IMDb > The Gathering Storm (1974) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Gathering Storm (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Fascinating epic

Author: martin_humble from Stockholm, Sweden
19 March 2002

Made for television in 1974 but non the less rather well-made and supported by great actors. Richard Burton stars as Sir Winston Churchill in this epic which spans the pre-war years of 1936-40. Following Churchill from being both ignored and ridiculed to the point where he is asked to lead the British nation, The gathering storm is interesting, fascinating and a great document of history. Richard Burton gives a powerful and fully believable performance, one of his better in the 1970s. 6/10

Concise

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
7 November 2014

I'm tempted to put a check mark in the spoilers' box because I suspect the outcome of this historical tale will be news to many Americans, especially the young ones, a substantial percentage of whom believe that World War II teamed up America and Germany in a war against the USSR. One in five of us can't name the country we achieved our independence from. (Wrong answers on that 2011 poll included Mexico and China.) And here we have the story of a man named Winston Churchill (Burton), entangled in a tar baby of crucial decisions involving countries and parts of countries (eg., the Sudetenland) that nobody has ever heard of.

Yes, I think this will be news to many people. If that's the case, it might better have been presented as a documentary with a narration and lots and lots of colorful maps with moving arrows and other glitzy graphics. "Poland? You mean as in Poland Water?" It's unfair to the unknowing to hear Churchill making a brief, one- or two-sentence description of Norway being a passageway for Sweden's steel shipments to Germany, and a cut to Churchill's wife (McKenna) holding a newspaper whose lead says something about an attack on Norway. I just don't know how many of us are ready to make that logical leap.

As Churchill, Burton does a pretty good job of imitating Churchill's public voice, although when he becomes angry he brays. He gives us a gruff Churchill, whose only humor is expressed through sarcastic insults toward his fellow pols, the foreign office, and Herr Hitler.

The Germans are no more than stereotypes. Von Ribbentrop (Hardy) is one of those smilers with a knife. I'm afraid Ian Bannen -- a fine, innovative actor -- is lost in the role of Hitler. He looks and sounds like Ian Bannen with a mustache and a funny haircut. Neville Chamberlain is played as a weakling and a fool by Bailey, although Churchill gets to mouth some sensible words in his defense. Nobody ever claimed that Neville Chamberlain was a tower of strength and resolve, but I've always thought he got a bad rap on Munich. He came home with a treat signed by Herr Hitler promising that no more territory would be bothered by the Nazis. What else could he have done? Would he have prevented World War II by declaring war on the spot? His humiliation when he's replaced as PM is very moving.

In the final scene, Churchill delivers his stirring speech about "blood, toil, tears, and sweat", and it's very effective because Burton has a greater capacity for bombast than Churchill, even though Churchill was a politician. Churchill, as much as anything else, was a fine writer and speaker, precise and articulate, and this film captures those qualities well.

A magnificent performance.

Author: vespasian79 from United States
4 July 2008

I have been viewing clips from this on YouTube (not the greatest place to do this, I admit), and I have been enthralled. The entire cast (including a young Patrick Stewart, pre-Jean-Luc Picard, as Clement Atlee) is first rate, but Richard Burton is mesmerizing and unforgettable as Winston Churchill, a standout performance by anyone's standards. Fourteen years earlier, he had provided the voice of Winston in the BBC-ABC documentary "Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years". Now, he gets to portray the great man himself. And it truly is a magnificent portrayal, by one of the world's greatest actors.

My only regret is that "The Gathering Storm", along with "The Valiant Years" is unavailable on DVD for home viewing.