IMDb > The Dove (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Dove More at IMDbPro »

Likeable and well-made story.

Author: craig mcclintock from Belfast, Northern Ireland
22 April 1999

True story about 16 year old American Robin Lee Graham who becomes the youngest ever person to sail around the world. Joseph Bottoms does very well portraying the young man and is well supported by Deborah Raffin. What makes the film, however, is the direction. I give 6/10

My son's name sake

Author: gail_paterson from leigh-on-sea, essex England
5 April 2014

I was 21 and had been married for two years when I gave birth to our first son. I had really wanted a boy so was over the moon. However two weeks after his birth we could still not agree on a name. But leaving our beautiful contented little baby with his so doting grandparents we thought a night out at the cinema to watch this would be well deserved. And so as the film began I thought this guy looks so like my husband and his free spirit so matched mine that I whispered to Kim, my husband " I love this boys name and his spirit. What about naming our son Robin?" So by the end of the film our son had his name. So as my son is having his 40th birthday this October I would so love to buy a DVD of this film to give him as I know he will be as moved as I was. Is this possible?

Good, but too sappy

Author: Matt Gilbert from Glenview, IL
27 July 2008

This is a well-made, engaging, but sappy film. It is well-paced. It contains many exotic location shots. The two stars are beautiful kids. Your won't be able to take your eyes off of this film.

The story of a 17-year-old boy who sails around the world by himself is inspiring. Part of me would like to think it would inspire young people to aspire to great things of their own. Sadly, though, this film was made at the height of the cultural 1970s, which is generally misunderstood and held up to ridicule today. To make matters worse, the romance of the situation is overplayed. By the end of the film, I was laughing at it, and I didn't want to be. There is much to recommend in this film. It's worth seeing, but it's also way too sappy.