IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 9 of 62: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Watch This

Author: 72 virgins from United States
25 April 2012

This film is the most well-rounded, unbelievably funny films throughout history. The film is a timeless classic for a few reasons: the hilarious plot, the great directing, and the stupendous acting. This film's success in plot can not be measured in any way that would do it justice. The initial scene that introduces the viewer to the film is simply unforgettable. The film can owe part of its success to the great directing style that was essential to the film. Also the film would never have seen such praise if it were not for the brilliant cast that depicted their character so vibrantly. In conclusion, the film was in every way superior to the scale used to even rank films. This film was not only a success, it blew that out of the water. This film is a must see.

You Left Asking More Questions!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
9 April 2012

I actually saw the Broadway musical of "Spamalot," based on this movie. While there were funny and memorable moments like when the killer rabbit appears and attacks the soldiers, this film can be confusing and you wonder what you're watching but it's still enjoyable. It takes place during the plague when almost everybody died and even there has a sense of humor. If you're not a Monty Python fan, you may not appreciate nor understand the humor of the film. Still, it's a comedy but a dark comedy with a great cast like John Cleese, Michael Palin, and many more. The ending was confusing to say the least and there were no actual credits on my DVD. Still, you have to see it once to appreciate the mockery of old British stories which is what it's aiming at like "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" and "The Canterbury Tales." You just sit back and enjoy without having to think too much about it.

King Arthur and his knights embark go on a humorous quest for the holy grail

Author: JMSchmidtty from United States
23 March 2012

This film is arguably the funniest film of all time. It captures the absurdity Monty Python brought with "Flying Circus" and turns it into a laugh-a-minute comedy. It has many great scenes in it, but my favorite has to be the sequence at swamp castle. It also has several great moments of absurdity in it, such as "The Knights who say 'Ni'". The members of Monty Python all do great jobs in the film, with Graham Chapman's performance as King Arthur, Michael Palin's performances as Sir Galahad, the head of the Knights Who Say Ni, and as the King of Swamp Castle, John Cleese's performance as Sir Lancelot, Eric Idle's performance as "Sir Robin the Not-Quite-as-Brave-as-Sir-Lancelot", Terry Jones' performance as Sir Bedevere and Terry Gilliam's animation (as well as his performance as Prince Herbert).

A Comedy Legend; I Love It

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
23 February 2012

I've noticed that Monty Python is one of the most polarizing franchises I've encountered. A lot of people I know either love it or hate it, with few falling somewhere in between. I consider myself a casual fan. I've seen some of the television series, and I absolutely love HOLY GRAIL. For the record, I've never seen LIFE OF BRIAN and I've only seen bits and pieces of MEANING OF LIFE (and it didn't grab me the same way HOLY GRAIL did). Honestly, the first time I saw this movie I didn't really care for it. Absurdist humor hadn't really been my thing at the time, but the movie grew on me. Next thing I knew, I was buying my own copy, watching it multiple times, and planning on seeking out the rest of the Monty Python films. What's the movie about? It's all right there in the title: the story of the Holy Grail as seen through the eyes of some of the funniest men to come out of Britain. King Arthur (Graham Chapman) is tasked by God to search the lands for the mystical Holy Grail. Aiding him in his quest are Sir Lancelot the Brave, Sir Bedevere, Sir Galahad the Pure, and Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir-Lancelot, and their quest will take them to the far reaches of the land where they will encounter beautiful maidens, dangerous evils, and, well, the French. The whole movie is as if a Monty Python sketch was extended to a feature runtime, but unlike an SNL skit receiving the same treatment, it works.

This movie is hilarious. That's all there is to it. I've watched it a half dozen times and it never gets old. It ages perfectly, too. It may have been made in the mid-70s, but the fact that it's meant to be a goofy low-budget comedy means that aging special effects don't mean a thing as long as it continues to make people laugh. Even people who haven't seen the movie have probably heard its dialogue quoted ad nauseam ("'Tis but a scratch!") or would recognize the Knights Who Say Ni! Skip around the lawn while clacking a couple of empty coconut shells and most people will get the joke, while the rest will probably just think you've lost your mind. MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL is a classic at the pinnacle of many top ten lists for favorite comedies. Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin are comedic geniuses. You've got to give them serious credit for being able to put together such a hilarious film while at the same time doing 99% of the speaking roles in the films themselves. There isn't a whole lot I can say about this movie short of showering it with love. Anyone who's a fan of the most absurd British humor will (or more likely already have) fallen in love with this movie. Beware the Black Beast of Aaaaauuuugggggghhh and don't go trusting seemingly innocent white rabbits.

