IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 10 of 63: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

First and best movie from the minds of Monty Python

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
18 May 2008

I remember when I first heard that Monty Python had made a movie, I rushed to get a copy from my local video store. I did not know what to expect except a good film.

The film is so clever and goes from scene to scene brilliantly while keeping the viewer entertained. Graham Chapmen does a good job as the lead role and the humour displayed in this movie is so funny that it makes up for the last 10 years of Hollywood.

Overall, the show is hilarious and is almost as good as the show. The other movies are funny but none are this good. Watch this movie whoever you are. The movie kicks so much ass it is amazing. I rate this film 89%.

Fun start to Finish

Author: smhb_inc from United States
11 March 2008

In this modern world of bad movies we have several hundred classics which made it through that are worth remembering. This is one of those films. A+ Film for ladies who want to understand their man. Boys love this film. "Holy Grail" and "This is Spinal Tap" and two of the most important films of this era as far as comedy. but the Grail rules for most quotes in one film. From the start it's a scene by scene extravaganza of gags, sketches and coconuts that will leave even the most hardened heart warmed with British Cheekiness. As many of you know Monty Pythons Flying Circus was a big British hit in the late 60's and early 70's before the Python troupe made their trip into film. This is their first attempt, Holy Grail and it's their best. There's not a man upon this planet who should die without knowing of Roger the Shrubber and the Knights who say Knee. There are some questionable moral dilemmas placed before Arthur and his Knights on their quest for the Grail. All in all, one of the best films to come out of the mid 70's and one of the most influential comedies of all time. A Testament to the equivalent of America's Saturday Night Live Cast, Monty Python were much more consistently funny and remained together like the Stooges.

Funny Monty Python Style

Author: wolfentertainment from United States
13 December 2007

Monty Python has been known for doing comedy in their own style and this one is no exception. From the very beginning the film starts with King Arthur riding his "horse" and searching for the Holy Grail and from then on it's just a funny ride thru a bunch of silly stuff. From "the knights who say NI" to the "killer rabbit" and to the silly animations that's typical for this comedy group. It can sometimes get tiresome because there is NON-STOP comedy in this, but still there are some jokes that are forever to be stuck in your head! Over all an 8/10 for taking on history, flipping it over and shaking it about! If you do not understand British kind of funny, then I think it's best you go back to watch "Something About Mary" or whatever.

You're crazy not to like it!

Author: I_am_Jacks_Revenge from Canada
14 August 2007

This is how 6 guys can become the majority of characters in a movie about King Arthur and royally SCREW IT UP COMPLETELY!!!! This one of the funniest movies that I have seen in my life!! Disagree if you may, but these guys were the kings of comedy. Graham Chapman (RIP), John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin were the geniuses behind it all.

King Arthur (Graham Chapman) and his trusty companion Patsy are trotting in the fog..... with coconut halves to impersonate horse clomping. What the f**k? I couldn't help but laugh. When they reach a castle, two guards are asking how they got coconut halves. "We found them." "What? In Mercia? The coconuts are tropical." "What do you mean?" "This is a sub-temperate zone." "So? It could be carried." I'm not going to keep going on because I know that I will not stop. Along the way, King Arthur and Patsy come along the Black Knight, who is fighting a green knight, and eventually stabs a sword into the green knight's head. It's really fake. King Arthur tries to pass him, but must fight the Black Knight. He ends up cutting his arm off.

"You fight well, good Sir knight, but the fight is mine." "You sissy." "What? You're arm is off!" "No it isn't." "Look!!" "Just a scratch." He cuts the other arm. "'Tis a flesh wound." Then he cuts a leg off. Arthur says, "What're you gonna do, bleed on me?" He ends up cutting his other leg off as well. "Alright," Arthur says, "we'll call it a draw." It's really hilarious to watch that scene, especially the "'tis a flesh wound" part.

