IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 5 of 62: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Perhaps my favourite comedy of all time

Author: stephen-560-161818 from United Kingdom
23 January 2010

Nostalgia has promoted me to read this review, I still find it hard to believe when people say they have never seen this film, it is simply fantastic Like much of Python, it is totally quotable and really sticks in the Brain for years after you watch it, but this is truly Python at their very best. The amount of times I have spent in the pub regurgitating the Black Knight scene or the Knights who say 'Ni' is uncountable Yes it is true to the original Malory and Victorian tales, only by implication, but then it is a comedy and like ever they have used it to provide farcical, slapstick and satire to an unbelievable high standard. I was in tears in many places the first time I watched it and still find myself giggling, many times later at the key scenes.

This is a total gem, along with the other great Python Production 'The Life of Brian' , If you haven't seen it, watch it and if you don't like it then you either have had your humour gland removed or I am deluded.

The most memorable comedy of all time

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
19 April 2009

Name another context where the line "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" is funny. If it's not John Cleese as the taunting Frenchman or said in that very same obnoxiously fake French accent, it's about as funny as missing tea time.

"The Holy Grail," far and away the greatest comedic work of the Monty Python gang of Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam is a masterful example of the power of improvisational humor and satire. It is also testament that nonsense, when executed properly, is brilliance.

No comedy can even touch what King Arthur and the knights of the round table's divinely charged quest for the Holy Grail does. Whether it is a rant about various forms of government, a tragically flawed scientific logic for burning witches or knights who keep sacred words like "Ni" and demand shrubberies, just about everything in the film is memorable, quotable or at least highly enjoyed by those with bad recall abilities.

The Middle Ages is perfect fodder for Monty Python, mixing a definite sense of history with tales of fantasy -- the ideal balance for satire and nonsensical fun. But truly, comedy is about timing and execution and no one does it better. The subtleties of "I'm not dead yet" and "i'm getting better" are examples. Delivered in another way they could miss the mark entirely, but the Python crew gets just about anything to be funny. A definite improvisational element keeps the scenes fresh and all the more hilarious.

"Holy Grail" nails joke after joke and only lacks a satisfying end. Still, the sheer comedic genius of the rest of the film is so good that the whole unit is meaningless. You don't walk away thinking it's a bad ending, you start quoting the taunting Frenchman, or the leader of the nights who say "Ni!" or the Black Knight. That's what makes the film a true classic.

Quintessential Comedy

Author: stealth4933 from United States
25 July 2008

This movie is without a doubt the quintessential comedy. It takes the ancient world of King Arthur and makes it hilarious. I have never seen a movie in which every scene progresses the "plot" and each scene has some comedic value. This movie does just that. I laughed so hard from start to finish. From "Bring out your dead" to the Frenchman at the end making fun of King Arthur. This movie is to Monty Python what Animal House is to national Lampoon. The only difference is that Monty Python is, in my opinion, much funnier and less sexual then National Lampoon. And, no offense intended, the British accents just make the film even funnier. So in conclusion, this movie is the funniest movie ever made, and its zaniness will always be remembered. It is timeless, and I would recommend everyone see it.

"Is that an African swallow?"

Author: kclambeth from United Kingdom
10 April 2008

I love this film and slightly prefer it to the Life of Brian (which is hilarious) I only saw this for the first time last year and was so glad i finally got to see it after many years of wanting to.

The Pythons have such a unique style of comedy that at the time was groundbreaking, it's not as shocking or controversial by today's standards but the point is they weren't afraid to take risks or not do something for fear of looking stupid.

Set in legendary King Arthur's England, King Arthur (played brilliantly by Graham Chapman) and his knights set upon a quest to find the holy grail. The quest takes them to the most ludicrous places (like the castle Anthrax) and they face the most bizarre situations (the bridge of death to name but one) and meet some peculiar characters including the Knights of Ni.

The acting is great with Chapman as King Arthur and the other pythons playing many small roles, each very talented and individually skilled. There are many laughs, my favourite part being the conversation about the migrating swallows. I really enjoyed this film and think more young people should see it, it is one of the few films labelled as a comedy that actually makes me laugh.

Although it is over thirty years old, it doesn't feel dated to me, it has a contemporary feel to it and i think it will still be popular in thirty years time. This is in my opinion the best film they have done; 'Life of Brian' is a close second but wasn't too impressed with 'the meaning of life'.

Anyways a must see and deservedly in the top 250.

This will always rate as one of the funniest movies of all time

Author: jupitergal2 from Maine
9 September 2007

This is a movie that makes me laugh out loud from beginning to end, any and every time I see it. Usually, even the funniest of movies can make you laugh out loud only on the first and second viewings, and then the jokes aren't so new and so only make you smile, but this movie is the rarest of exceptions. So many of the jokes and lines are quotable over and over, or at least until your unenlightened friends (those who don't appreciate Monty Python, the poor deluded souls) stop inviting you over.

