IMDb > The Driver's Seat (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Identikit

The Driver's Seat More at IMDbPro »Identikit (original title)

Complex, beautiful, funny, and very strange.

Author: dmaxl from york, pa
20 July 2000

Elizabeth Taylor is one of the most beautiful and exciting actresses ever to grace the screen. In this film she exemplifies these qualities, along with her talent for portraying a woman of wild abandon and audaciousness. Her work in this film will remain with the viewer long after the credits roll.

The film is almost impossible to describe. I saw it not long after seeing Luis Bunuel's The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie...and I must say that I sensed some similarities between the two. While Bunuel allows mundane situations to evolve into surreal jokes and absurdities, and injects social commentary, The Driver's Seat portrays surrealism literally, in the form of a psychotic character who appears ridiculous and unintelligible, but in fact mirrors the chaos and violence of the society in which she lives.

One of a Kind

Author: jasonhurd from San Francisco, California
6 July 2004

Those sadly uneducated critics who dub this Liz' worst film have evidently never seen Boom!, based on Tennessee Williams' play The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore. I don't believe Boom! has ever been released in any video format; it is unbelievably horrendous. Compared to it, Identikit (or The Driver's Seat) is a work of genius. Liz' rant at the saleslady in the very first scene is worthy of comparison with Mink Stole's opening sequence in Desperate Living. I'm also fond of the scene at the airport, where she shouts at the security people, "You're all so suspicious! SUSPICIOUS! SUS-PI-CIOUS!" Her wardrobe looks like it was designed by a clown(her landlady asks derisively if she's off to join the circus), her hair must be seen to be believed, and I give this piece of vintage Liziana three out of four stars.

I was an extra in the airport scene

Author: jonathan_lippman from France
1 December 2013

You can see me walking behind her for a few seconds in around 22 minutes or so from the beginning and a few other shots of me from behind... she was actually very nice but well she was drinking and her language was a bit "rough" but lovely to see... I did hear her talk about her ending relationship with Mr Burton because they placed me in the airplane sequence in the row of seats in front of her so I heard her conversations with Ian Bannen between takes. She even mentioned that she usually wore her wedding ring in all her films and disguised it with stones during shoots but her ring was bare at this time.... it was a great experience and I even got paid a free lunches for two weeks.. Film barely released in cinemas. A gigantic flopperou

Fascinatingly terrible...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
2 October 2005

It would be tempting to write "The Driver's Seat" off as one of the worst movies ever, but it's rather seductive on a slim budget...fascinating in its wrong-headedness. The film has such a loopy, surreal quality, and star Elizabeth Taylor is actually attempting something (rather than just posing), that the weirdness of the entire enterprise becomes compelling. Filmed in Italy, the story concerns a highly troubled, manic woman on the hunt for the perfect man...to be her murderer? Incoherent for the most part, though perhaps that's what keeps you watching. Taylor is all dolled up, but she doesn't look her best here--and one can only wonder what she made of this verbose script and her odd, underwritten character. Still in all, I watched to the very end, and I have to say the bizarre finale (with all those chairs) struck me as original, and stylish in a tacky way. Most bad films are boring or uninspired; "The Driver's Seat" is bad, but not for these reasons. It has a certain movie-making fever, but it's been put together by unconventional--dare I say it?--talents who have little idea how to construct and mount a film. ** from ****

Elizabeth the Great

Author: wc1996-428-366101
21 March 2013

Once again Elizabeth Taylor proves she was the greatest actress of her time. This off-beat,virtually unknown film is a triumph all the way around. But it is Taylor who carries it virtually in every scene. An Italian film with a stunning Italian cast, especially the men everyone of whom is a knockout. Your eyes will dance every which way trying to keep up with the hunks in this film. There is one scene in particular where the stud is wearing overalls that zip right down the front and which are unzipped immediately whereupon the action takes place in the front seat of a car and the windows do steam up fast. Yikes! Only the Italians could create such a sensuous, utterly erotic setting for the likes of Elizabeth Taylor. No American film ever quite make her such an object of desire, but then American films are so kindergarten anyway.

I'm not interested in sex. I'm interested in other things.

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
2 March 2009

***SPOILERS*** Actress Elizabeth Taylor pulls out all the stops in playing the very unstable and self-destructive Lise who's life seems to have been shattered for reasons that's never really explained in the movie.

Lise is on a trip to Rome from her home in London not just to see the sights and go shopping for clothes but also meet the man of her dreams. That man Pierre, Maxence Mailfort, shows up unexpectedly as the person sitting next to Lise on her flight to Rome. Sensing that there's something very wrong with her Pierre bolts from his seat, as the plane was airborne, to get away from Lise who was making a play for him. This leads to another passenger Bill (Ian Bannen), who's a crazed health nut, trying to pick Lise up and take her to his hotel-room to party.

Lise having nothing at all to do with the lecherous Bill has him arrested by the police in having him framed as a drug dealer with his stash or drugs being nothing more then some dozen plastic bags with his favorite rice & vegetable mixture. It's later in the movie, after he was released by the Rome Police, that Bill tries to rekindle his relationship with Lise only, after getting kicked in the groin, to find out that she already has a boyfriend the scared of his own shadow Pierre.

