IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 9 of 65: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

"Is that an African swallow?"

Author: kclambeth from United Kingdom
10 April 2008

I love this film and slightly prefer it to the Life of Brian (which is hilarious) I only saw this for the first time last year and was so glad i finally got to see it after many years of wanting to.

The Pythons have such a unique style of comedy that at the time was groundbreaking, it's not as shocking or controversial by today's standards but the point is they weren't afraid to take risks or not do something for fear of looking stupid.

Set in legendary King Arthur's England, King Arthur (played brilliantly by Graham Chapman) and his knights set upon a quest to find the holy grail. The quest takes them to the most ludicrous places (like the castle Anthrax) and they face the most bizarre situations (the bridge of death to name but one) and meet some peculiar characters including the Knights of Ni.

The acting is great with Chapman as King Arthur and the other pythons playing many small roles, each very talented and individually skilled. There are many laughs, my favourite part being the conversation about the migrating swallows. I really enjoyed this film and think more young people should see it, it is one of the few films labelled as a comedy that actually makes me laugh.

Although it is over thirty years old, it doesn't feel dated to me, it has a contemporary feel to it and i think it will still be popular in thirty years time. This is in my opinion the best film they have done; 'Life of Brian' is a close second but wasn't too impressed with 'the meaning of life'.

Anyways a must see and deservedly in the top 250.

This will always rate as one of the funniest movies of all time

Author: jupitergal2 from Maine
9 September 2007

This is a movie that makes me laugh out loud from beginning to end, any and every time I see it. Usually, even the funniest of movies can make you laugh out loud only on the first and second viewings, and then the jokes aren't so new and so only make you smile, but this movie is the rarest of exceptions. So many of the jokes and lines are quotable over and over, or at least until your unenlightened friends (those who don't appreciate Monty Python, the poor deluded souls) stop inviting you over.

After seeing this great take on the King Arthur legends and then studying Medieval literature in grad school, I sure wish the Monty Python guys would have also taken on Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales!" But you don't have to be familiar with the literary background to enjoy this movie, although if you are, there's much more to enjoy.

When I try and decide who my favorite Python guy was, I usually think of Michael Palin and John Cleese first (can't decide between the two of them), but they all made me laugh in such different ways...Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons...I only wish they would have had the chance to do much more together.

Nonsense as an art form!

Author: Benedict_Cumberbatch from Los Angeles, CA
26 June 2007

I finally saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" after seeing the hilarious, Tony Award-winning Broadway musical "Spamalot!", which was based on it. I loved both (the musical is even funnier in my opinion, if that's possible).

The tale of King Arthur (the great Graham Chapman) and his knights' quest for the Holy Grail is just an excuse for some marvelous gags as you watch an exciting adventure that includes French soldiers, flying cows, a Killer Rabbit, and knights who say "Ni!".

This is the first Monty Python film I watched (I was long overdue, can't wait for the others!). Chapman, Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin knew the exact mixture of nonsense and highbrow, and if that's your cup of tea, you'll enjoy it as much as I did. One of the best films of its genre, I give it a 10/10.

Classic Silliness

Author: Connor Bailey (connorbailey@sbcglobal.net) from United States
21 January 2007

King Arthur is on a quest for Camelot, so he recruits some of the bravest knights in the land (well, all but one) to join him at Camelot. But, sadly, 'tis a silly place, so they change their minds. God, though, has other plans for them. He charges them to seek out the Holy Grail, so the Knights of the Round Table embark on a low budget search for the Cup of Christ, encountering very many silly obstacles.

The low-budget nature of this movie astounds me. It is simply one of the funniest movies ever made. John Cleese, Grahm Chapman, Michael Palin, Terry George, Terry Gilliam, and Eric Idle portray many men in this hilarious skit-filled saga. Each Python member is so diverse in their performances it took me a few viewings to realize their different characters.

Filled with many classic hilarious moments from the swallow argument ("Are you suggesting swallows migrate?"), to the Black Knight ("It's just a flesh wound!"), to the Killer Bunny ("Run away!"), this movie will have you quoting the memorable lines of dialog that the Pythons are so clever at dreaming up.

This movie is so ridiculous and original that it will never be duplicated (even though people sure have tried). But what is very funny is the way that the Pythons throw away the most ridiculous things instead of addressing them up front. Surely the background is a great example--people banging cats against the wall for no reason, filling baskets with mud, banging heads on wooden planks--it's all very silly.

Overall, if you haven't seen Python, then you haven't seen comedy.

How can you not think this movie is funny?

