IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 4 of 68: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Very silly yet brilliant

Author: dorotka24 from United States
1 February 2008

Like so many pleasures in life, the typical Monty Python fare is a bit of an acquired taste. Their comedy series, "Flying Circus," had many funny moments, but I would estimate that 70% of it was just very silly stuff that was so outlandish and off the wall that it didn't have much of a wide appeal.

Holy Grail had more than its share of silliness as well, but it seemed that the troupe really had outdone themselves here with clever and original material. Some of the bits were so outrageously funny that I must have nearly split my sides laughing at the first viewing with a few friends. And they hurt afterwards as well, so I was apparently not the only one who loved this type of humor.

In typical Pythonesque fashion, much of the humor here is black comedy, with bits of gore sprinkled throughout. There was no swearing or nudity that I recall, which is odd for a comedy, instead there was a great deal of violence. It's almost a bit of a satire on the tendency for media outlets to be bastardized for nudity or sexuality, while extreme violence is often viewed as fine for all audiences.

What it really amounted to was the Pythons making light of the oft untouchable British legend of the immortal King Arthur. There are so many quotable lines and bits of clever dialog that I could probably see the movie a hundred more times and still be heartily amused. This is a true comedy classic and should not be missed.

Exceptional, strange, funny and absurd movie of Monty Python...

Author: Eirik Lie from Norway, Near Oslo
25 February 2006

When I first saw this, I must admit I was a tiny bit skeptic to a low-budget movie starring John Cleese. I had seen Clockwise before I saw this movie, and I had a bad experience with that one. When that's been said, I must say I still laugh when I think of the scenes in this movie.The opening is one of the most special opening scenes I have ever seen. I saw this movie along with the rest of my class, and I'm pretty sure they didn't know what on earth that was going on. Our teacher said nothing of what kind of movie this was, so everyone thought it was serious until about 2 minutes into the opening scene. From there on, everyone knew that it would be an absurd, though funny movie. Since there are so many strange and silly obstacles, and so incredibly absurd humor, this movie is one strange, though extremely funny way of picturing the knights of the round table.

The acting is this movie is also flawless. The characters act silly and ignorant, funny and gullible, everything expected from a Monty Python movie. Now, I haven't seen very many Monty Python movies or series, but I have seen Life of Brian, Meaning of life and Monthy Python and the holy grail. These are what I mean to be his best movies.

A glittering 10 out of 10 from me. A must-see for Monty Python fans and those who hasn't seen it 20 times...

i laughed almost non-stop at its wonderful off-beat humor

Author: calnma07 from dothan, alabama
26 July 2004

I saw this movie just recently, seeing as how I'm in my teens, and loved every minute of it. I had to find out for myself what was so great about this cult hit that comedy lovers every where worshiped. So i rented the movie one night and had a very pleasant surprise. i expected some stupid, cheap movie with only a few funny parts(keep in mind, I'm young, so this was my first Monty Python movie). I was proved very, very wrong in just the opening credits. To me, this is the comedy that all other comedies should use as a guideline. I laughed almost non-stop at its wonderful off-beat humor. Most of the movie was entirely pointless yet brilliantly funny. I would recommend this movie to anyone. Its one of the greatest of all time and if you're a lover of comedy like I am, you wont be able to get enough of this movie.

GET ON WITH IT!!! - An amateur review.

Author: Danny-Rodriguez from Norway
17 April 2006

WOW! is all i can say about this comedy epic. i had seen it 8 years ago but all i remembered of it was the rabbit scene. and i had no recollection on how it ended. now 8 years later i got the double disc DVD and as usually i watch everything on the discs. including those stupid subtitle tracks. the film itself is simply brilliant. after about 3 and a half minutes of quite amusing credits it starts with a scene with king Arthur having the most meaningless argument with a guard in a castle. it's my favorite scene in the film. my favorite line i: "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! i love that line! it then goes on to another favorite scene of mine with Dennis. he was quite the menace for the king. heh...get it? menace? Dennis? it was the....never mind....

the film then plays out with oh so many funny scenes and meaningless arguments that you'll die laughing. this is the perfect film for Saturday night or any other day for that matter. totally recommended to anyone in any age! watch it over and over and over again!

