IMDb > The Beast (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Beast More at IMDbPro »Il bestione (original title)

Great little film.

Author: cranston mcmillan (cranstonman@O2.co.uk) from Scotland
6 October 2002

A cracking little road movie from the great,grand Sergio Corbucci. It runs like a neo realistic Peter Fonda cult classic. Last seen in the Uk in the dark distant 1980s, late night on the then minority Channel 4, this film is long overdue a revival. Giannini is brilliant in the main role, there is a devil may care attitude to life that runs through this film from the first frame to the last line which is a total killer.

A sort of Italian Gas-Oil

Author: GUENOT PHILIPPE (philippe.guenot@dbmail.com) from France
31 January 2016

What could I say about this Italian flick starring Michel Constantin? Nothing much, I am afraid. The tale of two truck drivers who have to fight against the local mafia. Not really a road movie, but a talkative film, in the pure Italian fashion, with a few action sequences. But, beware, nothing to do with other brutal Italian movies as we could see in the seventies. Flat, boring, a sort of GAS-OIL rip off, made twenty years earlier by Gilles Grangier and starring Jean Gabin. Nearly the same scheme. I am not surprised there is only one review for this movie. Not a crap, after all Sergio Corbucci was not a crap maker. Only one thing, it's important you like Italian cinema, with everything that means, in terms of filming, sound, score, acting. Otherwise, get away from it. There could have been a fantastic climax with the truck sequence, near the cliff, but unfortunately it failed. And also an unexpected, unusual and unsatisfactory ending, which many will disapprove. I like it.

A good time waster anyway.