IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 9 of 66: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

excellent movie

Author: akelly908 from United States
7 April 2005

I love the holy grail. the first time i seen the movie i didn't really understand it but when i actually got around to watching the movie i found the weird humor funny and not over drawn. the humor in the movie is what brings the movie together. from the first battle ("it's just a scratch") to the taunting from the french soldiers, then the knights who say Ni! i think it that movie is for people that have a weird sense of humor. It's definitely not a movie that u invite your family over to watch but yet a movie that u watch with your friends when u have nothing better to do and need a good laugh. i think that the movie is great, and believe it or not there are other people out there to that have never heard of the movie but are willing to sit down and watch it. it's a low budget movie but i think that that's what also makes the movie so good. me and my friend at work enact senses from the movie at work just to lighten the mood at a stressful work environment. i def. recommend this movie

a well known classic

Author: emengy from Israel
6 January 2005

It's a must for British humor lovers. Since its the Monty Python we are talking about, it taks time to get into that kind of humor but whenever you are in take good care of your stomach because it's going to hurt a lot. Prases from this movie had enter everywhere which only prove its classic status but beware if you're not used to British humor.

I'm saying that because I sent once my brother to watch the film and he returned desapointed but after we sat again together he almost fell to the floor :)

Conclusion: You must see it even if to find one this is not your style or just to know what other people talking about.

Worthy of the Title 'Holy'

Author: crazylady003 from Washington DC
11 September 2004

Oh, don't get me wrong. This wasn't the greatest movie of all time, but it was excellent. I find the British brand of dry humour to be a superior one. I realize that there are plenty of people who would rather sit back and watch Adam Sandler, but this is classic. You have, in essence, possibly the most famous British legend of all time and the masters of the trade (the Pythons), and out of it you get a wild excursion filled with corny jokes and lame surprises, but presented in such an excellent way that you ADORE the film by the time it's done.

True, the Pythons did a lot of other works, but this is their masterpiece (in my opinion anyway). So if you didn't watch it, or didn't like it, I strongly urge you to watch it again. There is nothing better than sitting down with a bag of popcorn and enjoying the spoof of a guy to prissy to clean his own gauntlets. So enjoy yourself. Choke on the kernels while watching the entire Python clan fight off loony foes and battle unexplicably odd odds.

HA-HA!!!

Author: luvsong4no1 from CA, USA
2 August 2004

I still laugh! Monty Python and the Holy Grail, what a combination! Amazingly funny events from the coconut scene, the witch scene, Dennis and Repression scene to Scene 24, who doesn't love this movie? Michael Palin, as always, funny as hell. Eric Idle, adding his own twist of magnificence, Graham Chapman once again assuming the lead role of the movie, John Cleese is perfect as the French Knight, Terry Gilliam is wonderful as Sir Bederive and of course Terry Jones as Patsy. Cheesy effects, but come on, it was made in 1975. We can only expect so much.

If you don't think Monty Python is funny, you probably are just too serious or stupid to understand it's genius humor.

The hilarious tail of king Aurther and his Quest to find the holy grail

Author: philwiese1 from United States
16 May 2003

best movie ever some of the funnyest sceens in the world and if you don't like it I will be forced to saaayyyyy NI NI NI NI NI NI the basic plot of the movie is not realy their but the comidic performances from the whole cast is worth seeing the movie for

Author: sevenpoint9
13 May 2003

Contains spoilers! Monty Python and the Holy Grail, directed by Terry Gilliam in 1975, is a story set in 932 AD. Gilliam used the off-the-wall humor that is the staple of the Monty Python films and shows. It follows British King Arthur as he searches for knights to join him at the round table in Camelot. The film begins with Arthur coming into the scene on what sounds like his horse. We soon find out that he has a companion merely clicking coconut shells together to make the sound; we see this throughout the movie. Eventually Arthur finds a knight and asks him to join his party. But the knight refuses, and also denies Arthur passage through the forest. A classic battle ensues with Arthur dismembering the knight leaving it only its torso and head. Comically, the knight is not dead and continues to bad mouth Arthur as he rides off. Along the way he does finally acquire a group of knights, most notably Sir Launcelot, Sir Galahad, and Sir Robin. As they venture to Camelot they receive a quest from God: to find the Holy Grail. They split up and each head on their separate searches for the grail. Each group encounters many strange challenges along the way. The `brave' Sir Robin, most notable for being a coward, is accompanied by his minstrels. They sing praise of his bravery along the way until the finally come about a three-headed knight. They eventually sneak away while the three head are bickering. The minstrels continue to sing; only now about his cowardly fleeing of the knight. During Sir Galahad's search, he sees an image of a grail flashing above a castle. He runs to the castle to find it occupied with sex-deprived women, but no grail. Just as Galahad is happily about to engage in various acts with the women, Launcelot comes and takes him away, thinking that he's saving Galahad. Next, Arthur's clan encounters the Knights of Ni. The Knights of Ni are tall creatures with masks in all black whose vile attack is saying `ni' to passers. They request Arthur find them a shrubbery. When Arthur returns with the shrub, they request another one as well as ask them to `cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring.' Arthur is saved when Robin stumbles along and they begin to talk. Robin uses the word `it' at sometime, which happens to be the Knight's weak point. Many other odd encounters occur along the way to their unsuccessful quest for the Grail. All of which are equally ridiculous as the ones I described. The whole crew of Monty Python does a wonderful job using their outlandish senses of humor to make this one of the most hilarious movies of all time.

