IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 11 of 67: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Ni!

Author: tcbuzz from Glasgow, Scotland
26 April 2002

Ni! Theyre Coconuts! Castle Anthrax! A Spanking!! English Pig Dogs! It is a silly place! RUN AWAY!!!

Sheer class, every last minute, every last word!

Ni!

So silly you'll slap yourself silly!

Author: Poivoroinen from SWEDEN
3 March 2002

This is the best the Python's have made. The Holy Grail contains their silliest material, Graham Chapman is drunk during the entire shooting and John Cleese is fabolous as french.

Well, that aint all, prepare for some of the most silly things you ever have seen. Forget the new silly movies that the Farrelly brothers do (I like them alot but they can't compete with the Python's) and do the Pythonwave instead.

*spoilers*

Unforgetable silly scenes: "The Cocoanuts" "The French Taunting" "How much can a Swallow carry?" "The Black Knight" "The Knights of Camelot" "Sir Robin's tale" "Sir Lancelot's tale" "Sir Galahad's tale" "The knights who say 'Ni'" "Tim the Enchanter" "The Killer Rabbit" "The Holy Handgrenade" "The Castle of Aaaarrgghh"

Well don't miss it. I know many get upset by the flat ending, but I think the Python's did a Kaufman there, the joke was on us, and it was the Python's laugh. After som many silly jokes for us, I guess the endingjoke is quite alright.

10 of 10.

Why not try a holiday in Sweden?

Author: Darryl Cox (DD-931) from Norman, Oklahoma
3 February 2002

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER MADE!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I got a bit carried away there.

To be honest, I had what I once thought was an unfair advantage in appreciating the Monty Python brand of humor, since I lived in England in the late '60s watching John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, et al hone their skills until they joined together to became THE FUNNIEST PEOPLE ON EARTH!

Sorry. Lost it again.

Anyway, it's been such a pleasant surprise to see that so many people (Although obviously not EVERYONE) in America can fully appreciate Monty Python. And I can rest assured knowing I'm not alone in believing MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL is a masterpiece of humor. Just start quoting lines from it sometime and see how often other people know what you're talking about...or even better, can quote the next line in the scene! And to think this film was made for something like $50,000...

It has always been a great source of pleasure for me that my late father, a career NCO in the U.S. Air Force, loved this movie as much as I did.

And by the way...A moose once bit my sister.

No, really!

Best in a theater (minor spoiler)

Author: Charles B. Owen from East Lansing, MI
19 November 2001

I'll not add to the praise of this movie except to say that it is sad that so few will get the experience of seeing this movie in the theater. I went to Monty Python and the Holy Grail when it was released and not knowing much about Monty Python. It's a fabulously silly film that I still find myself quoting today. (minor spoiler here) But, there was nothing quite like the ending, where the screen when blank, the curtain closed, and the lights came on. It was such an abrupt shock it took a few minutes to get oriented. That's lost when you see it television or DVD.

BTW, don't watch this on network television. When you take out the good parts it's just not as much fun. Rent the DVD.

High, No Low, No High, No Low, Comedy

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
16 November 2001

Let me see. How does one respond to this. There are sight gags galore. The king pretends to ride a horse, while coconut shells are struck together to simulate hoofbeats. This is just the start. Soon an involved discussion about a swallow's ability to transport the said shells ensues. The Pythons then work their ways through the countryside, searching for the Holy Grail. Like most knights, they fall victim at times to temptation. They are also beset on by cows fired from catapults and a man-eating rabbit. they more I write, the more stupid it all sounds. Much of it is dull and murky and overdone (the knights that say "ni" gets old after a while), but within a couple of minutes, there is another wacky gem, insanely delivered. Of curse, there are also contemporary non-sequiters, including the movie's ending. This is without a doubt one of the silliest movies ever made. Don't ask me to explain it.

Funnier than I imagined

Author: Emily Draper (drggngrl) from Concord, CA
22 October 2001

I finally saw this film after lots of people told me to, and i am very glad i did. I know of John Cleese, but not the others and I was pleased to be introduced to some of the funniest people I have ever seen on the small or big screen. The best part was when Sir Lancelot stormed the Swamp Castle and kicked the bride-to-be in the chest. I fell out of my chair laughing. If you don't love this film, I fart in your general direction.

Best Comedy Ever (Including the ending)

Author: Alexandra from Ohio
28 July 2001

Almost everyone seems to like this movie but very few people enjoy the ending. I thought it was a great ending that fits right in with how the Python's did most of their sketches on the show......no real ending. How else would they end it....a big fight scene and a happy ending? That's not a good ending either and it's not a Python ending.

The naughty nuns are funny.

Author: cbrown57 from Plymouth, MI-USA
20 July 2001

My favorite part is the naughty nuns.

Zoot: Spank us!

All: Yes, yes! Spank us!

Dingo. And when your done spanking her, spank me!

All: Yes, yes!

Funny in a British Way

Author: goevikes from Ankh-Morpork
12 July 2001

I think that Monty Python is very amusing. This movie in particular is a triumph of the particular style that has kept Python famous for decades. The ending is a bit pathetic (but origional) and there are a couple sequences that are basically filler but when combined with the Black Knight Sequence, the Dead Cart scene, the whole swallows/coconuts thing and the amusing credits, this movie is great. I personally think it is a worthwhile film because the average movie budget in the UK is sixpence and the entire continent has only four fields of culture: 1)Douglas Adams (Deceased :( ) 2)Terry Pratchett 3)Monty Python 4)Ozzy Osbourne

Working in these conditions makes The Holy Grail a Masterpiece.

The silliest of Python movies

Author: Matt Lustig from California, USA
15 June 2001

Holy Grail is easily the silliest of all the Python movies, save And Now For Something Completely Different which isn't really a movie at all but a series of some of the better sketches from the Flying Circus. Of course saying that Holy Grail is silly certainly isn't insulting it in any way, it may be the funniest Python movie ever made, although the humor isn't for everyone. The pure randomness and all out impossibility of everything that happens is what makes it so funny, this is definatly present in their other films but generally not to the degree that is seen in Holy Grail. I have a hard time deciding whether Holy Grail or Life of Brian is the better movie, while Holy Grail tends to get more overall laughs, Life of Brian's jokes seem more intelligent and well thought out. I would say that Holy Grail is better for a first time viewing, but Life of Brian tends to be funnier over repeat viewings. Both movies are simply fantastic and nothing made nowadays can come close to rivaling the all out hillarity that was Python.

I don't know how you people can not like the ending to Holy Grail, in my oppinion it fit in so perfectly with the rest of the movie. You guys love other odd quips of the same sort such as the holy hand grenade, the animator suddenly dying to kill off a monster, the black knight and cocconuts being used in place of horses yet a completely random and unexpected ending doesn't sit right with you? That just seems strange to me. Personally, I think having a big budget, flashy fight scene at the end would've made the movie seem stale and unoriginal, it simply wouldn't fall in with the style of the rest of the film. They needed to put in something that would make audiences say "What the hell was that all about?" at the end at that's exactly what they did.

While the members of Python have now gone their seperate ways you can still see the same type of wackiness coming up in newer movies they've contributed to. I would say the most prominant would be the films Terry Gilliam has directed, most of them aren't meant to be funny but the aching attention to detail he puts into his strange, chaotic sets will often remind you of something out of Python. The best examples would be Brazil and to a lesser extent Twelve Monkeys, both strange, fantastic movies, even though they're not particularly funny.