Over the course of the movie, Arthur comes across people who like to burn witches because they look like one. He gathers followers who are asked to come to Camelot, but then the silly song comes up, and then... "You know, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place." They are asked by God to seek the Holy Grail; also, to stop shielding their eyes. "It's like those miserable Psalms. They're so depressing." They would find many adventures along the way, including a castle full of sexy girls, a three-headed knight, a killer monster, a seemingly harmless creature, and parts that will make you think "What the hell were these guys thinking??!!!!"

This is a great Monty Python movie. Watch it and you'll see why. Or you can disagree with me completely and think that it's a total waste of time. Your pick.

Do Not Watch This Film...

Author: carlsen1
3 March 2007

...if you do not enjoy silly, random, absurd, meaningless humour -- if you were absent on the day silliness was passed out -- if you are taken with "serious cinema" to the point where you continuously are looking for the "point" -- if you are a medievalist and have read far too much about the Way the Dark Ages Really Were -- or if you are just not in the mood...

Do Not Watch This Film.

You will not think the ravenous rabbit is funny, you will not be interested in the migratory patterns of coconuts (let alone African sparrows), you will hate the knights who say ni! and the ones who say booga-booga-booga even more, you will get tired of the sound of clocking coconuts, you will wonder why the damn black knight doesn't just freaking give up or at least fall over already, and you will certainly not enjoy the songs, the dancing and the general mayhem that is this movie.

On the other hand, if you think you might be slightly interested or if you are nailed to your chair and cannot reach the remote and this very strange Norwegian title comes up on the screen accompanied by some rather overly dramatic music for a man in a funny hat not riding a horse, put on your silly hat and prepare yourself for what I must in all honesty, after at least 25 viewings over more years than I care to recount, give 10 out of 10 stars.

And that's really where it all ends, visually at least.

Timeless classic

Author: decalife from United States
26 November 2006

The use of allegory and sarcasm in this Monty Python movie makes it the greatest comedy ever made. 10 out of 10. The knights who no longer say Ni! The Holy Grail look alike beacon. Sir Robin Camelot song and dance Encounter with God British peasant in favor of democracy Tim and the encounter with the rabbit All in all a great film and comedy.The use of allegory and sarcasm in this Monty Python movie makes it the greatest comedy ever made. 10 out of 10. The knights who no longer say Ni! The Holy Grail look alike beacon. Sir Robin Camelot song and dance Encounter with God British peasant in favor of democracy Tim and the encounter with the rabbit All in all a great film and comedy. great movie, Decalife

a classic

Author: kittiwake-1 from United States
23 September 2006

Monty Python, famous British acting troupe, does good. If you like irreverent humor, The Flying Circus series, or any of the single actors, you will LOVE this movie. We own it. There was no question of whether to buy it. We have the DVD collection which has quite a bit of the movie's history included. We enjoy the extras almost as much as the movie itself. The plot was hilarious, the comic timing incredible, and the direction stunningly fabulous. My son (12) loves the movie. We skip over a certain part, where Sir Galahad has his little adventure, for my son. Other than that, it's pretty "clean" as far as Monty Python goes. Go over the list of actors and you'll see just how low-budget this film was. And for all that, it still is an incredible movie. If you like this one, check out The Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life. (Make sure you read the summaries first. These are more irreverent to my way of thinking and my son has not seen them yet.) Buy the movie. Pop some popcorn, sit in the dark with your loved ones, and laugh your head off. What a fabulous movie!

Pure comedy. A couple of spoilers but only scratches the surface of a classic.

Author: christopher-vivian from United Kingdom
23 April 2006

I think the best way to sum up this film is the advertisement: "Makes Ben Hur look like an Epic". The problem is that 'Ben Hur' is an Epic. But you'll scratch your head wondering if 'Ben Hur' is actually an Epic. Of course, it is one of the Epics of the 20th Century.

Confusing, but watch 'Monty Pyton and The Holy Grail' and you'll be entertained. The King of England (in the dangerous times of the Dark Ages) is called Arthur and his Knights (carefully selected by him) are charged by God to search for the Holy Grail. Of course, they never actually find The Grail, and they never were going to find The Grail in the first place. That is the beauty of the film. I think maybe they suggested that a film has to have a plot to succeed, and they made a mockery of that. You don't have to. Or maybe the French got there first.

