Dersu Uzala (1975) Poster

Dersu!! Kapitan!!
hartj-128 January 2005
A wonderful film. It showcases the natural beauty of the Taiga and presents a contrast between the technological and the pastoral. Dersu is one with the forest. He knows its ways and its moods. The Russians scoff at his ways and his 'primitive' belief system, but eventually come to rely on him, and even love him. It is a beautiful story that takes place in an world that very few of us in the West have had a chance to see. I thought the fact that the film was set in the pre-revolutionary period gave it a peculiar sort of charm - Russia before the Great War and the Russian Revolution was innocent and even naive, the same way the Russian soldiers were innocent of the wonders and the dangers of the Taiga. One of the things I loved most about this film was the cinematography - there are long, lingering shots of the landscape, the endless steppe, the forest, the rivers, the mountains. We believe ourselves to be powerful because we have been moderately successful in our attempts to harness nature for our own uses, but the film shows us that we are deluding ourselves, that nature cannot be controlled or resisted, and the truly powerful are those, like Dersu, who co-exist in harmony with nature and learn what the wilderness teaches.
73 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Once upon a time, there was a director...
vdg3 October 2004
..and his name was Akira Kurosawa. Once upon a time there was a simple man: a hunter, and simple story of friendship and reflection about life. Once upon a time a magnificent director and film crew have put a beautiful story on the screen with such perfection, that in our days we look back and we wonder: why movies like this are not being made anymore??

It doesn't matter if you like any other Kurosawa's works or any other 'Russian' films, because this one would touch you so much that you would go back and looked for similar films… I wish I could see this film in all his beauty: on a big screen, in the original format (70 mm), as I felt that I missed a lot of details from the TV format.

There are directors and there is Kurosawa, there are dramas and there are Russian stories, so when you put both of them together, what do you get? Dersu Uzala!

Enjoy it, at least as much I did…
76 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still the best movie I have ever seen
Anig-222 December 2004
Dersu Uzala is slow, serene, beautiful, but nevertheless gripping. It tells of the friendship between a nomadic Siberian native and a Russian army explorer, and how the former is able to help the latter and his team to negotiate the many obstacles presented by the Siberian wilderness. We see how traditional survival methods and intrinsic common sense can help the more urbanised army men to cope with the extremes of climate and geography. Eventually the nomad is persuaded to join the general on his trip back to a town. His ignorance of urban life is apparent, but interesting nevertheless, as we do not imagine such people nor meet them in everyday life today. Kurosawa is on top form here, letting the camera take in the vastness of Siberia, and still allowing the viewers to observe the characters closely. The story is interesting too, with a sadly ironic ending (won't say any more!). I think everybody should watch this film, because everybody will have something to learn from it.
53 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best films ever
akhilles8415 November 2001
This is one of my definite favorites.It tells a story of a man who is one with the wilderness and nature and cant live any other way.Dersu Uzala is an old Goldi(siberian asiatic minority) hunter who thinks he has been cursed after he kills a tiger.To him,every being,every part of the nature is equally worth as humans.

The film gives us accounts of one Russian captain's friendship with Dersu.They are together through thick and thin and Dersu even rescues him from a blizzard when they are stuck on a frozen lake.Dersu has all the natural senses and therefore knows when he is in danger.He knows everything by looking and observing the landscape around him.

So when he kills the tiger,its like a spell has been cast on him.Or is it just his imagination?His people believe in a ghost that rules the taiga,Kanga.He thinks Kanga will punish him in some way.Soon his fears start to get real.He cant kill his prey for food that he needs for living because his eyesight dramatically worsens.One frightening night(my favorite scene) it gets too much for him,listening to the howling wind in the dark,waiting for Kanga to send a tiger to kill him.And captain Arseniev,seeing the horror that struck him,offers him to come with him to his hometown.It happens so.

Throughout the film,you cant help but wonder what will happen to Dersu.Not only because in the beginning Arseniev searches for his grave,in retrospection,but also because he is one lonely,sad man who lives only by hunting.There is no place for him but the taiga.And when the tragedy happens,its hard not to feel remorse and pity the old Dersu.His world has come crashing down.The end specially is painful and shows that there is no mercy in this world for a man who falls from grace in his own homeground.

