IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 8 of 64: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Go away or I will taunt you again

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
5 October 1999

This is an absolute Scream. Where do I begin? The Trojan Rabbit? the Cow that gets shot over the wall? Coconut horses? How about the Cartoonist who 'dies from a sudden, fatal heart attack'? The bridge and the sparrow question? And of course-they ate Sir Robin's minstrels-and there was Much rejoicing(YAY!)...

This is a great farce, rather crap ending but all the rest is top notch; unplotted plot allows the Python boys to do what they did best, make us laugh very, very hard.

I remember getting absolutely worn out seeing this for the first couple of times. By all means, see it-**** outta ****. Hilarious!

An Instant Cult Classic

Author: Desertman84 from United States
5 March 2012

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a British comedy film written and performed by the comedy group Monty Python (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin), and directed by Gilliam and Jones. It was conceived during the gap between the third and fourth series of their popular BBC television programme Monty Python's Flying Circus.In contrast to the group's first film, And Now for Something Completely Different, a compilation of sketches from the first two television series, Holy Grail was composed of new material, therefore considered the first "proper" film by the group. It generally parodies the legend of King Arthur's quest to find the Holy Grail.

From its opening multi-language titles to the closing arrest of the entire Dark Ages cast by modern-day bobbies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail helped to define "irreverence" and became an instant cult classic. This time the Pythonites savage the legend of King Arthur, juxtaposing some excellently selected exterior locations with an unending stream of anachronistic one-liners, non sequiturs, and slapstick set pieces. The Knights of the Round Table set off in search of the Holy Grail on foot, as their lackeys make clippety-clop sounds with coconut shells. A plague-ridden community, ringing with the cry of "bring out your dead," offers its hale and hearty citizens to the body piles. A wedding of convenience is attacked by Arthur's minions while the pasty-faced groom continually attempts to burst into song. The good guys are nearly thwarted by the dreaded, tree-shaped "Knights Who Say Ni!" A feisty enemy warrior, bloodily shorn of his arms and legs in the thick of battle, threatens to bite off his opponent's kneecap. A French military officer shouts such taunts as "I fart in your general direction" and "I wave my private parts at your aunties." Rabbits are a particular obsession of the writers this time around, ranging from the huge Trojan Rabbit to the "killer bunny" that decapitates one of the knights.

Grail is as funny as a movie can get, but it is also a tough-minded picture -- as outraged about the human propensity for violence as it is outrageous in its attack on that propensity.Also,there's something about feature films that brings out the best in the Pythons. The occasional indulgence of the TV series is replaced by a more focused approach which wrings every conceivable joke out of a given subject.Finally,it is an instant cult classic as gut-bustingly hilarious as it is blithely ridiculous, Monty Python and the Holy Grail has lost none of its exceedingly silly charm.

My favourite comedy ever!

Author: Metal Angel Ehrler from Honduras
25 June 2010

What does it take a film to be immortalized? What moves audiences and critics alike to carve a special place in history for them? James Cameron would argue that it's innovation in special effects; Francis Ford Coppola and Peter Jackson would have you know it's the depth of a story and its epic development through trilogies; Orson Welles was quite sure it was a film's ability to perform above its time and deal with perennial topics. They would all be correct, and their respective films have triumphed and remain must-sees to the world at large. But what would be Monty Python's answer to the above questions? How would the members of this perfect English troupe deal with the pure genius of their films and the depth of their comedy? They'd stand by the fact that, um, a good deal of moose, coconut-carrying African swallows, cheeky revolutionary peasants, 'Ni'-saying knights, Broadway-style numbers and a famous historian are the key to a great, pitch-perfect comedy that stands the test of time...and you know what? Even through their silliness, they'd be correct.

Monty Python is a group of English thespians composed of Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and Michael Palin. Just to read their names together makes the reader raise his/her eyebrow in amusement, for their household names, synonyms of pure comedy. Monty Python gave England its laughs with their satirical, modern and outrageous humour reminiscent of Peter Cook, Harold Pinter and Samuel Beckett, and the few feature films they made together caused such uproar around the world that they're now considered utter classics by critics, film associations, cults, universities and families. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", possibly their most iconic film, is my personal favourite.

The plot follows King Arthur, who has only just retrieved Excalibur from its stony perch and has been informed by the Lady of the Lake that he's to become the greatest king ever. He now travels through the entire country searching for brave, wise, gallant knights who'd like to join him at his round table at Camelot. Sounds quite epic and historical, doesn't it? Well, it's anything but. The film is hilariously nonsensical, too outrageous to be believed, silly at its core; it constantly strays from the plot to present different ridiculous sketches of the knights, it presents events that are not only unbelievable but preposterous...it is, in short, a farce of what comedies and epics have come to be. But unlike other silly movies like "Scary Movie", the film's parody is pure genius and manages to make heavy political, religious and cultural statements throughout, and the silliness is actually uproarious. I laugh every single minute of it, and younger audiences will find that, even if THEY'RE not doing so, the wit and intelligence underlying the ridiculous events astonish them. Audiences of every age and generation have found this to be a comic gem to be treasured.

