IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 5 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Still Great

Author: BigTimeMovieFan (VRWCman@aol.com) from St. Paul, MN USA
9 July 2003

Most movies from the 70s don't hold up well. Especially the comedies. But MP&THG still hangs in there as one of the funniest movies ever made. The credit sequence alone is funnier than much of the tripe that Hollyweird cranks out. (Legally Blonde 2? Puh-LEEZE!)

I first saw this movie when I was 9 years old. Sure, plenty of the humor went over my head. It was years before I figured out Dennis the Peasant's lecture about the superiority of constitutional law over a monarchy. But it was still great. I loved the coconuts!

Speaking of the coconuts, that's the litmus test. Just watch up to the discussion of tropical fruits and migratory birds. If you don't get the joke by then, you won't like the movie.

(For everyone on AOL, this movie has the greatest replacement for the annoying "You've got Mail!" Find yourself a wav.file of Eric Idle's line "Message for you, sir!" and use that instead. Just make sure you have the arrow sound to go with it.)

Lets face it this film is unique

Author: (huwhjones) from Wales
8 July 2003

Watch this after a few drinks and die laughing. Interesting that the Americans voted it higher than all the other countries (Python have a very British sense of humour). I suppose if I had to compare it to any other film it would be Blazing Saddles. Enjoy

Sheer Brilliance

Author: fbruder from USA
28 June 2003

The level of brilliance is unsurpassed.Pooh Pooh to all the American criticisms of such a masterpiece. My comment to them would be wasted as it would be ironic and I am not sure if that word is available in Webster's dictionary. Needless to say that all the python team,whether still on this planet or not would laugh in triumph at those persons who "just do not get the joke" . Kudos (For those from California that is Greek for Victory).

absolutely hilarious

Author: Anjuli (SoccerChickLA) from Los Angeles
26 June 2003

This movie is freaking hilarious. It's one of those that can have you quoting lines for hours without getting bored but completely infuriating those around you who haven't seen it. Once you watch it, you will wonder why no one made you watch it sooner, and you should feel deprived of years of gool ole line-quoting fun.

Keeps you laughing

Author: BangukuIeIedaily from New York City
25 June 2003

I have seen this movie several times and it gets funnier every time. I absolutely love Monty Python and always will. My favorite movie by Python is, "The Life of Brian".

I suggest that people see all of their films.

"WE are the knights that say NEIGH!!!'

Funny all over...

Author: annomy from KSA
20 June 2003

I saw this title a long time ago and even now I laugh when ever I remember any of the scenes. The movie was helarius all the way through, I started gigling from the opening credits and the heavy laughter came on the first scene when the first rider came from behind the hill jumping on foot with a servant behind him carrying his gear and pumping two coconuts to make the horse sound :)

I liked this movie so much that it made me want to see ALL the python team movies.

Surreal shenanigans of the highest calibre

Author: fiona-21
5 May 2003

I can't say anything about this that hasn't already been said. I just wanted to add my voice to the legions of you who have praised this film. I would say that the Pythons are definitely like Marmite - you either love 'em or hate 'em.

The non-fans (like my husband) simply don't get their humour. It must be an inherited thing as my Dad and brother love them too. The first time I saw this I pee'd my pants laughing. I couldn't even pick out a best bit as it is all wonderful, although I think John Cleese as the French knight is worth a mention and the Knights who say 'Ni'.

My only complaint about this film is that nerds tend to go about quoting bits as if they were the first (and only) people to ever see it. They think they are so original and amusing !!

I know that 'Life of Brian' seems to be regarded as the finest Python movie but I love this the best.

Very Funny

Author: mooseman201@hotmail.com from Toronto, Canada
25 February 2003

This has to be one of the high points in the career of Monty Python. I loved this movie. It was very funny and very well done. Its one of those movies that you could watch over and over and over agian. I would give it 4.5 stars of 5.

What IS the capital of Messipitamia?

Author: StrangelovePHD from Bloomfield NJ
16 February 2003

This was probably the best comedy I have ever seen. It perfectly showcased how you can take a legend and spin into a hillarious farce! It also had wonderful animated sequences. It is by far Monty Python's best film!

Best comedy ever made

Author: Movienut01 (Movienut01@attbi.com) from United States
13 February 2003

Oh my gosh where do I start. With Monty Python's brilliant Monty Python and the Holy Grail, your literally laughing all the time. I have this on Special Edition DVD and whenever I am really sad or need to laugh a bit, I grab this and pop it in. LOL funny, and the Black Knight will amaze you with his invincibility (particularly one of my favorite scenes in the movie).