IMDb > "Shazam!" (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Shazam!" More at IMDbPro »

Captain Marvel triggered the production of Superman: The Movie

Author: Mike-309 from Guatemala City, Guatemala
8 March 2003

Back in the mid-70's, Captain Marvel became the sensation of superheroes on TV. It had mysticism, morale and emotion; even though, Captain Marvel never fought against a foe that could match his abilities. And the special effects were cheap, considering the time it was made.

The storyline was much more interesting. Billy Batson was privileged by receiving the combined powers of the Six Wise Immortals: Solomon, Hercules, Agamenon, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury. Each one gave him respectively: wisdom, strength, courage, stamina, invulnerability, and speed. He only had to invoke the acrostic of their names: SHAZAM!, and he transformed himself into the Mightiest Mortal of Earth (with Superman-like powers, without the inconvenience of kryptonite).

Alongside him, was Mentor (who probably was a former receiver of the powers). Both of them traveled through the country, helping the ones in need.

The most interesting part came when Captain Marvel and Isis (a "sister" TV show) made cameos in their respective TV shows. It was nice to see both characters working together, and helping each other when the situation was getting out of hand.

A Nice Show for Kids

Author: mikeg55_94954 from United States
7 January 2006

I just watched an old episode and it was light hearted entertainment with nice morals and a good message. Unlike that other reviewer who is either homophobic, has a complex, or was trying to be funny, I saw the relationship between Billy Batson and Mentor as an Obi Wan and Luke thing. He was being a mentor!!! Hence the name. I don't know why people like that have to bash anything that has 2 males in it, like Batman and Robin, etc. Two men can be friends. An older men can pass on his wisdom to the young without being gay. And if anything would endanger Billy in anyway, all he had to say was SHAZAM!!!! All you haters get a life and give this nice 1974 show a break.

Saturday Mornings fakeness at its best

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
26 October 2002

This show was part of my 70's childhood,but still it was the most fakeness live action series ever depicted for the minds of the Saturday Morning youth. The series was called "Shazam!",and it was produced by Filmation Productions and it was on CBS-TV from 1974-76 and continued in repeated episodes throughout the rest of the decade. Even though,it was part of Captain Marvel was played by two different actors(Season 1-3 by Jackson Bostwick,and in Seasons 3-4 by Bruce Davey who went on to do a numerous array of TV shows and specials) the special effects were some of the hokeyest ever where in one scene our hero is flying through the air(but WE kids know he was connected to a wire with a fan blowing through him under a very low budget of lets say,around 50 to 70K),and others(like they travel the country in a Winnebago in the same exact neighborhood where they last were just up the block from the previous episode) that were a laughing stock. But lets just say that the series from the early 70's has found a home,and its part of TV Land's late night line-up for LOST forever series and sitcoms. Catch it on TV Land!

NOTE: Coming soon to TV Land,more of the best/worst of the live action Filmation genre series from the 1970's continues including LOST shows like "Isis"(starring former Vogue 70's fashion model Joanna Cameron in her first and ONLY TV "Saturday Morning" series),"The Adventures of Thunder","Ark II","Jason of Star Command",and "Space Academy"(which stars Jonathan Harris of Lost In Space,James Doohan of Star Trek,and Pamela Ferdiyn of Lassie). Don't Miss It!

I used to love this show

Author: theopus
3 January 2004

When I was a Kid I loved this show... I never missed an episode. Now I re-see it on Nick at night and realize I have been desensitised. After the show I used to run outside and over to my friends house and we would play super heros the rest of the day... Superman could still kick Shazams butt... However Billy Batson turning into Shazam was way cooler then clark kent running into a phone booth....

S-weet H-unk A-nd Z-any A-ged M-an!....SHAZAM!

