IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 5 of 64: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

i love this movie

Author: swimgirl4570 from United States
30 August 2005

I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH ITS SO FUNNY AND ITS THE BEST MOVIE EVER I'VE WATCHED IT AT LEAST 20 TIMES AND I AM GOING TO WATCH IT NOW. This is so awesome and u really need to buy it. I will have a monty python and the holy grail party sometime. trust me you wont regret buying this movie everyone who saw it should give it a 10. Its about King Aurther who had 2 find men to go to camalot. after he find all his men he decides no to go then God stops him and tells him he needs to search for the holy grail. it sounds dumb but its really funny. please trust me it is the best movie ever and me and all of my friends just love it so much its considered our swim teams movie. when we go on vacation we clap our shoes and ride the horses. we even have coconuts. trust me i am a kid but it doesn't matter i love this movie and so do my 50 year old parents!

Ni.

Author: movielover200
17 August 2005

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of the zaniest, most memorable comedies. From the very beginning credits when we find out that llamas directed the film, to its hilarious ending, there's no questioning of how this is a cult hit. In a series of vignettes, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, who go on Holy Grail crusades and eat ham and jam and Spam a lot, have many crazy medieval adventures. Lots of memorable gags abound in this Python classic, including the Knights Who Say "Ni!", a vampire rabbit, the coconuts, and the Black Knight. It doesn't get old, even if it's viewed several times. Monty Python's most popular film in America, and a farcical anarchic comedy that keeps the belly laughs coming over and over again.

Grade: 10/10 Rating: PG (violence/gore, language, sexual innuendo)

Watch Monty Python destroy Britain's lone legend

Author: experience_maker
5 September 2004

Coming from Great Britain, which is known for lacking a big number of immortal tales and legends or even a national myth (a fact that prompted J.R.R. Tolkien to create "the lord of the rings" as a replacement), Eric Idle, Graham Chapman and Co. had nothing better to do than deconstruct one of the few remaining tales Britain has to offer: the tale of Arthur, his knights of the Round Table and the quest for the Holy Grail.

The outcome is truly wonderful, even though I had to watch it a couple of times to cherish it even more than "The life of Brian", the Monty Python masterpiece that succeeded the Grail tale. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" starts off with a solution that can only be called the idea of a genius: instead of purchasing horses for the movie, the comedians included coconuts - tools normally and exclusively used to audio support real horses - as part of the story ("What? Ridden on a horse? You're using coconuts! You've got two empty halves of coconuts and you're banging them together!")

In the tradition of British humor, Monty Python go on to introduce the black knight, the knights of "ni", the beast of "Aaaargh!", "Tim, the enchanter" and a couple of impertinent French soldiers. To me, little in this movie was funnier than Arthur's fight against the black knight who, even when his arms and one leg were cut off, just would not give up ("What do you want to do, bleed on me?" - "I'm invincible! The black knight always triumphs!"), only to suggest a draw after Arthur had chopped off the other leg, too.

Of course, this kind of humor does not appeal to everyone, as is true of the comedy shows of Rowan Atkinson ("Blackadder", "Mr Bean"), but to the rest of us, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is as funny as they come, including great chansons and a killer rabbit, and the discussion about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

As a summary, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is a must see for any fan of great comedies and truly fun to watch - as long as you are not British and cling to Arthur and the legend of the Holy Grail.

HA-HA!!!

Author: luvsong4no1 from CA, USA
2 August 2004

I still laugh! Monty Python and the Holy Grail, what a combination! Amazingly funny events from the coconut scene, the witch scene, Dennis and Repression scene to Scene 24, who doesn't love this movie? Michael Palin, as always, funny as hell. Eric Idle, adding his own twist of magnificence, Graham Chapman once again assuming the lead role of the movie, John Cleese is perfect as the French Knight, Terry Gilliam is wonderful as Sir Bederive and of course Terry Jones as Patsy. Cheesy effects, but come on, it was made in 1975. We can only expect so much.

If you don't think Monty Python is funny, you probably are just too serious or stupid to understand it's genius humor.