"Looks like there's dirty work afoot!"

Author: classicsoncall from United States
24 November 2011

I don't go for straight slapstick, but when you have witty writing and dialog, along with clever sound and sight gags, I can get on board pretty easily. Irreverent is OK too as long as it's not being done maliciously, and I didn't get that sense of it in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Here you have some inspired lunacy, even though it won't be for everyone's taste. Still you have to give it a shot just to have that well rounded viewing experience.

You'll also get a kick from picking out the main players in a variety of roles each, popping up here and there, mostly recognizable but sometimes not. Out of all the idiocy it's hard to pick out a favorite, but I have to say, the killer rabbit coming out of nowhere is just so frantic and absurd that it'll make you double over. Layered onto all this nonsense are gems like the Castle Anthrax, Roger the Shrubber, Tim the Enchanter, the Cave of Caerbannog and the Bridge of Death. Did I mention the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch? - that's one more.

Watching today, I couldn't help but think how prophetic the Flying Circus writers were in describing the efforts today of the Occupy Wall Street movement in cities around the country with their own brand of 'anarcho-syndicalism'. Early in the picture, when asked by King Arthur where he got his wooden cart, the peasant replies - "By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society." To which the rabble's partner interjects - "There's some lovely filth down here." It's easy to draw a comparison to the ninety nine per cent crowd railing against the one percent from whom they demand a hand-out. Which goes to show that the Monty Python brand of humor can be as timeless as it is hilarious.

Easily one of the finest comedies of all time!

Author: SmartFace from United States
26 September 2011

Everyone knows this is a good film. That is not a question. Everyone I've shown this film to has laughed out loud consistently throughout. Neither is the question "how good is this film?" We all know its brilliant. Everything the Pythons have done is brilliant. Gee then... What is this question I am basing my review on... Well maybe it's "Where can I find a decent shrubbery in early 6th century England?" Nah, that one's easy, you just go see Roger the Shrubber. Perhaps "If witches are indeed made of wood (which would explain their buoyancy) then why can't we make a bridge out of them?" Ah geez I just don't know what the real question is! Seriously this is one of the best comedies of all time! The Python's are masters of whacky slapstick, silly one-liners, and tongue in cheek play and this film showcases that as well as any of the better episodes of "Flying Circus" (although I feel Flying Circus is a more rewarding body of work in terms of originality and scope). I guess the real question is, if you haven't seen this masterpiece yet, what the heck are you waiting for? Bloody Peasants!!!

One of the greatest comedies ever made

Author: tomgillespie2002 from United Kingdom
14 August 2011

This is one of those films that I can't believe I had never seen before now. Also on this list are the likes of It's A Wonderful Life and The Great Escape, but they will be seen all in good time. It's a shame I had waited so long to be honest, as it is quite possibly the most hilarious and brilliant comedy I've ever seen. There's not much to say about Monty Python that hasn't already been said, but it is well known that the group (John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin) were revolutionaries in the art of comedy, combining a number of elements to create an overall surreal and ingenious sense of humour.

The film is based loosely on the legend of King Arthur (Chapman) and the Knights of the Round Table. Arthur is on a quest to find the Holy Grail, and with his fellow Knights, encounters a number of dangerous and ridiculous obstacles along the way. These include a castle guarded by French knights with 'outrageous accents', the Black Knight, the Knights Who Say Ni, the Three-Headed Giant, the Rabbit of Caebannog, and the Beast of Arrrrrrggggghhhhh.

Whereas Life of Brian was a very intelligent and quite biting satire on religion, Holy Grail is pretty much just an excuse to be extremely silly. From the opening scene, where Arthur arrives pretending to ride on his imaginary horse while his squire bangs two coconuts together to make a galloping noise, you know that the film is not going to play by any comedy rules, and is certainly not afraid of being just plain weird. It plays out in an episodic structure, much like The Flying Circus, but the team are clearly at their most comfortable here and are certainly no slouches when it comes to comedy set-pieces. My favourite would probably be the famous Black Knight, who when Arthur has hacked three of his limbs in a brilliantly gruesome manner, is still trying to fight ("'tis but a scratch!").

