IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Page 11 of 68: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Be prepared for being mish-mashed

Author: areksmolka from Ireland
23 October 2006

I bought that film a month ago. The choice was simple- I had many other possibilities but I hesitated no more than three second. I used to watch other Python's movies so I knew what I would be given to. Till that time there is no one day when I say to myself " Arek, time for watching". Every day I must switch on my PSP, wear my headphones, and jump to bed just to forget about everything apart from "The Holy Grail". I know 90 per cent of the dialogues by heart and I regret nothing, I repeat, none second was wasted:) My sense of humor is just as one, presented in Monty Python's movies, especially in "The Holy Grail". I find something special there, which makes me feel better for the rest of a day. I recommend that film, dialogues, characters, plot to everyone interested and even if there are some goofs here in that film ( several has been already sent to a producer), rarely do I have the opportunity to find something comparable to "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

The best python movie ever made.

Author: tiina whatsit from Finland
3 September 2006

This is the best of the python movies. yes, it doesn't have a plot, really, but the comedy in this movie is so superb that you don't even notice the plot missing.

Graham Chapman is the one thing that makes Holy Grail look like a proper movie. He plays the only serious character, King Arthur. Any other python couldn't play it better or even as well as Graham.

Holy grail is a lo-budged movie, but it doesn't mean that it looks tacky or it's not shot in a proper set. The scenery looks absolutely fabulous and Terry G. and Terry J. did an amazing job with directing it together.

Other pythons also did their parts very well, especially Eric, Mike and John.

Beautiful Absurdity

Author: Gregory Anderson from United Kingdom
13 April 2006

To watch this film aptly you must know three things. First, you must expect no overarching narrative. Second, you must realise these characters will be one-dimensional, at best. And third, you must tell me what is average air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? Pray that you must never cross the gorge of eternal peril. Except when venturing near Castle Anthrax, where the punishment of oral sex with 17-19 blondes and brunettes awaits the foolhardy. Instead sit down, stay still, and appreciate the consistently spot-on sketches from the Python boys.

Now for something completely different. This is a mind-expanding film, scathing of the mythology that built these fair islands of Blighty. Classic lines, completely confident, a crew and cast having fun. This is a film to show your grandchildren. Just remember to ask them, "African or European?" AAA...

Don't say NI! to this one

Author: Stanley Strangelove from Portland, Oregon US
10 April 2006

The Monty Python cast from the British TV show keep busy playing multiple roles in this comedic gem from the 70s.

There are so many funny characters in this film. My favorite is John Cleese who gets the best roles with his Black Knight and the Taunting French Guard. Eric Idle is perfect as the Dead Collector who pushes a cart through the plague ravaged streets chanting "Bring out your dead." Graham Chapman plays King Arthur in a suitably stuffy and silly style. And we can't forget the very silly Knights Who Say NI! Terry Gilliam directed and made the graphics which are straight from Monty Python and his God in the Clouds is clever. Add some songs and dance for good measure and you can't say NI!

Absolutely Hilarious

Author: maskerade89 from United States
15 April 2005

This movie is one of the funniest movies ever made. The combination of the low budget, one liners, and opening subtitles make it hilarious. If you're looking for a quiet, brainy, subtle comedy, this may not be for you. But if you want a laugh out loud, wet your pants, make your flatmates think there's something seriously wrong with you kind of comedy, you want to see this movie.

See it for the opening subtitles alone. Two minutes in, you're already lying on the floor laughing hysterically.

It tells the tale of King Arthur and his knights on their quest for the holy grail. Sort of. That's the general outline, anyway. There's not actually all that much in the searching for the grail, but that's not terribly important. In place of a good solid plot, you get the best one liners and physical comedy in the history of the world. I think it's a good trade off, personally.

This movie has everything you could ever desire in a movie. It has action, adventure, comedy, and almost romance. Mostly comedy, though.

All in all, this is an awesome movie. I've seen it probably fifty times, and I jump at an opportunity to see it again.

King Arthur and his knights from a whole other side.

