IMDb > Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Why the film is worthwhile to me...

Author: Joe (jcmazel@yahoo.com) from San Francisco
26 April 2004

Yes, DMCL is shot well. Yes, the car chases are great. And yes, if '70's kitch is what you seek, you'll find plenty of it here. But that's not why I love the movie.

The reason I love the movie is this : the characters. I've read other users comments regarding the lack of writing or character motivation, and there is validity to that. But hey, the selling point of the film wasn't an in-depth look at people, the selling point was watching Peter Fonda and Susan George ram their car into several other cars.

But I digress, what I love about the characters (and what I hate about the characters in most action movies today) is that they are totally unlikeable. They even hate each other. Fonda is a complete jerk to everyone. Susan George rhymes with rich and Rorke is weak and ineffectual. Hey, most the time the characters don't like each other. And it's my opinion that these characters are unlikeable by design. Think about it: when was the last time you went to the movies and the main characters were people you were suppose to dislike? Rare is it that modern filmmakers will take that chance, Even more impressive, somehow you end up routing for these people.

Bottom line, it's a good chase movie, with solid performances by two 70's icons in thier prime. If you manage to catch it, you'll probably have a good time.

It's worth the pain. Really.

Author: three-seven from Norfolk, England
19 November 2004

I too watched DMCL again last month after a period of many years, and I have to say that I love it, even though it's truly crap. The dialogue's hackneyed, the plot's over-simplistic and filled with randomly-inserted chunks of juvenile self-indulgence and Susan George's performance tends to make me claw at my ears like a mangy dog but if, like me, you hate what the computer age has done to the car chase, you can't help but enjoy it.

The fact is, you've got a bright yellow '69 Charger at full pelt, outrunning a bunch of genuine Mopar pursuit cars and being rammed by a helicopter - filmed on a road, with a camera. What more do you want? In terms of real action, with no digital effects, speeded-up film or dodgy miniatures, it's up there with The Gumball Rally. And yes, the scene with Vic Morrow standing at that crossroads as the helicopter swoops down to meet him does have a certain resonance.

This film is pretty poor, make no mistake, but as an example of how cars were crashed in the good old days I reckon it should be in a museum...

"K-i-s-s o-f-f!"

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
15 October 2005

Ostensibly a mindless, flashy car-chase-&-crash B-flick has all the usual drive-in elements, but there's more going on here than at first appears. Two NASCAR enthusiasts, needing to buy a new entry vehicle, concoct an elaborate plan to rob a grocery store; Larry is the talent behind the wheel, Deke is the contemplative brains of the outfit. Soon they're saddled with good-time girl Mary, stubborn and sassy, who proves her mettle on a wild ride getting out of town. From Richard Unekis' book "The Chase", with a plot that is exactly that, yet the script by Leigh Chapman and Antonio Santean is surprisingly funny and literate and John Hough's direction is exceptionally tight with very little nonsense. Peter Fonda is appropriately manic, loose and shaggy, and Susan George has fun playing low-class (she has a tough time camouflaging her British accent, but it passes); every time Mary uses her brains, it provides more shading and substance in the character. Adam Roarke is a revelation as accomplice Deke, a sensitive, complicated man with heart and soul; he's not above larceny--he even masterminds it--but he's a thinker, and a realist. This film should have broken Roarke as a star in Hollywood, he is incredibly good. Vic Morrow has the standard role of the lawman on the trio's trail (he plays cat-and-mouse with them, and vice-versa, which is routine) and it's nice to see Roddy McDowall in a non-hysterical role as the supermarket manager. The chases are terrifically charged with adrenaline and excitement, and while the character animosities are trivial, the movie is stylish and wire-drawn. Apparently a big hit with Quentin Tarantino, who used a film-clip in his "Jackie Brown" (and adopted this picture's violent, jokey tone as well). Good show: *** from ****

A moron movie that ya' gotta love!!

Author: evilskip from speeding through California
31 August 1999

There isn't a lot of plot to this movie.Larry & Deke rob a grocery store to further their racing careers.Along the way Mary a ditzy blonde (Susan George in a great performance)deals herself in. The police give chase led by Vic Morrow as a foul mouthed unconventional, pain in the arse officer.

Larry, Mary & Deke are morons.Their dialogue is a hoot as they probably have one brain between the three of them. There are the usual squabbles and expositions along the way.You can't help but like them even if they are cretinous.you want them to get away and speed off into the sunset.

This is a great chase film with the required car crashes to take your mind off of the plot holes and idiotic dialogue.Great twist ending!A very guilty pleasure!

Larry & Mary ;not a bit contrary!

Author: happipuppi13 from Phx. Arizona ("Arizona Smells Funny"!- Homer Simpson)
19 January 2006

I'll kick this one off by saying I literally jumped for joy when I saw that "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry" had "finally" been released on DVD! I haven't bought it yet but, I haven't seen this film in over 20 years but I remember it pretty well. When the movie aired on ABC in the late 70s,I just somehow ended up tuning in (as I've stated elsewhere,my parents made no big deal out of what I watched.)