The film begins with THE wittiest opening credits I've seen to date. They're shown upon a black screen featuring ominous, dramatic music and Swedish subtitles. Through the course of the credits roll, the subtitles no longer translate what is being written in English but give out the weirdest, most non-sensical statements about moose; soon after the credits stop and a disclaimer announces that those responsible for the stupid subtitles have been sacked. The subtitles resume, and once again the disclaimer appears saying that those responsible for sacking have been sacked too. More credits appear, like "Moose special effects," "Moose trainers," "Miss Avery's moose", "No moose have been harmed in the making of this film," etc...to the point where a third disclaimer appears saying that everyone responsible for the credits has been sacked and a new set of people have been quickly rounded up to finish the credit sequence, which grows sillier and sillier to the very end. The opening credits foretell the silliness of the film aptly, for the remaining hour and forty minutes is a wild and crazy romp that will have you in awe. Never (and I mean NEVER) has a film been simultaneously silly and profound like this.

I can't name any particular scene to exemplify the film's genius. I rather have the reader rent or buy the film and be treated to its wonder without any warning of the surprises in store. There's epic fight scenes, outrageous musical numbers, heavy parody, controversial political and religious statements, interwoven modern scenes, some animation and, well, just about the best screen writing and acting I've ever seen. So...What DOES it take for a film to be immortalized? The answer is pure and simple: it needs to be the inspired work of geniuses, and Monty Python lives up to those standards.

Please, if you know what's best for you, SEE THIS FILM! Rating: 4 stars out of 4!!

It's... Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Author: Kristian Serigstad Jensen (biffmenn) from Norway
26 April 2010

It's... Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The movie starts out with the intro of the movie Dentist on the Job (1961) And now for something completely different, the plot of the movie. Arthur, Son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons. Sovereign of all England! (Graham Chapman) And Patsy (Terry Gilliam) is looking for some knights to join him at his court at Camelot. The wise Sir Bedevere (Terry Jones) was the first to join, but other were soon to follow. Sir Lancelot the Brave (John Cleese), Sir Galahad the Pure (Michael Palin), Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor, who nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol and who had personally wet himself at the battle of Badon Hill (Eric Idle) and Sir Not-appearing-in-this-film (William Palin). Together they formed a band whose names and deeds were to be retold throughout the centuries. The Knights of the Round Table. But when they finely get to Camelot (it's only a model!) they find out that "it's a busy life in Camelot" so they decide that they do not want to go there "it is a silly place". While walking away, God (Graham Chapman) come to them from a cloud and tells them to find the Holy Grail in order to "make them an example in these dark times". While they search for the Grail, Arthur, having consulted his closest knights decided that they should separate, and search for the Grail individually. Throughout their search they meet interesting people and knights along the way. Most of the characters die; some through a killer rabbit (which they defeat with the holy hand grenade of Antioch), some from answering a question wrong at the bridge of Death, or die some other ridiculous way. In the end, King Arthur and Sir Bedevere are left and find the Castle Arrrghhh where the Holy Grail is. They are met by some French soldiers who taunted them earlier in the film, so they decided to attack with their full force but the police stop the knights before they could do any damaged to the castle of Guy de Loimbard. And now, number 1. The large, the large, and now number 1. Why did I like this film?

I don't know what it is with this movie that makes it one of the best movies in the world. Maybe it is this good because it is British, or maybe it is because of the way they made it. I do not have the answers right now; all I know is that it's... Monty Python.

Another hilarious comedy from the Pythons!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
24 April 2010

After the brilliant Life of Brian, I was looking forward to watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And I loved it, I don't think it is quite as good as Life of Brian, but it is definitely one of the better Monty Python comedies for sheer hilarity and fun. The story like Life of Brian isn't the strongest component but this is in no way a criticism and yes the special effects are cheesy but perhaps that was the intention. My only problem with the film was that the ending is a little flat, but that is a minor criticism compared to how much I loved this film. The script is irreverent and highly quotable, and the soundtrack is even funnier. As a comedy it is wonderfully inventive, that debunks the Dark Ages and legends of chivalry through King Arthur, The Black Knight, God and the "knights who say ni". Comedy highlights include the trial with Connie Booth's witch and the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch sequence. Even the sets are quite well designed and authentic. And the acting is simply wonderful, John Cleese, Terry Jones(the encounter with Dennis's mother was hilarious), Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Eric Idle perfectly live up to their exceptional talents. Overall, a great comedy and a great film. 9.5/10 Bethany Cox

Perhaps my favourite comedy of all time

Author: stephen-560-161818 from United Kingdom
23 January 2010

Nostalgia has promoted me to read this review, I still find it hard to believe when people say they have never seen this film, it is simply fantastic Like much of Python, it is totally quotable and really sticks in the Brain for years after you watch it, but this is truly Python at their very best. The amount of times I have spent in the pub regurgitating the Black Knight scene or the Knights who say 'Ni' is uncountable Yes it is true to the original Malory and Victorian tales, only by implication, but then it is a comedy and like ever they have used it to provide farcical, slapstick and satire to an unbelievable high standard. I was in tears in many places the first time I watched it and still find myself giggling, many times later at the key scenes.