Great CLASSIC Movie

Author: jrfk2 from USA
22 July 2004

Sorry that mattymatt4ever doesn't get it, he prolly just SAW the movie when he wrote his review in 2001. You have to understand the movie in CONTEXT, when it was filmed, 1975. It was a low budget film as Python had not hit full popularity in the USA yet. And you couldn't get away with as much as you can NOW in movies.

You have to understand what they did was to slap the King Arthur myth right in the puss ("strange women lying in ponds is no means for a democratic system of gvt"), and they were really the 1st ones to do it.

And Python tends to keep re-working things in in subtle ways .. the whole swallow conversation at the beginning, later reference to it with Sir Bedevere letting lose a pigeon with something tied to its leg, to the bridge of death where Arthur's knowledge of swallows gets him across the bridge.

If you don't like slapstick, combined with sharp wit and a little hint of sex .. then you won't get Python .. and IMHO your life is that much smaller because of it.

NI!

Pull the other one!

Author: James Hauser (BohemeLVB) from Chicago, IL
20 June 2004

Proof, yet again, that the biggest budget will get you nothing but fancy effects. The script is the most important part, and this one sizzles. Perhaps one of the funniest movies of all time. Yes, there is a British sense of humor, but unlike many English movies and understanding of British humor is not entirely required. There is physical comedy, musical comedy "It's only a model". And of course it wouldn't be a Monty Python movie without ripping "society" a new butt. "Oh, King, eh? Very nice." "Bring out your dead!"

4 stars

Legendary King Arthur and his men search the land fir Camelot.

Author: Ron Waite (carlsbadrn@yahoo.com) from USA
9 June 2004

When I first saw this movie I hated it. I didn't ubderstabd it. I didn't care for the TV shows. I thought it was our silliness. One night at 2AM my cousin and I watched it on TV and we laughed ourselves silly. Maybe we were drunk, tired, whatever. From then on it was Python madness. We watched all the TV shows, watched Holy Grail over and over and when it came out on video we wore it out. We memorized the words and really freak people out in chat rooms when they don't know what we're talking about. "It's only a flesh wound!" "What are you going to do, bite me?" "Oh please, can't I have a little peril?" "No, it's too perilous". "How do you know he's a king?" "He hasn't got s**t all over him". "Bring out your dead". The writing, directing, special effects with no budget (Terry Gilliam says "it's only a model" all incredible. And the taunting Frenchmen. This is a true classic made by geniuses and why it didn't make the top 100 funniest movies ever I'll never know (either did It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and several others. I give it an big A+!!!

The funniest, most quotable movie ever made.

Author: HindumunInc from Toledo, Ohio
11 December 2003

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is by far the funniest movie ever. It also has some of the best quotes in movie history. Such as: "Let's not bicker, and argue about who killed who." etc,etc.... Only Mel Brooks and Jim Carrey have even come close to matching wits with this masterpiece of laughter. This movie will easily maintain it's #1 seat in the comedy hall of fame for decades to come. From a Knight who says Ni! watch for the "little bunnies".

An excellent comedy!

Author: Shamdir from Gothenburg, Sweden
24 October 2003

Monthy Python has really managed to make an excellent comedy, it might not have advanced special effects... But the story and the jokes makes up for it.... It's by far the best comedy I have seen! It's best second to none....

If you want to see a comedy that is different to most comedies made to day see this one I can deffinately recomend it.

A film to be seen again and again

Author: Chells from Scotland
14 September 2003

This is truly a masterpiece of humourous works. Althought the 'Life of bryan' is generally acclaimed to be the most complete film by the Python team this is actually much much funnier with sharper humour.

From Roger the Shrubber to Sir Galahad's 'cant i have a little bit more peril? No it's too perilous. Bet your gay' the story bounds along jumping from one madscap situation to another. The french knights 'taunting' of the English had me falling from my chair in laughter and Michael Palin's face as a yokel demanding a witch to be burned asking 'does it hurt' brought me to tears.

Althought the ending is a bit abrupt I have seen this film well over 50 times now and yet each bit is as funny as the first time.