IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 4 of 67: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

worth the wait in gold

Author: jryan-4
4 August 2003

Way too often when I ask people their favorite movies...one of these three flicks is offered.....Spaceballs...Shawshank Redemption or Monty Python and the Holy Grail.I've always considered these movies over- rated and thus avoided seeing them while simultaneously readjusting downward my opinion of the cinematic tastes of those recommending the flicks.

I only avoided Shawshank for a few months. I've got to admit it was pretty good when I finally saw it and if I would have waited a few more months it probably would have been better and if I had waited a few years it probably would have been great. I waited twenty years to see Spaceballs and when it was finally forced upon me I watched it with an attempted open mind but kept comparing the flick unfavorably to other Brooks films like Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety, Silent Movie,and The Producers. I came away with the reinforced bias that Mel lost his touch after Silent Movie. I held out for almost thirty years on Monty Python. Then to my alarm my twelve year old daughter Mary told me that Monty Python was the funniest movie she had ever seen. I like Mary's taste and when I told her that I had never seen Holy Grail, she was surprised and encouraged me to rent the DVD which I did. I played it last night and yup, I loved it. Truly an original film. We laughed and now everybody is walking around going "neeth" etc. Of the three Grail is the best, Redemption second and Spaceballs a distant third. I wouldn't say I missed the boat..rather I waited three decades to catch it. Now I'm on board...sort of

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Author: upor from Australia
2 February 2006

African or European? Yes ladies and gents, this is the question you should be asking yourself: African or European? From the moment this hilarious low budget film begins on their pointless task to the point where King Arthur and Sir Bedivere get arrested for murder, you will be laughing until you wet yourself. Then you will be laughing at the person next to you who has just wet their pants. This follows the quest for the Knights of the Round Table, and after being told off by God, the quest for the Holy Grail. Although the plot line is a bit mixed, the characters are developed so quickly you don't realize that it happened. The acting is somewhat woeful, but the sheer stupidity is enough to keep anyone confused.Director Terry Gilliam has dipped deep into the vaults of time and of course the Python vaults, which are all but empty to bring you this comedy, which will entertain all ages.

Classic British Humor!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
24 November 2005

As we all know, the Brits have fantastic humor. They have brought us some of the finest comedies: Bridget Jones, Shaun of the Dead, Love Actually, etc. "Monty Python" is a classic comedy that should not be missed by anyone. I mean, seriously, these scenes and jokes are off the wall hilarious! "Kanighets!" and "'Tis but a scratch" were my favorite lines and scenes from the film. This is such classic and slapstick humor that I miss in movies these days. This film is rightly on the top 250 and is one of those films you should see before you die. Trust me, this is guaranteed laughter on the floor! If you don't laugh, you must be dead or something because I couldn't breathe while I was laughing so hard.

Great CLASSIC Movie

Author: jrfk2 from USA
22 July 2004

Sorry that mattymatt4ever doesn't get it, he prolly just SAW the movie when he wrote his review in 2001. You have to understand the movie in CONTEXT, when it was filmed, 1975. It was a low budget film as Python had not hit full popularity in the USA yet. And you couldn't get away with as much as you can NOW in movies.

You have to understand what they did was to slap the King Arthur myth right in the puss ("strange women lying in ponds is no means for a democratic system of gvt"), and they were really the 1st ones to do it.

And Python tends to keep re-working things in in subtle ways .. the whole swallow conversation at the beginning, later reference to it with Sir Bedevere letting lose a pigeon with something tied to its leg, to the bridge of death where Arthur's knowledge of swallows gets him across the bridge.

If you don't like slapstick, combined with sharp wit and a little hint of sex .. then you won't get Python .. and IMHO your life is that much smaller because of it.

NI!

Pull the other one!

Author: James Hauser (BohemeLVB) from Chicago, IL
20 June 2004

Proof, yet again, that the biggest budget will get you nothing but fancy effects. The script is the most important part, and this one sizzles. Perhaps one of the funniest movies of all time. Yes, there is a British sense of humor, but unlike many English movies and understanding of British humor is not entirely required. There is physical comedy, musical comedy "It's only a model". And of course it wouldn't be a Monty Python movie without ripping "society" a new butt. "Oh, King, eh? Very nice." "Bring out your dead!"

4 stars

Legendary King Arthur and his men search the land fir Camelot.