Author: ajlposh from United States
27 October 2006

Really, how can't you? This is one of the funniest movies of all time, and you can't fight that. I see why it's in the Top 250. So many quotable lines, lots of funny moments, and more. Me and my friends quote this movie frequently. It is so funny, I can't think of just one particular part or quote that is my favorite. However, some of my favorites are the black knight scene (I'll bite your legs off!), the french guard scene, the knights who say "Ni," and the scene with Dennis. This is a hilarious movie, and everyone should see it. Put "See Monty Python and the Holy Grail" on your "things to do before you die" list.

Be prepared for being mish-mashed

Author: areksmolka from Ireland
23 October 2006

I bought that film a month ago. The choice was simple- I had many other possibilities but I hesitated no more than three second. I used to watch other Python's movies so I knew what I would be given to. Till that time there is no one day when I say to myself " Arek, time for watching". Every day I must switch on my PSP, wear my headphones, and jump to bed just to forget about everything apart from "The Holy Grail". I know 90 per cent of the dialogues by heart and I regret nothing, I repeat, none second was wasted:) My sense of humor is just as one, presented in Monty Python's movies, especially in "The Holy Grail". I find something special there, which makes me feel better for the rest of a day. I recommend that film, dialogues, characters, plot to everyone interested and even if there are some goofs here in that film ( several has been already sent to a producer), rarely do I have the opportunity to find something comparable to "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

The best python movie ever made.

Author: tiina whatsit from Finland
3 September 2006

This is the best of the python movies. yes, it doesn't have a plot, really, but the comedy in this movie is so superb that you don't even notice the plot missing.

Graham Chapman is the one thing that makes Holy Grail look like a proper movie. He plays the only serious character, King Arthur. Any other python couldn't play it better or even as well as Graham.

Holy grail is a lo-budged movie, but it doesn't mean that it looks tacky or it's not shot in a proper set. The scenery looks absolutely fabulous and Terry G. and Terry J. did an amazing job with directing it together.

Other pythons also did their parts very well, especially Eric, Mike and John.

Almost painfully good.

Author: sirmichael-1 from United Kingdom
24 May 2006

This is one of about three films that I have absolutely nothing bad to say about. The acting is superb, the plot and writing are masterful, and the effects (as usual for the pythons) just connect with me on some level that makes them seem perfect. What i'm about to say may well be cliché'd, but I don't care. The low budget actually improves the film, it adds to the charm the rest of the film exudes so well. There are two reasons I can think of for anyone to not like this film.

1) Not being English and not getting our humour. 2) Being a fool.

Neither of these detract from the film's perfection. In fact it's probably better than not everyone loves the film; it prevents it from stagnating. To anyone not familiar with the pythons or British humour in general I wholeheartedly recommend this film - you'll never watch anything else.

In fact, it wasn't well thought out...

Author: melladh
21 May 2006

Jokes such as these, with the brilliance it has, is something we do like to think of as well thought out. But as mentioned in the jubilee interview with the surviving python boys, it wasn't as much as all that. For one, Graham Chapman, brilliant actor that he was, never the less remained very drunk through the entire filming of this movie. He'd say one line, and then shout "line!", and be given the next one. This is however nothing he lets on on screen - it's not editors trickery, he really did his part perfectly (as long as he remembered the lines!)

One main event of the movie are of course the coconuts. THIS is something that was really not meant to be. As also mentioned in the interview, it was a mistake. They got up there, where ever they were filming, and realized that they'd forgotten horses. How can you do a movie such as this without horses? And that's the origin of the coconuts. They actually, really, forgot the horses for the movie.

However, managing it even though that mistake was made, I find to be even more impressive than having something so greatly thought out. Being able to pull it off, on the fly, and making it better than it could have been had they remembered the horses in the first place... that's true cleverness.

Beautiful Absurdity

Author: Gregory Anderson from United Kingdom
13 April 2006

To watch this film aptly you must know three things. First, you must expect no overarching narrative. Second, you must realise these characters will be one-dimensional, at best. And third, you must tell me what is average air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? Pray that you must never cross the gorge of eternal peril. Except when venturing near Castle Anthrax, where the punishment of oral sex with 17-19 blondes and brunettes awaits the foolhardy. Instead sit down, stay still, and appreciate the consistently spot-on sketches from the Python boys.

Now for something completely different. This is a mind-expanding film, scathing of the mythology that built these fair islands of Blighty. Classic lines, completely confident, a crew and cast having fun. This is a film to show your grandchildren. Just remember to ask them, "African or European?" AAA...