IMDb > Abby (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Abby

Abby More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

"My soul is a witness for my Lord..."

Author: Vince-5 from northeastern PA
2 May 2001

Scary, hilarious, and vastly better than its reputation suggests, Abby has a number of moments where you don't know whether to laugh or scream. I, personally, ended up laughing most of the time. One of these scenes has Abby (Carol Speed) beating up a concerned family friend while chanting, "Here we go 'round the merry-go-round, merry-go-round, merry-go-round...." Another moment has Abby obscenely salivating over chicken blood. Still another is when she rips open her blouse and begins spouting four-letter words at a marriage-counseling session. Then there's the discotheque exorcism, with the demon bellowing and swearing as the joint is telekinetically demolished. A lot of the movie is ridiculous, yes, but that's why it's so horrific. If it were rational, what would be the point?

Some scenes, however, fall off the humor-horror fence onto the comedy side. The best example of this is Abby's performance of the soulful "My Soul is a Witness" in the church choir. The problem is, Carol can't sing! Another character mentions her "angelic voice." Apparently the angels live in her sinuses! Then there's the use of fried chicken as a constant theme and Juanita Moore's sage pearls of wisdom about "lovin' a good man."

The performances range from passable to quite good. The best comes from the always dignified, commanding William Marshall as the exorcist. Paula Henderson's main theme, "Will We Find Our Tomorrows," is memorable, as is most everything else about the movie. Though it's often silly, Abby is never dull.

Trivia: Made for $500,000, Abby was a substantial success, grossing $9 million during its month in theaters. After that month, Warners sued and profits were frozen. Director William Girdler died two weeks after the suit was settled and never saw a dime.

Though one can't blame the Warner Bros. lawsuit because of similarities to its The Exorcist, AIP's Abby is a good horror thriller in its own right

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
11 February 2012

Though I knew there were some DVD copies around, I guess I should thank YouTube for finally being able to watch this movie since that's where I discovered it. Having seen it, I can see why Warner Brothers sued and won their lawsuit against American International for blatantly copying WB's hit The Exorcist. Sure, the differences are that one involved a girl child and the other a grown woman but they both have shaking furniture and demonic possession in which they both say very vulgar things involving sex. Okay, with that out of the way, let me say what I think of it. I thought it was hilarious whenever the title character played by Carol Speed had-through the voice of Bob Holt-said all those blatantly provocative remarks to various people but after that, I managed to also find some genuine scares and thrills. Both Ms. Speed and William Marshall as Bishop Garnet Williams who tries to get the demon out of her provide great presence in their scenes together. But the supporting players of Terry Carter (Rev. Emmett Williams, Abby's husband and Garnet's son), Austin Stoker (Abby's brother Det. Cass Potter), and especially Juanita Moore (Miranda "Momma" Potter) also hold their own against them. If there's one thing I have a beef with, it's the print I watched. Perhaps because of that lawsuit, no one's bothered to restore it. So the one I saw looked washed out. Still, the sound wasn't bad so that's a plus. Really, all I'll say now is if you get the chance to watch Abby, go for it! P.S. How interesting that after not sharing a scene in The Mack, Ms. Speed and Ms. Moore played daughter and mother in this. And nice to hear Carol's writing and singing skills with the song "My Soul is a Witness".

Wild Blaxploitation Twist On The Exorcist!

Author: Ian Fab! (soberboy98@aol.com) from Studio City, CA
29 September 1999

ABBY DOESN'T NEED A MAN -- THE DEVIL IS HER LOVER NOW!! This very rare film which I was lucky enough to see the one week it played here in downtown Los Angeles during the Seventies (the prints were destroyed soon after the makers of The Exorcist sued for copyright infringement and won) is not only a great entry into the possession genre, but also one of the prime examples of true blaxploitation cinema. It stars William Marshall of Blacula fame as the exorcist, Carol Speed from The Big Bird Cage as the possessed woman, Austin Stoker from Assault On Precinct Thirteen, Terry Carter, and Juanita Moore from Imitation Of Life... truly an exceptional cast brought together in a film that must be seen to be believed.

