultimate price, seemed wholly believable, this movie will truly have that effect on you. you girl's will never want to see another guy, suffer more than this one. I loved Jo Ann Harris, after seeing her in only one other forgettable misfire of a horror film. She's sexy, especially when dancing in that gaudy blue outfit in that club, before that much deserved revenge of that owner ensues. Men really think they can get away with this. Even in that earlier scene, with those male showinist laborers, here's another angered moment, for the viewer too, as the women tuck flyers after their windshield wipers, one fiftie's guy has the gall to say "She was asking for it" How real is this movie? The crux of the film, too, never lets you forget how dangerous this bastard is, and it's simply on that fact, this part is even more intense. If by any one in a zillion chance, you come across this film, watch it. I truly wouldn't recommended it to past rape victims. It's too real and intense, and I empathize "Real", heavily.

let the revenge fit the crime

Author: trashgang from Midian
13 September 2011

People who are following me here on IMDb have seen that the latest flicks I did a review were a bit of a let down. Due to that reason I went into my archive to pick up an old exploitation that's still not available on DVD and still goes for an amount of money for a VHS. The copy I had was in perfect condition so I was glad by that and plugged it into the analog system. The director was Bob Kelljan but was on the credits as Robert Kelljchian. He only made 5 flicks but directed a lot of series like Charlie's Angels and Starsky and Hutch for example. Of all his flicks this is really a cheesy one. The humiliation of the Linda at the police office is one to see. But just watch the sexual predator. He's just wearing an orange jumpsuit, that surely predates Michael Myers. And his hockey mask, remember Jason Voorhees! It also contains a lot of nudity with girls don't wearing underwear. Man, those wear the days. And naturally due the let down of the coppers the poor victims are out for revenge and forms the Rape Squad. You don't watch it for the acting but just see the pimp getting into a fight with the victims, it's so over the top. The shouting at the whistling men, this is what we call a sleazy, exploitive fun flick. Funny to see that it wasn't that excessively graphic it was still banned in half dozen countries. Surely one to have in your collection

Effective entry in the rape-revenge genre.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
13 December 2011

Quite involving, entertaining 70's era trash that, like some other movies of its kind, actually successfully combines both exploitation and empowerment of women. A quintet of very angry women have something in common: they've all been raped by the same orange jump suit and hockey mask wearing lowlife whose greatest thrill is forcing them to sing "Jingle Bells". He clearly thinks of himself as some irresistible stud; to them, he's just a monster that needs to be stopped, and NOW, before more women can be hurt. They learn that depending on the police to do their job won't be of any use. One can't fail to notice the often very dim view that this screenplay (by David Kidd (billed as 'Betty Conklin'!) and H.R. Christian) takes of men: they're either scum or they're inept. Even the boyfriend of one of our vengeance crazed ladies doesn't feel much sympathy for her. Now, personally speaking, when I see a rape- revenge movie, it's the revenge portion that should really make it sing for me, and the revenge is worth waiting for, if a long time coming. Along the way, though, we do get treated to the sight of two red herrings getting humiliated in blatantly comedic sequences. Our merry rapist is quite the character, putting a lot of effort into his stalking and even taking the trouble to record his thoughts on tape! When he gets wind of the ladies' activities, he does an amusing job of messing with them and getting them to head where he wants them to go. For those who are demanding the requisite amount of female flesh, they can note the amount of breasts that are put on display. But it's really the main characters that keep the whole thing very watchable; they're easy enough to root for. The cast includes a bunch of lovely ladies, including Jo Ann Harris as our spunky lead, and a number of other familiar faces from 70's cinema: Peter Brown, Connie Strickland, Tony Young, Joan McCall, Penthouse Pet Anneka Di Lorenzo, and Marie O'Henry, as well as future 'Dallas' actor Steve Kanaly. The direction by Bob Kelljan (whose other work for A.I.P. includes "Scream Blacula Scream" and the two "Count Yorga" movies) keeps things moving along nicely. Only the finale, in which the ladies rather senselessly just head right into danger, and allow themselves to be separated (as well as the somewhat contrived way to get the rapist to remove his hockey mask and therefore make himself identifiable), detracts a little from the enjoyment. But overall trash fans are certain to have themselves a good time watching this. Eight out of 10.

Pure B-movie trash or progressive …err... B-movie trash?

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
29 August 2016

Every once and a while, you encounter a B-movie that you simply cannot fathom entirely, regardless of how many repeated viewings or how much time you spend contemplating about it… "Rape Squad" is such a modest but unfathomable exploitation product from the early '70s. Obviously this film isn't the biggest cinematic enigma ever made, but still you never really figure out to the fullest what director Bob Kelljan wanted to accomplish here. Just another sleazy and misogynic rape and revenge flick like there were so many others during this drive-in/grindhouse era? Or the first ambitious and truly courageous exploitation movie with honest feminist undertones and earnest indictments against the way rape victims are treated by the men in their surroundings? "Rape Squad" – or "Act of Vengeance", which sounds slightly more sophisticated – is often clumsy, amateurish and unintentionally comical, but the script nevertheless contains a few conceptually great ideas and passionate performances by the respectable female cast.

But, you know what? Perhaps I'm using too many complicated terms to describe a film that is called "Rape Squad"… After all, it's only a B-movie about a perverted scumbag in an orange jumpsuit and hockey mask that devotedly stalks and brutishly assaults poor women while he forces them to sing Jingle Bells and scream out that he's the greatest sex partner they ever had. The police treat the victims insensitively and don't undertake enough efforts to catch the serial rapist, and thus the women unite in a hot tub and decide to form their own vigilante squad. Led by mentally strong and stubborn Linda (Jo Ann Harris), they offer moral support and advice to other oppressed women, organize awareness campaigns, attend self-defense courses and embarrass small sex-offenders. But Linda's hatred against the Jingle Bells rapist is so enormous that her main objective remains seeking revenge against him. "Rape Squad" is a curious effort, with hit and miss moments and a couple of bizarre characters. The rapist – Jingle Bells – could easily have been one of the most memorably menacing exploitation anti- heroes of the seventies, what with his fierce outfit (I even wonder if he inspired the looks of both Michael Myers in "Halloween" and Jason Voorhees in "Friday the 13th") and violent modus operandi, but due to his endless babbling and stupid fetish for his own persona he actually becomes more of an annoying caricature. A handful of scenes, including the fate of the poor girl painting in the countryside and the finale in the abandoned zoo, are genuinely tense and unsettling, so overall I wouldn't hesitate for one moment to recommend the film to fans of the genre.