In the end,this film has outstanding photography,outstanding music,outstanding cast,beautiful scenery and do i need to say anything about the director? A timeless work that can never be surpassed.
88 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my all time favorites
PureCinema26 December 1998
After the box office failure of Dodes'ka-Den, Kurosawa was extremely depressed and attempted to commit suicide. After his recovery, he got over his depressive state and directed the Japanese/Russian co-production, Dersu Uzala.

Set in the forests of Siberia in the 19th century, Dersu Uzala is one of the most important films about friendship ever made. It tells the story of Captain Vladimir Arseniev (Yuri Solomine) as he leads an expedition through the woods. While his group is camping one night, a small mountain man named Dersu Uzala (Maxim Munzuk) comes across the men and agrees to act as their guide. The friendship between Dersu and Vladimir grows over the years and Vladimir urges Dersu to return to the city with him but the latter always refuses. Finally Dersu agrees to go, but finds that it is a very difficult adjustment to make.

This was the first Kurosawa film that I ever saw and it amazed me in so many ways. The beautiful landscapes, the well-developed characters, and most importantly, the great friendship between Dersu and Vladimir make this one of my favorite films.
81 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Potpourri of Vestiges Review: Simplicity can sometimes be painful as well as majestic
Murtaza Ali22 January 2011
Dersu Uzala is not just the quintessence of pristine cinema or a landmark in art cinema, but is also a living proof that brilliance can be achieved with absolute simplicity. Storytelling is undoubtedly one of the most potent tools known to man: from the Illiad and Odyssey of Homer to the tales of Jataka, to the 1001 nights of Arabia, to the tales of Panchatantra, to the plays of Shakespeare, man has always found ways to amuse himself by spinning the yarn of his imagination. These tales, though picturesque, fantastic and resplendent, mostly overlooked the potency of austerity vis-à-vis grandeur as an element of revelation powerful enough to transcend the effects of all other affects know to man. Only a handful of storytellers like Akira Kurosawa and Satyajit Ray have shown the grit and perspicacity to use simplicity as the weapon to incite and hence portray the deepest of the human emotions on the celluloid. Kurosawa demonstrated the might of simplicity as an element that can pack a punch for the first time in Ikiru and followed it up with an unending list of pristine cinematic masterpieces including Seven Samurai. But, even Kurosawa's greatest critic would not find it hard to concede that cinema does not get any purer than Dersu Uzala.

Dersu Uzala is a poignant tale of human bonding of trust, friendship and adoration between two contrasting individuals: a nomadic hunter and an army explorer. Captain Arseniev and his troops are on a topographic expedition and while camping during a night, they come across Dersu, who happens to be an aboriginal (Goldi) tribesman. Being fully aware of the handicap of being in a remote and tricky territory and of the indispensability of having an indigene in the ranks, Arseniev asks Dersu to be their guide. Dersu being humbled by Arseniev's courtesy obliges his offer almost immediately. We soon witness a great sense of camaraderie developing between the two of them as Dersu rises in status from being a comrade to a stalwart and a friend in the eyes of the captain. The long years of experience had equipped Dersu with a great sense of intuition and psychic-like abilities to anticipate change and danger. Dersu uses his skills to good effect as he maneuvers captain and his troops through the harsh Siberian terrain, sheltering and guarding them from the cruelties and wilderness of the Tundra. Behind the façade of a rugged hunter, we see a man of profound intellect and deep compassion in Dersu which is most conspicuous in his respect for the old Chinese and his selflessness in rescuing Captain Arseniev and one of his men. After the expedition is over, Arseniev embraces Dersu and bids him farewell as Dersu returns to the wilderness. Few years later, when Arseniev returns to Siberia on another expedition, he once again encounters Dersu, who again proves to be handy, only this time round he appears to be aging really fast as time, which can be a great healer as well as a great leveler, had begun to take a toll on the Goldi. His eyesight deteriorates under the superstitious effect of a self-imposed curse after having killed a Siberian tiger, which the Goldis worship, in an act of self-defence. Arseniev, in his pitied adoration for Dersu, takes him to the city to live with his family. Arseniev's son gets greatly attached to Dersu and his story-telling abilities, but Dersu finds it difficult to adapt to the relatively restricted and significantly tamed urban life and soon realizes that his life has been reduced to that of a captive. He implores the captain to let him return to the wilderness of the woods. With great reluctance, Arseniev grants him the permission to leave, but not before presenting his savior with a brand new rifle as a parting gift and a souvenir. Few months later, Arseniev receives a letter informing him that a dead body of a Goldi has been found with no identification on it barring Arseniev's visiting card. As Arseniev pays a visit to the place of burial, he identifies the dead Goldi to be none other than Dersu Uzala. The investigating officer speculates the Goldi's brand new rifle might have lured someone into killing him.