A Masterpiece.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
31 December 2003

Monty Python takes a bit of getting used to, as their comedy company is somewhat of an acquired taste for most Americans who aren't accustomed to the dry British wit featured in these movies. However, they are absolute geniuses of comedy, as is demonstrated here in their first full-length feature film, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." There are excellent and memorable lines, hilarious dialog, and intentionally cheesy acting, combined to give you the laugh of the Dark Ages.

King Arthur and his lowest-budgeted knights set off on their legendary quest for the Holy Grail. What they find, instead, is series of mishaps, antics, and outright hilariously idiotic stumbling-blocks.

I highly suggest seeing this on the Special Edition DVD (KILLER RABBIT-ON!). There are added features you will undoubtedly enjoy.

"I...fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father...smelt...of...ELDERBERRIES ~! Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!" (John Cleese as the French Taunter.)

It rates a smooth 9.8/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Cult classic, low budget, and more laughs than a pack of llamas

Author: statehack from NY
13 July 2003

This is my favorite all-time film. The laughs are non-stop and the typical dry british humour is top-flight for most of the movie. The fact that it was a very low budget movie actually ENHANCES the humour rather than detracts from it. This is one of those movies you can watch hundreds of times and find something new and funny each time. I have never been much of a fan of the "Flying Circus" TV series, but this film has so much more to offer.

Parts of the King arthur story have been maimed so badly by the low-budget of the film that it takes on a humour all its own ADDING to the laughs. There are some weak parts, such as the musical numbers or sketches which are funny but not as robust as the more classic scenes such as the "black knight" or "Lancelot's tale" or the supremely subliminal "Coconuts/swallows" scenes. The humour can be quite cerebral at times, or simply slapstick, and its this gamut of comedic styles that really sets this film apart.

Still Great

Author: BigTimeMovieFan (VRWCman@aol.com) from St. Paul, MN USA
9 July 2003

Most movies from the 70s don't hold up well. Especially the comedies. But MP&THG still hangs in there as one of the funniest movies ever made. The credit sequence alone is funnier than much of the tripe that Hollyweird cranks out. (Legally Blonde 2? Puh-LEEZE!)

I first saw this movie when I was 9 years old. Sure, plenty of the humor went over my head. It was years before I figured out Dennis the Peasant's lecture about the superiority of constitutional law over a monarchy. But it was still great. I loved the coconuts!

Speaking of the coconuts, that's the litmus test. Just watch up to the discussion of tropical fruits and migratory birds. If you don't get the joke by then, you won't like the movie.

(For everyone on AOL, this movie has the greatest replacement for the annoying "You've got Mail!" Find yourself a wav.file of Eric Idle's line "Message for you, sir!" and use that instead. Just make sure you have the arrow sound to go with it.)

Lets face it this film is unique

Author: (huwhjones) from Wales
8 July 2003

Watch this after a few drinks and die laughing. Interesting that the Americans voted it higher than all the other countries (Python have a very British sense of humour). I suppose if I had to compare it to any other film it would be Blazing Saddles. Enjoy

absolutely hilarious

Author: Anjuli (SoccerChickLA) from Los Angeles
26 June 2003

This movie is freaking hilarious. It's one of those that can have you quoting lines for hours without getting bored but completely infuriating those around you who haven't seen it. Once you watch it, you will wonder why no one made you watch it sooner, and you should feel deprived of years of gool ole line-quoting fun.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Author: upor from Australia
2 February 2006

African or European? Yes ladies and gents, this is the question you should be asking yourself: African or European? From the moment this hilarious low budget film begins on their pointless task to the point where King Arthur and Sir Bedivere get arrested for murder, you will be laughing until you wet yourself. Then you will be laughing at the person next to you who has just wet their pants. This follows the quest for the Knights of the Round Table, and after being told off by God, the quest for the Holy Grail. Although the plot line is a bit mixed, the characters are developed so quickly you don't realize that it happened. The acting is somewhat woeful, but the sheer stupidity is enough to keep anyone confused.Director Terry Gilliam has dipped deep into the vaults of time and of course the Python vaults, which are all but empty to bring you this comedy, which will entertain all ages.