Author: julia_zesentachtig from Heemskerk, The Netherlands
15 September 2004

There's a new form of testing our English skills at our school. It's a watch and listen-test. You get to see an English documentary or something (no subtitles of course!) and you have to answer question about what you see and hear. My English teacher had the most brilliant plan to practise for one of these tests: We were going to watch The Holy Grail. The reactions were different. A few got a grin on their face, that didn't go away until the film was ended. Others looked bored or annoyed. Monty Python's humour is really particular. I myself was one of the smiling kids: I enjoyed it from the "wrong subtitles" at the beginning, until the last step of Arthur and his brave knights. Most people had never seen the film before and were immediately bored when the coconut-conversation came up. As I said, the humour is typical, but it's totally my kind of humour. The film is so ridiculous (think about flesh eating rabbits, never ending conversations about coconuts and a knight, who still lives and wants to fight after he got his arms and legs cut off) it's just very very very funny. I especially love the Brave Sir Robin song and the witch trial. Anyway, when I came out of the classroom (still grinning of course) I had the feeling this was the best class I ever had.

NI NI NI

Author: Vianney Valenza (v.valenza@tiscali.fr) from paris, france
26 August 2004

NI, NI, NI, I command you to see this film, cause if you don't I will say NI until you do so. Simply the best film about the holy grail quest (yes you can forget Excalibur and all the other movies that has been and hasn't been released. Cause this is the best and I mean the best movie that you can imagine. Simple , of the best adventure and how to make it fun (a special note for the rabbit and the beast of AAARRRGGGHHH) My only regret is that I won't have the surprise of the first view when I will see it today. A must, simply a must. and don't forget: NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI. Now you must go and see this film, it is all you must do in your existence SO DO IT. NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI NI and this till the end.

Too good.

Author: mpython013 from Pennsylvania
27 July 2004

I have had the privilege to see this film upwards of 200 times, and every single time, it somehow gets funnier. Not my all-time favourite film, but CERTAINLY my favourite comedy, this film heads the list (along with Animal House, There's Something About Mary, Dumb and Dumber, and Ghostbusters) as being, single-handedly, the most quotable movie ever created. I viewed a comment from another person stating you they didn't like this film, along with Caddyshack and another classic film whose name I can't remember. Yea, buddy, you are a part of a SMAAAAAAALL minority. Out of the thousand people I know, 2 of them "somewhat dislike" this movie, and I assure you it is because they never gave it a chance. Now, I am not pointing fingers that people who don't like it have no sense of humour...but it's making me think...

What this film does is it tears-apart the King Arthur legend with such dry wit and scathing (but mostly clean) British humour, that it takes a leap above any comedy ever produced (although it is unbelievably low-budget). Sure, it's bloody, but FAKE BLOODY. This right away makes it hilarious. Complete with plenty of hilarious "Gillianimation," an enchanter named "Tim," Knights who say "Nee!", and a cute-but-deadly killer rabbit, this film is anything but normal and nothing but hilarious. I don't care WHO you are; you laugh at something. This here is one comedy that is nothing like any else...that pushes the envelope in a time when it was unheard...that is a vacation from normality and for 2 hours allows the viewer to believe, "Hey, it's okay to be weird." See this, for it truly is a classic.

Great CLASSIC Movie

Author: jrfk2 from USA
22 July 2004

Sorry that mattymatt4ever doesn't get it, he prolly just SAW the movie when he wrote his review in 2001. You have to understand the movie in CONTEXT, when it was filmed, 1975. It was a low budget film as Python had not hit full popularity in the USA yet. And you couldn't get away with as much as you can NOW in movies.

You have to understand what they did was to slap the King Arthur myth right in the puss ("strange women lying in ponds is no means for a democratic system of gvt"), and they were really the 1st ones to do it.

And Python tends to keep re-working things in in subtle ways .. the whole swallow conversation at the beginning, later reference to it with Sir Bedevere letting lose a pigeon with something tied to its leg, to the bridge of death where Arthur's knowledge of swallows gets him across the bridge.

If you don't like slapstick, combined with sharp wit and a little hint of sex .. then you won't get Python .. and IMHO your life is that much smaller because of it.

NI!

NO person should have the misfortune of dying without seeing this movie

Author: matchapa
29 June 2004

Just like I said before, No person should have the misfortune of dying without seeing this movie. It is impossible not to laugh out loud during some of the films more hilarious scenes. I refer to the knights of ni and Robin's minstrels. If you want a good movie that has little or no thought processes needed to watch, then this is the perfect movie. The only problem that I have with the movie is in the castle anthrax. This portion of the movie makes watching it with younger immature viewers impossible, and it really isn't all that funny. However there is a simple solution , fast forward. Believe me I've watched it at least fifteen times, you're not missing anything.