IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 4 of 63: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

i laughed almost non-stop at its wonderful off-beat humor

Author: calnma07 from dothan, alabama
26 July 2004

I saw this movie just recently, seeing as how I'm in my teens, and loved every minute of it. I had to find out for myself what was so great about this cult hit that comedy lovers every where worshiped. So i rented the movie one night and had a very pleasant surprise. i expected some stupid, cheap movie with only a few funny parts(keep in mind, I'm young, so this was my first Monty Python movie). I was proved very, very wrong in just the opening credits. To me, this is the comedy that all other comedies should use as a guideline. I laughed almost non-stop at its wonderful off-beat humor. Most of the movie was entirely pointless yet brilliantly funny. I would recommend this movie to anyone. Its one of the greatest of all time and if you're a lover of comedy like I am, you wont be able to get enough of this movie.

A film which was an unusual but true life changing experience for me

Author: John Schofield from England
8 November 2009

When the Monty Python programmes started on British TV in the late 1960's I tuned into the humour from the first second and what made them that little bit more amusing was that my dad just didn't get any of it. We both laughed at other comedians or comedy films but the Monty Python experience was not one that appealed to him. I highly recommend anyone watch this film because you will find out whether you find it funny or not and from my point of view I hope you find it as highly amusing as I do. I cannot adequately describe the film itself its just the Monty Python experience in full flow and firing on all cylinders. I have watched the film numerous times and it still presses all my buttons where humour is concerned. This particular piece of cinematic brilliance had a life changing effect on me and although their will be many out there that will be doubtful or incredulous I myself have no doubts about how significant this film was for me. At the time the Monty Python team in my opinion were a groundbreaking new broom in comedy and set the standard which very few aspiring comedians have been able to match let alone emulate. Enjoy the 91 minutes of comedy genius.

A Unique and Original Comedy Classic

Author: st-shot from United States
11 August 2007

In spite of Viet Nam, Watergate and gas shortages the 70's was a period of superb film humor. Giants like Woody Allen and Mel Brooks were in their prime and British export Monty Python had established a beach front on American television. When the Python's released their first feature length film audiences expected waves of absurdity and "silliness". They received more.

Based (or spring boarded) on the Arthurian legend of the quest for the Holy Grail, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is screamingly hilarious from its opening credits to its final scene. Coconuts, killer rabbits, flying cows and holy hand grenades fill the landscape as the Python troupe immerse themselves in multiple roles, skewering legend and establishment with their surreal brand of humor. They all shine individually but Cleese as dimwitted Lancelot, Tim the Enchanter, a witch burner and a castle guard with an "outrageous French accent" is most memorable for me. There is also the creative collage animation of Terry Gilliam which fits seamlessly into the zaniness of the location footage by transitioning without a break in storyline or humor from one knight's adventure to the next.

In addition to its abundance of original non-stop laughs, attention to detail in ambiance and composition (Gilliam directed the camera work, Terry Jones the actors) gives Grail an impressive look. Castles, forests, a Viking Ship are photographed in epic style giving the film a high gloss while at the same time heightening the comic absurdity.

I was a year out of college when Grail was released. I had no steady job and no prospects but I saw this film eight times in that year (a personal record to this day) and that alone made it a very good year.

A constant laugh :-)

Author: blaki974 from Sweden
30 December 2004

This is a very funny movie, woven together by a large number of skits that finally gives a very strange ending. The Monty Pythons really make the most of the absurd and you are constantly thinking: "Did I miss something?", and that (apart from other things) makes you want to watch it over and over again. The Plot: King Arthur, king of the Britons is collecting knights to join his court at the Castle Camelot, when all of a sudden, his is given a task by God. He has to find the Holy Grail. This task involves a mysterious Wizard that some call Tim. There is also the Holy Handgranade of Antioc. Other key parts are played by a Shrubber, a furry white rabbit and a cartoonist who suffers a heart-attack. The eating of minstrels is also a source of enjoyment. The completely crazy sense of humor associated with the Monty Pythons is evident in the movie. If you like this movie, you will probably also enjoy "Eric the Viking" as well as "Life of Brian", both with Monty Python. Funniest moment: The Crossing of the Bridge of Death. Oh, and when the Black Knight wont give up. Oh, and when the furry little rabbit turns out to be quite nasty. And so on, and so on... You must see it!

A Masterpiece.

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
31 December 2003

Monty Python takes a bit of getting used to, as their comedy company is somewhat of an acquired taste for most Americans who aren't accustomed to the dry British wit featured in these movies. However, they are absolute geniuses of comedy, as is demonstrated here in their first full-length feature film, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." There are excellent and memorable lines, hilarious dialog, and intentionally cheesy acting, combined to give you the laugh of the Dark Ages.

