IMDb > Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 64:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Pure Lunacy

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 April 2006

Well, if you want original humor, meaning something different than what you normally see - this is your ticket. The above statement was true 30 years ago, and still holds. It's just silly, far-out humor.

It's not all winners, no comedy is, but there are enough of them, and enough classic bizarre scenes that it's always a hoot to re-visit this film from time to time. The only problem I have with it are the cheap shots in gives - in typical 1970s fashion - of anything Biblical. But, it's not that bad and most of the film is pretty innocent.

It's pretty much one ludicrous scene after another. I mean, where else do you see a knight fighting on after his legs are chopped off, then his arms?!! Or a killer rabbit? It was almost like watching a Marx Brothers film 40 years later with '70s irreverence.

Don't let the PG rating fool you. This would be an easy PG-13 today with all the blood, some cursing and the violence. I know some young kids, however - nice kids, too - who love this film as much as adults, so it can't be too offensive.

If I had to describe this movie in one word it would be "lunacy."

Much fun inside

Author: randall pennington (rpennington9@comcast.net) from Chattanooga, Tennessee
23 December 2004

This has got to be one of the side-splittingly funniest films of all time.No one can deliver such cerebral humor as the pythonians,and this is truly their finest hour(OK,so its about an hour and a half).This film doesn't even wait for the show to begin to start you laughing,it goes for the throat during the opening credits(sorry I don't want to ruin it for you).It made me laugh till my tears were crying.If you are a single chap, and you want to know if a certain girl is right for you,then try this.Bring her to your home,cook her a wonderful meal,complete with a great bottle of wine,then plop her down in front of the telly and start this video(or DVD,whatever).If she is not laughing hysterically within ten minutes,then turn off the box,and break up with her immediately,as she has an impaired humor center in her brain(and will only cause you tremendous misery in the coming years).I only wish I had known of the "python Challenge" during my dating days.It would have saved me years of unremitting heartache(as well as thousands in legal fees). Please trust me on this one,it might just save your life.I give this movie an unrepentant 10,but would give it a 20+ if it were an option.

Probably the best comedy ever made.

Author: Drew St. Pierre from Maine
20 June 2012

I heard a lot of things about Monty Python and the Holy Grail from my friends who had seen it. They said that it was the funniest movie that they had ever seen, and so I suggested that I must pick up this movie on DVD and watch it. So, I sat down, watched it and I agree that this is probably one of the, if not, "the" best comedy ever made.

STORY: Monty Python and the Holy Grail follows Arthur, King of the Britons (Graham Chapman) and his servant Patsy (Terry Gilliam); who they're looking for some knights to join them at Camelot. When they meet, King Arthur gets a message from God that he and his fellow knights must go on a quest to find the Holy Grail. When they do that, they come across very ridiculous, but rather amusing encounters.

MY THOUGHTS: The humor in Monty Python and the Holy Grail is so silly and clever that it blows every American comedy that has been made in the last couple of years out of the water. British comedy literally isn't painfully dumb than American comedy, although ridiculous, the humor in British comedy can make you laugh. That's what I liked a lot in Monty Python and the Holy Grail; is the humor.

Some of the animations are beautifully drawn and it gives a way to set up the subplot; just excellent. The way they used coconut halves and banging them together to make it sound like a horse trotting is so amusingly clever. The encounters were so funny and genuinely amusing, especially the encounter with The Black Knight, which I think is one of the silliest scenes in the history of comedy ("'Tis but a scratch." "Just a flesh wound."). And the part where King Arthur and his knights come across a French soldier who is taunting, another very hilarious scene ("I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries."). There is also more, which I won't give away because I don't want to spoil the whole movie for everybody who hasn't seen this movie.

The main characters and a few of the supporting characters like Tim the Enchanter and Prince Herbert are very likable, hilarious, and well-developed. Although the rest have short appearances, they were funny as well. There were a lot of silly moments in Monty Python and the Holy Grail that I suggest that people should definitely check out.

THE ACTING: The acting in this is excellent and very funny. Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, among the other guys from "Monty Python", they do excellent playing multiple roles.

