IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 11 of 64: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Requires abit of intelligence

Author: lyonspride
14 November 2002

This movie is hilarious yet the comedy is the type that requires a person has a fair bit of intelligence to understand what exactly the joke is. The jokes in this movie are multi-dimensional and are usually masked by extremely perverse and blunt facades. If you think the joke is a maniac rabbit or that knights say Ni and somehow injure people doing so then I think it is safe to say the real comedy of the movie went flying way over your head. Stick to the simple comedy that requires no thinking. But, if you are the type of person that can see the hidden meanings and see beyond the facade then you will see the true comedy and catch the jokes as they were meant to be captured. This is THE funniest movie ever made, but you actually have to get a joke for it to be funny.

Great movie

Author: jahsoul from Portugal
9 November 2006

One of the funniest movies i've seen in my life, monthy python really can make you go crazy. Peasants who know social politics, animal kingdom studies plus a king arthur who seems to be a total idiot yet always getting by with great "moves". The "inocence" of people in king arthur's time is replaced with cunning remarks and stunning situations. You can recognize many stuff in this movie from children books and history movies, but it's all modified to give it a really laughing sense.

I won't say much more because i do not wish to be a spoiler, yet i say that if you like non-sense laughing stuff and especially the monthy python's then movie is definitely for you, otherwise do stay away or you'll spent everything else but a nice time.

- What's the airspeed velocity of a swallow? - what do you mean, African or European?

i give it 10 cause i've never laughed so much in my life.

Pure Genius!

Author: hockey-girl228 from Australia
17 June 2006

This is by far one of the best Python films i have ever seen. It doesn't matter how many times i watch it i'm still reduced to tears, the black knight gets me every time. this movie is so stupid that its genius. the entire python crew are at their element, John Cleese works wonders and he really is the one person in this film that made me laugh the hardest. i loved the bridge of doom (if i've got it wrong please forgive me) and i have to say this, when we first me Sir Bedivere and their weighing the witch please look out for the man with shaving cream. this is the best film ever, honestly if you are feeling really terrible and you have it put this film on it will get you every time.

Funny because it's true

Author: rzajac from Dongshih, Taiwan
19 May 2006

What can I say? I went to see Holy Grail when it first came out, oh so many years ago. And what an amazing thing it is, in so many ways.

For one thing, it certainly sets a standard for excellence on a small budget. This should cause much rejoicing among film students.

I had a great interaction with my son-in-law on this. He's a next-generation fan of Holy Grail. But when I mentioned the film's insights into morality and human nature, he was a little taken aback. I gave one example; where Sir Robin gives the "canned" response to the bridgekeeper's question, "What's yer favorite colour?" The joke is funny because it's a clever portrayal of everyday cowardice. And from there, the analogy expands. Cowardice begins with the denial of our own thoughts and feelings, out of fear of confrontation. What we have might be insight, but out of cowardice we hide it under a bushel. We can laugh at Palin's portrayal of this, but there's a whole other level; a powerful, tendentious payload. There exist tragic souls who take this attitude to ungodly extremes; denying what they really feel to the bitter end of self-worth, of relationships, and even of life. And that's the genius of this scene; that Palin is, indeed, dispatched to the Chasm of Eternal Peril (or whatever it's called). It was a small thing, really; a kneejerk reaction to a harmless query about his own color preference. But the end thereof is Death. And don't you forget it!

And there are lots and lots of insights like this in Holy Grail. If you think I'm being too analytical, well, all I'm doing really is scraping the surface away in an attempt to explain the fact that many, many people find this to be a timeless classic. I'm just saying, "And for good reason."

It grows on you- it's one of the most delightful exercises in the ridiculous in cinema history

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
6 January 2005

For years I did not watch or listen to Monty Python, and in retrospect I can't entirely remember why. I remember seeing a couple of scenes from "The Holy Grail" on television when I was younger (the notorious 'black knight' scene and the harem of girls in the castle) and not finding it uproarious as I might have expected. Maybe I'm just not into British comedy, I thought ignorantly. Then I finally gave into it, as I got to be a big fan of Terry Gilliam's films, and discovered as well that John Cleese is one of the funniest people to ever come out of Britain. Life of Brian was surprisingly witty and fun as it dug its claws into a subject of some controversy. Then I went on to this film, and it took two times to watch the film until I found it to definitely be a truly masterful effort in the delirious.

The first time some of the jokes and gags and puns and visuals flew over my head, but as an emotional experience (if one could call it that) was immediate- many of the parts were funny as hell, even if I didn't think the whole was. The second time around everything fit, I laughed harder at the jokes I laughed at before, and I was officially a fan of the movie. Like another comedy classic than came out a year previous to Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, the whole story is rather inconsequential when it comes to the set-pieces and actors in the various roles. King Arthur and the knights see a strange, God-like figure in the sky (my biggest laugh the first time around, one of many genius illustrations from Gilliam) who tells them to find the Holy Grail. So off they go, and encounter a plethora of trials and tribulations along the way.

