IMDb > Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Watch it for the Cars, Not the Cast

Author: angrytexan from Connecticut
10 November 2001

A "great movie" is not necessarily one that combines superb acting, character development, intelligent comedy and artistic direction. Instead, a great movie is one that succeeds in doing what it set out to do, and therefore the original Gone in 60 Seconds is great indeed.

The car chase scenes in this movie are superior to all others. The 40 minute chase at the end of the movie is obviously cinematic history, but the chase that excited me the most was when the tow truck was trying (and succeeding) to outrun the police. Critics of this movie fail to understand the joy that is brought to a car-loving audience such as myself when a tow truck with an actual car in tow powerslides and fishtails and eventually gets away. This is not something you see in modern high-budget car chase movies. This is the type of genius you see only in a movie created by a guy who really knows the subject matter.

If you want quality acting, well-written drama, and striking cinematography, go elsewhere... it's as simple as that. The world only needs one Lawrence of Arabia. But if you want to be stunned with incredible action scenes featuring REAL cars (instead of oh, say a Lincoln Navigator like the one in the remake), pick up a copy of this movie. And if you must have something to accompany the car chases, listen closely to the dialogue; while it may not be poetic enough for some people's ears, it'll make you laugh whether the writer intended it or not.

The best car-chase film of all time

Author: ShadySovereign from Elm Street
6 June 2005

The original "Gone In 60 Seconds" will be remembered by many viewers as the best car-chase film of all time. It will also be remembered as the film that featured lots of destroyed cars in a 40 minute chase. As said in the film's IMDb trivia: "93 cars are crashed in this 97 minute movie."

The best part of this whole movie is the 40-minute chase scene. So many cars are crashed and destroyed during the chase, including original city police cars. What's more, the chase scene had absolutely NO special effects, meaning that all the crashes and smashes were real. Furthermore, H.B. Halicki himself wrote, directed, and starred in the movie. He even drove the "star car" (the Mustang) throughout the chase!

My only negative comment about the film is that the beginning of the movie is very slow; so slow that you may be very eager to get to the 40-minute chase scene. However, if you have the DVD, you can just watch the film starting from the chase scene if you want to.

Overall, this movie had an awesome chase scene. It is the best chase scene ever filmed in a movie. It has to be seen to be believed.

P.S: This movie is much much better than the awful remake.

The original car-jack classic.

Author: Glenn Andreiev (gandreiev@aol.com) from Huntington, NY
11 March 2001

I've only seen trailers for the Summer 2000 release of GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS. But the trailers show a big budget, MTV style editing, and big stars. What it didn't show was that this thriller about a master car thief is a remake of this 1974 no-budgeter by auto man Halicki. The 1974 GI60S's charm is that it is very low budget. Some scenes, such as the auto auction in the run down lot, or the Radio DJ's cramped little studio add to some crisp atmosphere. However, the first half of GI60S is rather amateurish (One entire scene is terribly out of focus) and we have trouble following Halicki's unprofessionally written plot. The second half of the film is a car chase that has to be seen to be believed! In 40 minutes, close to 90 cars are destroyed in a massive auto chase spanning several cities, freeways, parks, lots, you just name it. For all it's sloppiness, the original 1974 version of GI60S has a neat charm.

A Real Independent Film

Author: George R. Willeman from Culpeper, VA
27 June 2001

In this day of "so called" independent film making, the majority of

which is backed by big studio money and ruined by the meddling

of "suits", it's so refreshing to see a truly independent film! "Gone

In 60 Seconds" was written, produced, directed and distributed by

the same man, H.B. Halicki, who also stars AND did most of the

stunt driving! This is truly a film the likes of which we will never see

again, thanks to our over-protective, sue-happy, society of wimps

and victims. Several comments are made about the acting in this

film. I would say that for none of the cast being professionals, they

handled themselves very well. And as for this being Halicki's first

film as a director, he must've known a few things and/or had some

great tech people working with him because the film is cut

together so wonderfully. Then too there is the sheer guilty

pleasure of see cars obliterated. I wish I could've seen this on the

big screen. So, if you're looking for a film with a lot of meaning,

skip this one. If you just want to enjoy a well crafted little film, and

see lots of Plymouth police cars get crunched--run out and get

GONE IN 60 SECONDS (but drive safely, please)!