Author: Poseidon-3 from Cincinnati, OH
16 October 2002

"SHAZAM!!" With this desperately bleated out word, young Billy Batson (Gray) turns from a 25 year-old teenager to a bland, 30-something guy in a red body suit who saves horses lives and puts out school fires. (...a far cry from the loftier efforts of the comic book superhero who inspired this Saturday morning kid's show!) Pretty, youngish Gray (who owns one shirt) travels the globe (actually the same neighborhood over and over) in a Winnebago with his 'Mentor' (chickenhawk Tremayne sporting the worst comb-over in the history of TV.) While Tremayne dispenses sage advice with his formerly-velvet announcer voice, Gray learns lessons each week from an animated (actually one picture in which only the lips move!) array of 'elders'. These elders spout platitudes on how things should be and then, miraculously, Gray and Tremayne stumble across an example in which they can put their newfound knowledge to work. On cue, a danger comes about which is beyond Gray's ability to solve. This invariably means that Gray will have to call out "Shazam!" (an acronym of the elders' names) and Captain Marvel will appear in his place. Marvel was played by two men, neither of whom were able to get anywhere after this show, though the second one did do a large amount of TV guest roles. While they are handsome, they are hopelessly average in build and strength. The costume just sort of clings here and there, rather than being stretched across rippled muscles. The producers may as well have gotten the guy who played "Dennis the Menace's" dad to do the part. The poor guys are further humiliated by eternally cruddy flying effects in which the men lie on a board while a fan blows on them and stock footage of sky is projected behind them. More hilarious is watching Tremayne ALMOST keep his hands off Gray. He paws on the kid at every opportunity, telling him what to do, and his "this just in" vocal style adds a campy, homoerotic flavor to their scenes. Still, the show is irresistible and watching it brings back a lot of memories. The overbearing music is like a brainwashing device. Once one hears it again, it sticks in the mind and can't be excised. A flood of childhood memories involving jumping off a rock and landing face down in the dirt reappears. A delightful companion piece is it's spin-off "Isis".

A Worthy, Enjoyable Show

Author: ramsfan from United States
6 February 2011

Shazam! represented another great memory of childhood in the 70's and a weekly Saturday morning TV staple. Billy Batson (Michael Gray) is a teenage young man who "travels the highways and byways" in a Winnebago camper with an older gentleman, Mentor, (Les Tremayne) seeking to help people in need. Given the power by the immortal gods Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Apollo and Mercury to transform himself into Captain Marvel upon yelling the word "Shazam", Billy tries to right wrongs, put people on a righteous path and rescue those in distress. Each episode presented a moral parable involving the importance of honesty, lawfulness, or trust. Young viewers were treated to an entertaining, yet meaningful half hour of television without being beaten over the head with self-righteousness. And parents could be assured of their children watching a wholesome Saturday morning program that helped to instill life lessons.

Devoid of great special effects or visuals, it is no doubt considered "cheesy" by today's standards of programming but was nonetheless a highly enjoyable show in its day. Unfortunately, rarely are shows like this offered to kids today, and Saturday morning cartoons are all but a memory.

In this sick world we live in today, a show about a young man driving around with an older stranger would be considered unsavory- a sad reminder of just how we've regressed as a society. But to a young kid in the 70's, this was just a cool show to watch, completely free of any dubious intentions or improprieties. Childhood simplicity is a wonderful thing- and Shazam! didn't disappoint. Wish it were still on today.

Good Show

Author: mark "markster" spence from United States
3 November 2005

This show was good for what it was. Too bad Filmation couldn't afford to get the rights to Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel, Jr. Instead, they created the Isis series. That would've been cool to see Billy & Mary Batson, Freddy Freeman, and Mentor and/or Uncle Dudley. Imagine seeing one or all of the Marvels transforming and on occasion working with Isis. Interesting points: John Davey (Captain Marvel #2) left show business in the early 1990's and is currently in the real estate field in northern California; Les Tremayne (Mentor) passed away in late December of 2003, Michael Gray (Billy Batson) is the owner, along with his wife, of a floral shop in L.A., Jackson Bostwick (Captain Marvel #1) is basically the only one still in the business. Joanna Cameron (Isis) left the business in the 1980's , was in the medical profession (a registered nurse) for awhile, and as of recently, is a hotel marketing manager in Hawaii. The show's budget per episode was $70,000 with a crew of about 80 people.

I'll never forget this serie

Author: Marcival from Chile, South America
10 February 2002

What can I say. In South America the spanish version for this TV show was on the air till 1977 and it was great for me. I'll never forget the ending morals what show me about the good and bad things of life. I am not a fan of Captain Marvel but I think that Billy Batson and Mentor show me little pieces of the person that I am today. I must thank for that. Of course if I could see it again I'd be laughing about how Captain Marvel use to fly... but I couldn't ask for more on that time.

25 years ago This September... (Special Interesting Facts)

Author: DgrWoman (dangerwoman@prodigy.net) from Atlanta, Georgia USA
20 September 1999

This TV show got the kid's Saturday Mornings going. For 3 seasons, the world mightiest mortal saved lives, fought evil drug pushers and ended the episode with an educational moralistic message, which became a Filmation staple.

Captain Marvel, "Shazam" very underrated

Author: (richardleeevange@aol.com) from Pasadena, California
28 April 2000

"Shazam" was a very good show considering it had a budget of $70,000 per episode and only consisted of 28 episodes. The show brought life back to the D.C. Comics character, who was revived after a 20 year absence. Had the show had a prime time slot and been based more on the comic, it's potential would have been even greater.