Author: Ron Waite (carlsbadrn@yahoo.com) from USA
9 June 2004

When I first saw this movie I hated it. I didn't ubderstabd it. I didn't care for the TV shows. I thought it was our silliness. One night at 2AM my cousin and I watched it on TV and we laughed ourselves silly. Maybe we were drunk, tired, whatever. From then on it was Python madness. We watched all the TV shows, watched Holy Grail over and over and when it came out on video we wore it out. We memorized the words and really freak people out in chat rooms when they don't know what we're talking about. "It's only a flesh wound!" "What are you going to do, bite me?" "Oh please, can't I have a little peril?" "No, it's too perilous". "How do you know he's a king?" "He hasn't got s**t all over him". "Bring out your dead". The writing, directing, special effects with no budget (Terry Gilliam says "it's only a model" all incredible. And the taunting Frenchmen. This is a true classic made by geniuses and why it didn't make the top 100 funniest movies ever I'll never know (either did It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and several others. I give it an big A+!!!

An excellent comedy!

Author: Shamdir from Gothenburg, Sweden
24 October 2003

Monthy Python has really managed to make an excellent comedy, it might not have advanced special effects... But the story and the jokes makes up for it.... It's by far the best comedy I have seen! It's best second to none....

If you want to see a comedy that is different to most comedies made to day see this one I can deffinately recomend it.

A film to be seen again and again

Author: Chells from Scotland
14 September 2003

This is truly a masterpiece of humourous works. Althought the 'Life of bryan' is generally acclaimed to be the most complete film by the Python team this is actually much much funnier with sharper humour.

From Roger the Shrubber to Sir Galahad's 'cant i have a little bit more peril? No it's too perilous. Bet your gay' the story bounds along jumping from one madscap situation to another. The french knights 'taunting' of the English had me falling from my chair in laughter and Michael Palin's face as a yokel demanding a witch to be burned asking 'does it hurt' brought me to tears.

Althought the ending is a bit abrupt I have seen this film well over 50 times now and yet each bit is as funny as the first time.

a great film, a brillant send-up of medieval movies and lore

Author: Alain Pilon (apilon) from Drummondville, Québec
22 July 2003

The first feature-length film from Monty Python, the quintet of physically and verbally gymnastic British sketch comics, is not only widely considered their funniest, but one of the funniest films ever committed to celluloid. Known for abruptly ending TV skits mid-stream with the segue "And now for something completely different" -- due both to their distaste for writing endings and their ADD giddiness to move onward -- the troupe finds uncharacteristic continuity here, examining one fertile topic from each of its absurd angles. Yet the movie is still comprised of distinct segments, any of which could serve as a favorite for fans who want to recite the choicest dialogue and make converts of the uninitiated. But for five minutes of sheer uncontrollable hysterics, one need only watch the scene in which Graham Chapman steadily lops the limbs from a foolishly determined knight, who continues issuing taunts even after he's been totally neutralized. Irritated more than threatened, Chapman's King Arthur keeps hacking at the prating cripple just to shut him up -- it's the only sane reaction in this ridiculous world full of delusional windbags. Chapman is a wonderful constant as the frustrated straight man, and his colleagues lob one demented set piece after another "in his general direction." The temptation is to enumerate these clever interludes, but a catapulted cow really needs to be seen to be appreciated. The only time Monty Python and the Holy Grail stumbles is at its sudden ending, a cop-out that's pure Python. Or maybe it's just that any end to such enlightened joke slinging is cause for lament.

Cult classic, low budget, and more laughs than a pack of llamas

Author: statehack from NY
13 July 2003

This is my favorite all-time film. The laughs are non-stop and the typical dry british humour is top-flight for most of the movie. The fact that it was a very low budget movie actually ENHANCES the humour rather than detracts from it. This is one of those movies you can watch hundreds of times and find something new and funny each time. I have never been much of a fan of the "Flying Circus" TV series, but this film has so much more to offer.

Parts of the King arthur story have been maimed so badly by the low-budget of the film that it takes on a humour all its own ADDING to the laughs. There are some weak parts, such as the musical numbers or sketches which are funny but not as robust as the more classic scenes such as the "black knight" or "Lancelot's tale" or the supremely subliminal "Coconuts/swallows" scenes. The humour can be quite cerebral at times, or simply slapstick, and its this gamut of comedic styles that really sets this film apart.