IMDb > Coonskin (1975) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

I agree. Offensive but very entertaining. Also see Fritz the Cat

Author: John davis (johndohio@yahoo.com) from Houston, Texas USA
8 August 2006

I remember when I was five and my parents thought it was a regular cartoon movie....except when the bras and bullets started flying. I have to agree this movie will make anyone and everyone upset because it is set to discriminate everyone and anyone....but the truth is it is funny as hell as it is deep. I recommend this to anyone who likes cult classics. Also try Fritz the cat and the NINE Lives of Fritz the Cat. If I'm correct Ralph Bashki did that movie too.It involves a cat that goes through hard times with family, streets,jobs , etc. When I was old enough I rented all of these movies out. Because Coonskin was an offensive title during that era it was also labeled as Street Fighter. Ralph Bashki also made Cool World starring a very young Brad Pitt. Heavy traffic was another cartoon that dealt with the street life of a young man.

Great title no?

Author: haildevilman from Tokyo, Japan
5 July 2007

OK, OK, don't get bent out of round. I was kidding.

"Bustin' Out" is actually a better and truer title anyhoo.

Racism and crime dramas get the satiric treat meant from our X-rated animator friend Ralphie boy. And he does one of his better jobs here.

On the crime front it shows the truth. They build it, defend it, then boredom and stronger rivals cause them to (maybe) lose it. See for yourself to see what goes down.

Racist? I don't know. With Scatman (RIP) and the love walrus (also RIP) being black and the main point of view, I saw it as an attack on racism mostly. The fact that Richard Pryor liked it says as much as well. And the younger (pre "Miami Vice") Phil Mike Thomas in there was a nice surprise.

It's an animated "Blacksploitation" film. That's a good thing. Done well and well done. It will make some squirm (like the lynching scene) but unfortunately that's based on fact.

But Ralphie REALLY should have re-thought that title.

If you have a still functional brain, steer clear of this one.

Author: choochoo-6 from United States
12 May 2005

I like movies.

I like cartoons.

So why wouldn't I like this movie that is also a cartoon? Let me list the reasons.

1. Incoherent. Normally when I use this word, I confine it to being just about the plot, or just about dialog, or just about characters. Not with this movie. The characters never seemed to have a consistent way of acting. The mood of the story changes half way through from a trio of country boys exploring the Big City (a manageable plot) into a ridiculous plot involving different crime bosses vying for control of Harlem. The dialog is completely incomprehensible. Maybe I don't speak 70's jive and that's the reason I didn't understand half the things said, but regardless of the reasons, you might be better off just turning off the sound. In addition, things happen without reason or explanation. For example (spoiler) when the mafia boss's wife is killed, she turns into a beautiful woman, and then is killed again. Why? Do I NEED to take drugs to enjoy this film?

2. Dark. I don't mean the mood of the film was dark (though it was). What I mean is that the color of film was too dark. Every color was a muted, dank variation of brown. It made the film vary difficult to watch.

3. Unnecessary sexual content. Often times sex in a movie deepens the characters, or provides story development, or even a good love scene. This movie had none of those elements, and the sex seemed tacked on, as if the writer/director said, "How can we make this movie more offensive?" If you like movies, do not see this movie. It will make you stupider for having watched it.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]