This is a total gem, along with the other great Python Production 'The Life of Brian' , If you haven't seen it, watch it and if you don't like it then you either have had your humour gland removed or I am deluded.

The most memorable comedy of all time

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
19 April 2009

Name another context where the line "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" is funny. If it's not John Cleese as the taunting Frenchman or said in that very same obnoxiously fake French accent, it's about as funny as missing tea time.

"The Holy Grail," far and away the greatest comedic work of the Monty Python gang of Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam is a masterful example of the power of improvisational humor and satire. It is also testament that nonsense, when executed properly, is brilliance.

No comedy can even touch what King Arthur and the knights of the round table's divinely charged quest for the Holy Grail does. Whether it is a rant about various forms of government, a tragically flawed scientific logic for burning witches or knights who keep sacred words like "Ni" and demand shrubberies, just about everything in the film is memorable, quotable or at least highly enjoyed by those with bad recall abilities.

The Middle Ages is perfect fodder for Monty Python, mixing a definite sense of history with tales of fantasy -- the ideal balance for satire and nonsensical fun. But truly, comedy is about timing and execution and no one does it better. The subtleties of "I'm not dead yet" and "i'm getting better" are examples. Delivered in another way they could miss the mark entirely, but the Python crew gets just about anything to be funny. A definite improvisational element keeps the scenes fresh and all the more hilarious.

"Holy Grail" nails joke after joke and only lacks a satisfying end. Still, the sheer comedic genius of the rest of the film is so good that the whole unit is meaningless. You don't walk away thinking it's a bad ending, you start quoting the taunting Frenchman, or the leader of the nights who say "Ni!" or the Black Knight. That's what makes the film a true classic.

A very good and funny spoof of medieval movies that has its flaws

Author: sinisterdrecc88 from United States
26 March 2009

The Holy Grail is a classic comedy film that spoofs medieval times, made by troupe Monty Python. This movie definitely has its funny moments (especially the 2 stupid knights guarding the room), and has some ingenious ideas for comedy. (i.e. a brief intermission) But there are a few cons about this movie. One, the ending. Why did Sir Lancelot, King Arthur, and Sir Bedevere get arrested by a bunch of cops? This was a big disappointment to me, because I was expecting King Arthur to you know, like, find the Grail. Second, the movie gets a little boring at times (not boring like you want to turn it off, but just bored). And that's pretty much it.

Quintessential Comedy

Author: stealth4933 from United States
25 July 2008

This movie is without a doubt the quintessential comedy. It takes the ancient world of King Arthur and makes it hilarious. I have never seen a movie in which every scene progresses the "plot" and each scene has some comedic value. This movie does just that. I laughed so hard from start to finish. From "Bring out your dead" to the Frenchman at the end making fun of King Arthur. This movie is to Monty Python what Animal House is to national Lampoon. The only difference is that Monty Python is, in my opinion, much funnier and less sexual then National Lampoon. And, no offense intended, the British accents just make the film even funnier. So in conclusion, this movie is the funniest movie ever made, and its zaniness will always be remembered. It is timeless, and I would recommend everyone see it.

"Is that an African swallow?"

Author: kclambeth from United Kingdom
10 April 2008

I love this film and slightly prefer it to the Life of Brian (which is hilarious) I only saw this for the first time last year and was so glad i finally got to see it after many years of wanting to.

The Pythons have such a unique style of comedy that at the time was groundbreaking, it's not as shocking or controversial by today's standards but the point is they weren't afraid to take risks or not do something for fear of looking stupid.

Set in legendary King Arthur's England, King Arthur (played brilliantly by Graham Chapman) and his knights set upon a quest to find the holy grail. The quest takes them to the most ludicrous places (like the castle Anthrax) and they face the most bizarre situations (the bridge of death to name but one) and meet some peculiar characters including the Knights of Ni.

The acting is great with Chapman as King Arthur and the other pythons playing many small roles, each very talented and individually skilled. There are many laughs, my favourite part being the conversation about the migrating swallows. I really enjoyed this film and think more young people should see it, it is one of the few films labelled as a comedy that actually makes me laugh.

Although it is over thirty years old, it doesn't feel dated to me, it has a contemporary feel to it and i think it will still be popular in thirty years time. This is in my opinion the best film they have done; 'Life of Brian' is a close second but wasn't too impressed with 'the meaning of life'.

Anyways a must see and deservedly in the top 250.