King Arthur and his lowest-budgeted knights set off on their legendary quest for the Holy Grail. What they find, instead, is series of mishaps, antics, and outright hilariously idiotic stumbling-blocks.

I highly suggest seeing this on the Special Edition DVD (KILLER RABBIT-ON!). There are added features you will undoubtedly enjoy.

"I...fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father...smelt...of...ELDERBERRIES ~! Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!" (John Cleese as the French Taunter.)

It rates a smooth 9.8/10 from...

the Fiend :.

I used to think this was the funniest movie ever made.

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
25 March 2003

Being brought up on Python going to see this movie on its original release was one of the highlights of my movie going childhood. For many years I thought 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' was the funniest movie ever made. Now over twenty five years later repetition and familiarity may not have ruined the movie completely but they have spoiled my enjoyment somewhat. Even so it's still a comedy classic and I envy anyone who is watching it for the first time. Python (Cleese, Chapman, Palin, Jones, Idle and Gilliam) were on top form throughout, and apart from one or two less successful bits it's hilarious stuff, and arguably their most consistent movie. (I still think their TV work was their best, the non-linear sketch format suiting their style more than extended pieces). Python bores can quote this verbatim but don't let them put you off. This is one wacked out romp full of fun and surprises, and still has more laughs than 90% of today's so-called comedies. Highly recommended.

worth the wait in gold

Author: jryan-4
4 August 2003

Way too often when I ask people their favorite movies...one of these three flicks is offered.....Spaceballs...Shawshank Redemption or Monty Python and the Holy Grail.I've always considered these movies over- rated and thus avoided seeing them while simultaneously readjusting downward my opinion of the cinematic tastes of those recommending the flicks.

I only avoided Shawshank for a few months. I've got to admit it was pretty good when I finally saw it and if I would have waited a few more months it probably would have been better and if I had waited a few years it probably would have been great. I waited twenty years to see Spaceballs and when it was finally forced upon me I watched it with an attempted open mind but kept comparing the flick unfavorably to other Brooks films like Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety, Silent Movie,and The Producers. I came away with the reinforced bias that Mel lost his touch after Silent Movie. I held out for almost thirty years on Monty Python. Then to my alarm my twelve year old daughter Mary told me that Monty Python was the funniest movie she had ever seen. I like Mary's taste and when I told her that I had never seen Holy Grail, she was surprised and encouraged me to rent the DVD which I did. I played it last night and yup, I loved it. Truly an original film. We laughed and now everybody is walking around going "neeth" etc. Of the three Grail is the best, Redemption second and Spaceballs a distant third. I wouldn't say I missed the boat..rather I waited three decades to catch it. Now I'm on board...sort of

Nearly Dead Already

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
13 July 2000

I was smack in the center of the target demographic for this film 25 years ago. I thought it was liberated, sacrilegious, self-referential, anarchic, all the things we liked.

Seeing it now, only a few parts are funny. I suspect they are all written by Cleese: the bit about swallows and coconuts, the two episodes with the French guard, and the skit concerning anarchy. These are precious.

The rest is getting worse with each passing day. The problem is that so much of their humor depended on being outrageously, either with the unexpected or the taboo. But we've evolved, and these guys who were out of bounds before are rather well-behaved now. Can you imagine them doing a semen in the hair joke?

You want funny, check out old tapes of the Goon Show, of whom these guys were always a lesser copy anyway. Those old shows are still outrageous, most of them.

An Instant Cult Classic

Author: Intern2014 from United States
5 March 2012

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a British comedy film written and performed by the comedy group Monty Python (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin), and directed by Gilliam and Jones. It was conceived during the gap between the third and fourth series of their popular BBC television programme Monty Python's Flying Circus.In contrast to the group's first film, And Now for Something Completely Different, a compilation of sketches from the first two television series, Holy Grail was composed of new material, therefore considered the first "proper" film by the group. It generally parodies the legend of King Arthur's quest to find the Holy Grail.

From its opening multi-language titles to the closing arrest of the entire Dark Ages cast by modern-day bobbies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail helped to define "irreverence" and became an instant cult classic. This time the Pythonites savage the legend of King Arthur, juxtaposing some excellently selected exterior locations with an unending stream of anachronistic one-liners, non sequiturs, and slapstick set pieces. The Knights of the Round Table set off in search of the Holy Grail on foot, as their lackeys make clippety-clop sounds with coconut shells. A plague-ridden community, ringing with the cry of "bring out your dead," offers its hale and hearty citizens to the body piles. A wedding of convenience is attacked by Arthur's minions while the pasty-faced groom continually attempts to burst into song. The good guys are nearly thwarted by the dreaded, tree-shaped "Knights Who Say Ni!" A feisty enemy warrior, bloodily shorn of his arms and legs in the thick of battle, threatens to bite off his opponent's kneecap. A French military officer shouts such taunts as "I fart in your general direction" and "I wave my private parts at your aunties." Rabbits are a particular obsession of the writers this time around, ranging from the huge Trojan Rabbit to the "killer bunny" that decapitates one of the knights.