Carol Speed portrays the girl named Abby who is a minister's wife and marriage counselor, qualities that do not prevent a demon from entering her body in one unusual shower scene. Abby then spouts foul language, goes nuts in a church, scares a white woman to death, jumps a funeral director in a hearse, acts like she's on drugs and generally gets very weird throughout. William Marshall is the man who must deal with the demon, and here his Shakespearean training shows. Austin Stoker is the friend who helps Terry Carter deal with a possessed wife. Juanita for some reason keeps talking about having a good man and eating fried chicken. All the cliches are in this one, and only the truly jaded won't be offended in some way!

SEE Abby throw a man across a room! SEE Abby seduce a man in a hearse! SEE Carol Speed talk like Isaac Hayes! SEE one obviously derivative yet well done scene after another! SEE an exorcism in a disco! SEE Abby fight her way out of a hospital! SEE Juanita Moore look like she wished she was elsewhere! Try and catch this one if you can, and become one of the initiated!

Wonderful blaxsploitation spin on The Exorcist

Author: pooch-8 from Fargo, North Dakota
4 January 1999

One of the strangest, wildest, and weirdest blaxsploitation movies, Abby is an African-American retelling of The Exorcist, with Carol Speed as the possessed title character. The chaste and devout wife of a reverend, Abby spends her time as a marriage counselor in her neighborhood parish. Through mind-boggling misfortune having to do with the accidental release of a vicious demon, Abby begins to exhibit odd behavior (giving out salacious marital advice in one hysterical scene) and a noticeable change in the vocal register. Transforming from the practically virginal naif into a sex-starved ghoul with a hyena's chortle, Abby takes off into the night of dance clubs and singles bars. Father-in-law William Marchall races home from Africa to perform the exorcism, but will he be too late?

black Horror movie

Author: morrayreaves10
1 June 2014

I saw this movie when I was about 5, this movie scared the heck out of me. The idea of a movie where the woman talks like the devil and kills people was very creepy. I remember as a child sitting in the car at the drive in and spending most of my time on the backseat floor behind my moms chair crying. So many years later I was able to but it on Amazon and I watched it again with my brother and mom and family and was like wow this movie was funny in that old campy way but still a little scary. But it was fun to watch. I think it would be a good crowd pleaser, but we have to get a straight copy that does not look so choppy and look like it skips parts as well.

Not Horrible

Author: artpf from United States
10 October 2013

A possession film about a marriage counselor who becomes possessed by a Demon of Sexuality, when her father in law, an Exorcist, freed it while in Africa.

He returns home, along with his son and a policeman to perform an African Exorcism on her.

One of the better blaxplotation flicks to come our of the 70s. The story is OK, and the acting is decent and although a low budget movie, the special effects are sort of kewl.

I'd give it a solid 5. It's worth watching id you are a fan of the genre.

Lower Grade Exorcist? Not Much Lower.

Author: Ed Barcas III from Colorado
12 August 2012

A minister's wife becomes possessed by a demon that was probably unleashed by his father while he was excavating in Nigeria. If you take 'The Exorcist', 'The Amityville Horror' and 'Scream Blacula, Scream', and mash them all together, you have 1974's 'Abby'. I was not expecting much from this film and maybe that's why I am SO shockingly surprised at it's quality. It's not "so bad it's good", it's just good! Although the disco music seems out of place in a horror setting like this, the acting is decent and the story is well told. There is no doubt that the plot is a REALLY close copy of a much more popular movie, but to me that doesn't hurt it one bit. In fact when you see the lead character Abby starting to act weird, you almost feel true sorrow for her and her family because if you ever watched 'The Exorcist', and I'm sure 99.998% of you saw that film before this one, you have some idea of what is in store for them all. Because of Abby's age, they are allowed to show a little more sexual deviance which is a nice evil touch, especially from a minister's wife. The special effects are well done and the constantly changing voices within the possessed lead female are great. The movie itself has a very creepy element to it and it is a little more action packed than it's big studio twin (slightly older twin). In fact, if you just look at it as a sequel to 'The Exorcist' rather than a rip off, I think you'll enjoy it much more. Trust me, Friedkin would much rather have 'Abby' as his sequel than the real 'Exorcist Part 2'! The crew of 'Abby' had plenty of original ideas outside of the film that they were copying and the movie deserves a lot more respect.