Dersu Uzala is not just a movie, but is an experience of a lifetime. Dersu Uzala is the only movie that Akira Kurosawa shot in a language other than Japanese and he proved it once and for all that cinema at its most pristine, knows no bounds or barriers. Kurosawa uses his auteurist mastery to bring the memoirs of Russian explorer, Vladimir Arsenyev to life as he inexplicably metamorphoses cinema to new levels of poignancy and pristineness. The cinematography is breathtakingly picturesque and it evokes a sense of melancholy that makes the majestic Siberian wilderness appear hypnotic and at times, surreal. The panoramic shot of Dersu and Arseniev looking at the horizon caparisoned with the juxtaposition of the setting sun and the rising moon is also indicative of their respective lives: Dersu is long past his prime and there is no hope for revival, but Arsieniev's is still in his prime and has a promising career ahead. Dersu Uzala is strongly suggestive of the sole consistency in human life: change. It also demonstrates the might of nature as an unforgiving force, strong enough to humble even the most savage of the creatures. Dersu Uzala can also be termed as an allegorical account of the environmental imbalance that unrestrained human intervention is causing.

Dersu Uzala, besides being one of Kurosawa's greatest masterpieces is one of those rare cinematic gems which can be relished again and again, each time with a completely different perspective. It's a must watch for everyone who loves and understands cinema. 10/10

For more on cinema visit:
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Favorite Kurosawa
Chukar12 January 2005
I own many of Akira Kurosawa's films. I have Ran, Throne of blood, Seven Samarai, Roshomon, Dreams, Hidden Fortress, Jojimbo, Snajuro, Red Beard, and even "Kurosawa" the documentary. I guess you can say that I like his work. The "Kurosawa" documentary narrated by Sam Shepard and produced by thirteen / WNET I recommend for anyone at all interested in Kurosawa's films as it will really wet your appetite.

Of all of his films, Dersu Uzala is my favorite. It is also one of my favorite films by anybody. It was done shortly after Akira had went through a very dark time in his life and had attempted suicide. It was his first film afterwards and the content of the film appears to reflect more than a little of his mindset at the time. Dersu Uazla is both a feel good film and also a sad film. It touches the way that people as they grow older have a more and more difficult time adapting to life as it changes and has its affect on them. The end of the film can certainly show light on the inhumanity that appears to be growing more prevalent in our society. But, I think what you remember from the film is the love between two individuals, and that is what feels good.

Many of Kurosawa's films have a great deal of spectacle, and he is perhaps known best for his Samarai films. There is none of that in this movie. Dersu Uzala is a statement by Akira of life. Akira was fighting to keep making films and was not having an easy time of it. If Akira Kurosawa could not make films, he could not feel that he was living. As a result, he attempted suicide. He survived to make this film plus many others that we all enjoy today. Dersu Uzala may be the most important of his films and the one that shows the great director's true personality. Just perhaps, it shows more about humanity than any of his other films. Again, it is my favorite.
106 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gary1704599 July 2005
Akira Kurosawa was a masterful director and powerful storyteller, Dersu has always been my favourite of his films. It was also the first I saw - on Christmas Day afternoon 1978 on UK BBC2 - would that they were as adventurous nowadays! Since then of course I've seen all of his films from Stray Dog on, Rashomon and Ran being especial favourites, but I keep on coming back to watch this one, ostensibly the simplest tale Kurosawa ever filmed.

The understanding and bonding that develops between the two men Arseniev and Dersu is wonderful to see, and over two hours holds your attention with expertly observed minutiae of character and scenic interplay. The last ten minutes cover a lot of ground (no pun intended) but it's all so logical and sad that I always need to see the end credits to recover.

So many marvellous scenes: the tiger in the forest in the morning; the phlegmatic reclusive old Chinaman; the raft; wispy blue shaded smoke from night-fires; the conclusion of course; the view of those two great men, the Moon and the Sun in the same shot. Not everyone would like Dersu, their most likely comments being "boring" - but how wrong they are they'll never know!