I like the scene when John Cleese, acting as Sir Lancelot, attacks Swamp Castle. Beforehand, he reads a note from (what he thinks to be) a fair maiden being trapped into an enforced marriage. So he goes to save her. He massacres everyone in sight.

Another good bit is when Sir Robin has to stop his minstrels singing about how brave he is and how he wouldn't mind suffering a horrible death confronting enemies, and he's probably thinking 'I'm not that brave'.

Anyway, only two classic examples out of the whole film. Enjoy.

The Monty Python stars have done it again. In a fun adventure, battling the French and swallows, to achieve their prospect of getting the Grail.

Author: kitties321 from United States
5 March 2006

The Monty Python Stars have done it again. They have made another movie to enjoy us all. While playing multiple roles, and depicting the old tale of the Holy Grail in a new way, they have informed us of the troubles of finding it. From the Rabbid Bunny to the cartoon drawn Monster. And from trying to figure out what a swallow is and battling with the French. Though the French, one of the mainly pointed at jokes amongst the cast. In the end the French reach the castle and really they weren't back in the middle ages but were actually in the near future. It works out to be a very interesting comedy in which I have grown to love and own. This is definitely one to be kept above the VCR.

Python Silliness Still Holds Up in Special Two-Disc Set

Author: Ed Uyeshima from San Francisco, CA, USA
5 March 2006

With the opening of Mike Nichols' and Eric Idle's "Spamalot" on Broadway last month, it's a good time to revisit the 1975 comedy classic that inspired the musical. Thirty years have elapsed since its original release, but it is still a movie that veers wildly back and forth between hilariously inventive and downright silly. If you can hold on tight, it's a worthwhile ride. Almost arbitrarily about a band of adventurers looking for the famed Holy Grail, the movie is just an excuse to create a nonsensical world steeped in medieval history and comically ironic violence. Directed by Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones, it is typical Monty Python fare, which means a lot of clever wordplay and elaborate sight gags with big payoffs. The story begins with King Arthur and his page Patsy galloping on their invisible horses with their clapping coconut half-shells, as they search for worthy knights to take back to Camelot. From there, we meet a cast of characters that only makes sense in Python-land: an increasingly armless and legless Black Knight with a chip on his shoulder, a big Trojan Horse-like wooden rabbit, some disrespectful Frenchmen, castle-bound nymphomaniac maidens, the knights who dare to say "Ni!", a pedantic historian in the present day and even God, who seems rather impatient with the befuddled knights as He explains their quest for the Holy Grail. Amid these disparate elements, the film holds together as a clever satire on blind pious ignorance and the unquestioning acceptance of organized religion. The pacing gets sluggish toward the end, but the conclusion is riotous and just in time.

Well packaged, the two-disc set has several extras. The main menu on the first disc is funny in itself with an option for the hard of hearing. There are two alternative commentary tracks. The first is newer and features Idle, John Cleese and Michael Palin; the second was recorded much earlier with Gilliam and Jones. Both are informative but only fitfully funny since they defer to the movie. The second disc has "Mindless Sing-Alongs!", where three scenes are taken from the film and subtitled so that once can sing along to the amusing "Knights of the Round Table" (which inspired the Broadway show title, "We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam a lot."), "Sir Robin" or chant along in "Monk's Chant". There is a hysterical little "educational" short entitled "How to Use Your Coconut" and two scenes dubbed in Japanese. But the highlight is a 45-minute documentary called "The Quest for the Holy Grail Locations," in which Jones and Palin explore the various film locations with humor and a sense of deserved nostalgia. Other features include a mock interview with the cast done during the filming, a Lego version of "The "Knights of the Round Table" song and various sundry features suitable primarily for a Pythonite. For non-Pythonites, the film is still worth a look at a comedy that only looks better with all the witless dreck produced now.