IN CONCLUSION: Monty Python and the Holy Grail is – without a doubt – the best comedy ever made. I can't recommend this movie enough. This is definitely worth checking out.

We are the knights who say...this film is BRILLIANT

Author: madam_Q from Perth, Australia
1 October 2004

*MINOR SPOILERS*

God, how I love this movie. And perhaps even more so for being a fan of the time honored myths and legends this film so skillfully lampoons.

This is not so much a film as a collection of sketches - the narrative is not so tightly strung together as in the other Python classic, The Life of Brian, but how could this matter when there are so many moments of knicker-wettingly brilliant hilarity? There's the 'Invincible' Black Knight ("I'll bite your kneecaps off!")....the Castle Anthrax ("Can't I have just a little more peril?") and, my most oft quoted moment, the French who defeat Arthur and his knights, by first taunting them and then slinging farm animals over the castle walls. I post on message boards here quite often, and still tend to pull out "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" as an insult when the going gets tough!

The Python's strength lies in the fact that they are masters of humour in all it's forms. They are equally at home with schoolboy smut as they are with high brow satire - and the result is a film which constantly throws the audience curveballs and leaves them wondering what to expect.

My favourite Python, the wonderful John Cleese, excels yet again in multiple roles as the noble Lancelot, the Black Knight and Tim the Enchanter, among others. You get the impression of barely contained rage hidden within Cleese's rangy form, and I often wonder how he would make the transition to dramatic performances. Robin Williams has made the jump, while Steve Martin has had less success - and they are two comedians who's on screen personas are considerably more "cuddly" than Cleese. The scene in which Lancelot storms the castle to rescue Prince Herbert from his impending wedding, believing that there is in fact a princess held captive, is a highlight for me. This is purely because of Cleese's rather gentlemanly reaction to news that he, in his onslaught, stabbed the bride's father in the head - "Oh dear. Is he alright?"

And then there's the Holy Hand Grenade of Saint Antioch. "And he, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it!" And the witch trial, featuring some incredibly dense peasants...."She turned me into a newt.....I got better!" Then there are the communist peasants..."I didn't know we had a king! I thought we were an autonomous collective!" And, of course, the Knights Who Say Ni.

Irreverent, childish....utterly hilarious. Complete class from start to finish.

Fetchez la vache

Author: crazychap from London, UK
4 December 2004

I also recommend anyone to see this film, otherwise, I will "fetchez la vache", which is among my favourite lines of the movie. I saw it first when I was a kid but I didn't really get it-- obviously, you don't understand what social critique and mockery are when you're 9 years old. But when I saw it again recently, I just bursted out with laughter, from the deliberate errors in the opening credits to the French Guards to the killer rabbit and so forth. For 90 minutes, Me and my flatmate laughed out so loudly that Sarah, one of our neighbours, almost called the police on us-- I didn't see any reason why she should. She didn't do it because she eventually went along and laughed out loud, too! I dated her for that 3 days later!

Without a doubt, the funniest film I've ever seen.

Author: kagrisier (kagrisier@adelphia.net) from United States
24 February 2007

There's a huge difference between American humor and British humor. American humor is the fart and burp joke while British humor is the arguing over a pointless subject joke. Python is British. Therefore, there will be many people who won't "get" this film. But those who do will have the comedy experience of a lifetime.

With a plot that can be summed up in 10 words (King Arthur and his knights search for the Holy Grail), this film isn't deep or emotional. However, the dialogue is so funny and the acting so excellent that the film feels like an epic-minus a large budget. The budget is the only problem with the film, and it doesn't detract much. You might notice the crummy special effects, but there aren't many, so it doesn't matter. Other than that, the film is beautifully shot. The epic Scottish landscapes are perfect for the film. The medieval costumes and sets are also great, but it's the acting which makes this film a true classic.