A film not fit to lick Dersu Uzala's metaphorical boots (or even Plan 9 from Outer Space's for that matter), Blazing Saddles was filmed the same year in America and a generation on still gets more praise than this poetic masterpiece!
53 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Possibly the best movie I have seen.
Urtica21 February 2000
Dersu Uzala is without a doubt one of the best films I have seen. It is a film that haunts me still. It is a story of a lone hunter that befriends some explorers and guides them through the wilderness of Siberia.

The cinematography is spectacular (Kurosawa--need I say more?) and the story is so well told. The story is both obvious and subtle at the same time. The old man guides them and they survive. Also the old man represents the ways of the hills--even represents the hills and wilderness itself--and we see how he fails to fit in with civilization and progress. It is a story of great triumph and great sorrow. It it does not move you, then you are truly dead inside.
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a tribute to the endurance of man and nature, featuring a masterpiece of a performance
MisterWhiplash20 February 2005
For a variety of reasons (that are well known in the darker period of the director's history at this time), Akira Kurosawa left Japan to make a film in Russia (Siberia to be exact). Instead of an epic action picture, he went to one of his other passions as a storyteller- the drama of pure humanity (like Ikiru and Red Beard, this film follows in that vein). The film runs two hours and twenty minutes, but it is a kind of epic story, that does have that pulse of adventure from his other films. But this time he combines that method of a big, spacious environment in the wild with a deep character study. His craftsmanship as a 'painter' of the frame is top-notch as always (all pretensions aside, he is one of the masters at finding the textures and moods in a scene's look as in its character and action), and the use of locations brings a quality that directors today would brush aside with via special and visual effects. Simply put, it is one of, if not the, ultimate testaments to man vs/with nature, with a character that remains one of the most memorable that Kurosawa's envisioned.

To give an idea of who Dersu Uzala is to someone who hasn't seen the film, picture Yoda without the ability to lift objects with his mind and to kick ass with a light-saber, but still contains all of the direct wisdom and strength that make him one with his surroundings (and, as well, uses his own kind of 'force' for knowledge and defense, and for attack as an ultimately final resort). As a lonesome hunter and drifter with a family tragically lost, Dersu comes upon a team of explorers led by Captain Aseniev (Yuri Solomon, not the best performance but sturdy enough to sustain the physical scenes). He goes along with them as a guide of the sights and smells and feelings that the others just can't sense (out of lack of experience). Aseniev and Dersu end up becoming friends as they brace a torrid windstorm over a bare, wintry landscape, as Kurosawa brings out one of his towering sequences (topping anything David Lean could've drummed up for sure).

It's always of interest to me to see characters doing things on screen, having to go against the elements that almost dwarf them in the face of nature (i.e. Cast Away's hour and a half second act). Dersu Uzala seems to be of few words and mostly actions, and soon gains respect and admiration after an odd introduction to the team- he shoots with a keener than keen eye, he spots tracks, he sets up protection in the harshest of conditions, and is always a step ahead of the pack. And bringing all this out is actor Maksim Munzuk, who appears here (like Falconetti in Passion of Joan of Arc) in the performance of a lifetime out of an otherwise obscure and small career. Munzuk never brings anything to Dersu that isn't in his character, and he makes at least a quarter of the film's success a reality (the other three-quarters could be attributed to Kurosawa alone). He can be tough, smart, funny (in an off-beat way), and if nothing else, humble. But more than anything, Munzuk makes Dersu seem alive in a way no other actor could've accomplished, and also brings out the better in Solomon's performance.

The story itself has a superb appeal most of the way, but it is in it's last act that 'Derzu Uzala' reaches an intensely tragic plane. Dersu does something (which I won't reveal here and has been discussed elsewhere on the message board) that brings great shame to his own self-worth. In this part of the film, Kurosawa brings out what can be said to be some of the saddest moments in any of his work, however not without logic. While it was likely a major dramatic function in the novel, Kurosawa doesn't just throw these last twenty minutes or so to let steam flow out of the picture. I sensed something almost cathartic about these scenes, that rose the qualities of the rest of the story to a higher level, to one of almost spiritual in nature. It's hard to really pin-point to one who has not seen the film (and, indeed, I have seen the film all of one time). But once its over, you may feel you have seen a work far more rewarding than imaginable- even in awe.
46 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cinematic Masterpiece
anton-614 July 2001
One of the most beautiful films I have ever seen.

Simple, gentle gold hunter-guide Munzuk teaches Russian explorer Solomine the rules of survival in Siberia; they develop mutual respect and friendship.

The acting by Maksim Munzuk is wonderful and this is one of Kurosawas

greatest films.