Grail is as funny as a movie can get, but it is also a tough-minded picture -- as outraged about the human propensity for violence as it is outrageous in its attack on that propensity.Also,there's something about feature films that brings out the best in the Pythons. The occasional indulgence of the TV series is replaced by a more focused approach which wrings every conceivable joke out of a given subject.Finally,it is an instant cult classic as gut-bustingly hilarious as it is blithely ridiculous, Monty Python and the Holy Grail has lost none of its exceedingly silly charm.

My favourite comedy ever!

Author: Metal Angel Ehrler from Honduras
25 June 2010

What does it take a film to be immortalized? What moves audiences and critics alike to carve a special place in history for them? James Cameron would argue that it's innovation in special effects; Francis Ford Coppola and Peter Jackson would have you know it's the depth of a story and its epic development through trilogies; Orson Welles was quite sure it was a film's ability to perform above its time and deal with perennial topics. They would all be correct, and their respective films have triumphed and remain must-sees to the world at large. But what would be Monty Python's answer to the above questions? How would the members of this perfect English troupe deal with the pure genius of their films and the depth of their comedy? They'd stand by the fact that, um, a good deal of moose, coconut-carrying African swallows, cheeky revolutionary peasants, 'Ni'-saying knights, Broadway-style numbers and a famous historian are the key to a great, pitch-perfect comedy that stands the test of time...and you know what? Even through their silliness, they'd be correct.

Monty Python is a group of English thespians composed of Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and Michael Palin. Just to read their names together makes the reader raise his/her eyebrow in amusement, for their household names, synonyms of pure comedy. Monty Python gave England its laughs with their satirical, modern and outrageous humour reminiscent of Peter Cook, Harold Pinter and Samuel Beckett, and the few feature films they made together caused such uproar around the world that they're now considered utter classics by critics, film associations, cults, universities and families. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", possibly their most iconic film, is my personal favourite.

The plot follows King Arthur, who has only just retrieved Excalibur from its stony perch and has been informed by the Lady of the Lake that he's to become the greatest king ever. He now travels through the entire country searching for brave, wise, gallant knights who'd like to join him at his round table at Camelot. Sounds quite epic and historical, doesn't it? Well, it's anything but. The film is hilariously nonsensical, too outrageous to be believed, silly at its core; it constantly strays from the plot to present different ridiculous sketches of the knights, it presents events that are not only unbelievable but preposterous...it is, in short, a farce of what comedies and epics have come to be. But unlike other silly movies like "Scary Movie", the film's parody is pure genius and manages to make heavy political, religious and cultural statements throughout, and the silliness is actually uproarious. I laugh every single minute of it, and younger audiences will find that, even if THEY'RE not doing so, the wit and intelligence underlying the ridiculous events astonish them. Audiences of every age and generation have found this to be a comic gem to be treasured.

The film begins with THE wittiest opening credits I've seen to date. They're shown upon a black screen featuring ominous, dramatic music and Swedish subtitles. Through the course of the credits roll, the subtitles no longer translate what is being written in English but give out the weirdest, most non-sensical statements about moose; soon after the credits stop and a disclaimer announces that those responsible for the stupid subtitles have been sacked. The subtitles resume, and once again the disclaimer appears saying that those responsible for sacking have been sacked too. More credits appear, like "Moose special effects," "Moose trainers," "Miss Avery's moose", "No moose have been harmed in the making of this film," etc...to the point where a third disclaimer appears saying that everyone responsible for the credits has been sacked and a new set of people have been quickly rounded up to finish the credit sequence, which grows sillier and sillier to the very end. The opening credits foretell the silliness of the film aptly, for the remaining hour and forty minutes is a wild and crazy romp that will have you in awe. Never (and I mean NEVER) has a film been simultaneously silly and profound like this.

I can't name any particular scene to exemplify the film's genius. I rather have the reader rent or buy the film and be treated to its wonder without any warning of the surprises in store. There's epic fight scenes, outrageous musical numbers, heavy parody, controversial political and religious statements, interwoven modern scenes, some animation and, well, just about the best screen writing and acting I've ever seen. So...What DOES it take for a film to be immortalized? The answer is pure and simple: it needs to be the inspired work of geniuses, and Monty Python lives up to those standards.

Please, if you know what's best for you, SEE THIS FILM! Rating: 4 stars out of 4!!