IMDb > Cry Rape (1973) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Cry Rape (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Starts off well...

Author: preppy-3 from United States
23 April 2002

then becomes a standard cop drama.

A woman is raped (not shown) and in shows in graphic (for TV) detail the indignities she goes through with the police to prove she was attacked. This part is very good, well-acted and interesting.

SPOILER AHEAD!

Then it turns into a standard wrong guy gets convicted story. When they throw in his evil twin at the end I gave up completely. So, it's good until about the halfway mark.

For early 1970s TV this was pretty strong stuff.

Close, But No Cigar

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
1 December 2003

This was one of the first films to deal with the once taboo subject of rape. In fact, it beat the acclaimed A Case of Rape, featuring Elizabeth Montgomery, by a few months. However, while the latter film is remembered by audiences and critics alike, this one is very much forgotten. As another commentator said, it starts off fine by showing what a woman goes through during and after a rape, but the thing that killed this film was that it seemingly forgot about the victim and concentrated on the man that was wrongly accused of the crime. No wonder more people remember the Elizabeth Montgomery film. That film will always be remembered for helping to take away the stigma of such a horrific crime, while this film will only be remembered as just another 1970's movie of the week.

How did Peter Coffield pass away?

Author: celayner from United States
29 November 2006

I was a big fan of the movie Cry Rape and the actor Peter Coffield since I first saw the movie as a teenager. This was a very significant movie for a seventies TV movie. I was shocked at the time for the graphic detailed police questioning of a rape victim. I thought the rape scene itself was handled very well without being to frightening. The camera switching from the clock ticking and the her cat drinking milk added fear and suspense to the scene. It also was the first time that a movie looked at the the male as possible victim when accused of this crime. Although, I believe that the twist of the suspect's having a double was satisfying, it took away from the seriousness of the rape issue. I believe it was added for it's entertainment value. I was so impressed with Peter Coffield and the lead actress. Does anyone know how the actor Peter Coffield passed away or any website that would post details of that information? I have known very little about him except for seeing him on some old television shows years ago. I would appreciate any information.

Barriers to the provision of justice

Author: msroz from United States
28 April 2016

"Cry Rape" (1973) is a 70s style neo-noir, emphasizing crime, realism, the plight of rape victims, and the several ways in which the justice system breaks down and fails to provide justice. It's quite a good movie, made by experienced practitioners of TV-movie-making.

I watched what is called an enhanced widescreen 16x9 version, and it looked great. I could not detect any distortion from what is said to be the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio. The distortion or cropping probably came in when the film was shown on a 4:3 television set originally. The enhanced version looks like a theatrical movie, not a TV-movie.

The story is about a serial rapist and robber. The first rape depicted, with all the threat and violence intact but not done graphically as befits a TV audience, is that of Andrea Marcovicci in her first movie role. She is an intelligent, sophisticated and multi-talented actress and singer. The cast has a number of recognizable actors who have done lots of TV and movie work. We are then brought through a realistic medical and police procedural that is extremely tense and very well-done. The movie opens out to bring in the other victims, the perils of identification, the accused, the ambitions of a zealous public defender, the system of bail, and the rigors of trials and hearings. A degree of dramatization takes over after awhile and that causes a distinct change in the movie's tone.

The overall story admirably dramatizes the many difficulties in the provision of justice. There are many steps along the way, and all of them involve human beings and real human difficulties, incentives and obstacles. Justice can fail in many more ways than it can succeed within the systems for its provision and administration.