You never forget this amazing film.

53 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A hauntingly beautiful film set in the wilderness of eastern Siberia
Colin R. Glassey25 November 1998
On the face of it, Dersu Uzala would not seem like a candidate for a great film. The story is about a young Russian (Imperial Russia) officer is sent to the far east of Siberia to explore. He meets with a native of the region and they form a bond together. The territory in question is the wild, rugged eastern Siberia (north of Valdivostok). I would say that you have not lived until you have seen what Kurosawa can do filming nature in its raw splendor and magnificence. The scenes in this film like the wind rushing through the tall reeds, or the mist draping the forested hills, are images of haunting beauty.

Kurosawa, one of the greatest film directors of the 20th century, made his final masterpiece with film. The characters are well drawn, the sub-text of the story (the clash of civilization vs. nature) is nuanced, but most of all it is the wild beauty of nature which is the focus of this film. Once you see it, I don't think you will forget it, I know I never have.
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
pookey5614 October 2005
i have watched thousands of films and some are truly magnificent. this is the best film i have ever seen. i would have said that back in 1975 if IMDb had been around then. and no, i wasn't around during Tesla's time. this is a story of a man who didn't care if his good deeds were ever known, a man one with our mother earth. he was a simple, gifted, altruistic, spiritual man with grace and magnificence, and a human being that we can all aspire to be. this is an unforgettable film that all film buffs can try to see. the cinematography, art direction, acting, theme, score, screen play and direction are superlative and beyond description. Dersu is a man that any creator can be proud of. if we are space dust, then he is the shining star. thank you Mr Kurosawa. you are missed.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best films i ever seen
restatolon6 January 2005
This one is an incredible film from Kurosawa. Filmed in natural scenarios with natural light, brings you a very special set of feelings i have never seen in other films. It transports you to the middle of the forests, the mountains and the rivers of the Siberia, a place close to the border between Russia, China and Korea in the 19th century. A team of Russian army explorers leaded by Capitain Arseniev, met with Dersu, a native hunter. The decide to continue their path together. The film shows the everyday experiences and how a real friendship born. I feel very fortunate because i first saw this movie on a theater and then i bought it on DVD. Is that kind of movies that once seen stay with you forever. If you have the chance of watching it on a theater don't miss it.

Haunting Work Of Art.
Darren-1215 February 2000
Think of Kurosawa, and, most likely, you will think first of his Samurai epics. However, his genius stands apart from any particular genre, and this film is a stunning case in point.

Faced with such unpromising material as a story about the friendship between a Russian army officer and an aging hunter, set in Siberia in the early 1900's, most film-makers would run screaming for cover. Kurosawa revels in the story, and creates a true cinematic masterpiece.

While the heart of the film is the human relationship between the "Capitan" and Dersu, the main star of the film is the Siberian wilderness itself. Rarely can such loving care have been lavished on ensuring that the natural beauty of a location comes through onto the celluloid. Some of the scenes have to be seen to be believed: the group round the campfire with the river in the background and the wind whipping up; the sequence where the captain and Dersu have to cut reeds to make a shelter as night falls and a storm approaches; the night-time scene (I kid you not!) of the group dragging a sledge across an icy waste.

The simple story of exploration, man versus nature, and the evolution of a true friendship is both thought-provoking and deeply touching. The tiny Maksim Munzuk is superb as the title character and Yuri Solomin is a study of restraint in the role of Captain Vladimir Arseniev (upon whose actual journals the story is based).

This is one of those rare films that you can watch twice back-to-back, or at any time to restore your belief that, in addition to being a means of mass entertainment, movies really can be an art form as well.
Perfect Story
Chukar8 June 2003
Even though in many of the other writeups, there is said that it is a sad tale and not real easy to watch. I don't think so. It is my belief that the story of Dersu had to end as it did. The alternative: the broken down old Chinaman at the beginning of the story. How far do you think he got walking out of Siberia in the winter? I belive the Chinaman knew exactly what was going to happen. And, as so often in the character of Dersu Uzala you find that he thought of others instead of himself. I believe that the Chinaman surrendered his home to otheres because he knew his time was at an end, anyway. He could no longer support himself in the woods.

That character trait is what made Dersu so appealing to us and to his "Captain." Dursu was completely in tune with his humanity even though most people would look at him in Russian society as a barbarian. He always knew what to do and what was best in the woods. Which is actually a great deal like what the rest of the world really is, and what is best for the whole world. However, modern society, as we all know, will not embrace Dersu's beliefs. We will not give even though we have no use for the item, Dersu did. And, Dersu gave often when he could have used the item, remember the leaving of food in the shelter for others who might be in need.