Later in the movie Lise gets involved with this grease monkey Carlo, Guido Mannari, after she was almost killed in a terrorist attack on a visiting Middle-Eastern diplomat. Like Bill Carlo ended up on the short end of the stick in his trying to seduce Lisa, as he was supposedly driving her to her hotel, as well as ending up in police custody-as a suspect- in what he knew about what happened to her later in the movie. As things turned out Lise finally did track down the elusive Pierre through his aunt Mrs. Fiedke, Mona Washbourne, whom she met by chance in shearing a taxicab! Finding Pierre staying at the same hotel that his aunt was it soon became obvious what Lise wanted from the shy and terrified, of her, young man and it had nothing to do with romance!

Looking far slimmer then she looked in years the gorgeous, at age 41, Elizabeth Taylor was never better with or without her clothes on. In fact Miss Taylor showed much more skin in "The Driver's Seat" then she did in her famous wet swimsuit scene in the 1959 sexy and psychological shocker "Suddendly Last Summer". The ending of the movie may well shock many viewers in how sick and deranged Lise really was. The person who was shocked most of all was Lise's dream man Pierre who was both seduced and forced to carry out her bizarre and murderous plan!

Elizabeth Taylor Goes Shopping

Author: wes-connors from Earth
14 February 2010

Beautiful and buxom Elizabeth Taylor (as Lise) is looking for something, but it is not sex. She does not want sex, and repeatedly asserts, "I don't want sex!" But, Ms. Taylor invites, "You can do anything you want afterwards, just (censored) me!" Some of the lines uttered by Taylor in this movie are really funny. On a plane, she asks Ian Bannen (as Bill), "You look like Red Riding Hood's grandmother, do you want to eat me?" Unlike Taylor, Mr. Bannen is interested in sex. He tells her he needs an orgasm every day. Taylor talks about orgasms, too. Other men making an impression on Taylor are Guido Mannari (as Carlo) and Maxence Mailfort (as Pierre). And, Mona Washbourne (as Helen Fiedke) is a sleepy shopping companion.

Keep your remote control handy to re-play the opening "dressing room" scene, because you may do a "double-take" upon seeing Taylor looking sexy in a very revealing see-through bra. Also note, the title "Identikit" is a misnomer; while made in Italy, "The Driver's Seat" is basically an English language film.

The main attraction is watching Elizabeth Taylor essay another of her most unusual 1970s roles. She is not entirely successful, and may have abandoned all hope of continuing a serious acting career with this one. Taylor had been, for a solid decade, one of the Hollywood's most respected actresses - but, sometime after "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" (1966), she began to falter. There were, still, occasional interesting roles and moments; but, the missteps hurt Taylor's reputation. Critics would drool over each new Elizabeth Taylor film project (most with companion Richard Burton) because, frankly, their reviews were an opportunity to be more (perversely) entertaining than the films. Ironically, Taylor put film critics in "The Driver's Seat".

*** The Driver's Seat (5/20/74) Giuseppe Patroni Griffi ~ Elizabeth Taylor, Ian Bannen, Guido Mannari, Mona Washbourne

Doesn't Deserve The Rep It's Gotten

Author: dzizwheel from United States
24 May 2009

I first saw this movie on VHS with a friend. He used it for comedic commentary and I never really got to see it as it was intended. Years later I found it doubled with Lovers & Liars a Goldie Hawn movie that she made in Italy in the the dollar rack at Target.

Funny thing is, even with my friend's mindless babbling through the whole picture,the movie and very many of it's scenes are still vivid 20 years later.

Watched it again last night for the first time since and found it to be a totally enjoyable, atmospheric, creepy and unsettling movie. And strangely up to date. I don't think I have been so satisfied with the entire package of a movie in a long time. It has a lot more depth and storyline than the critics have given it credit.It doesn't deserve the drubbing it has gotten.

Having seen all three of Liz's "Overseas Adventures Series": "Nightwatch","Ash Wednesday" and now "The Driver's Seat",this one is the most interesting and entertaining of the set.

My first viewing of it was hampered by the performance of my friend trying to turn it into some "camp classic". He obviously believed the reviews and took them to heart.

If you have a preconceived notion of this movie, it's wrong. Watch closely and find out. You can't take your eyes off it and it's impact will linger for a long time after. Sonmetimes even 20 years !!!

Experimental Elizabeth Taylor vehicle is both fascinating and boring

Author: gridoon2014
20 January 2013

It's fascinating, because it's quite unexpected to find one of Hollywood's greatest female stars - an actress who defines "star" - not just peripherally involved, but leading such a shoddy production (even the location filming in Italy feels cheap, plus there seems to be a lot of dubbing). And it's boring, because there are many long, pointless sequences which add nothing to our understanding of this woman's actions. I did like the use of non-linear narrative - it helps you stay with the picture expecting (or hoping) that a major event awaits you at the end of it. But no, the only thing that happens is what you know will happen all along. So ultimately the non-linearity turns out to be much ado about very little. Despite all that, Taylor does still project some of her star power even in a film like this. ** out of 4.

A waste of everyone's time

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
1 January 2013

By 1974, Elizabeth Taylor's career had reached something of a low point. She had been in a string of box office disappointments, and now being in her forties had further reduced the movie offers she was getting. This may explain why she went all the way to Italy to appear in an Italian movie, but the end results reveal she probably would have been a lot better off staying home. This movie is a real head scratcher, not revealing why Taylor's character (who is shrill and obnoxious) is doing what she is doing, and why. With one unexplained scene after the other, pretty soon many people in the audience will get tired and confused pretty quick, and change the channel long before the movie gets to its uninteresting conclusion. The movie does have one bit of interest, however. In this movie, Taylor gets closest to she ever got to having a nude sequence, in one scene wearing a sheer bra that leaves pretty much nothing to the imagination.