IMDb > The Gathering Storm (1974) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Gathering Storm (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Fascinating epic

Author: martin_humble from Stockholm, Sweden
19 March 2002

Made for television in 1974 but non the less rather well-made and supported by great actors. Richard Burton stars as Sir Winston Churchill in this epic which spans the pre-war years of 1936-40. Following Churchill from being both ignored and ridiculed to the point where he is asked to lead the British nation, The gathering storm is interesting, fascinating and a great document of history. Richard Burton gives a powerful and fully believable performance, one of his better in the 1970s. 6/10

A magnificent performance.

Author: vespasian79 from United States
4 July 2008

I have been viewing clips from this on YouTube (not the greatest place to do this, I admit), and I have been enthralled. The entire cast (including a young Patrick Stewart, pre-Jean-Luc Picard, as Clement Atlee) is first rate, but Richard Burton is mesmerizing and unforgettable as Winston Churchill, a standout performance by anyone's standards. Fourteen years earlier, he had provided the voice of Winston in the BBC-ABC documentary "Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years". Now, he gets to portray the great man himself. And it truly is a magnificent portrayal, by one of the world's greatest actors.

My only regret is that "The Gathering Storm", along with "The Valiant Years" is unavailable on DVD for home viewing.