SLIGHT SPOILER: The death of Dersu Usala was somehow correct. It is well that it happened as soon as it did as he went to converse with the Chinaman. Dersu didn't have to suffer. Dersu could no longer survive in the woods. Modern society had no place for him as he could not support its behavior. Dersu was honest about life, about himself, and saw things absolutely clearly. It is sorta sad that a gift caused his demise but as I said above, he possibly gave him a more humane death that the slow starvation he was facing. The only real sadness is that his grave was lost to someone who truly loved him.

It is an absolutely beautiful story that is true to its characters. It is really sad that Hollywood cannot bring out stories about the goodness in humanity rather than how to kill each other with as much flashy aplomb as possible. As near a perfect film as I have ever seen.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great film from one of the all-time masters
Howard Schumann6 May 2002
This 1975 joint Japanese-Russian film is a celebration of simple virtues, friendship, loyalty, love, and respect for nature. Based on the journals of the Tsarist explorer and surveyor, Captain Vladimir Arseniev, it is the story of the relationship between Captain Arseniev and an Asiatic hunter of the Goldi tribe named Dersu Uzala. With a love and understanding of the forest that is extraordinary, Dersu guides the Captain through several deadly encounters. He saves the Captain's life by building a shelter out of reeds during a ferocious wind storm. Maksim's performance as Dersu, the ancient woodsman, is very "Yoda-like": wonderous, dignified, and very natural.

The friendship between the two main characters grows over many years and several expeditions in the wild. Their relationship is beautifully developed and moves to an inevitable climax when Dersu and the Captain move back to the Captain's home in the city.

There is in this film a sense of the beauty, tranquility, and timelessness of nature. It takes place at a time in the early part of the last century when people had closer ties with nature and felt a kinship with animals, plants, and the elements. Dersu endearingly refers to all elements of nature including the river, the wind, the trees, and the animals as "men". As the English writer, Hugh Trevor-Roper said of Shakespeare so it is true of Dersu, "He sees mankind almost as part of nature, sometimes basking in a delightful, smiling Nature; sometimes caught up in a fierce, cruel, inexorable, insatiable Nature".

I was totally absorbed in this film and in its regard for the essential goodness of man and the beauty of the natural world. Dersu Uzala is a great film from one of the all-time masters.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sheer beauty
smakawhat30 August 2003
Kurosawa's co-Russian production film 'Dersu Uzala', a tale about a bonding friendship between a Goldi Siberian hunter and a Russian surveyor, is filled with classic touches of cinematic beauty, great character development, and sometimes edge of the seat survival.

This has to be one of the most beautiful looking films put to screen that I have ever seen. The landscape is filled with the change of the seasons of great autumn colours, lakes that mirror great reflections, smoke over fire in a blue hue, to winter desolate landscapes and sheering sun that sets on the fateful band of men who dare to pass through the dangerous terrain.

Throw in a great bond of characters and a lesson about a time when humanity was more in touch with nature instead of trying to dominate it, a classic Kurosawa ending, and you have cinematic gold. A film not to be missed on the big screen.

Rating 9 out of 10
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
10 not because it is perfect...
sarnela6 November 2012
When the movie ends and your breath still can't calm down and you want to share what you've just seen with the closest ones... it deserves 10.

Definitely not the perfect action/adventure. But I don't suppose it was meant to be such.

"People", he repeated all the time - "people" were everywhere. People were the soldiers, people were the trees, the fire, the wind, the beasts in the wood...

It amazed me enormously the idea of a man so well living with the nature (not "in"), so respecting it that it has been turned into a part of him.

A great example of how surviving does not make you necessarily mean and angry man. ...But a truly loving one.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Man with a Beautiful Soul
Claudio Carvalho5 December 2009
In 1902, a Russian army expedition is assigned to explore Siberia under the command of Captain Vladimir Arseniev (Yuri Solomin). He befriends the Goldi (Nanai) hunter Dersu Uzala (Maksim Munzuk) and invites him to guide the explorers through the stark forest up to Khanka Lake. Along their journey, Arseniev discovers that Dersu Uzala is a man with a beautiful soul and they become close friends. When his assignment ends, Dersu Uzala says goodbye to Arseniev. In 1907, Captain Arseniev is assigned for another expedition to the Ussuri River; when he meets Dersu Uzala in the forest, the lonely hunter joins his team and guides the group. However, he is older and has problems with his vision and Captain Arseniev invites Dersu Uzala to live with his family in Khabarovsk City. But the old man does not adapt to the urban lifestyle and decides to return to the forest. In 1910, Captain Arseniev is called to Korfovskaïa to identify the body of a man that has his calling card and might be Dersu Uzala.