Ace Chase

Author: Russell Davies (russell100uk) from Newport, South Wales
26 January 2006

Crap acting, dodgy voice dubbing, lack of plotting... no matter, the reason for this films existence is highly evident, the stunts are superb, the final chase builds like a classical music piece, starting off small and basic before escalating into a full blown crescendo. The sheer amount of destruction on-screen is astounding, but unlike most car chases this actually shows the consequences, with cutaways of the chase "victims" placed in between the hi-octane spills and tyre squealing thrills. Unlike the recent Nic Cage remake, which purports to be a Ferrari but is actually a Fiat Uno in disguise, this version keeps things simple and lets the action do the talking. Shallow, yes, but you'll hard pressed to find a more exciting car chase this side of Ronin.

GREAT movie

Author: zdz8888 from Manhattan, KS
1 August 2001

The new Gone in 60 Seconds is a worthless piece of garbage compared to the original, CLASSIC. '74 doesn't try to make the movie seem anything other than what it is: a car chase movie.

H.B. Hilacki is a crooked insurance claim representative that works in a chop shop and steals cars. His main business is stealing cars, then finding an indentical wreck, replacing the stolen cars VIN and other items with parts from the wreck. This group of thieves are much cooler than the 20-something dork-troop that make up the new movie.

Halicki's character gets a job from someone: steal 40, high class expensive cars in a matter of days. There is one catch, since Halicki lives by a code: the cars have to be insured. This is how the movie gets away with being able to steal cars and at the same time not make the robbers look like villains. This movie, whil being mostly action, is also a comedy. There are some really cheesey lines, but it's all in good fun so you have to laugh. One scene for example, Halicki steals the prized Eleanor, a 1974 Mustang. But her owner catches him and gives chase. They go tearing through the streets at night, causing wrecks all over the place. Finally the cops pull over the guy that was chasing Halicki and ask him what he was doing. He says he was chasing a guy that stole his car so the cops go back to his house to check. When they get there, though, they find the Mustang parked safely in his garage. HA.

This movie contains something the remake doesn't, ACTUAL CAR CHASES. Not incredibly lame helicopter chases and FAKE stunts. No, all the stunts in this movie are 100% real, and a good majority are UNSCRIPTED. Also, 95% of the actors are played by real people. The cops are cops, paramedics are paramedics, pedestrains are pedestrians, and are REALLY running for their lives.

The climax of the film is a 40 minute car chase between Eleanor and probably every cop in the city. There are at least 5 or 6 times when you think he is caught, but gets away.

This is a really fun movie with the best car chase in movie history. I couldn't imagine anyone liking the remake more than this.

Independent Filmmaking At Its Finest

Author: Joshua S. Baker (redbosox@aol.com) from RAF Mildenhall, England
3 August 2004

If you've seen the remake of Gone In 60 Seconds (not a bad movie either) then you must see this outstanding original. Unfortunately, a movie nowadays could never be done like this. H.B. "Toby" Halicki had a dream and he certainly accomplished it here. He must have had more connections than the Gotti Family. It's good to have connections. You take care of people and they take care of you. Toby certainly took care of people and was given the freedom to make this high octane movie the way he wanted to. He had a magnificent collection of cars, among many other items, and used them all in this movie. He bought cars simply to destroy in the movie. He did his own amazing stunt driving, produced, directed, and everything in this movie. Though no one was a professional actor everyone performed well. This isn't an oscar-winning movie, but it's certainly amazing to see what had to be done to make this movie happen. I think this movie is slowly starting to become a cult classic. I can find it in any store nowadays, along with his other few great movies. If you're a fan of the car chase, you'll love this movie for the realism of the impressive 40 minute car chase at the end of the movie. It is AWESOME! Best thing since Bullitt with Steve McQueen. It's great considering you didn't have the special effects. Enjoy the movie! It's a must see!

The standard against all subsequent are measured!

