IMDb > "Movin' On" (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Movin' On" More at IMDbPro »

Sweet memories from the mid 70s

Author: David C. Bohn from Marion, Ohio
21 September 2003

I never missed this show. Tuesday nights, at 8 p.m. CST, I was there, waiting for 'Movin' On'. I even took off work one night, to catch it.

With dependable old Claude Akins in the lead, and a catchy theme song by Merle Haggard, I figured this show couldn't miss. And I was quite disappointed when it got cancelled in '76.

Some of the plots were pretty silly - Most notably, the one where Sonny (Akins) makes a statement about truckers being 'The toughest men in America', which gets picked up by the press, and leads to a slug from a Logger, and a stint in Marine Corps boot camp - But there was that certain 'something' that kept me watching.

Akins - Perfect casting, if there ever was any - Fit the role of a gypsy trucker to a tee, and became one of my TV favorites (Though, oddly enough, I never watched 'Sheriff Lobo'). Converse - A heckuva fine Actor - Makes a great sidekick (Too bad he hasn't gone on to bigger and better things), and occasional appearances by Art Metrano and Rosey Grier add comedy relief.

It's not available on tape or DVD, and, judging from it's low popularity, it probably never will be. I can only hope that TV Land, Hallmark, or Trio will show the series, someday.

I loved it

Author: nvrblonde from United States
27 June 2006

I was the ripe old age of 10 when this show came on, but I never missed it. My mother and I used to make time every week to sit down with a bottle of Coca-Cola and watch it. The very first 45 (yes! a vinyl record!!) I bought was the theme song to this show--I thought! I ended up with "Movin' On" by Bad Company! I was very upset. Looking back I don't know why I thought I'd be able to find the theme song to a television show about truckers in the "Top 20" section. Anyway, I would love to watch this again on TVLand, or someplace. It's one of the sadly forgotten 70s shows that were very entertaining, even if they weren't the most popular or well-known.

This was a weekly series starring Claude Akins and Frank Converse about two good-hearted truckers getting into different adventures each week

Author: gleetroy from United States
9 September 2006

This was one of my favorite shows from the seventies. Claude Akins was a solid, strong actor. He always was and it was nice to see him get his own show. Anotyher attempt at his own show "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo" was dismal by comparison. Frank Converse proved he had good acting chops although he played the I don't want to be a star" attitude a bit much.

This was a good, if not great, show and one I have not seen since its original run. I'd like to see it again. It basically told about the adventures of two good-hearted truckers on the road.

Get it if you can!!

A Series About Being A Long Haul Independent Trucker

Author: Wolf (alphaspace) from Baltimore, Maryland
14 July 2001

This was a series about the trials and tribulations of being a long haul over the roads independent trucker. The core role was played convincingly by a rather cummudeonly but still emminately likable Cluade Atkins. The set of Movin On was effectively the open road and all the interesting people and places connected by it.

I think this show was lavishly produced and tried to be very authentic to the world it tried to depict. This show might not have been the ER of its day but even now Moving On is still a charming deversion on a day where you just want a bit of enjoyable wholesome chewing gum for the eyes.

I did rather like the series as it did show a slice of life and I like / needed such shows to aid in my evolving understanding of society. Moving On did follow the formula of a series where the main character was placed in all the predictable scapes a trucker could get into and you watched as he got out of them without being a ripe stinker. The plot lines were exactly as you expected and this show contained few plot surprises. I must admit I was a severely disabled kid who looked forward to seeing this show every week. Thanks to Moving On I came as close as I could to seeing what it was really like to really drive a huge 18 wheel truck over the open roads. I guess for me Movin On will always be a blast in my books! Thanks for the time behind the wheel dude!

Great Show - I could relate!

Author: irishcoffee from United States
18 May 2007

I bought a used Rig in 1974 for $500 down and started cross country trucking. When this show was on, all the truck stop TV lounges were filled with Truckers. We made fun of some things, but we could relate to many of the story lines. Very few of us could afford that KW, but it was nice to dream. But having problems with brokers, Smokies and the public in general were familiar themes. But also there were the good times when people were given and gave help just because they needed it and nothing was expected in return. And my trucking days lasted longer than the series....but only by a couple of years....unlike Sonny, I could not make a lot of money.

A Rip Roarin' Good Time

Author: Scott from Brussels
27 February 2003

This show ruled! I can't believe it lasted only two seasons. The realism was astounding. It may not have been the ER of it's time, but it was certainly the Chicago Hope of it's time. I missed watching Fonzie jump the garbage cans on Happy Days just to watch this show. This show laid ground work for shows like Knight Rider and Love Boat. What else can I say?

Show is finally on TV again!

Author: retlaw149 from United States
2 July 2011

If you are old enough to remember the 1970's, the "trucker as a modern day cowboy" phenomena and the great CB fad (10-4 Good Buddy and watch out for Smokey) you remember and maybe even saw this series when it first aired!

I watched this show during its first run in 74-76 and had dim memories of it (I remembered the premise of truck drivers and Claude Akins being in it), but couldn't remember the name of the show or characters or much else about it. I had some of the merchandising tie-ins from the series including a model of the Kenworth and the mobile CB rig (a cheap transceiver radio that was low powered and only worked on CB CH 14 both of which were legal limitations for an unlicensed CB radio at the time).

For those hoping to catch this series again (since it apparently was never released on DVD or VHS) the Retro TV Network has started showing it as of late June 2011! As I write this it's only been on for a week, but I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane and seeing these shows for the first time since I was a kid watching them when they first aired.

It wasn't the greatest series, but I always liked Claude and I especially love all of the location filming that shows the world and highways of the 1970's and seeing the guest stars of the era.

Hope everyone that misses it will be able to catch it again.

Classic trucker series

Author: lightninboy from South Dakota
13 May 2005

Claude Akins played Sonny Pruett. Frank Converse played Will Chandler. Sonny was making payments on a truck. Supposed to have been worth $45,000 back then. 1975? Kenworth conventional in a time when cabovers were more common for over-the-road semis in the eastern U.S. Seems like maybe Sonny was making payments on a 40' Fruehauf van too. His rig was on a Sheriff's auction once on the show. You used to be able to buy a model kit of the Movin' On tractor which said it had a 370 Cummins and a 16-speed, but I understand that the model kit wasn't necessarily true to the Kenworth on the show. Seems like Sonny's home town was Phoenix. That's where the great truck race was, anyway. Marine camp. NASCAR racing. Mobile, Alabama. A lady chicken farmer. San Francisco. A tobacco farm. A pianist in Virginia and Washington, D.C. Sonny singing in Nashville. Will renting a boat: was it for lobsters or shrimp? Trading rigs with Moose and Benji. The Pigpen was an old van trailer and a GMC crackerbox with a sleeper. It eventually got blown up. A trailer with a bomb in it on a ferry going across Chesapeke Bay or somewhere. Sonny renting another Kenworth and painting it green. Carrying a casket on the fifth wheel in New Orleans. Pairing up with a father and son and hauling fruit through Minnesota to Winnepeg. A hot air balloon and an Edsel.