"Derzu Uzala" is a simple and unforgettable tale of friendship between a Russian Captain and a lonely hunter with a beautiful soul. This wonderful movie has one of the most beautiful cinematographies I have ever seen and the camera work is impressive, with awesome angle and locations that seems to be of pictures in movement. I had watched most of Akira Kurosawa movies and I do not know how I could forget to see this magnificent must-see movie of his amazing cinematography. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Dersu Uzala"
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kurosawa looks deep into the soul of man
vmwrites16 June 2004
Like Nora Inu (Stray Dog), High and Low, and Ikiru, Akira Kurosawa looks deep into the soul of man in Dersu Uzala.

This movie, however, has another plus: The scenery, filmed in Siberia. Outstanding film!

Despite the cast of actors unknown to westerners, this film is very much a Kurosawa vehicle, with its deep looks into the hearts of both Uzala and the Captain in their original meeting, and years later.

This ranks as one of my favorite Kurosawa films. It's at least as good as Do Des Ka Den and some of the others that portray the inner workings of men in conflict with their world.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Human nature
mrinman29 April 2002
Kurosawa is one of the great story tellers of all time. If he had been living a thousand years ago he would have been the one that created fables and legends. There is often a moral in his work and there is always a portrait of humanity. In Dersu this is more naked than ever as it focuses on just two people, the Captain, a Russian military surveyor and a clever old hunter called Dersu Uzala. They are set against a backdrop of the harsh, but stunning Siberian landscape. This is where we get to see the beauty of Kurosawa's direction with his amazing ability to paint skies with his camera and make you feel the cold wind blowing across the land. Dersu and his Captain quietly wander the forests charting the land. The unspoken communication between them and the feeling of immense respect that grows is warming. A truly magical story.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best film of Akira
cubro5 May 1999
When I feel lost I know that the only that I have to do is put The Dersu's cassette in my video and wait two hours. After this story I feel in a different way my stupid loneliness, I become a man in a big space.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The ice flakes, the withered leaves, the lush green river banks and forests, and a friend to remember- from the diary of the Russian Captain
Koundinya13 June 2012
Winner, Best Foreign Language Film, 1976.

Kurosawa's best film in color. It is one of the most beautiful movies ever made. Kurosawa takes you to the colorful and picturesque forests of Siberia; a treat to sore eyes.

Dersu, a hunter in the forest, is a true son of the forest. He converses with all the life forms and treats them as fellow men with respect and fear. The soldiers ridicule his old-fashioned behavior but the captain sees him more than his customs- as a professional hunter and a guide. Dersu leads the troop into the Siberian forests, leaves them spellbound with his perfect aiming of the gun and his ever-alert ears that would sense even the faintest of the sounds. Dersu saves the life of the captain when they get lost and are caught in a fierce storm and the design of the cave-like-structure that saved captain's life further increases the admiration the captain has towards Dersu.

Years later, the captain leads another troop on an exploration into the forest and the soldiers happen to meet Dersu. Dersu becomes a senile, crotchety codger and his sharp eyesight diminishes. He is persuaded by the captain to rest at his place in the town but he feels he doesn't fit among the fast-moving and weird world where people pay for water. He is later found dead after being killed by a thief who stole the gun gifted by the captain and the captain performs the obsequies in respect for their friendship.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The only movie that moved me from inside
manshstudio25 April 2012
I have liked the work of kurosawa and satyajit ray. Satyajit rays movies are most moving but now that i have seen dersu uzala. I would say It is the only movie that has ever brought down a smile and a tear in my eye. I am myself a filmmaker of course very small one but i have never been moved so many times in a single movie.

To put in short this is the cinematic masterpiece a perfect example of how a simple story can be told in a way you cannot imagine. The cast of this film is perfect the acting better and the direction and screenplay are the best that has ever been.

If you are a avid movie goer see this film, its not those boring art movies, or movies you think are experimental. Watch this if you too claim that you been never moved by a story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this