IMDb > The Driver's Seat (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Identikit

The Driver's Seat More at IMDbPro »Identikit (original title)

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

It doesn't get any worse than this...

Author: mark.waltz from New York City
2 November 2012

Political intrigue in Europe is the motivation for this trashy excuse for a crude screenplay, a frizzled hairstyle by its leading lady and some of the worst dialog I've heard in the pile of bad 1970's movies. The main problem, other than the confusing narrative (concerning the suicidal self-loathing character played by the legendary Elizabeth Taylor), hideous acting and rancid characters is that the film seems to be taking itself way too seriously without realizing how bad it all is. Like a selfish human being who lives through ego yet lacks any amount of self esteem, it exploits its ridiculousness in the viewer's face and never lets go. The only scene with any sense of depth was a car bombing that results in a realistic scene of mass destruction.

Poor Liz. She hadn't had a good movie in years ("Taming of the Shrew", 1967, being the last one.) This ranks along with "Boom!", "Secret Ceremony", "X, Y, and Zee" and "Ash Wednesday" as one that has to be seen (only once, though) to be believed. Even appearances by Andy Warhol, Mona Washbourne and Ian Bannen are embarrassing, as is such dialog as "When I diet, I diet. When I orgasm, I orgasm. I don't believe in mixing the two cultures." Nobody but Liz was out to destroy her career at this point. No wonder she drank! But la Liz survived, rising back up through turning to the theatre and becoming a major champion in the fight against AIDS so she can be forgiven these cinematic turkeys. The cruel wags of the 70's and 80's would have to find another victim for their vicious barbs.

Save yourself two hours of torture (unless you are like me determined to see every movie every major star has ever done). Liz had bad films that successfully pass the camp quotient, but this one doesn't get that honor, just simple disgust.

ElizabethTaylor's worst movie ever

Author: highwaytourist from United States
30 March 2007

My, oh, my, how Taylor's career fell apart. How else could she have been persuaded to appear in this Grade Z Eurotrash? There isn't much that happens in this movie, but it's all preposterous. And what's worse, none of it is interesting, not even enjoyably bad. She plays this spinster who goes out wearing garish clothes that would embarrass a K-Mart shopper and behaves strangely. She meets a lot of nutty people and looks for someone to murder her. If she really wanted to die, she could have watched this movie and died of boredom.

The only reason to see this movie is to see how low even the highest star can fall. Why did she agree to do it? I can't imagine any reason she could find to star in it, unless she was offered a huge salary and a daily All-You-Can-Eat buffet.

Strange movie

Author: elle-10
11 January 2001

If it wasn't for the fact Liz Taylor is one of the richest women in the world, I would have said she must have been desperate to have taken such a weird part. The depressing background music doesn't help either, but I suppose it's in keeping with the content of the movie. I can't see movie buffs lining up to see this one. As per usual, I got roped in with this movie because I've always been a fan of Liz Taylor's, and the video was on sale for $5.00. The tape had tracking problems I couldn't fix, so right at this minute, I stopped the video and threw it in the garbage bin. I think I've learned a lesson here. A video on sale for that low price is telling me something. Hope it may help others who read this.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]