After seeing this great take on the King Arthur legends and then studying Medieval literature in grad school, I sure wish the Monty Python guys would have also taken on Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales!" But you don't have to be familiar with the literary background to enjoy this movie, although if you are, there's much more to enjoy.

When I try and decide who my favorite Python guy was, I usually think of Michael Palin and John Cleese first (can't decide between the two of them), but they all made me laugh in such different ways...Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Terry Gilliam's wonderful cartoons...I only wish they would have had the chance to do much more together.

Nonsense as an art form!

Author: Benedict_Cumberbatch from Los Angeles, CA
26 June 2007

I finally saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" after seeing the hilarious, Tony Award-winning Broadway musical "Spamalot!", which was based on it. I loved both (the musical is even funnier in my opinion, if that's possible).

The tale of King Arthur (the great Graham Chapman) and his knights' quest for the Holy Grail is just an excuse for some marvelous gags as you watch an exciting adventure that includes French soldiers, flying cows, a Killer Rabbit, and knights who say "Ni!".

This is the first Monty Python film I watched (I was long overdue, can't wait for the others!). Chapman, Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin knew the exact mixture of nonsense and highbrow, and if that's your cup of tea, you'll enjoy it as much as I did. One of the best films of its genre, I give it a 10/10.

Classic Silliness

Author: Connor Bailey (connorbailey@sbcglobal.net) from United States
21 January 2007

King Arthur is on a quest for Camelot, so he recruits some of the bravest knights in the land (well, all but one) to join him at Camelot. But, sadly, 'tis a silly place, so they change their minds. God, though, has other plans for them. He charges them to seek out the Holy Grail, so the Knights of the Round Table embark on a low budget search for the Cup of Christ, encountering very many silly obstacles.

The low-budget nature of this movie astounds me. It is simply one of the funniest movies ever made. John Cleese, Grahm Chapman, Michael Palin, Terry George, Terry Gilliam, and Eric Idle portray many men in this hilarious skit-filled saga. Each Python member is so diverse in their performances it took me a few viewings to realize their different characters.

Filled with many classic hilarious moments from the swallow argument ("Are you suggesting swallows migrate?"), to the Black Knight ("It's just a flesh wound!"), to the Killer Bunny ("Run away!"), this movie will have you quoting the memorable lines of dialog that the Pythons are so clever at dreaming up.

This movie is so ridiculous and original that it will never be duplicated (even though people sure have tried). But what is very funny is the way that the Pythons throw away the most ridiculous things instead of addressing them up front. Surely the background is a great example--people banging cats against the wall for no reason, filling baskets with mud, banging heads on wooden planks--it's all very silly.

Overall, if you haven't seen Python, then you haven't seen comedy.

How can you not think this movie is funny?

Author: ajlposh from United States
27 October 2006

Really, how can't you? This is one of the funniest movies of all time, and you can't fight that. I see why it's in the Top 250. So many quotable lines, lots of funny moments, and more. Me and my friends quote this movie frequently. It is so funny, I can't think of just one particular part or quote that is my favorite. However, some of my favorites are the black knight scene (I'll bite your legs off!), the french guard scene, the knights who say "Ni," and the scene with Dennis. This is a hilarious movie, and everyone should see it. Put "See Monty Python and the Holy Grail" on your "things to do before you die" list.

Be prepared for being mish-mashed

Author: areksmolka from Ireland
23 October 2006

I bought that film a month ago. The choice was simple- I had many other possibilities but I hesitated no more than three second. I used to watch other Python's movies so I knew what I would be given to. Till that time there is no one day when I say to myself " Arek, time for watching". Every day I must switch on my PSP, wear my headphones, and jump to bed just to forget about everything apart from "The Holy Grail". I know 90 per cent of the dialogues by heart and I regret nothing, I repeat, none second was wasted:) My sense of humor is just as one, presented in Monty Python's movies, especially in "The Holy Grail". I find something special there, which makes me feel better for the rest of a day. I recommend that film, dialogues, characters, plot to everyone interested and even if there are some goofs here in that film ( several has been already sent to a producer), rarely do I have the opportunity to find something comparable to "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

The best python movie ever made.

Author: tiina whatsit from Finland
3 September 2006

This is the best of the python movies. yes, it doesn't have a plot, really, but the comedy in this movie is so superb that you don't even notice the plot missing.

Graham Chapman is the one thing that makes Holy Grail look like a proper movie. He plays the only serious character, King Arthur. Any other python couldn't play it better or even as well as Graham.

Holy grail is a lo-budged movie, but it doesn't mean that it looks tacky or it's not shot in a proper set. The scenery looks absolutely fabulous and Terry G. and Terry J. did an amazing job with directing it together.

Other pythons also did their parts very well, especially Eric, Mike and John.