In fact, the whole film is an act of stream-of-consciousness (as was the television show, Flying Circus) where the animated bits are instrumental in taking the shape of the story, or 'skits' in the film. My personal favorites were the 'black knight', the knights who say 'ni', the 'killer rabbit' (one of the great comedy surprises I have had recently), and the boy who "just wants to...sing!". But even when a weaker bit might come along, it may be a bit that doesn't lack the fine visual detail and look provided by Gilliam and Terry Jones, or with some form of wit (i.e. I didn't find the "bring out your dead" scene as extraordinary, but I wouldn't doubt it's original).

Although many say that Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which starts and ends with total disregard (and fitfully so) for all logical rules in storytelling, that it's one of the funniest films ever made (which it very well could be), I feel only very slightly reserved in recommending it to anyone. If you're in the mood for a bloody, moody, very low-budget dip into medieval satire by five of Britain's most talented writer/actors (not to mention to 'token' American), it's for you. But it may prove too silly, and maybe too sporadic, to work as a whole. One thing that I can say without a doubt, however, is that it serves as an audacious move in post-modern comedy. To put it another way, Monty Python (not just this film but the TV show, movies, and albums) were a major influence on the guys who do South Park. It's crude, odd fun practically by necessity- you know what you're getting right when "Dentist on the Job" is just 'accidentally dropped in before the movie even starts! A+

Hehe, kch-nig-its!

Author: gek1989 from Kentucky
6 October 2004

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt, of elderberries!". One of my favorite lines! Monty Python has come out with some tremendous comedy, but The Holy Grail is one of there best! The classic British humour, and the way they deliver it is great! Plus, the story line is great! If you like comedy, this is a must see! One of the best scenes is, The Castle Anthrax! "I bet your gay!", "No, I'm not"! And you cant forget, Swamp Castle! "We are not to enter the room, until u come and get'em!", "No, you stay here, and make sure, E, dosn't leave"! The movie is great, and most people, (other than uptight squares who have no sense of humour), would agree! "Now go away, before i'm am forced to taunt you a second time-a!"

What you don't know about this film.

Author: iredfern02-958-859771 from Australia
26 March 2014

I first saw this film in the early 1980's on TV not long after it came out. I was sitting with a group of staff members on Mount Buffalo in Victoria Australia in the rec hall located near the edge of the front of the mountain. About halfway through the film - at around the 32.48 mark - we were suddenly confronted with a view of what appeared to be the same part of the mountain we were sitting on. Comments like "Did you see that?" and "It couldn't have been..." echoed around the room. Sure enough I found out later that the shot WAS of the same mountain. The Python crew have done some pretty strange things in their time, but why they decided to put a photo of a mountain that was thousands of kilometers from the original filming location in a film about King Arthur is still a complete mystery. Perhaps if Michael Palin ever reads this review he might do us the honor of solving it.

Ni! Ni! Niiii!

Author: chickydeechick from Canada
29 April 2005

I am Canadian but I appreciate British humor to the greatest extent. This film is the height of all British comedies... Or maybe of comedies anywhere! There was not one point in the entire film where I caught myself thinking "well that was pointless". Because basically, the whole movie is pointless in a positively wonderful way. The knights who say Ni, Herbert, Sir Lancealot, Tim, The black night, sir robin, the castle anthrax, the killer rabbit, mean french, are all so delightful in this movie. I laughed the entire way through. And of course, I had to show my friends, and my friend ruined my leather couch by crying so hard from laughing. (it is advised not to watch this movie while sitting on any leather furniture. ha ha This is definitely the most fun movie to watch. Mp: athg is my favorite of the Monty Python Movies... I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to rent/buy/whatever this movie. you wont regret it!!!!!

Absolutely Hilarious

Author: maskerade89 from United States
15 April 2005

This movie is one of the funniest movies ever made. The combination of the low budget, one liners, and opening subtitles make it hilarious. If you're looking for a quiet, brainy, subtle comedy, this may not be for you. But if you want a laugh out loud, wet your pants, make your flatmates think there's something seriously wrong with you kind of comedy, you want to see this movie.

See it for the opening subtitles alone. Two minutes in, you're already lying on the floor laughing hysterically.

It tells the tale of King Arthur and his knights on their quest for the holy grail. Sort of. That's the general outline, anyway. There's not actually all that much in the searching for the grail, but that's not terribly important. In place of a good solid plot, you get the best one liners and physical comedy in the history of the world. I think it's a good trade off, personally.

This movie has everything you could ever desire in a movie. It has action, adventure, comedy, and almost romance. Mostly comedy, though.

All in all, this is an awesome movie. I've seen it probably fifty times, and I jump at an opportunity to see it again.

excellent movie

Author: akelly908 from United States
7 April 2005

I love the holy grail. the first time i seen the movie i didn't really understand it but when i actually got around to watching the movie i found the weird humor funny and not over drawn. the humor in the movie is what brings the movie together. from the first battle ("it's just a scratch") to the taunting from the french soldiers, then the knights who say Ni! i think it that movie is for people that have a weird sense of humor. It's definitely not a movie that u invite your family over to watch but yet a movie that u watch with your friends when u have nothing better to do and need a good laugh. i think that the movie is great, and believe it or not there are other people out there to that have never heard of the movie but are willing to sit down and watch it. it's a low budget movie but i think that that's what also makes the movie so good. me and my friend at work enact senses from the movie at work just to lighten the mood at a stressful work environment. i def. recommend this movie