One of the greatest comedies ever

Author: GeorgeBailey from Bedford Falls
20 April 2003

The Black Knight. The Trojan Rabbit. The taunting Frenchman. The Witch Trial. The philosopher peasant. And the list goes on and on. This film showcases the Python's amazing imagination.

Some may claim that "Airplane" or "Blazing Saddles" is funnier. Let me highlight one scene that elevates Monty Python's humor over all others. We start out with King Arthur and his servant Patsy "riding" over the plains. As they crest the hill, the sound of the horses is revealed to be Patsy simply banging two coconuts together to create the sound. Now, most comedians (Mel Brooks, the Zuckerman brothers) would've stopped there with that visual gag. The Python's brilliance lies in what they do next. King Arthur get's into an argument with another man over the coconuts. Where did King Arthur get the coconuts? How could they arrive in Britain? The conversation is even funnier than the visual sight gag.

The funniest film ever made.

And Now For Something COMPLETELY Different!!!

Author: ceva-1 from St.Petersburg, Russia
31 January 2003

Well, my dear friends... I have to say that this movie is absolutely brilliant. It is even more that funny - it's wacky, strange, uproarisly silly and off-the-wall crazy. It brings so much joy and happiness, so it certainly will recharge your batteries, even if you're are dead. (Remember the second scene, huh?)

What else can I say? This film is an instant classic - with outstanding performances by Graham Chapman as King Arthur (I'm still so sorry that he's dead!), John Cleese, who is supposed to be my favourite foreign actor (it was him who brought so much joy and pleasure in the movie), Eric Idle (his long nose and eyebrows will drive you mad!), Terry Jones (one of the Directors) and Michael Palin (I'm so hooked with his craziness!). And, of course, the bizarre Direction and offbeat cartoon bits by Terry Gilliam. Watch it immediately. It will bring some sense into your boring miserable life. I promise! And please - do not offend Frenchmen, o'kay?

Hysterical and hilarious - Quite simply one of the best comedies of all time

Author: ritual_funk from Lulea, Sweden
18 January 2003

I watched this movie several years ago and I literally laughed until I cried. Then I laughed some more. I recommend this strongly to anyone that likes comedy. And as for the person that has the "main-review" on this film: Talk about no sense of humour... come on mate, lighten up!

Superb brittish humour at it´s best, Monthy Python does it again!

The most wicked movie ever made and also the funniest!

Author: freddie_m99 from Sweden
27 December 2002

This isn't just another movie about knights this is The Quest For The Holy Grail, with the worlds finest comedy group, the Monty Pythons.

King Arthur is given the quest to find the holy grail. he and the knights around the round table.

The Movie where nothing is what you think it will be, is filled with wicked characters and well... wicked things in general. The Movie starts with King Arthur and his servant Patsy beginning the quest. as they travels further other Knights such as Brave Sir Robin, Sir Lancelot and many other knights join up. they stand before the challenge of their life to find the Grail! But many difficulties awaits them and many of them are either strange or just wicked.

There are many unforgettable scenes and even more unforgettable quotes. The Actors and actresses are making the roles of their lives and the script is as close to perfect a script can be.

Its very unpredictable!!!!

This movie isn't like any other movie you've seen except maybe "Life O Brian". I can guarantee you that even if you so only liked one MP sketch you will like this one. The best comedy ever! and its REAL comedy. If this movie wont make you laugh i don't know what movie could.

SEE IT! and if u don't watch it well suit your self.