IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 8 of 67: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Great movie

Author: jahsoul from Portugal
9 November 2006

One of the funniest movies i've seen in my life, monthy python really can make you go crazy. Peasants who know social politics, animal kingdom studies plus a king arthur who seems to be a total idiot yet always getting by with great "moves". The "inocence" of people in king arthur's time is replaced with cunning remarks and stunning situations. You can recognize many stuff in this movie from children books and history movies, but it's all modified to give it a really laughing sense.

I won't say much more because i do not wish to be a spoiler, yet i say that if you like non-sense laughing stuff and especially the monthy python's then movie is definitely for you, otherwise do stay away or you'll spent everything else but a nice time.

- What's the airspeed velocity of a swallow? - what do you mean, African or European?

i give it 10 cause i've never laughed so much in my life.

Pure Genius!

Author: hockey-girl228 from Australia
17 June 2006

This is by far one of the best Python films i have ever seen. It doesn't matter how many times i watch it i'm still reduced to tears, the black knight gets me every time. this movie is so stupid that its genius. the entire python crew are at their element, John Cleese works wonders and he really is the one person in this film that made me laugh the hardest. i loved the bridge of doom (if i've got it wrong please forgive me) and i have to say this, when we first me Sir Bedivere and their weighing the witch please look out for the man with shaving cream. this is the best film ever, honestly if you are feeling really terrible and you have it put this film on it will get you every time.

A constant laugh :-)

Author: blaki974 from Sweden
30 December 2004

This is a very funny movie, woven together by a large number of skits that finally gives a very strange ending. The Monty Pythons really make the most of the absurd and you are constantly thinking: "Did I miss something?", and that (apart from other things) makes you want to watch it over and over again. The Plot: King Arthur, king of the Britons is collecting knights to join his court at the Castle Camelot, when all of a sudden, his is given a task by God. He has to find the Holy Grail. This task involves a mysterious Wizard that some call Tim. There is also the Holy Handgranade of Antioc. Other key parts are played by a Shrubber, a furry white rabbit and a cartoonist who suffers a heart-attack. The eating of minstrels is also a source of enjoyment. The completely crazy sense of humor associated with the Monty Pythons is evident in the movie. If you like this movie, you will probably also enjoy "Eric the Viking" as well as "Life of Brian", both with Monty Python. Funniest moment: The Crossing of the Bridge of Death. Oh, and when the Black Knight wont give up. Oh, and when the furry little rabbit turns out to be quite nasty. And so on, and so on... You must see it!

Funny because it's true

Author: rzajac from Taichung, Taiwan
19 May 2006

What can I say? I went to see Holy Grail when it first came out, oh so many years ago. And what an amazing thing it is, in so many ways.

For one thing, it certainly sets a standard for excellence on a small budget. This should cause much rejoicing among film students.

I had a great interaction with my son-in-law on this. He's a next-generation fan of Holy Grail. But when I mentioned the film's insights into morality and human nature, he was a little taken aback. I gave one example; where Sir Robin gives the "canned" response to the bridgekeeper's question, "What's yer favorite colour?" The joke is funny because it's a clever portrayal of everyday cowardice. And from there, the analogy expands. Cowardice begins with the denial of our own thoughts and feelings, out of fear of confrontation. What we have might be insight, but out of cowardice we hide it under a bushel. We can laugh at Palin's portrayal of this, but there's a whole other level; a powerful, tendentious payload. There exist tragic souls who take this attitude to ungodly extremes; denying what they really feel to the bitter end of self-worth, of relationships, and even of life. And that's the genius of this scene; that Palin is, indeed, dispatched to the Chasm of Eternal Peril (or whatever it's called). It was a small thing, really; a kneejerk reaction to a harmless query about his own color preference. But the end thereof is Death. And don't you forget it!

And there are lots and lots of insights like this in Holy Grail. If you think I'm being too analytical, well, all I'm doing really is scraping the surface away in an attempt to explain the fact that many, many people find this to be a timeless classic. I'm just saying, "And for good reason."

It grows on you- it's one of the most delightful exercises in the ridiculous in cinema history

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
6 January 2005

For years I did not watch or listen to Monty Python, and in retrospect I can't entirely remember why. I remember seeing a couple of scenes from "The Holy Grail" on television when I was younger (the notorious 'black knight' scene and the harem of girls in the castle) and not finding it uproarious as I might have expected. Maybe I'm just not into British comedy, I thought ignorantly. Then I finally gave into it, as I got to be a big fan of Terry Gilliam's films, and discovered as well that John Cleese is one of the funniest people to ever come out of Britain. Life of Brian was surprisingly witty and fun as it dug its claws into a subject of some controversy. Then I went on to this film, and it took two times to watch the film until I found it to definitely be a truly masterful effort in the delirious.

The first time some of the jokes and gags and puns and visuals flew over my head, but as an emotional experience (if one could call it that) was immediate- many of the parts were funny as hell, even if I didn't think the whole was. The second time around everything fit, I laughed harder at the jokes I laughed at before, and I was officially a fan of the movie. Like another comedy classic than came out a year previous to Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, the whole story is rather inconsequential when it comes to the set-pieces and actors in the various roles. King Arthur and the knights see a strange, God-like figure in the sky (my biggest laugh the first time around, one of many genius illustrations from Gilliam) who tells them to find the Holy Grail. So off they go, and encounter a plethora of trials and tribulations along the way.

