Sam McCloud is a Marshal from a Taos, New Mexico, who takes a temporary assignment in the New York City Police. His keen sense of detail and detecting subtle clues, learned from his experience, enable him to nab unsuspecting criminals despite his unbelieving boss.
Series about an ex-convict-turned-private-investigator named Jim Rockford who would rather run away than fight and would rather go fishing than work. He isn't a coward, and he isn't lazy -- just rather on the cautious side, that's all. And he bears a very strong resemblance to Western television hero Bret Maverick. Rockford is sometimes assisted (and sometimes deterred) in his cases by friends Dennis Becker (a police detective), Evelyn "Angel" Martin (his cowardly former cellmate) and pretty Beth Davenport (his lawyer). Written by
Marty McKee <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The show was a co-production among three companies--the production companies owned by Roy Huggins and James Garner and Universal Television (Studios). Garner sued Universal claiming he was not being paid his share of the syndication profits. After several years of litigation, Universal settled out of court. Exact terms are not known, and it was agreed between the parties that the settlement would remain confidential. Cherokee Productions was the name of Garner's production company, which was known to own 37.5% of the series, leaving 62.5% to be split between Huggins' company and Universal, but it was not known how much of the show was owned by each after Cherokee's share. See more »
Even though Jim Rockford always drives a current model Firebird, many episodes feature stock footage shot with older models, especially in the 1975-77 seasons. See more »
Although this series may look like just another private eye series from the 1970's, it is so much more. The show has great one liners, interesting cases, maybe one or two too many car chases, but above all, the show has some great characters. Every episode has interesting, unusual, complex characters running through it. Jim Rockford himself is a private detective but also a former con man and he is not above pretending to be another person or pulling a con in order to help solve his cases. The writing and acting were always top notch and it is no wonder that alumni from this show went on to do such projects as "Magnum, P.I.", "Wiseguy," and "The Sopranos." Enjoy, you will laugh, you will be surprised and you will be impressed.
35 of 36 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?