All the Pythons are fantastic. Graham Chapman is hilarious as the straight-faced King Arthur, along with a few other roles. His straight man occasionally delves into the "silly", which makes for an excellent performance. John Cleese, my personal favorite of the Pythons, is funny as the French Taunter and- my favorite role in the film- the eccentric, pyromaniac, spitting Tim the Enchanter! Michael Palin has one of the funniest moments in the film while in the Castle Anthrax with about 20 young girls. Terry Jones is a riot as the timid Prince Herbert, who sounds like Michael Crawford and yearns to escape his castle with Sir Lancelot. Eric Idle is very funny as Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir Lancelot, who frequently wets his pants and runs away. And Terry Gilliam, besides providing beautiful animation sequences, has a variety of funny small roles, including the "horse" Patsy.

Not a scene goes by that isn't funny. The humor is rich, including Knights who Say Ni, Killer Rabbits, politically active peasants, a knight who refuses to give up even when he's lost all his limbs, and a group of minstrels who sing of "bravely running away". The film is the funniest film I've ever seen. Shouldn't that be good enough for you?

Warning-you could laugh yourself to death

Author: drystyx from United States
14 December 2006

You really could laugh yourself to death watching this movie. It is nothing but hilarious. Monty Python keeps pounding and pounding you with gag after gag, and lead you down a road, but suddenly its a bridge, no, its an ocean. One of the things that really makes this hilarious is the grand spectacle that dazzles you with attention to grand sound effects, and then the next scene may be purposely cheap sets, all to make you laugh yourself to death. There is crude humor, and what I think can fairly be described as dark humor-you might not think its funny to see an animal with big teeth rip several knights to death, or a knight have his arms and legs cut off, but Monty Python will make you laugh at it. I personally think they're akin to Marx Brothers comedy, or Mel Brooks-hilarious with likable people in outrageous situations.

GET ON WITH IT!!! - An amateur review.

Author: Danny-Rodriguez from Norway
17 April 2006

WOW! is all i can say about this comedy epic. i had seen it 8 years ago but all i remembered of it was the rabbit scene. and i had no recollection on how it ended. now 8 years later i got the double disc DVD and as usually i watch everything on the discs. including those stupid subtitle tracks. the film itself is simply brilliant. after about 3 and a half minutes of quite amusing credits it starts with a scene with king Arthur having the most meaningless argument with a guard in a castle. it's my favorite scene in the film. my favorite line i: "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! i love that line! it then goes on to another favorite scene of mine with Dennis. he was quite the menace for the king. heh...get it? menace? Dennis? it was the....never mind....

the film then plays out with oh so many funny scenes and meaningless arguments that you'll die laughing. this is the perfect film for Saturday night or any other day for that matter. totally recommended to anyone in any age! watch it over and over and over again!

The Greatest English Language Comedy of the 20th Century

Author: Winkster69 from United States
27 November 2014

It's hard to overstate the importance and influence of this film. Never has a movie been so brilliant, so twisted, so far afield of anything remotely resembling convention AND so low budget, all at the same time.

This comedy forever changed our expectations of what is and what would be funny. There are only a handful of other comedies made during the 20th century (The Producers, Princess Bride, Some Like It Hot, Office Space) that are even in the conversation along with this epic.

For those of you searching for the Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane or Godfather of comedies, look no further.

Fetchez la vache!

Now watch this movie or I shall taunt you for a second time!

Author: padiyark
14 November 2011

I will preface this by saying that while I'm not a big Monty Python fan, when they get it right, it is brilliant. The show had some great sketches, but some were just bizarre and incomprehensible. The movie is 100% on the mark, starting from the titles with subtitles to its off the wall ending.

It would be a disservice to explain the movie and the great scenes in this review. But a few things to note.

First, when you take into account that this film was done in 1974, most medieval movies of the time were glamorous set pieces with handsome knights and beautiful princesses. The Pythons skewered this notion completely: Arthur and his knights were commonplace blokes, and the sets were in some muggy, ugly areas. This may have been a budgetary issue, but interestingly enough, they probably depicted medieval England more authentically than even films nowadays.

Second, the amount of times the fourth wall is broken are numerous, and just goes to shows how dementedly hilarious the movie gets, but yet still holds the story well.

That said, if you have never seen Monty Python (who hasn't?), this is a whole different level of comedy--yes, silly is about right, but not in the crude "Paul Blart" or "Larry the Cable Guy" type of silly, but at the same time, not the cerebral "Dr. Strangelove" type of silliness.

Must watch.