In fact, the whole film is an act of stream-of-consciousness (as was the television show, Flying Circus) where the animated bits are instrumental in taking the shape of the story, or 'skits' in the film. My personal favorites were the 'black knight', the knights who say 'ni', the 'killer rabbit' (one of the great comedy surprises I have had recently), and the boy who "just wants to...sing!". But even when a weaker bit might come along, it may be a bit that doesn't lack the fine visual detail and look provided by Gilliam and Terry Jones, or with some form of wit (i.e. I didn't find the "bring out your dead" scene as extraordinary, but I wouldn't doubt it's original).

Although many say that Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which starts and ends with total disregard (and fitfully so) for all logical rules in storytelling, that it's one of the funniest films ever made (which it very well could be), I feel only very slightly reserved in recommending it to anyone. If you're in the mood for a bloody, moody, very low-budget dip into medieval satire by five of Britain's most talented writer/actors (not to mention to 'token' American), it's for you. But it may prove too silly, and maybe too sporadic, to work as a whole. One thing that I can say without a doubt, however, is that it serves as an audacious move in post-modern comedy. To put it another way, Monty Python (not just this film but the TV show, movies, and albums) were a major influence on the guys who do South Park. It's crude, odd fun practically by necessity- you know what you're getting right when "Dentist on the Job" is just 'accidentally dropped in before the movie even starts! A+

It's really not that funny! The ending ruins the film.

Author: mike48128 from United States
19 August 2016

The "Emperor's new clothes" rule still applies. Just because everyone thinks it is brilliant, doesn't make it so. The ending is horrible, as the movie is shut-down because a "noted British Expert" is accidentally slain. There isn't even an ending! Oh, even I have my favorite parts: "I'm not dead, I'm getting better" The "Vestal Virgins" aren't "sexy enough". (In the old video game, they show their silky "bottoms".) "The Bleeding Knight" is gross and I also don't like a similar scene in "Addams Family 2". The "Shrubbery" and silly "ni" Knights are only amusing. Killing everyone at the castle wedding is terrible, and the "gay" groom singing about it doesn't help at all! The "Frenchman" at the wall is stupid. The "killer rabbit" just doesn't work. I do love the classic Monty Python animation. It would have been funnier if the whole movie was animated! Too much potty humor. Yes, I loved it all 40 years ago! Having seen the short-lived Vegas "Spamalot" musical, (which was much funnier), there is still hope for this material. I hope they make THAT into a film!

i love this movie

Author: swimgirl4570 from United States
30 August 2005

I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH ITS SO FUNNY AND ITS THE BEST MOVIE EVER I'VE WATCHED IT AT LEAST 20 TIMES AND I AM GOING TO WATCH IT NOW. This is so awesome and u really need to buy it. I will have a monty python and the holy grail party sometime. trust me you wont regret buying this movie everyone who saw it should give it a 10. Its about King Aurther who had 2 find men to go to camalot. after he find all his men he decides no to go then God stops him and tells him he needs to search for the holy grail. it sounds dumb but its really funny. please trust me it is the best movie ever and me and all of my friends just love it so much its considered our swim teams movie. when we go on vacation we clap our shoes and ride the horses. we even have coconuts. trust me i am a kid but it doesn't matter i love this movie and so do my 50 year old parents!

Author: movielover200
17 August 2005

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of the zaniest, most memorable comedies. From the very beginning credits when we find out that llamas directed the film, to its hilarious ending, there's no questioning of how this is a cult hit. In a series of vignettes, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, who go on Holy Grail crusades and eat ham and jam and Spam a lot, have many crazy medieval adventures. Lots of memorable gags abound in this Python classic, including the Knights Who Say "Ni!", a vampire rabbit, the coconuts, and the Black Knight. It doesn't get old, even if it's viewed several times. Monty Python's most popular film in America, and a farcical anarchic comedy that keeps the belly laughs coming over and over again.

Grade: 10/10 Rating: PG (violence/gore, language, sexual innuendo)

Ni! Ni! Niiii!

Author: chickydeechick from Canada
29 April 2005

I am Canadian but I appreciate British humor to the greatest extent. This film is the height of all British comedies... Or maybe of comedies anywhere! There was not one point in the entire film where I caught myself thinking "well that was pointless". Because basically, the whole movie is pointless in a positively wonderful way. The knights who say Ni, Herbert, Sir Lancealot, Tim, The black night, sir robin, the castle anthrax, the killer rabbit, mean french, are all so delightful in this movie. I laughed the entire way through. And of course, I had to show my friends, and my friend ruined my leather couch by crying so hard from laughing. (it is advised not to watch this movie while sitting on any leather furniture. ha ha This is definitely the most fun movie to watch. Mp: athg is my favorite of the Monty Python Movies... I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to rent/buy/whatever this movie. you wont regret it!!!!!

Absolutely Hilarious

Author: maskerade89 from United States
15 April 2005

This movie is one of the funniest movies ever made. The combination of the low budget, one liners, and opening subtitles make it hilarious. If you're looking for a quiet, brainy, subtle comedy, this may not be for you. But if you want a laugh out loud, wet your pants, make your flatmates think there's something seriously wrong with you kind of comedy, you want to see this movie.

See it for the opening subtitles alone. Two minutes in, you're already lying on the floor laughing hysterically.

It tells the tale of King Arthur and his knights on their quest for the holy grail. Sort of. That's the general outline, anyway. There's not actually all that much in the searching for the grail, but that's not terribly important. In place of a good solid plot, you get the best one liners and physical comedy in the history of the world. I think it's a good trade off, personally.

This movie has everything you could ever desire in a movie. It has action, adventure, comedy, and almost romance. Mostly comedy, though.

All in all, this is an awesome movie. I've seen it probably fifty times, and I jump at an opportunity to see it again.