The comedy comes from all angles - word-play, visual gags, surrealism, post-modernism, blink-or-you'll-miss-it background gags, and simply pulling silly faces - and they come thick and fast, and include more laughs per minute that most comedies will be lucky to muster in 90 minutes. This is simply a brilliant film, and will forever remain amongst the greatest comedies ever created.

www.the-wrath-of-blog.blogspot.com

Utterly hilarious.

Author: Tom Rooney
21 July 2011

I really love Monty Python and their sketches - and this, their first feature, had me laughing my butt off, and with good reason.

Every single part of this film is utterly insane, but hilarious at the same time. One example is the fight with the black knight. It's one of the greatest fight scenes in movie history, and it has some of the greatest dialog ("I'll have you, you wait and see!" "What are you going to do, bleed on me?"). The song "Knights of the Round Table" should have been nominated for an Oscar. It's another perfect example of how hilariously insane this film is. This, as well as the oddly abrupt ending (King Arthur and co charge at the French castle but get stopped by the police, one of which breaks the camera and ends the film) are just two of the many many reasons why this is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. I give it a perfect 10/10.

Sublime silliness

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
9 June 2011

Silly boys. Those Monty Python chaps send up the King Arthur legend as only they could. Silliness from beginning to end. But silliness can be brilliant you know. And there is some truly inspired stuff in this movie. It's a farcical parody in which the laughs come fast and furious. You've got a three-headed knight. You've got a knight who just won't quit, no matter how many "flesh wounds" you inflict upon him. You have knights who sing about that silly place known as Camelot. And of course you have knights who say "Ni!" You have snooty, condescending French persons and their flying livestock. You have rabbits, both Trojan and killer. You have a unique use for coconuts and the question of whether coconuts can migrate. All of this surrounding the main plot, the quest for the Holy Grail. Oh who are we kidding, there really is no plot. The movie just careens from one gag to the next.

The movie is brilliantly performed by the Pythons, each of whom takes on multiple roles. Graham Chapman, playing King Arthur, is the glue that holds everything together. All the nonsense revolves around him. Chapman is the straight man, if this movie could be said to have such a thing. Everyone else gets to be gleefully silly while Chapman's Arthur is a little more restrained as he focuses on his noble quest. But Chapman is as funny as any of the others. Arthur's Knights of the Round Table meanwhile are a quirky, eclectic bunch and each provides plenty of laughs as they go off in their own directions seeking the Grail. And for as good as they are portraying their respective Knights it is in the other characters they also play that the Pythons perhaps shine brightest. How can you not love John Cleese's Taunting French Guard? Michael Palin is great as the peasant Dennis who bemoans the class system and questions Arthur's legitimacy. Palin also plays the King of Swamp Castle and Terry Jones does great as heir to the swamp Prince Herbert. Among other things Eric Idle is a great dead collector, shrubber and monk. Terry Gilliam has comparatively little screen time but makes his own contributions with his great animation as well as co-directing the whole thing with Jones. No small task pulling all this film's wonderful nonsense together so Gilliam and Jones have to be given a great deal of credit for their directing work. The movie is really let down only by its ending. It's jarring and abrupt, the Pythons pulling the rug out from beneath their audience. It's typical Python though. But this last bit of silliness doesn't really work. For all the great stuff that came before the movie deserved a better conclusion than this. But a misstep right at the end isn't going to detract too much from the overall experience. This movie is funny, brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable from the opening credits all the way to the end. Well near the end anyway. Easy to see why this is one of the most beloved comedies ever. This movie which sends up the great Arthurian legend has become legendary itself.

Very silly but lots of fun!

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
11 April 2011

This film where the Monty Python team take multiple roles to bring the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table to the screen is as hilarious as one would expect; it is packed with quotable lines and memorable scenes… once watched nobody will forget the Black Knight who won't let a mere flesh wound stop him fighting! The Knights who say Ni or the killer rabbit! The brave knights will encounter these threats and many more as they undertake a god-given quest to find the Holy Grail.

The Monty Python team do a great job here; how they managed to avoid laughing in every scene they shot I don't know; as the knights 'ride' across the land… no actual horses of course they just bang two coconut halves together! There are some fight scenes that might disturb the squeamish but the blood spurts are almost cartoonish so shouldn't bother most viewers; I watched it with my twelve year old nephew and he just laughed! If you haven't watched this yet you really should to find out what all the fuss is about and if you have seen it watch it again as it stands repeat viewings although I'm sure most people who have seen it will know that already.