Peter Fonda plays what is in my opinion an "Easy Rider" type character except his character is a loser. (Not meaning to quote a song here) Then along comes Mary who's young and not too bright herself. Then again,people who commit these kind of crimes aren't noted for being Rhoades Scholars! So,the acting and actions of these two are played exactly how they should be. Not really thinking intelligently.

Vic Morrow did a great job and yes,him waiting for a helicopter to arrive is quite "chilling",now that I recall that scene. One thing I knew when I saw this,is that Mary and Larry were the "bad guys". Lots of movies like this one then would have made these two "anti-heroes".

I know some folks here find the ending down-beat but i for one think it's the right ending. Any other,to me,sends the wrong message. Without giving it away,when I saw what transpired,like most people,I couldn't believe it! I want to say more on that subject but I'd spoil the ending for others.

This movie is a non-stop ride and a very exciting one at that. If I can still be this excited about it after all these years since seeing it,it''ll certainly be worth the $20.00 + when I buy it. You should too! (END)

Great movie

Author: Jay Alan from Columbus, Oh
30 April 1999

This is an excellent, fun, fast moving cops 'n robbers car chase movie. Susan George is great (she's done a few car chases hasn't she, I'm thinking Eyewitness?) I do wonder why she hasn't done too many movies. Adam Roarke is good too as Peter Fonda's sidekick.

If you like fast cars and surprise endings, this is a good movie to watch. The surprise ending to this is so unexpected, nobody could've seen it coming. the most surprisingest surprise ending.

i give this movie 10 out of 10

Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Author: Afracious from England
21 August 1999

This is a fun movie to watch as we join ex Nascar driver, Larry, and his heavy-drinking mechanic, Deke, who having been kicked out of the 'circuit', decide to rob a supermarket to get the money for the 'speed they need'. Yes, this film is full of quirky dialogue, but that's what makes it so watchable. Then they pick up free-spirited call girl, Mary Coombs, and go on the lam. Good performances all around. Susan George's American accent is good, and Vic Morrow as the police captain who has a constant feud with Larry throughout. The 69 Dodge Charger is a cool car, too. But the film is slightly marred by the surprise downbeat ending, but is still great entertainment getting there.

Made when men were men and cars were cars!

Author: austguy from Australia
26 January 2006

Great classic action movie, loved it when I saw it at the movies in '74, My son loves it on video today. Funny thing; every police car that got crashed, they showed that no one was hurt in the movie. They did not have any of the nasty, hateful, blood and guts that they put into the movies today. Lets hope they never try and make a re make with computer graphics, drugs, and hair wax or gel, in a Nissan Skyline with a blow off valve, or something cheap and plastic like that. (Like the re make of "Gone in 60 seconds" or "The Dukes of Hazzard" where they have the good old Duke boys taking drugs!) Susan George was a gorgeous hunk, she was so easy on the eyes, The Dodge Charger was an absolute classic, the chases and the driving shots were terrific to watch. It did not matter that the story was not that great, it was written as a car chase stunt movie and it still is one of the greatest of all time "Bloke Movies". Sometimes when I watch it on video I change the ending:- I stop the movie when Larry says "Nothing can stop us now". I prefer my alternative ending! They get away.

What's the problem?

Author: arcanious (mtglover817@aol.com) from Columbus, Ohio
5 May 2002

with a little senseless fun? I love movies like this, where you don't have to think too hard and try and figure out what's going on, just sit back and enjoy!

i'd say this kicks Smokey & the Bandit's tail!

Fun and atmosphere

Author: ronnie p from Toronto
25 June 2000

Okay, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is basically a car chase movie. However, this movie is nicely paced and well crafted for the this genre. Peter Fonda is the focal point as Larry, and he alternates between manic and gloomy, punctuating the action with humorous comments and a devil may care attitude. Adam Roarke as his mechanic/sidekick is the anti-Larry, a guy who is dealing with his own demons and is ready to step in when Fonda's character goes too far. Susan George is the wildcard in this movie. She latches on to Fonda and proves that she is not to be underestimated. The scene-stealer of the movie is Vic Morrow as the sheriff, who produces some of the best lines in this movie. When he gets in the chopper, the pilot says, "I just take orders" and Vic replies "Good, cause I give lots of 'em...let's go!". If this sounds like nothing special, check out this movie and you will see the other element which stands out, the atmosphere. Drawbridges, apple orchards, a small town flea market, dusty roads, big trucks etc. This is no "Dukes of Hazzard" mindless kind of car chase movie. There is a lot of intelligence and humor in the script, and it is well-paced and directed. An enjoyable movie to kill a couple of hours. I never said it was Citizen Kane!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]