IMDb > Beautiful People (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Beautiful People More at IMDbPro »Animals Are Beautiful People (original title)

Beautiful film about beautiful people

Author: Bobs-9 from Chicago, Illinois, USA
9 June 2003

With the new DVD release, I just watched this film for the first time in about 10 years, and it's as delightful as I remembered it.

I'm not completely stupid, and realize that real animals don't usually make cartoon-like sound effects, i.e. an ostrich craning his neck in disbelief and going "huh?" or beetles making screeching car noises. I know that marabou aren't really judgmental, and that pelicans aren't really pompous. I consider myself a reasonably sophisticated film viewer, and can see that the seeds being shot out of the little dry plant in one scene are animated, not real. If you feel colorful bits of embroidered reality like this render a so-called documentary unwatchable, then reach behind yourself and carefully remove the stick from up your posterior. Oh, never mind, just watch "Nova."

Maybe "documentary" isn't the right word to describe this film, which is an entertainment that incorporates nature footage and some nature fact, dramatic or comedic invention, and musical accompaniment. What would you call it? It's sort of a "whatsit." Whatever it is, it warms the cockles of my heart, and this cockle-warmer can be enjoyed by people of all ages – something rare enough these days. It is, in general, wry and amusing, but the part that made an overwhelming impact on me since my first viewing is that near the end, where a pitiful troupe of abandoned pelican chicks are dying in the scorching sun. The three-day struggle of the clouds to drop rain onto the desert, and the sun's efforts to prevent it, are depicted as a titanic battle of opposing armies, with spectacularly beautiful footage of clouds and sunlight dramatically accompanied by the Liszt tone poem "Les Preludes." I still find this imaginative interpretation of these natural events absolutely gripping, and I imagine it must have made a powerful impression on many young kids who've seen this film over the years. The final scene is pure joy.

Do see this film. Buy the DVD. It's excellent, and the chances are overwhelming that you will like it. Most people seem to.

Maybe animals have more fun than people do.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
25 May 1999

Most documentary films involving animals are on the rather serious side. This one is an exception. Animals captured on film often times encountering situations not unlike that of people. A viewer would have to be wrapped pretty tight to not laugh at least once during this film. Have you ever seen a monkey with a hangover? You will if you watch this delightful film.

The funniest documentary ever

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
31 December 2004

I've always loved animals and I don't really have any favorites, although I find fishes very interesting to watch. Sometimes I even have more fun with my pets than with people because they don't think about their actions, they just do what they like to do. I also like to watch documentaries, although I have to say that many documentaries can get boring after a while. But this movie isn't just an ordinary documentary, it's actually a comedy. When this movie was on television I absolutely wanted to watch it.

Never have I ever seen a documentary that showed us the animal world in this way, but I have to say that I'm a big fan. I just loved the combination of the funny narration with the nice images and the music. It all worked perfectly and I had some great laughs several times. This could have been another boring documentary, but it wasn't. It was actually the best one I had seen in years. I give it an 8.5/10

SCREECH!

Author: bigsleepj from Captain Nemo's Submarine
8 November 2001

Beautiful People is a masterpiece. Why? Becuase its a two hour long documentary that children can see without getting bored. I watched this at the age of five and it captivated me. Why?

Because director Uys uses sound effects that doesn't always ocur in nature. For instance: see the little beatle run. See how it runs. Suddenly it stops dead in its tracks! And when it stops you hear the sound of screeching tires! Classic! The narrator sometimes sarcastic remarks are funny too.

There is also a part where a nest with birdies is set alight by a natural occurence that would have any child in his/hers right mind in tears. (I didn't cry, which only proves my statement).

But, even though it is zany at some points, it is still informative. It's a documentary, after all. Buy it and see it. If you dont like it then there is something wrong with you!

The best documentary I've ever seen

Author: Biljana Jankelic from South Africa
23 September 2001

I loved this movie so much that I watched it at least 5 times at the very time when it was released. I've just seen it again after 27 years and I am still in love with it. Seeing that, my friend Sandy promised to buy me a copy for Christmas. Guess how many more times I am going to watch it?! I greatly recommend this movie to all people of all ages.

excellent documentary film

Author: ifikree from United Arab Emirates
19 July 2001

This is one of the best documentary film I have ever seen. I have watched it for more than 10 times, specially the scene when the animals are drunk and the way they walk back home. This is a film which every body can watch and enjoy it.

The best comedy ever!

Author: Jack Jensen from Belgium
14 March 2006

Okay, I have written some rather unfriendly comments before, but there can be nothing bad said about this movie. In this movie, the director shows how much of a comic genius he really is. The scenes are wonderfully played out, considering the animals are not acting; makes me wonder how many thousands of takes the director must have had. The director plays the role of the narrator in a sort of zoological commentary on how animals of the Kalahari act really like humans, and they really do. They even get drunk like humans. The editing is great and the colours are wonderful, in my point of view. I remember the first time I saw this movie, I thought I would have died of laughter 4 or 5 times, I even had to check my pulse to make sure. That is how funny this movie is. It is worth the money and the time by a long-shot. Enjoy, everyone.

Oh Joy oh Bliss

Author: guruB
30 July 2002

The best animal documentary you will ever watch. Funny and exciting. You will love every minute of it. Greatest fun I've had in years.

Do not miss it. A classic in every sense.

best wild life movie

Author: yngyani from Singapore
6 June 2007

I watched this movie when i was 12 yrs old, it left an impression in my mind and i still am in awe abt the movie and the scenes depicted in it.

the Bedouins sleeping on the desert dunes with their heads raised...could not imagine doing it.

a single drop of morning dew acts as a magnifying lenses to set a tree full of birds nest on fire.

the wild berries intoxicating effects on the monkey..awesome

During the great summer when there is a drought, the local tribesman catches a monkey and starves it by tying it to stake in the hot sun. feeds it with rock salt..making the monkey dreadfully thirsty.

and when he releases the monkey, the first thing the ape does is scamper towards the hidden oasis...this is the best scene.

highly recommended movie..must see with your kids and family.

i ordered one from amazon..too good

A Classic Documentary

Author: dallas_nyberg from Australia
15 February 2014

Animals Are Beautiful People was made in 1974 and was a staple at most movie theaters and Drive-ins at that time. It was shot in the desert regions of West Africa and traces the trials and tribulations of animals trying to survive throughout the wet and dry seasons of this harsh region. The narration and editing endeavor to give it a comical slant, although there are a few harrowing scenes as well. The cynical technical geeks will quickly note the occasional crude use of 1970's computer/animation tricks, but it does not really detract from the context of the movie. It is interesting to watch and would suit most ages. Given the age of this movie, the region it covers has probably changed a bit over the years, but the situations there today are probably similar to this. If you enjoyed documentaries like The Vanishing Prairie and The Painted Desert, you will enjoy this as well. Well worth a look.