IMDb > How to Kill a Judge (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

How to Kill a Judge More at IMDbPro »Perché si uccide un magistrato (original title)

Where is the truth?

Author: esteban1747 from Spain
4 March 2007

During the 70s several films related to life in Sicily and Mafia's misdoing were made, most of them starred by Franco Nero. Probably this was the best acting period for Nero. The present film is a bit different from the others, its plot is original and I found it quite interesting. Giacomo Solaris (Nero) is a film-maker very much interested in all Mafia's deals. As a result of his work he came to some conclusions and assertions with a film he made regarding a Sicilian magistrate, and from here the plot starts and you will follow it in a labyrinth of issues. The film is also interesting because it shows the differences of the people speaking Italian from the North with the Sicilian population. For example, Nero pronounces Italian well while the Sicilians have a particular accent due to the influence of their local dialect. It also reflects well the environment in Sicilian towns. May be a modest film compared to others but good to see it.

Not enough from Damiani

Author: Nir Elizov from Israel
2 October 2006

I really love Damiani movies, I think that he is the best director from Italy that deals with the Mafia and political crimes, in a very realistic approach. His movies are always an intellectual feast for the mind. Unfortently Perché Si uccide un magistrato is not the case. The movie is to say the least boring and long. The story idea is very interesting, Franco Nero plays a director whose last film foreseen the murder of a supreme judge. It is the old question of propaganda cinema, is it really effecting and makes a difference. But as the story evolves we meet so many character's and politician, that it is getting confusing at times and misses the point. Franco Nero is charming as usually but even his passionate acting could not lift this movie from his problems. I was also expecting for some Italian grim action, but I was disappointed to find non, and I mean it. I cannot recommend this movie, but I can recommend on 2 other political/Mafia movies of Damiano 1) "A confession of a police commissioner". 2) "A man on his knee". If you can put your hands on them you will be rewarded.

Maybe I should re-watch this one now that I know what to expect.

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
21 April 2006

Giacomo Solaris (Franco Nero) has just made a film about the hypocrisy in the judicial system focusing on one particular judge and his ties with the Mafia. As life often imitates art, the real life judge he used as a basis for his character is brutally murdered just as in his movie. Solaris begins to weave his way through a web of corrupt politicians, mobsters, and those with a grudge against the judge to find the killer.

My rating for How to Kill a Judge is probably not a very good indicator as to the quality of this film. It's not that How to Kill a Judge is all that bad or anything, it's just that I was hoping for a different movie. How to Kill a Judge is a fairly entertaining drama with interesting characters, good locations, and a nice twist at the end. Franco Nero is as solid as ever and his scenes with Francoise Fabian are the standout moments of the film. There's some real chemistry between the two. The simplicity of the ending was refreshing, especially after having watched Franco go through the complicated and tangled web to reach the finale.

But, as I said, this is not the movie I wanted. I was hoping for an over-the-top polizia thriller similar to something like Syndicate Sadists or Almost Human. Instead of an action packed cop film, How to Kill a Judge is so dialogue heavy that it often gets dull. And, it doesn't help anything that the movie goes off in several different directions without any real purpose. A tighter script and a little more action would have gone a long way to making How to Kill a Judge the movie I was looking for.