A good black exorcist to enjoy

Author: tommy61986 from Puerto Rico
28 January 2010

I remember seeing this movie with my father as a teenager in Chicago.as a matter of fact we saw it 9 times in one day.from am to pm.glad we did because it was pull off by a lawsuit by good o warner bros.The Exorcist was good for the white folks and scare a lot of us.Abby was a version for the afro-American.just like Blacula version of Dracula.Carol speed did her best performance since The Mack.the late William Marshall playing the black priest leashing out the sexual demon from Africa..the f/x was cheesy but funny.what do you want from a movie that only cost $200,000 to make.William Girdler never get to see the $4 millions but wasn't afraid to challenge the exorcist or warner bros.this was all a races attack,because beyond the door wasn't attack as much as Abby.but i agree that Abby should be release on a good DVD remaster.Cinefear is okay but it's like watching a bootleg version.i enjoy Abby back then and i still enjoy Abby today in the good o tropical island..

Great exploitation of THE EXORCIST

Author: udar55 from Williamsburg, VA
14 November 2008

Bishop and Archaeologist Garnett Williams (BLACULA's William Marshall) unleashed a demon in Africa and it travels all the way to the US to possess his daughter-in-law Abby (Carol Speed). Things move quickly as Abby starts cursing, vomiting, abusing her husband Emmett (Terry Carter) and attacking an old lady. Garnett returns to the US to exorcise this demon but he, Emmett and Abby's detective brother Cass (Austin Stoker) must find her first as she has disappeared into the city.

This is pretty cheaply made but entertaining as hell. Speed is quite over-the-top at points but it all works. Hearing the deep base voice throwing obscenities is both hilarious and shocking. The rest of the cast handles it all well, keeping a serious face during the absurd proceedings. Director William Girdler wastes little time (the film runs 85 minutes) and delivers a few atmospheric bits, like when the entity is first released in a cave and when it enters the Williams' house. Warner Bros. apparently successfully sued AIP and got this pulled from theaters. A shame really because, outside of a foul mouthed demon, there is very little similarity and I doubt WB owns the copyright on films about demonic possession.

abby: grindhouse entry

Author: babyjaguar
25 August 2007

i had always heard of this film, since my childhood in the late 80's. i had seen that it was seen on television, always missed. it. even in Mexico , i had seen movie posters of it being shown years after its release from the 1970's. but about two years, through cinefear i finally got a DVD print of it.

i actually had many expectations from it and also considering it slow budget history, i had certain expectations. now, this film having caused many problems from warner bros. i actually thought it was shame it was not allowed to have its official release.

it does not compare to the high budget of the exorcist, and riding on its "borrowed" black exploitation antics, abby stand on its own. carol speed actually delivers through conventional acting, but she definitely owns the character.

for me it most interesting scene, abby who seems to be choking during a church mass, as the preacher is delivering his ceremony abby's choking becomes worse and causes a distraction in the church. i like it because it seems real, no special effects. i had read of possessions of people during church masses, people reacting to physical conditions.

of course, this film by no means is genius at work, but one can appreciates filmmakers like girder to produce movies out side of the Hollywood environment. and abby's demonic possession are ghetto fabulous, creating situation that would have never happen with linda blair.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]