Author: planet_mamoo from Canada
19 June 2004

It's amazing what could be done with a tiny budget and no digital effects. I watched this after having seen the trashy remake, and expected a similar degree of dumb wisecracks and hackneyed sub-plots.

I was impressed, however, to discover real talent behind the camera. The plot is simple: a car thief has to steal 40 fancy cars in a very short time. Using a combination of skill, insider knowledge of the insurance business and just sheer brass, the protagonist and his pals start their automotive harvest. Everything seems done and taken care of, when everything goes to hell at the last moment, leading to what surely be the longest car chase put to film.

The best thing about this movie is its low-budget feel. Many of the early scenes are almost mimed, with voices overdubbed later; you don't see actual dialogue, just hear it on top of the action. But as things progress, it begins to show more polish, and by the time we get to the big chase, you get what appears to be the entire 7th Cavalry Division in squad cars chasing one li'l yellow Mustang.

A very smart touch during the big chase was to frequently cut to the aftermath of car crashes, with wounded cops and civilians being dragged from burning cars and hustled away in ambulances -- it added an edge to the film, to show there are actually consequences to these actions (and how often is that shown on the big screen?).

Aside from the marvelously-choreographed action sequences, there are many moments of great wit, which I won't describe so's not to spoil them.

All in all, a brilliant piece of film-making, made not with glitz, glamor, star-power or special effects -- just sheer talent (and pretty cars, o'course!).

As the tag-line said: "If he wants it, its gone in 60 seconds!"

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
23 March 2002

Hey guys, if you want to REALLY enjoy this flick, watch the horrific remake first. You had to be young in the mid 70's to remember the hype that went with this flick. A total B-Grader that had audiences (including me and my 19 year old wife) queued up around the block.

Considering its microscopic budget, H B Halicki delivered precisely what audiences wanted to see - truck loads of cars smashed up! No more no less! No-one handed over their (then) $5 expecting to see Sir Laurence Olivier do Hamlet, they just wanted some serious fender-bending and this they got!

Admittedly I suspect most people who own the video or DVD these days fast-forward to the actual 40 minute chase each time they load it up. I am actually watching it as I compose this critique! (Right at the sequence at the end where Harley pulls off the big swapperoo at the car wash!) Absolute stand-outs are the incredible smash on the freeway when Halicki takes out the power pole at 80 mph plus and the unimproved-upon final scene as the Mach-1 leaps several cars at the intersection. That shot, lovingly photographed from multiple slow-motion camera angles was worth the ticket price alone. The climactic scene in the 2000 version is just plain wimpy!

The plotline for the film is remarkably simple. Man steals cars for a living! For trivia fans who may NOT know. H. B. Halicki died during a stunt filming the sequel GONE IN 60 SECONDS : THE JUNKMAN which features arguably the greatest car stunt of all time. (Sorry, not telling!!)

Why cars have security systems!

Author: jrpeet from Minneapolis, MN
20 January 2001

This movie is worth viewing! The viewer needs to go into this knowing that this is a low budget, stunt "comedy" along the lines of the Keystone Cops.

Great acting it is NOT!

Great stunts it IS!

I appreciate this movie because Toby Haliki wrote it, produced it, funded it, starred in it, and did his own stunts!

The DVD edition has a nice introduction by his widow! (Toby died in a stunt accident making the sequel to this!)

Have to say ... the original is better than the 2000 edition!

Another thing "fun" about the movie ... the 70's hair styles, 70's clothing, 70's music, 70's muscle cars. All very cool! Aren't we glad we moved onto a new millennium!

I saw this movie back in 1974 when my wife was out of town and I had a guy's night out! Then completely forgot about it until I went to 2000 version with my 18-year-old son! I told him ... the original was better.

Today I bought the original. My wife, my son and I all enjoyed it.

It has comedic elements ... the car wash conclusion for example!

This is a classic ... just like the "yellow" Eleanor (Looks more like pumpkin to me!)... STUNT movie! Enjoy it for what it is and it is worth a look!

As a side ... I used to have a gold 1973 Plymouth Sebring like the blue one featured early in the film. I told my son ... "I used to have a car like that!" ... He had never seen one before!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]